Author Topic: Music taste and intelligence  (Read 9412 times)

Offline TheGreatPretender

• The Second Dancing Turtle
  • You are reading these words.
Re: Music taste and intelligence
« Reply #70 on: August 09, 2013, 10:48:01 PM »
Err, no. That's a terrible analogy.
Besides, what TGP is just posting is not that different to what I'm saying. I just have the impression sometimes when I see people in concerts that they're not even aware of the time changes.

What makes you say that? Is it because they have no rhythm and just bang their heads randomly?  :lol
"How's that for a slice of fried gold?"

Offline FourthHorseman

• Cultivating my own nonsense
« Reply #71 on: August 09, 2013, 11:03:29 PM »
I find that while I can enjoy a DT song without knowing the exact rhythm changes, it's really exciting when I learn them. Knowing that the quiet part towards the beginning of BAI for example, goes 7/8 6/8 5/8 4/8 ..... Makes the song a little cooler to me, but I still enjoyed the song before I knew that, and I could still tap along with the rhythm.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #72 on: August 10, 2013, 12:10:34 AM »
I dunno. I can definitely say I derive a good amount of enjoyment of listening to DT to "crack the code" so to speak, I.e. parsing the song.

Likewise. It's like appreciating the construction and engineering process of a structure. You can appreciate something plenty on a surface level, but you can gain a whole new appreciating for something on other levels once you see how much more there can be to it, and notice details you otherwise wouldn't have.

There's no achievement quite like memorizing all of the time sig variations in a song and nailing the air drum patterns. :lol Or understanding exactly why a certain chord progression or melody gives you chills every time.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline jsem

« Reply #73 on: August 10, 2013, 05:20:33 AM »
If odd time signatures are made the right way, it won't show itself that it's in an odd meter because it will feel totally natural. UAGM instrumental breakdown comes to mind, so does Take Five, Money by Pink Floyd, 7/8 section in ANTR, etc.

So I can see how some people can be completely oblivious to the time changes. If the music feels right, it doesn't matter what meter it's in.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #74 on: August 10, 2013, 06:14:06 AM »
It definitely sounds like the "unweaving the rainbow" discussion. You certainly can enjoy the rainbow as it is, but I find the knowledge how it came about adds to its grandeur.
It's a bit like the difference between passive and active listening.
Rumby, I think I'm a lot like you in that regard, but a lot of people (like my girlfriend for instance) are actually the opposite. The technical/scientific explanation behind something ruins the magic of it for her. We've talked about rainbows before in that context, and the same seems to apply to music, film, etc as well. Different strokes.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline Jaq

• Favorite song by Europe: Carrie.
« Reply #75 on: August 10, 2013, 08:40:16 AM »
Err, no. That's a terrible analogy.
Besides, what TGP is just posting is not that different to what I'm saying. I just have the impression sometimes when I see people in concerts that they're not even aware of the time changes.

I fail to see why it matters. Knowing that a part is in 12/8 isn't going to add 500% to your appreciation of the song. Oh no, they might not be moving in 12/8!

And that IS what you're saying. You're saying that if you don't properly know the mechanism behind something, you're unqualified to appreciate it or be involved in it. It'd be like me getting all over someone who says "that's a cool looking building" because I'm a construction superintendent and I know how every step of the job was done.
The bones of beasts and the bones of kings become dust in the wake of the hymn.
Mighty kingdoms rise, but they all will fall, no more than a breath on the wind.

Offline pain of occupation

• DT.net Veteran
  • DTF Official Thread Killer
« Reply #76 on: August 10, 2013, 09:27:10 PM »
I (emphasis, not grammar) wanted to bring up time sigs.

almost all music, relatively speaking, is in time. and i would argue that people cant enjoy music if they cant "find one". i dont have enough experience with free time in music, but im pretty sure the need to "find one" applies just as much to me as everyone else.

the mainstream rarely deviates from 4/4. pretty sure its cuz sheep struggle with counting.

Offline Jaffa

• Just Jaffa
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #77 on: August 10, 2013, 10:16:44 PM »
the mainstream rarely deviates from 4/4. pretty sure its cuz sheep struggle with counting.

::)
Sincerely,
Jaffa

Offline HarlequinForest

« Reply #78 on: August 11, 2013, 12:22:51 AM »

No, it's because the "sheep" like predictability and ease of listening. I can't count very well, but I like odd time signatures because I like to be able to listen to a song 20 times and still not be sure which beat every note falls on.

Offline Implode

• Lord of the Squids
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #79 on: August 11, 2013, 09:39:12 AM »
Using the same musical form and meter is similar to back when classical composers wrote sonatas. They wrote to a specific formula that they assumed the listeners would recognize and be able to follow. It also makes remembering the tune a lot easier from the first few listens.

Offline kári

• Meow
  • DTF.com Member
  • ţađ besta sem guđ hefur skapađ er nýr dagur
« Reply #80 on: August 11, 2013, 09:43:29 AM »
It definitely sounds like the "unweaving the rainbow" discussion. You certainly can enjoy the rainbow as it is, but I find the knowledge how it came about adds to its grandeur.
It's a bit like the difference between passive and active listening.
Rumby, I think I'm a lot like you in that regard, but a lot of people (like my girlfriend for instance) are actually the opposite. The technical/scientific explanation behind something ruins the magic of it for her. We've talked about rainbows before in that context, and the same seems to apply to music, film, etc as well. Different strokes.
Reminds me of Feynman. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bgaw9qe7DEE&feature=youtu.be&t=25s :)

Oh god... I'll just bring up this: there is much more to music than complexity. For me, and many other music lovers, expression of emotion is what they look for in music. And I'm struggling to come up with a genre that has, on average, less emotion in it's music than progressive rock.

The sheep which you are talking about are in general not looking for anything in music. They don't mind it, but if it's too loud they'll turn it down. Or maybe they truly can enjoy music from time to time, granted that it's not too "weird". I'll compare this to maybe your taste in movies, or other visual arts (which granted I don't know anything about).
« Last Edit: August 11, 2013, 09:57:06 AM by kári »

You and me go parallel, together and apart

« Reply #81 on: August 11, 2013, 11:04:08 AM »
If odd time signatures are made the right way, it won't show itself that it's in an odd meter because it will feel totally natural. UAGM instrumental breakdown comes to mind, so does Take Five, Money by Pink Floyd, 7/8 section in ANTR, etc.

I hope by "the right way" you don't mean, "The way it should be done." Because I think one of the most interesting and creative ways of using off time signatures is where you listen to the song and it throws you for a loop, and you go, "Whoa! That was crazy! What happened there?"

So when you say the right way, you don't mean that if they're noticeable, they did it the wrong way.

Offline jsem

« Reply #82 on: August 11, 2013, 12:10:28 PM »

I hope by "the right way" you don't mean, "The way it should be done." Because I think one of the most interesting and creative ways of using off time signatures is where you listen to the song and it throws you for a loop, and you go, "Whoa! That was crazy! What happened there?"

So when you say the right way, you don't mean that if they're noticeable, they did it the wrong way.
What I mean is, it shouldn't feel forced. Sometimes I get the feel from prog bands that certain sections are oddly timed for the sake of it alone.

« Reply #83 on: August 11, 2013, 12:12:25 PM »
What I mean is, it shouldn't feel forced. Sometimes I get the feel from prog bands that certain sections are oddly timed for the sake of it alone.

But it's still easily possible for them not to be forced, and still stand out and be noticeable.

Offline millahh

• Retired Pedantic Bastard
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • RIP Mark
« Reply #84 on: August 11, 2013, 12:15:42 PM »
In case anyone truly thinks that liking complex music necessarily correlates with intelligence, I have one word for you:

Monto.
Quote from: parallax
WHEN WILL YOU ADRESS MY MONKEY ARGUMENT???? NEVER???? THAT\' WHAT I FIGURED.:lol

Offline pain of occupation

• DT.net Veteran
  • DTF Official Thread Killer
« Reply #85 on: August 11, 2013, 01:01:09 PM »
i was just being a dick.

but in all honesty, theres more to what the OP was getting at than most of the responses will give it credit for.

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
  • Ashes to ashes, fun to funky.
« Reply #86 on: August 11, 2013, 09:56:25 PM »
 :lol

DTP says "WOW, LOOK AT THAT GREAT POST"
RIP DTP.