Author Topic: 20 years ago today...  (Read 1950 times)

Offline RodrigoAltaf

20 years ago today...
« on: August 28, 2013, 03:22:39 PM »
...Bruce did his final show with Maiden. I watched it on the TV a few hours after it happened in London, and was in absolute shock when I heard he was leaving. Thank God they realized soon enough that Blaze was not a good fit and brought Bruce back.

Back then Maiden was my favourite band, and when Bruce called it quits I was only on my second year in college, 19 years old, and had only seen Maiden once, during the Fear of the Dark Tour.

Was anyone here on the forum at that concert? DT seems to have a younger fanbase than Maiden - did anyone here follow their "break" then, or only me?

By the way, I found the whole footage of his last concert here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=ZV1TP_WaJ1E

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
Re: 20 years ago today...
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2013, 03:58:30 PM »
I started listen to maiden during 93-94 but wasn't aware what the band was going through at that time. I did follow them during the 90s and remember a friend who saw them live during the xfactor tour. He was shocked to see them play at a venue with a capacity of about 2-3000 and the place wasn't even full. The golden years were clearly over, atleast that's what many thought. Then something amazing happend during 99 that I remember like yesterday... :coolio
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2013, 04:08:04 PM »
I didnt become a fan until 2003 and a die hard until 2004 so I didnt experience any of this, but can only imagine how crazy it was. 

Offline TempusVox

• Descendant of Primus
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2013, 04:26:14 PM »
"....Sgt. Pepper taught the band to pla---" Oh. Sorry! Thought we were doing a song here.  :biggrin:

Sorry. Couldn't resist.
You don't HAVE a soul.You ARE a soul.You HAVE a body.
"I came here to drink milk and kick ass; and I just finished my milk."

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2013, 07:19:29 AM »
Compared to a few breakups we saw recently (Mike Portnoy vs. Dream Theater, Geoff Tate vs. Queensrÿche, Scott Weiland and Stone Temple Pilots), Bruce leaving Maiden was quieter than a Librarian´s convention. Of course back then we didn´t have the mega-exposure we have today with the internet, blogging, facebook and whatnot, so we relied on magazine interviews. I do remember some comments from Bruce about how Steve Harris dominated the creative process and kept control of everything Maiden. I also remember a VERY polite interview with Nicko where he said that "If Bruce wanted to leave, ok...we would like to carry on". Aside from that, both sides were very quiet. I think both sides quickly realized that they had a lot to lose without each other, and getting back together was a no brainer.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2013, 07:26:16 AM »
The split was probably the best thing that could happen. Steve was not only taking more control during that time, but he was taking that control during a time when his quality was far below what fans were used to. The split allowed us to get two fantastic Psycho Motel albums, and two absolutely stunning Bruce solo albums, along with some other good stuff from Bruce as well. Meanwhile Steve likely got the kick in the ass he needed to see how much Bruce and Adrian meant to the band and how important it was to work with them and continue involving them in things.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline The Curious Orange

• Lord of the Night
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2013, 07:39:50 AM »
I was at the 1992 Donnington show - one of the last with Bruce - and while his leaving was a big deal, it wasn't that big a deal. A lot of fans were quite angry with him, but looking back, I can't say I blamed him for jumping ship, I think Maiden had peaked with Seventh Son... and were on a downward slide - and Bruce knew it.

Y'know, at the time, I really liked Blaze and I thought The X Factor was a great album - heck, I still do. Shame Virtual XI was so dire.

I honestly think that since the reunion, Maiden have surpassed themselves, with four of the best albums they've ever made.
"And if love remains, though everything is lost,
We will pay the price, but we will not count the cost..."

Offline Mister Gold

• The Makers of Our Own Destiny
  • Human
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2013, 08:10:36 AM »
The split was probably the best thing that could happen. Steve was not only taking more control during that time, but he was taking that control during a time when his quality was far below what fans were used to. The split allowed us to get two fantastic Psycho Motel albums, and two absolutely stunning Bruce solo albums, along with some other good stuff from Bruce as well. Meanwhile Steve likely got the kick in the ass he needed to see how much Bruce and Adrian meant to the band and how important it was to work with them and continue involving them in things.

This. If Bruce hadn't left, we would've never gotten Accident of Birth or The Chemical Wedding. Despite how many great albums Iron Maiden has made over the years, I'm not really sure any of them match either of those two albums in overall quality.
Beyond the limits of the mortal frame
To the farthest boundary of eternity
Where I, the Cosmic Sea
Watch the little ego floating in me.

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2013, 08:33:53 AM »

You´re the first person I´ve ever seen to make reference to Psycho Motel, so props to you, buddy! I only have one of their albums, and it sounds really good.

The one collateral damage from the split is that now we need to put up with Jannick Gers. If only he could take a hint and leave the band, that would be perfect.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2013, 08:44:25 AM »
The one collateral damage from the split is that now we need to put up with Jannick Gers. If only he could take a hint and leave the band, that would be perfect.

I (and, thankfully, MANY other fans) strongly disagree.  I admit that I never saw the need for a band to have 3 guitar players.  But for Maiden, with all the dual leads and harmonies, their live show sounds a ton better with a third guitar.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2013, 08:50:23 AM »
He's a great live asset, he's a great songwriter and asset in the studio. He got off to a rocky start when he joined because he wasn't able to properly play certain solos, but he's a huge contributor to the band and YOU need to take a hint and realize why the band loves him and the fans do too.

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2013, 08:59:19 AM »
Here´s a hint: check out some live footage of the band playing Moonchild and see Jannick butchering Adrian´s solo. He also does a very poor job with 2 Minutes to Midnight and a bunch of other songs. And for a band with 03 guitar players, I expected a lot more in terms of harmonies and interplay. But that´s only my opinion anyway. Lucky is the one who´s comfortable and happy with Jannick´s presence in the band...I for one, am not.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: August 29, 2013, 09:53:26 AM »
Maiden's problem is this, they don't utilize the 3 guitarists nearly as well as they could. Jannick usually just ends up doubling a part, even when there is a third part he could be playing, because left to his own he makes too many mistakes. Don't get me wrong, I like Jannick's antics, I really enjoy a lot of the songs he's helped write, but they might as well put him in a clown outfit and have him dance around stage because he's much more suited for that than being a third live guitarist.

Edit: And his solos, while good, usually aren't as good as Dave or Adrian.
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #13 on: August 29, 2013, 10:21:26 AM »
Maiden's problem is this, they don't utilize the 3 guitarists nearly as well as they could. Jannick usually just ends up doubling a part, even when there is a third part he could be playing, because left to his own he makes too many mistakes. Don't get me wrong, I like Jannick's antics, I really enjoy a lot of the songs he's helped write, but they might as well put him in a clown outfit and have him dance around stage because he's much more suited for that than being a third live guitarist.

Agreed!

When he plays the solos he wrote, it´s fine. Dance of Death, for example, has a great solo. But when he´s playin something the other two wrote, it sounds really bad.

Offline Mladen

« Reply #14 on: August 29, 2013, 11:24:52 AM »
Janick Gers is my favorite songwriter in the band from the reunion onwards. Just thinking of all the great songs he's written, we wouldn't have had some modern classics had he left.

But when it comes to Bruce's departure, it was the best thing that could happen to them at that point. Bruce embarked on a successful solo career and Maiden went adventurous as well. Personally, I'd like to see a post from someone who attended some Maiden shows during the Blaze era and share their opinion. The fans embraced the Blaze era quite a few years later, but I wonder how many people liked it back in the day. 

EDIT: I didn't mean necessarily attended the shows, just followed the band.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2013, 12:19:07 PM by Mladen »

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #15 on: August 29, 2013, 12:09:26 PM »
I saw them with Blaze in 96, on the X Factour. Lots of energy on stage, but horrible vocals. When they came back to Rio for the Virtual XI Tour I didn't even bother attending.

Offline theseoafs

• When the lights go down in the city, and the sun shines on the bayyyyy
  • Hello! My name is Elder Price
« Reply #16 on: August 29, 2013, 12:16:41 PM »

Damn, I had no idea anybody disliked Janick's contributions to the band this much.

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #17 on: August 29, 2013, 12:23:04 PM »
Here´s a hint: check out some live footage of the band playing Moonchild and see Jannick butchering Adrian´s solo. He also does a very poor job with 2 Minutes to Midnight and a bunch of other songs. And for a band with 03 guitar players, I expected a lot more in terms of harmonies and interplay. But that´s only my opinion anyway. Lucky is the one who´s comfortable and happy with Jannick´s presence in the band...I for one, am not.
Well, fine, but it's time to get out of the 90s. Adrian plays his own solos again now, and Janick has his own contributions.

Dude, your avatar is the same as Jamesman's 5/8 avatar. You got me all excited thinking he was unbanned :P

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #18 on: August 29, 2013, 12:25:54 PM »

Damn, I had no idea anybody disliked Janick's contributions to the band this much.

I was mostly complimentary... basically the only thing negative I said is that he's a sloppy live player, which I think even fans of his will admit.

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!
« Reply #19 on: August 29, 2013, 10:41:55 PM »
Janick's songwriting is far superior to his playing. As long as he keeps contributing to their new albums, I can put up with his stage antics. I don't like that he plays some of Adrian's solos, but that was Adrian's decision anyway. Oh well.
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods

Offline Cruithne

« Reply #20 on: August 30, 2013, 03:49:56 AM »
Compared to a few breakups we saw recently (Mike Portnoy vs. Dream Theater, Geoff Tate vs. Queensrÿche, Scott Weiland and Stone Temple Pilots), Bruce leaving Maiden was quieter than a Librarian´s convention. Of course back then we didn´t have the mega-exposure we have today with the internet, blogging, facebook and whatnot, so we relied on magazine interviews. I do remember some comments from Bruce about how Steve Harris dominated the creative process and kept control of everything Maiden. I also remember a VERY polite interview with Nicko where he said that "If Bruce wanted to leave, ok...we would like to carry on". Aside from that, both sides were very quiet. I think both sides quickly realized that they had a lot to lose without each other, and getting back together was a no brainer.

There was also the interview in Kerrang! during the farewell tour where Nicko complained about Bruce's inconsistent performances and accused him of shitting on the band  :angel:

But yes, it was all quite civilised really.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #21 on: August 30, 2013, 06:50:00 AM »

Get over it bro.  He ain't going anywhere, and I really wouldn't want him to go anywhere.  Janick songwriting adds dimension to the reunion albums that no one else in the band can, and like MIaden, he might be my fav songwriter post reunion. 

The only thing I do agree on is him taking Adrian's solos.  I understand they do it to level things out, but it does leave a bit of a bitter taste in the mouth.  His live playing isn't really that bad and he has improved a lot the last few years.

Also, think about this, Adrian has only been a member of the band 1 year more than Janick in total.  I think people forget he's been in the band for so long.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #22 on: August 30, 2013, 03:25:48 PM »
I vividly remember setting my VCR for Bruce's last show, only to come home and find it didn't record. Even paid for the damn pay per view. I remember thinking that being a pay per view event here, that it would be a route a lot of bands would go. I'm actually surprised the idea has never really taken off.

As far as Jannick goes, one thing that is most evident about the band is its chemistry, and Jannick's presence in the band cannot ever be understated in this regard.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #23 on: August 30, 2013, 03:48:58 PM »
I know Jannick plays sloppy live, but they guy puts on a show and is a HUGE part of the band. I wouldn't want him to leave.

Offline Mosh

« Reply #24 on: August 31, 2013, 11:48:33 AM »

There was also the interview in Kerrang! during the farewell tour where Nicko complained about Bruce's inconsistent performances and accused him of shitting on the band  :angel:

But yes, it was all quite civilised really.
To be fair, Nicko was like shit faced drunk. I don't think there were really any hard feelings and Nicko really missed Bruce.
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #25 on: September 01, 2013, 07:09:20 PM »
Wolfking: I only wish Jannick would leave, but cannot expect it to happen. I know some of the fans dig him and so does the band;

Mosh: Glad you mentioned, I completely forgot the fact that Nicko was never a fan of Blaze´s singing.

Coincidently, I found today this very old interview with Doogie White, who also auditioned for lead singer of Maiden when Bruce left: https://www.metal-rul...d=317&Itemid=54

The highlight of the interview for me:

"Metal-Rules: You auditioned for Iron Maiden after Bruce Dickinson left back in the early 90s. How was it?

Doogie White: Long time ago, man... 1993 I think it was, November or something, certainly coming up to christmas, because they ruined my christmas when they gave the job to Blaze [Bayley]"

Offline Mosh

« Reply #26 on: September 01, 2013, 09:30:08 PM »
Didn't know Doogie White auditioned, they should've went with him.

Did Nicko not like Blaze's singing? I just thought they didn't get along very well, but it doesn't surprise me that at least one member wasn't on board with Blaze.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #27 on: September 02, 2013, 05:52:54 AM »
Yes, it was down to Blaze and Doogie.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Mister Gold

• The Makers of Our Own Destiny
  • Human
« Reply #28 on: September 02, 2013, 07:39:16 PM »
Didn't know Doogie White auditioned, they should've went with him.

Did Nicko not like Blaze's singing? I just thought they didn't get along very well, but it doesn't surprise me that at least one member wasn't on board with Blaze.

The story I heard was that it was Nicko who liked Blaze's audition a lot.  :huh: Like apparently they all listened back to the audition sessions and Nicko said something to the effect that, "It sounds like Iron Maiden to me!" I'd have to double check though.
Beyond the limits of the mortal frame
To the farthest boundary of eternity
Where I, the Cosmic Sea
Watch the little ego floating in me.