Author Topic: BEST FRONTMEN IN ROCK TOP 10  (Read 908 times)

Offline EPICVIEW

• DTF.org Member
BEST FRONTMEN IN ROCK TOP 10
« on: August 23, 2023, 04:10:04 PM »
was doing some thinking ( just a little LOL ) and was thinking "who is or was the best frontman in rock?"
to me this list is about a combo of "voice , talent and ability to entertain and connect and hold and audience"

if this has been done Mods and can delete.

1) Geoff Tate
2) Phil Lynott
3) James Hetfield
4) Robert Plant
5) Paul McCartney
6) Freddie Mercury
7) Paul Rogers
8) Rob Halford
9) Kurt Cobain
10) Scott Weiland

discuss.........I know I missed a few  for sure 
"its so relieving to know that your leaving as soon as you get paid, Its so relaxing to know that your asking now that you got your way"

Offline Trav86

Re: BEST FRONTMEN IN ROCK TOP 10
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2023, 04:45:27 PM »
Given your criteria(which I agree with) and a little personal taste…

I’m not going to rank them. More like a chronological order of appearance…

Paul McCartney
Robert Plant
Steven Tyler
Freddie Mercury
David Lee Roth
Bruce Dickinson
James Hetfield
Axl Rose
Eddie Vedder
Dave Grohl

Jagger deserves to be on this list, but I can’t stand his voice. So that’s where personal taste kicked in.
Can't we find the minds
to lead us closer to the heart?

Offline NoFred

« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2023, 08:03:59 PM »

Jagger deserves to be on this list, but I can’t stand his voice. So that’s where personal taste kicked in.

Only speaking to those I’ve seen, Mick delivers the highest energy by far.

While I’m not into his brand of humor, Devy is irrefutably a force as a frontman

Offline EPICVIEW

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2023, 08:46:55 PM »

Only speaking to those I’ve seen, Mick delivers the highest energy by far.

While I’m not into his brand of humor, Devy is irrefutably a force as a frontman

agreed    Tyler and Jagger were tough to leave off
"its so relieving to know that your leaving as soon as you get paid, Its so relaxing to know that your asking now that you got your way"

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2023, 06:40:30 AM »
Taste is taste, as you said; I can quibble about the order, maybe, but the only name I'm like "why is he here?" is Cobain.  I think he's a zero, I really do.   As for Weiland, I LOVE him, don't get me wrong, and I wish Velvet Revolver was still a thing, but while he's quirky and weird, he wouldn't even be considered for my list either.

1) Freddie Mercury
2) Robert Plant (he's almost hurt by the fact he's a cliche at this point, but in the day, he WAS the "rock god")
3) Bruce Dickinson
4) Paul Stanley
5) Bono
6) Paul McCartney
7) Paul Rogers
8) Rob Halford
9) Steven Tyler
10) Phil Collins

Robin Zander, Roth and Jagger all deserve to be there, I just don't have enough space.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2023, 06:47:41 AM by Stadler »

Offline HOF

« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2023, 06:42:02 AM »
This is something I realize I don’t ever think about anymore. I don’t listen to or enjoy any of my favorite bands any more or less because of how good of a “front man” the singer is.

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2023, 07:16:41 AM »
Anyone care to explain why Macca is on so many lists?  Great songwriter, but I wouldn't call him a great frontman to be honest.

I think Mercury, Jagger & Plant are 1,2 and 3.  Artists no-one has listed yet - I'd probably have Iggy in the top ten. Springsteen, Bowie, Bolan and Grohl are worthy of a shoutout too.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2023, 07:37:00 AM »
Anyone care to explain why Macca is on so many lists? 

Anyone care to explain who Macca is?
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2023, 07:40:20 AM »

Based solely on context clues, I am going to assume Paul McCartney, but I can't be sure.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2023, 08:25:02 AM »

I refuse to believe even you haven't heard of The Beatles  ;D

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2023, 08:26:55 AM »

I've heard of The Beatles. Is Macca Beatles' fans affectionate nickname for Paul?
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2023, 08:28:02 AM »

I've heard of The Beatles. Is Macca Beatles' fans affectionate nickname for Paul?

https://rockcelebrities.net/why-is-the-beatles-icon-paul-mccartneys-nickname-macca-heres-the-story/

Offline EPICVIEW

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2023, 08:32:54 AM »
Taste is taste, as you said; I can quibble about the order, maybe, but the only name I'm like "why is he here?" is Cobain.  I think he's a zero, I really do.   As for Weiland, I LOVE him, don't get me wrong, and I wish Velvet Revolver was still a thing, but while he's quirky and weird, he wouldn't even be considered for my list either.

1) Freddie Mercury
2) Robert Plant (he's almost hurt by the fact he's a cliche at this point, but in the day, he WAS the "rock god")
3) Bruce Dickinson
4) Paul Stanley
5) Bono
6) Paul McCartney
7) Paul Rogers
8) Rob Halford
9) Steven Tyler
10) Phil Collins

Robin Zander, Roth and Jagger all deserve to be there, I just don't have enough space.

great list  I agree  I just coudnt leave Kurt off as he owned the stage in his own way

Offline EPICVIEW

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #13 on: August 24, 2023, 08:34:32 AM »
This is something I realize I don’t ever think about anymore. I don’t listen to or enjoy any of my favorite bands any more or less because of how good of a “front man” the singer is.

to me this is slanted to be more about the LIVE show  and having all eyes on the singer

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #14 on: August 24, 2023, 08:42:41 AM »
I'm not saying Steven Tyler isn't a great frontman, but he's fronting literally the most boring band of live musicians ever.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #15 on: August 24, 2023, 08:49:02 AM »
Also how nobody has mentioned Roger Daltrey absolutely fucking baffles me.

Offline EPICVIEW

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #16 on: August 24, 2023, 08:56:43 AM »
Also how nobody has mentioned Roger Daltrey absolutely fucking baffles me.
]

struggled with him and Bowie on my list as they both were the show also, Paul Stanley also but all of KISS catches the eye live and he and Gene are almost equals like Keith and Mick , Tyler and Perry   

ELVIS for sure now that Im really thinking...: )   ELton John also   

to me this list is about how the Frontman owns the stage and has all eyes on them and the talent to pull off a show where the audience is captivated by them on stage and as the focus of the live show to the audience.,  some bands are so good they are more equals on stage some have a frontman that carries the live show, I passed on Jim Morrison but an argument could be made
« Last Edit: August 24, 2023, 09:04:08 AM by EPICVIEW »

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #17 on: August 24, 2023, 09:04:23 AM »
RJ, Roger was up there for me; I just couldn't pull the trigger on him.   Too many of these are colored by the times I saw them live as opposed to what I've seen in video.  Daltry at the Isle of Wight is AMAZING.  When I saw him (on the Quadrophenia tour with Zak Starkey on drums) he was really good but I think he was under the weather.  This is the same for Tate; I've seen videos, but when I saw them - opening for Kiss back in the day - he was good but he just came out in this long flowing robe cape thing and sang his balls off. Phenomenal singer, but there wasn't the stage show then (this was The Warning tour). I just can't put him over the guys that came before and who clearly influenced him.

McCartney; it's not really tangible.  He doesn't jump higher, he doesn't wear costumes, but I saw him in Philly in 2012, and he was MESMERIZING.   He played for over three hours, and sounded as amazing at 3+ hours as he did in the first song.  Whether he was playing bass, piano, ukelele or acoustic guitar, you couldn't keep your eyes off him.  I make no apologies from watching him walk on stage with his guitar and playing "Yesterday" and standing there with tears running down my face (and I looked to each side, out of embarassment, and the guy to my left and the woman to my right were both crying too).

I've never actually seen Bowie live either for real or on video. I've only just seen music videos on MTV.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2023, 09:11:24 AM by Stadler »

Offline EPICVIEW

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #18 on: August 24, 2023, 09:07:19 AM »
I'm not saying Steven Tyler isn't a great frontman, but he's fronting literally the most boring band of live musicians ever.

agreed bro and to me its Joe and Steven as far as eyeballs

Tate to me is the best as the QR shows some years were just insane what he did as far as acting and the talent and dedication and vocals   Tates live ability is what put him above Rob and Rob and Ju
das were a better band to look at live than QR where QR was boring besides Tate

Jimi Hendrix also but due to having such a short tragic career I left him off
« Last Edit: August 24, 2023, 09:24:11 AM by EPICVIEW »

Offline EPICVIEW

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #19 on: August 24, 2023, 09:09:12 AM »
RJ, Roger was up there for me; I just couldn't pull the trigger on him.

McCartney; it's not really tangible.  He doesn't jump higher, he doesn't wear costumes, but I saw him in Philly in 2012, and he was MESMERIZING.   He played for over three hours, and sounded as amazing at #+ hours as he did in the first song.  Whether he was playing bass, piano, ukelele or acoustic guitar, you couldn't keep your eyes off him.  I make no apologies from watching him walk on stage with his guitar and playing "Yesterday" and standing there with tears running down my face (and I looked to each side, out of embarassment, and the guy to my left and the woman to my right were both crying too).

BINGO 

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #20 on: August 24, 2023, 09:11:01 AM »

Tate to me is the best as the QR shows some years were just insane what he did as far as acting and the talent and dedication and vocals   Tates live ability is what put him above Rob and Rob and Ju

I saw them opening on the Mindcrime tour a few times and on the Empire headline tour and I thought QR was pretty weak live, but I have to say, Tate owned it on the Promised Land tour.

Offline EPICVIEW

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #21 on: August 24, 2023, 09:14:19 AM »

I saw them opening on the Mindcrime tour a few times and on the Empire headline tour and I thought QR was pretty weak live, but I have to say, Tate owned it on the Promised Land tour.

PL and Empire tours were insane my bro    and since that moment on  the EP tour when I saw QR Tate was the show and the whole focus

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #22 on: August 24, 2023, 09:15:41 AM »
Sorry, McCartney was 2010, not 2012. 

This was the last 14 songs of the show; it could be it's own greatest hits CD. Bear in mind, there were 24 - two, four - songs BEFORE this:

Back in the U.S.S.R.
I've Got a Feeling
Paperback Writer
A Day in the Life (with 'Give Peace a Chance' snippet)
Let It Be
Live and Let Die
Hey Jude

Encore:
Day Tripper
Lady Madonna
Get Back

Encore 2:
Yesterday
Helter Skelter
Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band (Reprise)
The End

Offline EPICVIEW

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #23 on: August 24, 2023, 09:20:48 AM »
 :hefdaddy
Sorry, McCartney was 2010, not 2012. 

This was the last 14 songs of the show; it could be it's own greatest hits CD. Bear in mind, there were 24 - two, four - songs BEFORE this:

Back in the U.S.S.R.
I've Got a Feeling
Paperback Writer
A Day in the Life (with 'Give Peace a Chance' snippet)
Let It Be
Live and Let Die
Hey Jude

Encore:
Day Tripper
Lady Madonna
Get Back

Encore 2:
Yesterday
Helter Skelter
Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band (Reprise)
The End

:hefdaddy :tup

Online jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #24 on: August 24, 2023, 09:23:19 AM »
Geoff Tate was an outstanding singer and a good frontman, but would never would consider him at the top of the list.  Off the top of my head, Bon Scott, David Lee Roth, Dee Snider and Paul Stanley are the standouts.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #25 on: August 24, 2023, 09:24:02 AM »
When I saw The Who in '89, Roger basically set a bar for frontmen that nobody has surpassed.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #26 on: August 24, 2023, 09:24:33 AM »

PL and Empire tours were insane my bro    and since that moment on  the EP tour when I saw QR Tate was the show and the whole focus

I saw Suicidal open that show, and I long remember Mike Muir. That guy was a frontman. They were great!

Offline EPICVIEW

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #27 on: August 24, 2023, 09:26:50 AM »
When I saw The Who in '89, Roger basically set a bar for frontmen that nobody has surpassed.

I cant argue with that 

Offline EPICVIEW

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #28 on: August 24, 2023, 09:28:42 AM »

I saw Suicidal open that show, and I long remember Mike Muir. That guy was a frontman. They were great!

all I wanted was just one more Pepsi : )

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #29 on: August 24, 2023, 04:17:47 PM »

Yeah, though I've been to my fair share of concerts, I feel like I put less value on live performances than the average music fan.  There's a place for aesthetics and entertainment value, but studio magic is still by far my highest priority. 

And "best" rather than "favorite" makes this slant towards more "objective" criteria.  You kind of need to find reasons it wouldn't be largely a popularity contest in that sense. 

Offline PetFish

« Reply #30 on: August 24, 2023, 06:03:48 PM »
Jon Bon Jovi
Sammy Hagar
Freddie Mercury
Prince
Bono
James Hetfield
Mike Portnoy
P!nk
Steven Tyler
Steve Vai

Bonus:
Dave Grohl
Joe Elliott
Gary Cherone
Axel Rose
Bruce Dickenson
Michael Jackson

Offline coz

« Reply #31 on: August 24, 2023, 09:17:18 PM »
Lotta good names presented so far.  New ones I'd add are

Ozzy and Dio with Black Sabbath
Steve Perry
Michael Hutchence
Angelo Moore

In my mind, the criteria is one of a group.  Individuals (Elvis, Elton etc.) I don't consider as the performance was promoted and designed to spotlight them. Which is why I omitted the legend that is "Weird Al".  ;)
« Last Edit: August 24, 2023, 09:39:39 PM by coz »
~Carlos
We made a land where crap is king and the good don't last too long.
https://www.last.fm/user/coz2112

Offline The Realm

« Reply #32 on: August 24, 2023, 09:42:58 PM »

1) Freddie Mercury
3) Bruce Dickinson
4) Paul Stanley
5) Bono
6) Paul McCartney
7) Paul Rogers
8) Rob Halford
9) Steven Tyler
10) Phil Collins

great list  I agree  I just coudnt leave Kurt off as he owned the stage in his own way

Sorry but I really can't comprehend how Cobain could get anywhere close to the top of this list under the OP criteria. I saw Nirvana live, Cobain just stood there trying to hide behind his hair and his guitar and just played and sang and gave zero to the crowd. Sorry but there was no owning the stage in any way from the live performance I witnessed.