Author Topic: Retro Video Games  (Read 2434 times)

Offline Lucien

• James 5:1-5
Re: Retro Video Games
« Reply #35 on: August 08, 2013, 03:23:35 PM »
Lugaru certainly isn't old, but it feels old enough for me to include it here.
"Kind of a stupid game, isn't it?" - Calvin

Offline Laich21DT

• I AM ERROR.
« Reply #36 on: August 08, 2013, 04:03:41 PM »
You know the names of the towns in Adventure of Link?  :lol

Of course I know that the towns are named Rauru, Ruto, Saria, Mido, Nabooru, Darunia, and Kasuto. You don't?!  :P

You might recognize those as the Sages (and your jealous rival) from Ocarina of Time.

Nice avatar, btw.
I've got a plan, it involves pulling up our bootstraps, oiling up a couple of asses, and doing a little plowing of our own...... not gay sex. -Mac, It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia

Offline Jaffa

• Just Jaffa
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #37 on: August 08, 2013, 04:09:38 PM »
I need to give Adventures of Link another try sometime.  I kind of hated it, but I think that's probably because I went into it expecting it to be like other Legend of Zelda games, so I never gave it a fair chance to shine on its own merits. 
Sincerely,
Jaffa

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #38 on: August 08, 2013, 04:17:45 PM »
Of course I know that the towns are named Rauru, Ruto, Saria, Mido, Nabooru, Darunia, and Kasuto. You don't?!  :P

You might recognize those as the Sages (and your jealous rival) from Ocarina of Time.

Well, crap. Learn something new every day! I tried to play through AoL again a while back. Got as far as Temple 5 maybe. Just couldn't finish it. Somehow managed to finish it when it first came out. I remember actually drawing out a map of the final temple with a friend as we went through it.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline Laich21DT

• I AM ERROR.
« Reply #39 on: August 08, 2013, 04:22:52 PM »
Jaffa: I'd suggest that you do. It's definitely quite a bit different than every other Zelda game (although it was the first with towns to visit), but I'd argue it's still a great game. As you're probably aware, the game is very challenging, but the challenge is fair for the most part. The difficulty level is actually what keep bringing me back to the game, adding to its replay value. Dark Link, the final boss, is the hardest boss in all of Zelda, imo. A couple of years ago, I finally was able to defeat him without using the notorious corner-trick. It might have been the most fulfilling moments I've ever had playing a game.

Cool Chris: The Ocean Palace (5) is a total bitch. The hardest in the game, to me. I've had the same experience as you, having beaten a game back when I was a kid, but struggling with it nowadays. I used to be able to beat Mega Man 2 in about an hour, and when I started replaying that game a few years ago, it took be months to beat it.
I've got a plan, it involves pulling up our bootstraps, oiling up a couple of asses, and doing a little plowing of our own...... not gay sex. -Mac, It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia

Offline Cable

« Reply #40 on: August 10, 2013, 08:51:22 AM »

Was a big fan of FMV PC games, and am pumped there is a new Tex Murphy game coming.

Wing Commander III and WC IV were fantastic, and probably my next in line for favorite PC games. I do miss FMV video games, and changing 4+ CDs!
---

Offline Snow_Dog

• Wave after wave
« Reply #41 on: August 10, 2013, 09:04:49 AM »
Megaman is my favourite NES series. I think 3 edges out 2 a bit for me because it's more difficult, it introduces Rush, Protoman, the slide move, and has my favourite Megaman theme, the one that plays during the opening. The X series is awesome too, with the first or X3 being my favourite. X4 is really good too.

Some other of my favourite classics are

NES - Castlevania 1, Shatterhand, Star Tropics, Mike Tyson's Punch Out!!, Mario 2 & 3, Contra 1, and Shadowgate

SNES - Chrono Trigger, Final Fanasy III, Earthbound, Donkey Kong Country 1 & 2, Mario RPG, Wild Guns, Turtles in Time, Super Metroid, Contra 3, Castlevania 4, Link to the Past

N64 - Ocarina of Time, Majoras Mask, Banjo Kazooie, Paper Mario, Smash Bros., Star Fox, Mario Party 2, Mario 64

Skipping everything else and going to PC - Interstate '76, Duke Nukem 3D, Star Wars Dark Forces 1, 2, & Jedi Outcast

Offline The King in Crimson

• Stuck in a glass dome since 1914!
  • Mr. Sandman, Give Me A Dream
« Reply #42 on: August 10, 2013, 11:35:07 AM »
I loved X-Com. Killer game. That and Master of Orion.
X-Com was waaaaay ahead of its time. Even the new version doesn't quite match up to some aspects of the old.

Another good retro game that I somehow forgot: Doom (PC)

Still immensely enjoyable these days!

Offline Laich21DT

• I AM ERROR.
« Reply #43 on: August 10, 2013, 01:40:22 PM »
Megaman is my favourite NES series. I think 3 edges out 2 a bit for me because it's more difficult, it introduces Rush, Protoman, the slide move, and has my favourite Megaman theme, the one that plays during the opening. The X series is awesome too, with the first or X3 being my favourite. X4 is really good too.

You think 3 is harder than 2? Interesting. I think that 3 is easier than 2, for a few reasons. First, the slide. Second, you can acquire a maximum of 9 Energy tanks, vs. a max 4 is MM2. Also, in 3 your energy tanks don't disappear when you get a Game Over, unlike in 2. It also seems like you come across Extra lives more frequently in MM3. With the opportunity to have more E-tanks, and being able hang on to them when you get GO, this makes Wily's Castle much easier, IMO.

There are some aspects in which MM3 is more difficult than MM2. First, is seems like there is just more danger all around MM3. Second, there's no Metal Blade. Once you get the Metal Blade in MM2, you can pretty much use that weapon and the arm cannon for the rest of the game. Of course, MM3 has the Shadow Blade, which is similar, but definitely a toned down version. Also, there is the four extended stages that you must go through after defeating the eight robot masters. That is the most difficult part of the game, IMO.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #44 on: August 10, 2013, 02:01:40 PM »
Sensible Soccer on the Amiga... properly classic!

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline Rattlehead

« Reply #45 on: August 10, 2013, 02:05:41 PM »
Speaking of Megaman, has anyone here played Megaman soccer? That one was pretty fun  :lol

Offline Snow_Dog

• Wave after wave
« Reply #46 on: August 10, 2013, 02:18:01 PM »
There are some aspects in which MM3 is more difficult than MM2. First, is seems like there is just more danger all around MM3. Second, there's no Metal Blade. Once you get the Metal Blade in MM2, you can pretty much use that weapon and the arm cannon for the rest of the game. Of course, MM3 has the Shadow Blade, which is similar, but definitely a toned down version. Also, there is the four extended stages that you must go through after defeating the eight robot masters. That is the most difficult part of the game, IMO.

Pretty much why I think it's the harder game, especially the 4 extended stages. The only games I ever relied heavily on E Tanks were in the X series, which were the sub tanks. That's not to say I don't use them in the classic games, but it's really rare for the ones I replay the most which are 1 - 3. The game was also designed taking the slide into consideration, it doesn't really feel like an advantage for the most part. I also think the Metal Blade in 2 almost breaks the game, especially on Normal.

Overall I just think that 3 has a lot more difficult parts in it compared to 2, I'd have to replay them both again to go into more specifics though. In the end maybe it might just come down to the fact that I've played 2 a lot more than I've played 3 and just have an easier time with that one.

Speaking of Megaman, has anyone here played Megaman soccer? That one was pretty fun  :lol

YES, I played this one a bit, I remember it being pretty hard too.

Offline Cable

« Reply #47 on: August 11, 2013, 06:40:37 AM »
I'll go with MM3 as harder as well. The MM2 bosses are harder than they were in MM2, as well as the actual stages. And if I recall properly, Dr Wily is very hard; I often needed to burn tanks on him.

Now if we do MM2 on Difficult, that is different. But the Metal Blade is indeed ridiculous.
---

Offline Laich21DT

• I AM ERROR.
« Reply #48 on: August 11, 2013, 11:59:49 AM »
It's been a while since I played MM3, but I seem to remember being able to take out Wily's final form with one Top Spin.

Btw, any fellow fans of the Angry Video Game Nerd here?

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #49 on: August 11, 2013, 12:08:17 PM »
Coin-op: Spy Hunter, Excitabike, Elevator Action
2600: Yar's Revenge, Berzerk
Intellivision: Football, Baseball
PC: Castle Wolfenstine (original), HHGttG, Doom2 (best game ever)
SNES: F-Zero
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline AngelBack

• I'm officially a lard......
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Why you want beef with broccoli ?
« Reply #50 on: August 11, 2013, 12:31:57 PM »
I have a SEGA Genesis just to play Toejam and Earl.
But the arc of your life will still be profound

Offline Cable

« Reply #51 on: August 11, 2013, 01:43:08 PM »
It's been a while since I played MM3, but I seem to remember being able to take out Wily's final form with one Top Spin.

Yup, that form is not bad. There is one where he has a machine with two poles, and you have to time shots at him (might be a faux Wily, cannot remember).

---

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #52 on: August 12, 2013, 05:33:26 AM »
Sonic
Streets of Rage
Ninja Gaiden
Alex Kidd series
The Mickey Mouse series
Castlevania
Street Fighter
Mortal Kombat
Shinobi
Shadow Dance
TMNT
Ghouls and Ghosts
Gunstar Heroes
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• Official Forum Sous Chef and broler5
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #53 on: August 12, 2013, 06:40:49 AM »
I loved X-Com. Killer game. That and Master of Orion.
X-Com was waaaaay ahead of its time. Even the new version doesn't quite match up to some aspects of the old.

Another good retro game that I somehow forgot: Doom (PC)

Still immensely enjoyable these days!

Yep, and X-Com was surprisingly tough to pull off well, even on easy.

And definitely Doom/Doom 2 were awesome.  I loved going online and downloading new .wad files to play.  Especially when they were large enough to replace an entire episode, instead of one level.  Then there were specialty .wad files.  I had one that replaced all the monster noises and other odd sound effects with James Brown sound clips.  Freakin' hilarious!

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #54 on: August 12, 2013, 10:32:53 AM »
I've never played a MegMan game. Ever.

I started playing Link's Awakening on my PC since I haven't played that before. I never owned a handheld Nintendo system.

I've watched lots of his videos. I wish some of his game choices weren't so... obscure.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline Snow_Dog

• Wave after wave
« Reply #55 on: August 12, 2013, 03:43:09 PM »
I've watched a bunch of AVGN's stuff. I used to be a bigger fan of it, it's gotten a bit stale for me recently though. I guess he's still working on that movie too. I'm more into JonTron's stuff, and Continue? now.

Offline TheGreatPretender

• The Second Dancing Turtle
  • You are reading these words.
« Reply #56 on: August 12, 2013, 06:11:06 PM »
The very first video game that I ever deemed "my favorite" was Double Dragon 2 on NES. And I still love it and replay it on occasion.
Also a huge fan of the Mortal Kombat franchise, and Earthworm Jim. Contra was a bitch to beat, but I still love it.
"How's that for a slice of fried gold?"

Offline Jaffa

• Just Jaffa
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #57 on: August 12, 2013, 06:51:17 PM »
The very first video game that I ever deemed "my favorite" was Double Dragon 2 on NES. And I still love it and replay it on occasion.

:metal

I remember totally flipping out the first time I managed to beat that game.
Sincerely,
Jaffa

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #58 on: August 12, 2013, 06:57:18 PM »
Bahahaha.  My favorite retro games were on the Commodore 64.  Fort Apocalypse, Bruce Lee, M.U.L.E., Satan's Hollow, Telengard, Lode Runner, Montezuma's Revenge, Impossible Mission, Bard's Tale 2, Phantasie, etc.  :lol

Man, I remember most of those.  But this was my favorite:  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spelunker_(video_game)

But even before that, I saved up my paper route money and bought an Atari 2600, and had a ton of games for it.  I still remember having to hook up that stupid swtich box to the antenna screws on the back of the TV.  Remember those stupid screws and that box?  Yeah, we didn't have HDMI ports or USB ports.  You young'ns and your newfangled technology!  :getoffmylawn: :tick:
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

« Reply #59 on: August 12, 2013, 07:04:04 PM »

:metal

I remember totally flipping out the first time I managed to beat that game.

It also has what's still one of my favorite video game soundtracks ever. The melodies were so catchy and so badass.

Offline Lucien

« Reply #60 on: August 12, 2013, 10:51:20 PM »
Pokemon Blue. I remember my hands SWEATING AND SHAKING while I was fighting the champion. It was really intense. I completely flipped out when I beat it. That was the most satisfaction I had ever had beating a game.

« Reply #61 on: August 13, 2013, 12:33:58 AM »
Pokemon Blue. I remember my hands SWEATING AND SHAKING while I was fighting the champion. It was really intense. I completely flipped out when I beat it. That was the most satisfaction I had ever had beating a game.
Not me. Unfortunately, I had been corrupted by the Missingno glitch and the infinite rare candies that resulted from it, long before I reached the champion.

Offline Lucien

« Reply #62 on: August 13, 2013, 08:38:44 AM »
Not me. Unfortunately, I had been corrupted by the Missingno glitch and the infinite rare candies that resulted from it, long before I reached the champion.

I was eight at the time, so I didn't even know the glitch existed.

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• Official Forum Sous Chef and broler5
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #63 on: August 14, 2013, 01:35:19 PM »
Bahahaha.  My favorite retro games were on the Commodore 64.  Fort Apocalypse, Bruce Lee, M.U.L.E., Satan's Hollow, Telengard, Lode Runner, Montezuma's Revenge, Impossible Mission, Bard's Tale 2, Phantasie, etc.  :lol

Man, I remember most of those.  But this was my favorite:  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spelunker_(video_game)

But even before that, I saved up my paper route money and bought an Atari 2600, and had a ton of games for it.  I still remember having to hook up that stupid swtich box to the antenna screws on the back of the TV.  Remember those stupid screws and that box?  Yeah, we didn't have HDMI ports or USB ports.  You young'ns and your newfangled technology!  :getoffmylawn: :tick:

My favorite Atari 2600 game was Riddle of the Sphinx.

And yes, the switch box was a huge pain in the ass.