Author Topic: 2014-01-15 - Coliseu do Porto - Porto, POR  (Read 105037 times)

Offline Shadow2222

Re: 2014-01-15 - Coliseu do Porto - Porto, POR
« Reply #770 on: January 16, 2014, 07:15:08 AM »
Thanks everyone for finding these videos!

I love the intro Blob!!! Fantastic!!!
"A pitch black night unfolds with the morning star as its only light... and thus the saga... begins" - Shenhua (Shenmue series)

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #771 on: January 16, 2014, 07:19:26 AM »
Blob, are you going to upload it to your site/portfolio soon?

:soon:
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #772 on: January 16, 2014, 07:33:53 AM »
Great looking kit

Agreed, altho I'm a bit surprised to still see 4 bass drums. Coulda sworn I read somewhere that Genie said he was getting rid of the two on the extreme sides and was just gonna use drum triggers for them instead. 
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Online nikatapi

« Reply #773 on: January 16, 2014, 07:44:26 AM »

Agreed, altho I'm a bit surprised to still see 4 bass drums. Coulda sworn I read somewhere that Genie said he was getting rid of the two on the extreme sides and was just gonna use drum triggers for them instead. 

Maybe they're there just for display? They have a weird angle, on the previous kit they were sideways, now they are facing towards the audience a bit.

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #774 on: January 16, 2014, 07:49:10 AM »

Maybe they're there just for display? They have a weird angle, on the previous kit they were sideways, now they are facing towards the audience a bit.
Yeah I noticed that about the angle too. If they're just their for show, that would be rather lame and I can't imagine that Genie would do that. But if they were, I'd lose a little respect for him, since that's not the sort of thing I'd expect from him or anyone else at his level.
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #775 on: January 16, 2014, 07:55:59 AM »
Just came home and watched Blob's video.

Holy sh*t, this is great.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline krands85

« Reply #776 on: January 16, 2014, 07:57:28 AM »
Just watched the intro and have to echo what everyone else has said - fantastic job Blob, it's brilliant!  :tup So cool seeing the album covers come alive like that  :coolio
Whoaaaahh, ohhh, ohhhhh. Whoaaaahh, ohhhhh, ohhhhhh. Waaah, ahhh, haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaowwwwww

Offline Shadow2222

« Reply #777 on: January 16, 2014, 08:03:27 AM »
Was everyone apparently so mesmerized by SDV that no one recorded a video?  :lol
I thought it would be the first thing anyone posted.
"A pitch black night unfolds with the morning star as its only light... and thus the saga... begins" - Shenhua (Shenmue series)

Offline Laughingplace56

« Reply #778 on: January 16, 2014, 08:08:28 AM »
Great looking kit

Tank top, wristbands, headband. Has Mangini ever looked so metal?

False Awakening Suite (intro tape)
1. The Enemy Inside
2. The Shattered Fortress
3. On the Backs of Angels
4. The Looking Glass
5. Trial of Tears
6. Enigma Machine (w/ drum solo)
7. Along for the Ride
8. Breaking All Illusions
====================
9. The Mirror
10. Lie
11. Lifting Shadows Off A Dream
12. Scarred
13. Space-Dye Vest
14. Illumination Theory
----------------------------------------
15. Overture 1928
16. Strange Deja-Vu
17. The Dance of Eternity
18. Finally Free
Forgot to post this yesterday, but the weird arrangement of the first set makes sense now. It's like they mashed up first set and second set songs in the first set to free up all the space for the Awake anniversary bit/IT. It's still a little weird to me. If they were doing these songs, I'd arrange it along the lines of this:

1. The Enemy Inside
2. The Looking Glass
3. Trial of Tears
4. Enigma Machine (w/ drum solo)
5. Mirror
6. Lie
7. Lifting Shadows Off A Dream
8. Scarred
9. Breaking All Illusions
====================
10. Overture 1928
11. Strange Deja Vu
12. The Dance of Eternity
13. Finally Free
14. On the Backs of Angels
15. The Shattered Fortress
16. Along For the Ride
17. Illumination Theory
18. Space Dye Vest

I still think SDV should be the encore song. Never been played live before, such a historic song, and a great encore would be to highlight the 20th anniversary of an album (much like what they did with SFAM, except with just one song not 4).

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #779 on: January 16, 2014, 08:09:19 AM »
Great looking kit

Those are just to get the babes.
Quote from: TioJorge
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
Quote from: hefdaddy42
The Darklord is amazing

Offline genome

« Reply #780 on: January 16, 2014, 08:11:47 AM »
Great looking kit

Tank top, wristbands, headband. Has Mangini ever looked so metal?

1. The Enemy Inside
2. The Shattered Fortress
3. On the Backs of Angels
4. The Looking Glass
5. Trial of Tears
6. Enigma Machine (w/ drum solo)
7. Along for the Ride
8. Breaking All Illusions
====================
9. The Mirror
10. Lie
11. Lifting Shadows Off A Dream
12. Scarred
13. Space-Dye Vest
14. Illumination Theory
15. Overture 1928
16. Strange Deja-Vu
17. The Dance of Eternity
18. Finally Free
Forgot to post this yesterday, but the weird arrangement of the first set makes sense now. It's like they mashed up first set and second set songs in the first set to free up all the space for the Awake anniversary bit/IT. It's still a little weird to me. If they were doing these songs, I'd arrange it along the lines of this:

1. The Enemy Inside
2. The Looking Glass
3. Trial of Tears
5. Mirror
6. Lie
8. Scarred
====================
10. Overture 1928
11. Strange Deja Vu
13. Finally Free
16. Along For the Ride
17. Illumination Theory
18. Space Dye Vest

I still think SDV should be the encore song. Never been played live before, such a historic song, and a great encore would be to highlight the 20th anniversary of an album (much like what they did with SFAM, except with just one song not 4).

It's too depressing to be an encore song. Every one would leave the venue a little bummed out instead of with big smiles on their faces. That's not a great way to end a show...

Offline phentalmyst

« Reply #781 on: January 16, 2014, 08:13:19 AM »
the kicks could easily have double pedals set up to reach them like bozzio uses.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #782 on: January 16, 2014, 08:16:21 AM »
I agree with genome; as awesome as it is to see Space Dye Vest finally getting played, it should not be an encore song, much less the only encore song.  Not only is it too mellow for that spot, but as much as many of us hardcore fans love it, it is likely a song a lot of casual fans are not as overly familiar with, so there are bound to be huge chunks of fans at shows thinking, "What song is this?"

Offline Panos_Ytsejam

« Reply #783 on: January 16, 2014, 08:18:40 AM »
Anyone was on VIP? How was? What about the VIP gifts?

Offline Laughingplace56

« Reply #784 on: January 16, 2014, 08:26:03 AM »
It's too depressing to be an encore song. Every one would leave the venue a little bummed out instead of with big smiles on their faces. That's not a great way to end a show...
I guess that makes sense. I'm just trying to find a way to make the setlist seem less weird  :lol

Offline krands85

« Reply #785 on: January 16, 2014, 08:27:54 AM »
Don't think this one has been posted:
Finally Free
Whoaaaahh, ohhh, ohhhhh. Whoaaaahh, ohhhhh, ohhhhhh. Waaah, ahhh, haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaowwwwww

Offline McNugg

• Lurker Extraordinaire
« Reply #786 on: January 16, 2014, 08:37:27 AM »
Don't think this one has been posted:
Finally Free

Thanks for sharing!  Seems like an odd song to end the show with.  Don't get me wrong, I love Finally Free but talk about going out with a whimper....

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #787 on: January 16, 2014, 08:57:22 AM »

1. The Enemy Inside
2. The Looking Glass
3. Trial of Tears
5. Mirror
6. Lie
8. Scarred
====================
10. Overture 1928
11. Strange Deja Vu
13. Finally Free
16. Along For the Ride
17. Illumination Theory
18. Space Dye Vest

Gotta agree with those who say that having SDVest as the encore (especially by itself) would be a real downer to end the show with. Considering that they are highlighting the anniversaries of Awake and SFaM, the only real change I would make to the song order would be to have the SFaM set of songs follow the Awake set of songs in set 2, and move IT to the encore. That way the whole show doesn't end on the down note of FF.

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Jay Beckenstein was in Spyro Gyra, right?
« Reply #788 on: January 16, 2014, 09:09:52 AM »
I agree with you Scotty. Unless of course JP starts improvising a solo at the end of Finally Free while MM keeps going crazy, which would be a more fitting closure than the actual FF outro, vaguely reminiscent of what they did in 2004 with ITNOG.

But yeah, I think the setlist could improve switching the Awake and SFAM minisets and postponing IT as last song.
:slayer: Somewhere, over the wasteland..... bootlegs fly :slayer:
MoraWintersoul is the BEST person.
- Marco

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #789 on: January 16, 2014, 09:13:18 AM »
I'm not complainting one bit about the set list.  But without changing anything up at all, and only adding, the one thing I can think of that would have made this even more epic, if they had a bit more time, is if they added Metropolis pt. 1 to the very end right after Finally Free.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #790 on: January 16, 2014, 09:15:48 AM »
Or just play Home instead of both The Dance of Eternity and Finally Free, and then add another DT12 song into the first set. :tup :tup

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #791 on: January 16, 2014, 09:19:23 AM »
Did JLB say something/do some sort of introduction before they played Space-Dye Vest last night?
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline Mebert78

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #792 on: January 16, 2014, 09:28:33 AM »
Just checking, there's no video of SDV anywhere online yet, right?  I've searched YouTube.  Nothing yet.  Every other song but that one, lol. 
An unofficial online community for fans of keyboardist Kevin Moore (ex-Dream Theater, Chroma Key, OSI):

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #793 on: January 16, 2014, 09:46:23 AM »
I'm torn between dismissing the set as a disappointment, and acknowledging that DT have so much music they could never please me, individually. I'm sure my perfect DT show would be a lot different than many fans.

Okay, but--and I mean this in all seriousness--do you actually even remember the last time anything in life made you happy?  From your posts on the forum, I know that I sure don't.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline theseoafs

• When the lights go down in the city, and the sun shines on the bayyyyy
  • Hello! My name is Elder Price
« Reply #794 on: January 16, 2014, 09:55:37 AM »
 :lol

Offline SjundeInseglet

« Reply #795 on: January 16, 2014, 09:55:46 AM »
The venue is nicely packed by the way.
Is this an innuendo of some kind?

Well, I didn't really mean it that way. But it CAN be, if you want it to.  ;)

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #796 on: January 16, 2014, 09:56:18 AM »
lol

I've only been fortunate enough to see them one time, so my perfect show would be whichever one I am getting to see.

Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline John94

« Reply #797 on: January 16, 2014, 09:57:37 AM »
Nice! Wonder if there will be any rotations? Wouldn't complain at all if we got this setlist in Manchester. Only seen 3 of the songs live on that list. I wanted Trial of Tears, will complete my Top 3 DT songs seen live. Space-Dye Vest and Finally Free have danced around my top 10 a few times too!

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #798 on: January 16, 2014, 10:02:42 AM »
Some things that stood out to me while watching the videos.

Blob's opening animation. Holy shit, Blob! Fantastic work and amazing ideas for tieing the album artwork together.  :hefdaddy

The stage/lighting design is steller and very professional. Lots of little details that tie the stage together like JP's Enigma cabinets, the new drum kit, etc.

JP is NOT using the Majesty guitar  :)

JMX was rockin' it

And last but not least, JLB is finally letting the gray show! As a man 'of a certain age' I hope that he is proud of everyone of those gray hairs and just lets all the coloring go once and for all.  :lol
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline OsMosis2259

• Pretty Pretty Pretty Good!
« Reply #799 on: January 16, 2014, 10:05:07 AM »
Blob  :tup

Offline Blazinarps

« Reply #800 on: January 16, 2014, 10:18:51 AM »
Are the playing along to the cd? This sounds really really weird...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qi9foL202g8

Offline Cygnus17

« Reply #801 on: January 16, 2014, 10:19:20 AM »
Surprising, but very intriguing and interesting setlist.  My only request is they add a couple more songs from DT12, particularly TBP and STR.  The Scenes encore is tremendous.  Cant wait to see them in DC in a few months!

Offline Cygnus17

« Reply #802 on: January 16, 2014, 10:22:35 AM »
Anybody noticed the energy, smile, excitement on every DT member's face? They're enjoying it guys....whatever was missing is no longer missing, every member is confident now and I'm loving it.... :tup

Remember seeing all that the last tour when they were in DC, looking forward to seeing it again this tour.  This band is completely in sync and at the top of its game.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #803 on: January 16, 2014, 10:30:22 AM »
Are the playing along to the cd? This sounds really really weird...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qi9foL202g8

No, but they have a backing track for some of the sound effects and had the backing track going exclusively for the soft section leading back into the part where the video starts. 

Watching that and watching how they, especially James, seem a bit subdued during that section makes me pause and recall how technical this song is.  I'm sure they are a bit tentative right now in a live setting with it.  This is one that I think will probably have to grow on them a bit before they really feel completely comfortable and are able to really let loose and enjoy playing it live.

I also just want to say that, thanks to this show, I'm listening to LSFNY again.

Offline Mebert78

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #804 on: January 16, 2014, 10:32:38 AM »
Some things that stood out to me while watching the videos.

Blob's opening animation. Holy shit, Blob! Fantastic work and amazing ideas for tieing the album artwork together.  :hefdaddy

I couldn't agree more.  Thank you so much Blob for bringing DT's images and songs to life in such an incredible and breathtaking fashion.  It literally gives me chills to watch.  The music and art means a lot to many of us, and is very inspirational to us all, and your work actually takes it all to a whole other level.  It's a beautiful and powerful thing, and I thank you.  I'm very happy you are a part of the DT world.
An unofficial online community for fans of keyboardist Kevin Moore (ex-Dream Theater, Chroma Key, OSI):