Author Topic: VST drumkits?  (Read 3296 times)

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
VST drumkits?
« on: August 09, 2013, 05:28:08 PM »
I want to get back into writing/recording music, but the weakest element in my setup always seems to be the drums.
What do you guys use? I should point out that I really don't like the stereotypical metal drums. I would like to have something that sounds between metal and jazz drums. Think Gavin Harrison.
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
Re: VST drumkits?
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2013, 02:38:43 AM »
I use the base EZDrummer plugin, which is a pretty basic rock kit with a few variations. A decent all round drumkit, although it's only an average sized kit with a few different drum options for each spot, so it may not be enough for what you want.
It's basically a cut down version of the quite popular Superior Drummer VST which is probably much better suited to you (and I just noticed there's a video on their media page of JP talking about how he used Superior Drummer for the demos of ADTOE).

There's also the Native Instruments stuff, which I haven't checked out, but their stuff is always good, and might be worth checking out too.

Here are some links which would be a good starting point to see if they're any good for you.

https://www.toontrack.com/superiorline.asp
https://www.toontrack.com/ezdrummerline.asp
https://www.native-instruments.com/en/search/?q=drum

If you were looking for cheaper options, I don't really know much about what else that is around.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2013, 02:48:35 AM by BlobVanDam »
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2013, 05:27:33 AM »
Toontrack Drumkit From Hell is what I use and I usually double it up with the most realistic sounding Logic MIDI kit...

The two together plus humanize - a touch of EQ, ever-so-slight distortion ( mixed low )  and reverb etc sounds pretty natural.

Offline Dellers

• Funky Norwegian!
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2013, 06:30:53 AM »
Superior Drummer is great IMO. It can sound great for most genres, depending on which particular drums you choose. I also have The Metal Foundry expansion - which is a bit less processed and perhaps easier to tweak to one's liking. It doesn't have to sound metal at all.
https://soundcloud.com/dellers2/jpxi-o
Religious faith can only exist when there is no God, otherwise there wouldn't be a reason to believe.

Offline danijs

• DTC
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2013, 10:29:19 PM »
Motif XS is very helpful in pre-productions:
Listen to the sound of drums
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mMoNyU70Ijg

:yarr

Offline OsMosis2259

• Pretty Pretty Pretty Good!
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2013, 09:08:33 AM »
ezdrummer is the way to go in my opinion.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2013, 10:08:42 AM »

That's what Drumkit From hell is. it's an expansion pack for EZDrummer.

Offline OsMosis2259

• Pretty Pretty Pretty Good!
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2013, 05:18:22 PM »

That's what Drumkit From hell is. it's an expansion pack for EZDrummer.

Yeah I know I have it too (although I prefer Metal Machine). I was kind of agreeing with everyone that said ezdrummer  :tup

Superior Drummer is similar but on steroids lol

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2013, 05:26:03 PM »
I want SD2.0 but can't really afford it.

Offline (nothing)

« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2013, 05:15:44 PM »
Superior Drummer's the best one I've used by far.

Offline kneepel

« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2013, 08:40:43 PM »
Steven Slate Drums and SD 2.0 work great for me, if you want something free to try, then search for the Sennheiser Drummic'a VST. It's free and surprisingly good considering lol.

Offline Unimatrix

• The lurking clown
  • They float...
« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2013, 07:35:35 PM »
Steven Slate Drums and SD 2.0 work great for me, if you want something free to try, then search for the Sennheiser Drummic'a VST. It's free and surprisingly good considering lol.
+1 for Steven Slate Drums. Comes with tons of mix-presets so you don't have to be a sound engineer to use them with good results.

Offline ddtonfire

« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2013, 11:38:30 AM »
I use Superior Drummer 2.0 and mix it with the Metal Foundry expansion. Great stuff for bedroom studios.

Offline cool34231a

« Reply #13 on: September 25, 2013, 06:01:56 PM »
Also using Superior Drummer 2.0  :metal

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #14 on: September 28, 2013, 06:41:23 PM »
If I ever get a job ( :( ) - I might have to upgrade to SD2.0 for my next album.

Offline Jadefox02

• Friggin Metal
« Reply #15 on: October 01, 2013, 02:00:43 PM »
Superior Drummer is a much better line than EZDrummer, oddly enough by the same people. Drums sound a lot better IMO, and there are a lot of awesome producer presets from renowned audio engineers. I even use it for my own stuff (shameless plug: www.soundcloud.com/everydayidream) and I love the sound.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #16 on: October 02, 2013, 10:40:13 AM »
 :metal The League Of Evil Exes

I'm In Lesbians With You :lol

Nice sounding drums !!!! I think the problem is - most people don't know how to use it and make it sound natural and have no humanize on whatsoever and quantize the shit out of everything so it doesn't sound natural. I purposefully go the other way and put loads of humanize on everything and don't care too much about things flamming a bit on the beat. Because it sounds like a band playing.

* - that's just my preferred style. I've never been into the whole tech/math metal sound :)

Offline Jadefox02

• Friggin Metal
« Reply #17 on: October 02, 2013, 11:38:41 AM »
:metal The League Of Evil Exes

I'm In Lesbians With You :lol

Nice sounding drums !!!! I think the problem is - most people don't know how to use it and make it sound natural and have no humanize on whatsoever and quantize the shit out of everything so it doesn't sound natural. I purposefully go the other way and put loads of humanize on everything and don't care too much about things flamming a bit on the beat. Because it sounds like a band playing.

* - that's just my preferred style. I've never been into the whole tech/math metal sound :)

Yeah, the biggest problem is that a lot of people will just through the drums on and go to town, when it really takes an audio engineer's mindset to EQ/Compress/Mix the drums accordingly, then adjusting the dynamics and humanizing, as you said.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #18 on: October 02, 2013, 12:28:32 PM »
Here is a track of mine I used DFH with :

https://davidoakes.bandcamp.com/track/the-fire-in-the-sky

I think they sound pretty decent - but I definitely want to upgrade to SD2.0

I like putting a touch of distortion on the snare and copying my entire DFH track with a logic drums track with overall gain & reverb on mixed low just to give it some extra "thwack"

Plus I  :heart using electro drums for certain sections. Just for some colour.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #19 on: October 02, 2013, 12:32:51 PM »

Yeah, the biggest problem is that a lot of people will just through the drums on and go to town,

Ugh - you can tell when a non drummer has written the drums as it's like LOL 8 bass drums and 16 toms and all 8 limbs playing at once. Wait What ?!