Author Topic: 2014-01-15 - Coliseu do Porto - Porto, POR  (Read 104247 times)

Offline Shadow2222

Re: 2014-01-15 - Coliseu do Porto - Porto, POR
« Reply #840 on: January 16, 2014, 02:22:57 PM »
Well, here's another "Space-Dye Vest" video from last night's performance.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yj1PtXospXI

Ah this is actually the same fellow who had his video taken down! He says he got hit with a copyright claim for Illumination Theory.
"A pitch black night unfolds with the morning star as its only light... and thus the saga... begins" - Shenhua (Shenmue series)

Offline aprilethereal

« Reply #841 on: January 16, 2014, 02:26:21 PM »
I hope they'll keep the setlist pretty much the same until I see them in two weeks :caffeine: :D

Offline haceeb

• When you surrender to the light, You can face the darkest days
  • I am bent, not broken
« Reply #842 on: January 16, 2014, 02:26:33 PM »

OHH MY GAWWWD :P

Offline FrostbiteZ

« Reply #843 on: January 16, 2014, 02:26:48 PM »
Who was it? Frostbitez, by any chance?
Nope still no my way home :)
But I got SDV

Offline SeRoX

• DTF.org Member
  • The VoiceMaster
« Reply #844 on: January 16, 2014, 02:27:28 PM »
I'm not worrying about James' voice. It's almost the same thing. At begining of the tour he seems to struggle a bit then he slays.
Quote from: Plasmastrike
SeRoX is right!
Quote from: Nihil-Morari
SeRoX is DTF's JLB!
As usual, SeRoX is correct.

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Jay Beckenstein was in Spyro Gyra, right?
« Reply #845 on: January 16, 2014, 02:29:48 PM »
But I got SDV

What's your tour schedule this time? Multiple shows again? :)

I'm not worrying about James' voice. It's almost the same thing. At begining of the tour he seems to struggle a bit then he slays.

Absolutely. I just hope he will pull through the tight schedule and long setlist.
:slayer: Somewhere, over the wasteland..... bootlegs fly :slayer:
MoraWintersoul is the BEST person.
- Marco

Offline Thomas Pasieka

• I create visuals for Dream Theater
« Reply #846 on: January 16, 2014, 02:30:22 PM »
Hey there everybody! It was great seeing the reactions to the video (symphonic section) of Illumination Theory as this was of my doing. Great to see that people loved it! Makes me a very happy guy! Great kick off to a great tour! Looking forward to more!

Offline genome

« Reply #847 on: January 16, 2014, 02:31:58 PM »
Hey there everybody! It was great seeing the reactions to the video (symphonic section) of Illumination Theory as this was of my doing. Great to see that people loved it! Makes me a very happy guy! Great kick off to a great tour! Looking forward to more!

Well done, you and Blob have done a great job.

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #848 on: January 16, 2014, 02:33:42 PM »
Wow, happy to have you here! Welcome aboard if you are going to stay, and welcome all the same if you are just flying by!

You did a fucking great job! How did you get the idea of the orbs of light, if you don't mind sharing it? :)
- Marco

Offline Shadow2222

« Reply #849 on: January 16, 2014, 02:37:21 PM »

I loved it, and I've only seen the YouTube videos! I can't wait to see it for myself on April 2!!!
"A pitch black night unfolds with the morning star as its only light... and thus the saga... begins" - Shenhua (Shenmue series)

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #850 on: January 16, 2014, 02:40:52 PM »
By the way, I'm very excited to see how the SDV solo evolves and expands through the legs of the tour! The same has happened to Hollow Years in 2004, the extended solo went from being just a minute long in the first show to what was captured at Budokan. I hope something similar happens this time too!  :azn:
- Marco

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #851 on: January 16, 2014, 02:41:19 PM »

May I ask, what other visuals did you do? Enigma machine?
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline SjundeInseglet

« Reply #852 on: January 16, 2014, 02:42:41 PM »
And here are a couple of photos from last night's gig (and a half-assed-- to put it mildly-- "review" in Portuguese):

https://www.mysound-mag.com/2014/01/dream-theater-coliseu-do-porto.html

Offline Thomas Pasieka

« Reply #853 on: January 16, 2014, 02:46:22 PM »
Thank you very much guys genome and wasteland! Really appreciate the warm welcome! Well the idea of the "Light Orb" was just there in my head from the beginning. I won't say what the light orbs represent as this is up to each and every viewer. In any case, I wrote a script and created a storyboard (big thanks to my wife too for inspiration!) to present to the DT guys. After a bit of back and forth and discussing "styles" I got busy creating the actual animation.

It was a pleasure working with Jordan and John P. and all the others involved. Illumination Theory took a bit of an effort but it was well worth it. So happy to see it on the big screen. It's just very emotional in combination with the music! Glad you guys enjoy it!

Offline Thomas Pasieka

« Reply #854 on: January 16, 2014, 02:49:54 PM »
May I ask, what other visuals did you do? Enigma machine?

I was responsible for Illumination Theory, The Shattered Fortress and Lifting Shadows Of A Dream :)

Offline Mladen

« Reply #855 on: January 16, 2014, 02:55:26 PM »
I think the thing with James going an octave higher in the second half of the songs works really well, he sounds vulnerable and emotional.

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #856 on: January 16, 2014, 03:01:00 PM »

Ah this is actually the same fellow who had his video taken down! He says he got hit with a copyright claim for Illumination Theory.

Sheesh. They don't have a copyright claim. However, that's how Youtube works. If a label even *says* they have a claim to something, they'll remove the content regardless. Most artists don't agressively pursue this, from what I can tell, but some do.

I hope this is a RR thing and not a DT thing, though. If it is DT, I don't know what to think. I can't imagine a band like DT stomping down on bootleg live performances people record on their own devices. MP practically authorized bootleg culture, just requesting that fans not share *certain* material that was going to be released officially. I'd hate to think the band have turned away from that.

Offline RoeDent

• 2006 Time Magazine Person of the Year
« Reply #857 on: January 16, 2014, 03:01:38 PM »
Do you guys realise the magnitude of DT history that happened last night? This controversial song that polarises opinion getting its first live full-band performance, when there was a time that it categorically would never be performed. For starters, it proves the beef was just between Portnoy and Moore, and as Portnoy had pretty much complete control over what the band played, the others couldn't have a say.

Offline haceeb

• I am bent, not broken
« Reply #858 on: January 16, 2014, 03:09:21 PM »
Do you guys realise the magnitude of DT history that happened last night? This controversial song that polarises opinion getting its first live full-band performance, when there was a time that it categorically would never be performed. For starters, it proves the beef was just between Portnoy and Moore, and as Portnoy had pretty much complete control over what the band played, the others couldn't have a say.
Roe is right

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #859 on: January 16, 2014, 03:12:03 PM »
For starters, it proves the beef was just between Portnoy and Moore

Not really.  It may also simply prove that things change over time.  Let's assume John felt the same way that we know Mike did about the song, but that he gave in because, in restrospect, it didn't make sense to keep holding it out if the fans want it, or maybe James and Jordan pushed for it because it got a great response when they did it at Jordan's show, or maybe he just feels less strongly about not playing it now.  I mean, there are tons of variables and possibilities we just don't know.  We DO know that Mike didn't want to play it, but that's about all we know.

Portnoy had pretty much complete control over what the band played, the others couldn't have a say.

Yeah, that's just completely false.  There are things Mike wanted to play where others put their foot down and said no.  And there are things Mike didn't really want to play that they played because others wanted to.  Mike may have had the strongest opinions, and as the primary person who put the set lists together, he may have had more say by default, but I can assure you that if ANY of the other members had strong feelings about a song, their wishes were followed.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #860 on: January 16, 2014, 03:15:08 PM »
False Awakening Suite (intro tape)
1. The Enemy Inside
2. The Shattered Fortress
3. On the Backs of Angels
4. The Looking Glass
5. Trial of Tears
6. Enigma Machine (w/ drum solo)
7. Along for the Ride
8. Breaking All Illusions
====================
9. The Mirror
10. Lie
11. Lifting Shadows Off A Dream
12. Scarred
13. Space-Dye Vest
14. Illumination Theory
----------------------------------------
15. Overture 1928
16. Strange Deja-Vu
17. The Dance of Eternity
18. Finally Free

totally forgot their first show was last night so I thankfully got to miss all the fretting and got to dive right into what was going to make this setlist especially special.  Damn, they delivered.

So I'm not crazy about several of their choices but they do make sense. 

Dance of Eternity is my least favorite instrumental by far but I guess it'll be cool to actually watch them do it, especially since it was an audition song. 

Bummed On The Backs of Angels is being played again but it makes sense. 

Really bummed The Bigger Picture isn't in the set.  Maybe setlist B??!?!?!

Enigma Machine is underrated and will give James a good breather. 

Space Dye Vest...nuff said.

But....Shattered Fortress?!  I'm gonna give it another try but man, the several times I tried before I was overcome with laughable lyrics, forced callbacks, and melodies done half as cool as before. 

Beggars can't be choosers though and I will just say that this experience will be AWESOME!  Great setlist overall.  Bold to not do I&W.

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #861 on: January 16, 2014, 03:20:33 PM »

Not really.  It may also simply prove that things change over time.  Let's assume John felt the same way that we know Mike did about the song, but that he gave in because, in restrospect, it didn't make sense to keep holding it out if the fans want it, or maybe James and Jordan pushed for it because it got a great response when they did it at Jordan's show, or maybe he just feels less strongly about not playing it now.  I mean, there are tons of variables and possibilities we just don't know.  We DO know that Mike didn't want to play it, but that's about all we know.

Portnoy had pretty much complete control over what the band played, the others couldn't have a say.

Yeah, that's just completely false.  There are things Mike wanted to play where others put their foot down and said no.  And there are things Mike didn't really want to play that they played because others wanted to.  Mike may have had the strongest opinions, and as the primary person who put the set lists together, he may have had more say by default, but I can assure you that if ANY of the other members had strong feelings about a song, their wishes were followed.

Mike was often making absolute statements and going back on them.  I remember him saying after the Scenes tour they would never do the album in its entirety again which they did.  He also said Disappear would only be played once total but I believe they played it a second time.  I think he also said that 6DOIT would never be played again unless it was in its entirety. 

So maybe he was outvoted or maybe he changed his mind.  But he admitted the person that is willing to hold out the longest usually wins and that is almost always him so I seriously doubt any of the others had a problem with SDV.  They never said anything against it but Mike was the adamant one about never playing it.  Sure the beef may have been with others but I have a feeling that never playing SDV was 100% MP. 

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #862 on: January 16, 2014, 03:26:32 PM »
Sorry for the 3rd response in a row but did anybody else notice that JP actually has an amp facing him.  During the end of the Mirror you can see him trying to get feedback from it.  He has always had those metal things to put his feet on with pedals in between but now it is an amp surrounded by that...metal...stuff. 

Offline cookienut

• Far Away From Home
« Reply #863 on: January 16, 2014, 03:38:38 PM »
I'm gobsmacked they played SDV and the let the song build quite amazingly to the end. Wow, just wow.

Offline FrostbiteZ

« Reply #864 on: January 16, 2014, 03:49:32 PM »
But I got SDV

What's your tour schedule this time? Multiple shows again? :)
Yes :) Can't get enough of those guys

I'm attending
O2 Apollo, Manchester
Wembley Arena, London
Wolverhampton Civic hall
Heineken Music Hall, Amsterdam
Falconer salen, Copenhagen

I'm finally home and will begin uploading

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #865 on: January 16, 2014, 03:59:19 PM »

Also, it's a special case of it being the 20th anniversary of the album, and obviously they chose to celebrate it by including a large chunk of the setlist, and to make the anniversary especially special, decided it was the time for the first performance of the song.
For all we know, the band would have decided to do that even with Portnoy in the band, and had they not been putting together a special anniversary tribute, may have very well continued to leave it alone. It's not like they pulled it out as soon as MP left, it only came up with the anniversary setlist. I agree with you bosky.

Just also have to echo a lot of the praise for that intro. video.  Blob, the transitions you came up with and a lot of the little plays on the artwork that you did are so cleverly done.  Bravo!  :clap: 

And whether it's true or not, I choose to believe that the transition from Black Clouds to ADTOE through the doorway was a nod to my DTF forum splash page art concept from the last version of the forum.  :biggrin:

Thanks bosky, and everyone!
And yes, that transition most definitely was inspired by the old forum theme. :lol Chances are I would have come to the same conclusion anyway, but when it came time for that transition, that instantly sprung to mind. :tup
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #866 on: January 16, 2014, 04:00:11 PM »
Next time you need to come to Italy! I do want to meet up some time! :D

Did you manage to tape the whole show, by the way?
- Marco

Offline jakepriest

« Reply #867 on: January 16, 2014, 04:01:03 PM »
Scarred, The Shattered Fortress, Trial of Tears? Heck I'll manage to get through The Boring Glass for these three.  :metal :metal Can't wait to see them in Prague.

Offline FrostbiteZ

« Reply #868 on: January 16, 2014, 04:12:32 PM »

Got all except On the Backs of Angels. Was unsure if I had enough battery or memory so I chose to skip that one
Maybe Italy next time :)

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #869 on: January 16, 2014, 04:15:05 PM »

Got all except On the Backs of Angels. Was unsure if I had enough battery or memory so I chose to skip that one
Maybe Italy next time :)

Good call, we know that one very well already :lol
- Marco

Offline haceeb

• I am bent, not broken
« Reply #870 on: January 16, 2014, 04:35:28 PM »

Offline Mindflux

• DT.net Veteran
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #871 on: January 16, 2014, 05:47:03 PM »

Well done, you and Blob have done a great job.

What did blob do?

Offline IdoSC

« Reply #872 on: January 16, 2014, 06:26:49 PM »
I'm extremely excited about this set. Like, it is literally one of the best DT sets I've ever seen. But it's all theoretical. The videos are rather disappointing...I should probably wait for Scarred, The Shattered Fortress and some of the DT12 songs to surface, but the songs that are up are disappointing, for the most part.

The biggest issue is James, and I'm sorry to say this, but he was terrible. I'm usually amazed by his performances and can't tell he's 50 by any measure. But this show...SDV's higher octave section (it *could* work, if he wasn't so shaky), The Enemy Inside sounding so effortless in the negative sense, the way he sounds like he's struggling on Finally Free, a bunch of other songs.

The worst of all, to be honest, was Illumination Theory. I LOVE this song, I can't thank James enough for this awesome studio performance, and the song in and of itself is one of their finest. But honestly, in this song, it simply looks like he gave up. Like he said "screw that, I can't sing tonight, I'll just do some yelling and get it over with". He had this burned out look in his eyes, maybe some regret about recording it that way in the first place, dunno. But even then, just sing it improvise it a bit and sing a few notes lower and on key - don't lose your timing completely!

I'm sorry if my post is not so humble and polite, and I'm sorry if it sounds like I'm exaggerating or something. It's just that I adore this band and extremely passionate about them, and to me, this wonderful guy is the heart and soul of DT. And honestly watching and listening to some of these videos simply frustrated me and bummed me out. Maybe it's just a 1st show thing, maybe these songs are too taxing when put together, but honestly maybe doing a 3-hour set is not the best idea when you're 50. I'd rather have him with a great, functional voice for 5-10 more years and 1:30-2 hour sets.

Offline GasparXR

• Why would I put something personal here?
« Reply #873 on: January 16, 2014, 06:50:06 PM »
Full video of The Shattered Fortress: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pCZHHXvTNGU

Offline Daso

• A cultivator of dread
« Reply #874 on: January 16, 2014, 06:57:02 PM »

Welcome to the forum and thank you for the amazing job on that video. I really want to see the ones for LSOAD and TSF. The video reminded me a lot of Storm Corrosion - Drag Ropes. Beautifully done, seriously.

Blob, the intro video gave me chills all the way through. I couldn't help but smiling when I was watching it. My favorite transitions where the ones from ToT to DT12, but all of them where great. Excellent work, man.

I loved how they played Space-Dye Vest. Jordan held back a lot and it came out great on his side. JLB did even better than I thought he would (and that's saying a lot), and I loved how he went a whole octave up on the last verses. Also, JP's solo was out of this world. I really hope he extends it as the tour progresses.