Author Topic: The dog appreciation thread. Don't like dogs?... Stay the eff out.  (Read 70090 times)

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • welcome to the wasteland
Re: The dog appreciation thread. Don't like dogs?... Stay the eff out.
« Reply #245 on: July 09, 2015, 03:12:54 PM »
I'm pretty sure 90% of the reason why I'm still cool chilling in our family home (it's customary to live with your parents up until your late 20's around here, but still) is our dog. Dogs are potent antidepressants.

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

type : mora : and delete the spaces for a surprise

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #246 on: July 12, 2015, 12:14:32 PM »
Well...it's coming up on 2 years (in late August) that we lost our dog Drake. This has been the longest stretch of my life without a dog in it. But, I think the wife and I have made the decision to get another puppy. As much as I LOVE dogs it has been nice not having to care for one...it's been a nice break from it. But, our kiddos are in prime puppy/dog years (5,8,9) and we did "promise" them that when we moved into our new home we'd get another dog. That was a tad over a year ago.

My wife and I feel like we are denying our boys something special by not having that family dog that they (we) grow with as the boys age....that special family dog. We did have Drake but he was "my" dog that I had long before I ever even met my wife. This next doggy will actually be "our" family dog.

We've been looking at Boxers and have narrowed it down to two different breeders. I've been in contact with them both and honestly I'm not quite sure how we are going to choose from the (4) we've identified as prospects....two from each breeder. Anyway.....if all goes as planned I suppose sometime in the beginning of August when these little guys reach 8 weeks I'll be posting pics of the newest member of the Miller Clan.

Well....we got a Pup!!! We ended up abandoning the breeder/boxer idea due to a couple things...one was $$, couldn't bring ourselves to spend $1000+ on a dog when there are so many out there that need a home. So, we packed up the kiddos yesterday morning and went traveling around to the various PETCO's and PETSMART's that have the adoptions on Saturday mornings.

We found a litter of pups that was really cute and the little girl we chose stuck out like a sore thumb. Every other pup in her litter was all one color...the tan around her eyes....and she had this pretty unique pattern. We met the mom...she was about 35lbs and the agency seems to think she's some sort of Labish/Larger Hound?? mix?? Who knows? We shall see. We are so happy to have another doggy and the kiddos are super pumped....so, I am a dog owner again and loving it!!

So DTF....Meet Lucy!!!

Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #247 on: July 12, 2015, 12:17:27 PM »
Cute little dog; I just hope for your neighbor's sake, it is not one of those little yippee dogs that barks at EVERYONE. ;)

I say that because a new neighbor of mine has TWO little dogs that literally bark at EVERYONE they see every time she takes them out.  :facepalm:

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #248 on: July 12, 2015, 12:21:20 PM »
Cute little dog; I just hope for your neighbor's sake, it is not one of those little yippee dogs that barks at EVERYONE. ;)

We plan to incorporate this little girl into as much as we can and hope that exposure makes her pretty chill. I'm hoping she has enough of the moms lab in her for her to get to be a medium size dog. I'd love it if she were to get the size of her mom because she was a perfect size.....not too small and not too big.

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #249 on: July 12, 2015, 12:43:21 PM »
That dog is adorable. I'm so glad you decided to go the adoption route! That's a nice shad of orange on her face.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #250 on: July 12, 2015, 02:17:47 PM »

We plan to incorporate this little girl into as much as we can and hope that exposure makes her pretty chill. I'm hoping she has enough of the moms lab in her for her to get to be a medium size dog. I'd love it if she were to get the size of her mom because she was a perfect size.....not too small and not too big.

Sounds good! When I said little yippee dogs, I was talking about those dogs that never get any bigger than like 8 lbs., and that never shut the hell up. :lol

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #251 on: July 12, 2015, 10:26:22 PM »

Sounds good! When I said little yippee dogs, I was talking about those dogs that never get any bigger than like 8 lbs., and that never shut the hell up. :lol

Yeah, well... we got a 60lb boxer next door that never shuts the fuck up.  Just the sound of my back door opening, and the thing goes bonkers.  Fortunately, my dogs are well behaved enough to not even engage.  I often get a look of 'what the fuck is his problem?' from them.   :lol

Cute little girl there Gary.   :tup

Edit:  Fix'd for fucking up my quoting
« Last Edit: July 13, 2015, 12:25:06 PM by jingle.boy »
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline mike099

• do or do not; there is no try
« Reply #252 on: July 13, 2015, 12:07:52 PM »
Great looking dog.  My, what big paws she has.  Do larger paws mean larger dog? 
Quote from: Flying BIZKIT

Yeah, I hate when I visit the local circus and all they fucking play is Haken.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #253 on: July 13, 2015, 12:21:37 PM »
Great looking dog.  My, what big paws she has.  Do larger paws mean larger dog?

Thanks!!

I've always heard that but I'm not sure if that's just folklore or not?

Offline CrimsonSunrise

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #255 on: July 14, 2015, 01:24:18 AM »
Lucy is adorable, Gary!  Congrats!  Chad...  I'm not shocked about your neighbor Boxer, if she's left in the yard a lot.  Boxers are a breed that do NOT do well stuck out in the yard.  They are one of the most social/family oriented breeds there is and need the interaction.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #256 on: July 14, 2015, 10:07:00 AM »
Well... it's not left in the yard much.  It doesn't get much outdoor time at all.  Long story summed up by the teenage kids brought home a cute a cuddly little puppy dog; nobody took care of or trained it - they didn't even fix him.  Now the thing is uncontrollable.  Mrs.Jingle swears the thing is gonna come over our fence one day.  It's certainly tall/strong enough to do so.  Fortunately, it's not aggressive, just completely lacking in any social skills.
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline CrimsonSunrise

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #257 on: July 14, 2015, 05:11:19 PM »
Ahh...yeah, that scenario will do it.  Sorry for you guys.  Have you guys tried to socialize with it through their family?  If not, it sure couldn't hurt if it knew you guys.   Hell I'd try anything to stop the annoying barking.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #258 on: July 20, 2015, 09:49:18 AM »
Took Lucy on her first camping trip this past weekend. We went with my Grandpa. She was so good, didn't fuss at all and just hung out with us. She enjoyed herself down by the River's edge...did some digging and running around. I didn't get a pic of it...but I did end up taking her 15-20 foot off shore and placing her in the water to swim. Her instincts kicked in and she was a champ!

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #259 on: July 20, 2015, 03:29:11 PM »
Lucyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy  :heart

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #260 on: July 20, 2015, 03:37:37 PM »
I'm not the biggest fan of dogs. I don't hate them but i'd never want one.

However... Our cafe allows dogs to sit inside with their owners provided they are well behaved.

Well...

I have to say - the dogs are extremely well behaved indoors. Much more so than any of the fucking little kids that are allowed in. Screaming whinging, running around, throwing stuff, being extremely disobedient.  :yeahright :yeahright

Some times - people that bring in their dogs - you don't even know they had a dog until they are leaving - because their dog has been absolutely silent and sat still the entire time.

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #261 on: July 21, 2015, 11:35:43 PM »
My dog would not be well behaved. With people, probably, but with other dogs in the cafe, absolutely not, since she's really scared of most of them. We're trying really hard to re-socialize her (my mom's had some success lately) but we got her when she was already 8 months old and although her behavior's been spotless otherwise (she knew a few tricks, was housebroken etc) she has obviously had something very bad happen to her involving other dogs :-\

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #262 on: August 19, 2015, 08:31:32 PM »
Winding down for the night.....

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #263 on: August 26, 2015, 04:08:40 PM »
My GF wants to get a rescue dog and I think most of you know what I mean by that.  My concern is, even though those types of dogs need a loving home more than ever, they also come with some baggage and behavioral issues.  Yeah, I know, that's what you need to be prepared for and committed to.  I get that, but you also have to be ready for it.  Has anyone here had some bad experiences with rescue dogs or perhaps on a more positive note, good experiences?
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #264 on: August 27, 2015, 05:52:34 AM »
I wouldn't worry too much about the title of a rescue dog. When we adopted Norman, we was from a group of 75 dogs up here from North Carolina. I would say that 90% of the dogs were under four months old, and there were next to none more than a year old. If you rescue a puppy, you really shouldn't have to worry about behavioral issues. If there are any, the dog is still plenty young to discipline easily.

As far as bad experiences go... When I was younger, maybe 10 or 11, my grandma and grandpa adopted a dog that looked similar to the dog from My Dog Skip. It was a great dog. It was quiet, loved kids, and it obeyed orders relatively well. However, the dog had more energy that they knew what to do with. It was hyper as all hell and spent the whole day bouncing off walls. My grandpa had medical complications (I was too young to really know/remember what they were) which lead to him having a tube coming out of his stomach to allow stuff to drain out. One day the dog jumped on him while he was asleep on the couch and literally ripped that tube out him. They gave the dog away and adopted a Yorkie. Much easier to manage. I wouldn't let that story deter you though. Part of the problem in that scenario was they had a dog that probably needed a good three miles of walking a day, and between being old and taking care of my grandpa, my grandma could only manage a lap around her neighborhood a day. Some dog breeds need to be tired out or they behave like that. Norman (my dog) is kind of like that. Luckily, he'll obey orders to chill out if we give them, but if we don't his energy level always seems to be a 100%. Even after a five mile walk, he barely seems phased.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2015, 07:08:31 AM by Chino »

Offline CrimsonSunrise

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #265 on: August 27, 2015, 11:28:25 AM »
My GF wants to get a rescue dog and I think most of you know what I mean by that.  My concern is, even though those types of dogs need a loving home more than ever, they also come with some baggage and behavioral issues.  Yeah, I know, that's what you need to be prepared for and committed to.  I get that, but you also have to be ready for it.  Has anyone here had some bad experiences with rescue dogs or perhaps on a more positive note, good experiences?

My 15 year old pitty was a rescue.  She obviously was a lil gunshy of kids.  Our assumption was that her kids did something to her.  She was OK with kids, but we were always aware of the potential when kids were around her and were careful.  So yeah, a lot of rescue dogs have issues.  I would say a good majority of those issues are either workable, or even curable through professional training.  Other than that issue, which was actually a very small one seeing we didn't have kids, she was an incredible companion and 15 year friend.  If you find a potential rescue spend some time with it to observe and evaluate if possible.   Good luck Brotha! 

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #266 on: August 27, 2015, 02:21:17 PM »
Shelley was a rescue dog, but not a rescue in the classical sense that she was in a shelter, with other dogs etc. We basically got her fresh off the street after she was lodged with a woman who tried to find her owners unsuccessfully and we concluded she was abandoned for good. We got the really good end of the bargain - she was housebroken, even knew a few tricks. I suppose they left her because they couldn't be bothered with finding a home for a mixed race dog, because we've had it confirmed that one of the parents was a 100% border collie. Or they left her mom and someone else took her in and threw the pups out, since a lot of pups who look like her are cropping up in the same area all the time, and border collies are very rare here.

On the downside, she has an issue with dogs, and a few strays attacked her and my mom several times. So, it's a toss. But it's entirely curable, she's made advances. It's about how bad you want it, and I don't think I could ever buy instead of adopting. You feel like you're contributing to the world. Every time a horrible story of an abandoned dog comes out in the media, I hug the hell out of her, we were so lucky to get her and she was so lucky to find a loving home.

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #267 on: August 28, 2015, 11:54:05 AM »
Excellent!  I'm sure there are a lot of rescue success stories out there.  Good to see.   :tup
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #268 on: September 18, 2015, 08:33:12 PM »
This is where dogs sleep when they're outside.....right?

Offline The Cat Of Tuscany

• "The truth is the truth and the only thing you can do is to live with it."
« Reply #269 on: September 22, 2015, 07:17:31 PM »
Hey guys... I'm lost.  Can someone please direct me to the cat thread?

Thanks

Offline mike099

• do or do not; there is no try
« Reply #270 on: September 22, 2015, 07:27:30 PM »
Hey guys... I'm lost.  Can someone please direct me to the cat thread?

Thanks

Damn.  I thought we were getting some more cool dog pics!
Quote from: Flying BIZKIT

Yeah, I hate when I visit the local circus and all they fucking play is Haken.

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #271 on: October 12, 2015, 10:12:44 PM »
Not an actual picture of dogs playing a card game, but this picture is too awesome and to be deprived of posting this would be criminal.

The backstory to creating this picture.

Offline SystematicThought

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
« Reply #272 on: October 12, 2015, 10:40:11 PM »
I don't mean to get everybody down in this thread, but 5 weeks ago, we got the news that Max here (aged 9) has high grade lymphoma and was given 4-6 weeks left to live. We've given him steroids to make him more comfortable, but in the end the result is still the same. They told us one day he'll let you know that he's done. I took this photo with him last night before I left to go back to school. I'll miss him when the time comes, he's an awesome dog. You'd never be able to tell he's sick in this photo. He's the same old Max, he just pants a lot.

Just thought I'd share the awesomeness of Max and what may be his last photo I take.

God have mercy on a man
Who doubts what he's sure of.
-Bruce Springsteen

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #273 on: October 13, 2015, 07:01:21 AM »
I'm sorry, good sir. This situation is never easy.

What a handsome boy (the dog).
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #274 on: October 13, 2015, 11:20:26 AM »
Sorry to hear that about Max.....Losing a buddy like that is tough. He's a good lookin' fella' and I'm certain those memories you have of him will sustain you through the grief.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #275 on: October 13, 2015, 12:22:25 PM »
 :sad:  Really not much else to say.

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #276 on: October 13, 2015, 12:31:53 PM »
*hugs*

Offline SystematicThought

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
« Reply #277 on: October 13, 2015, 12:40:44 PM »
Thanks guy. I didn't mean to bring the mood down. Just thought I'd share Max with you all. We have another dog as well. Miller--he's 9 years old as well. He and Max are two peas in pod though and I will miss their interactions. Here's Max and Miller a few years ago.

(Miller on the left, Max on right)
God have mercy on a man
Who doubts what he's sure of.
-Bruce Springsteen

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #278 on: October 13, 2015, 01:01:29 PM »
Your not bringing down the mood. If your dog could read this forum he'd love the love you're showing him.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #279 on: October 13, 2015, 02:32:42 PM »
They're both adorable!