Author Topic: Totally 80s  (Read 11135 times)

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Totally 80s
« Reply #140 on: September 21, 2014, 03:30:40 AM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PGVNz_KXkSw&feature=youtu.be

Not too bad for a bunch of weekend garage warriors, right?  (although I don't know where the guys disappeared to for the vocal harmonies :lol)

This is actually really kickin', good work, good vocals too.  It looks like you are having the vest of times up there.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #141 on: September 21, 2014, 03:35:49 AM »
It looks like you are having the vest of times up there.

That's copyright Mindcrime Enterprises  :P
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #142 on: September 21, 2014, 03:55:11 AM »

Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #143 on: September 21, 2014, 03:57:46 AM »
:lol
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #144 on: September 21, 2014, 04:49:26 AM »
Littler known fact: my favorite track from The Bangles is their cover of Hazy Shade of Winter, which was a non-album track originally released on the soundtrack for the film Less Than Zero, which is a mediocre film at best.

It is mine as well.  My band covers it and we usually use it as our set closer.  It tends to get great reaction, even among folks who many not be familiar with it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PGVNz_KXkSw&feature=youtu.be

Not too bad for a bunch of weekend garage warriors, right?  (although I don't know where the guys disappeared to for the vocal harmonies :lol)
:metal
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #145 on: September 21, 2014, 08:01:49 AM »
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #146 on: September 21, 2014, 01:40:24 PM »
That leads to the obvious question: can Jon Bon Jovi still do that high part?

Having seen BJ several times back in the day he never got anywhere near it.
Tough part though.

I remember reading that Scorpions got Don Dokken in to sing a high note in Rhythm Of Love and I always wondered why you would record something your singer couldn't do even in the studio. If it becomes a hit you're stuck having to do it forever!

Reminds me of the Joe Walsh quote re Rocky Mountain Way - "If I'd have known then that I was going to have to play this song for the rest of my life, I'd probably have written something else".

Offline PetFish

« Reply #147 on: September 21, 2014, 04:17:27 PM »
For some reason, Jon Bon Jovi is an extremely underrated vocalist, mostly cuz people tend to only focus on the Livin' On A Prayer key change.

If you really want to hear him bust a nut, check out the Always Demo from the box set and the key change at about 4:30 until the end.  I can't link it on Youtube cuz it's not official but when I first heard this part of the demo I almost crapped my pants.

I'm probably the biggest BJ fan (hehe) here.  I've seen them a lot live and in-person.  I've read the books and biographies.  I know their entire history.  Jon Bon Jovi and BJ are the real deal through and through.  They never fake it at their shows, they'd rather make the effort and miss the note a little than give up.  They play for 2.5 hours every show.  The crowd gets exhausted a few times and Jon, the greatest front-man of all time in my opinion, keeps bringing us back to life.  I could go on and on...

They even saw a psychologist before Keep the Faith that really helped them get over their issues and nobody knew about it until recently but then you get Metallica who made a movie about it with the same guy who helped BJ.

The Goldbergs season two starts this week!

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #148 on: September 22, 2014, 09:40:10 AM »
Nice.  But I think your band doesn't have enough guitar players. ;)  :biggrin:

Ha!  Yeah, but since we cover a couple of Skynrd tunes, it's okay, right?  :lol  Actually, the truth behind that is, last May when we played the local Tour De Cure diabetes ride, they told us they wanted us to play 3-4 hours, which about doubled the amount of material we had to learn.  Our drummer (a former forum member, coincidentally) left us awhile back, so our bass player jumped over to drums, and we brought in a new bass player.  Problem is, Dave does not know nearly as many songs on drums as he does on other instruments, and our new bass player did not know as many either, and we had a short time to prepare.  Enter my neighbor Vince (the bald guy with the sunburst Les Paul).  He plays multiple instruments and knows a lot of songs.  By bringing him in and shifting people around on different instruments throughout our sets, we were able to more easily work up enough material to fill the time that this great charity wanted us to play for.

I hate you all so much right now.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #149 on: September 22, 2014, 01:07:38 PM »
Nice.  But I think your band doesn't have enough guitar players. ;)  :biggrin:

Ha!  Yeah, but since we cover a couple of Skynrd tunes, it's okay, right?  :lol

Haha, of course.  Just messing with ya a little. :coolio

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #150 on: October 13, 2014, 02:31:37 PM »
Such a strange, but cool, video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NXQYyKzyDaE

Offline T-ski

« Reply #151 on: October 15, 2014, 08:56:50 AM »
Howard Jones getting all fancy for his video for "The Prisoner"......well, fancy for 1989.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X6kQvJcpjBY
Is all that we see or seem, but a dream within a dream?

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #152 on: October 15, 2014, 11:48:52 AM »
I went to college, for the third time, in the mid 80's.  My Calculus professor was Dr. Howard Jones.  He was awesome and I ended up taking all four terms of Calculus from him.

To this day, when I think of Dr. Jones, I hear the line from "Things Can Only Get Better" by Howard Jones in my head.

♫♫ Whoa, whoa, whoa-oh-oh, whoa, oh, oh-oh-oh ♫♪♫

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #153 on: October 15, 2014, 11:50:28 AM »
:)
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #154 on: October 16, 2014, 11:26:25 AM »
I liked that Howard Jones.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #155 on: March 21, 2015, 06:59:49 PM »
You guys ever see the video for the Robert Palmer song, Looking for Clues? I had never heard the song or seen the video, but it was on Totally 80s recently, and I couldn't believe how unbelievably cheesy the video was, even by 80s standards.  :lol :lol The song actually wasn't bad; it was oddly catchy.  But that video, man oh man. :lol

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #156 on: March 21, 2015, 09:46:30 PM »
Yup.  He's transposed on a kids xylophone. :lol
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #157 on: March 21, 2015, 09:52:15 PM »
LOL, I about fell off the couch laughing at that. :rollin :rollin

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #158 on: March 21, 2015, 10:15:15 PM »
I remember that, and the xylophone is the first thing I think of.  Actually, the only thing I think of.  It was bad.

Offline Jaq

• Favorite song by Europe: Carrie.
« Reply #159 on: March 21, 2015, 10:46:34 PM »
Oh yeah, the guitar solo that seemed to be one chord played over and over. Or one note. Or something. Just BWANG BWANG BWANG BWANG BWANG.

Robert Palmer turning into the well dressed guy singing in front of a wall of miniskirted ladies badly miming the song on their instruments might have been the biggest transformation in music history, after that video.  :lol
The bones of beasts and the bones of kings become dust in the wake of the hymn.
Mighty kingdoms rise, but they all will fall, no more than a breath on the wind.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #160 on: March 21, 2015, 11:03:53 PM »
Yeah, it was hard to believe that was the same guy. :lol :lol

Offline Jaq

• Favorite song by Europe: Carrie.
« Reply #161 on: March 22, 2015, 10:21:57 AM »
My reaction to the announcement of the formation of the Power Station was not to remark that two guys from Duran Duran were apparently forming a hard rock band, nor to remark that the drummer from Chic was playing with them, but to say "the guy who did the Looking For Clues song is their singer? What are they thinking?

In fact given how much of Palmer's music had the same sort of sound the Power Station used, that project might have had a lot to do with him becoming the Robert Palmer we knew from then on.
The bones of beasts and the bones of kings become dust in the wake of the hymn.
Mighty kingdoms rise, but they all will fall, no more than a breath on the wind.

Offline dparrott

« Reply #162 on: March 22, 2015, 11:37:00 AM »
Love almost anything 80's: music (not hair metal), games, TV, movies.  There's the new TV show The Goldbergs about life in the 80's, good show.

I wanted to do a metal cover of HSOW but my band didn't last long enough.  Great cover video though.
"I don't know nuttin about nuttin" - Marshawn Lynch

The very soul of what was once real music is now lost in a digital quagmire of emotionless sonic madness.