Author Topic: 2011-12-02 - City National Grove - Anaheim, CA  (Read 12717 times)

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
Re: 2011-12-02 - City National Grove - Anaheim, CA
« Reply #35 on: December 02, 2011, 10:36:27 AM »
Looks like we are getting Caught in a Web / Wait For Sleep / Far from Heaven.

Sadness.

Beneath the Surface.... has to be one of my favs now...
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline TheLordOfTheStrings

• I make music. I also do other stuff sometimes.
  • EB
« Reply #36 on: December 02, 2011, 10:47:56 AM »
Yeahh, I would have liked to see it too. I also wish they'd have kept The Great Debate, cause it's definitely one of my favorites. But I guess it'll be cool to see Outcry this time 'round. It'll be different than last time.
Check out my various music projects - I’ve got concept albums, singer/songwriter, rock, metal, prog, and more coming soon:

https://linktr.ee/STARCOMMANDStudios

Offline Mladen

« Reply #37 on: December 02, 2011, 02:46:16 PM »
I would have a hard time if I had to choose between set lists C and D. I would go with D, I guess - I absolutely adore Beneath the surface, but Far from heaven comes with Wait for sleep and Caught in a web. Still, I guess they will change the set when they hit Europe next year.

Offline JayOctavarium

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #38 on: December 02, 2011, 05:49:17 PM »
Working my way to the grove
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

• EB
« Reply #39 on: December 03, 2011, 02:45:42 AM »
Great show. Had some serious sound issues during the second half though. They kept turning down the keyboards, and there was this high pitched ringing going on. The drums were a bit loud during the first half as well, but it was a pretty small venue so that could have been a factor. Great show. DT, always a class act. James was on fire!
« Last Edit: December 03, 2011, 11:59:53 AM by TheLordOfTheStrings »
Check out my various music projects - I’ve got concept albums, singer/songwriter, rock, metal, prog, and more coming soon:

Offline BFRedrocks

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #40 on: December 03, 2011, 06:53:14 AM »
No setlist posting from last night yet?  Just curious if they switched it up at all from San Diego.

Offline bobs23

• human mic stand
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #41 on: December 03, 2011, 10:57:27 AM »
Pretty much the D setlist. Great sound, except a tweeter blew on the SR main stack at the beginning of WFS. I initally thought that it was something with Jordan's keyboards. Nigal did his best to cover it. Much beter crowd than San Diego. Outcry is really growing on me.

Offline MasterShakezula

• Owes H $10
« Reply #42 on: December 03, 2011, 12:49:53 PM »
Saw it and loved it. 

Also, Charlie popped up. 

Offline JayOctavarium

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #43 on: December 03, 2011, 04:13:35 PM »
Great show. Great energy.  The only gripe I have = sound issues and the waiting staff.  Was cool to chill with Charlie though. And of course mastercupzilla ^ as well :D

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline Lark the Starless

• Engrish.
« Reply #44 on: December 03, 2011, 04:54:49 PM »
Great concert!

I was in the GA standing section but I had this tall brute right in front of me which almost blocked all of Mangini (sort of).

Had a bit of an argument with him but once DT came on stage, it was all good.

Somewhat disappointed with the setlist but still quite solid.

Offline RaiseTheKnife

« Reply #45 on: December 04, 2011, 04:08:32 AM »
I felt the San Diego crowd was more receptive and enchanted by Andy McKee, some hecklers in Anaheim.  James introduced the band as "Dinner Theater" and mistakenly said that the last time they played here was in 1993.  Of course I could hear the DTFers in the crowd correcting him with a yell of 2006! 

The blown tweeter was a terrible nuisance, and very noticable in the outer orchestra area. 

I was trapped in a sea of humanity in what appeared to be a very OVERSOLD GA section.  Started out in the middle GA section, but was dwarfed by tall dudes and some guy trying to appease his upset girlfriend who was uncomfortable being packed in tight with the guys.   I eventually found a nice roomier spot in stage left near JP.

Tons of unchecked cell phone vids (which were well monitored in San Diego), so those might be popping up soon.

Highlight of show #30 was meeting Charlie Dominici in the lobby before the show.  I asked him what his favorite track was on WDADU and he speedily replied The Killing Hand, although he clarified it was his least favorite to sing.  He then proceeded to sing the 1st verse.  We talked about the origin behind Light Fuse and Get Away, when he invited DT to his bombastic fireworks 4th of July party back in the 80's.  Impressivly enough, Charlie then spontaneously sang the chorus and tricky second verse verbatim.  A little private show for me and 2 other gracious fans (and a ton of DT fans walking by him none the wiser - HA!!).  Lastly, we discussed his 04 performance at Pantages, and he joked that he had no idea what to expect when he took the stage, suspecting that he might get pummeled by tomatoes!  A young fan suggested that if DT played a classic tune tonight, he should rush the stage and steal the mic.  Charlie animatedly joked about the idea.  A good sport and a gentleman.

Sound issues aside, it was a memorable evening.

Offline Jamariquay

• When in Rome...
« Reply #46 on: December 04, 2011, 11:11:07 AM »
A young fan suggested that if DT played a classic tune tonight, he should rush the stage and steal the mic.

And then, Dream Theater played..... Ytse Jam :p

Offline JayOctavarium

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #47 on: December 04, 2011, 12:26:27 PM »
Ah so that was you,  raisetheknife! Awesome

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline Schleppy

« Reply #48 on: December 04, 2011, 01:04:35 PM »
I felt the San Diego crowd was more receptive and enchanted by Andy McKee, some hecklers in Anaheim.

Only heckle I could hear was the "SLAYER!" request, which Andy and the rest of the audience seemed to agree was pretty funny.

• EB
« Reply #49 on: December 04, 2011, 01:38:21 PM »
I felt the San Diego crowd was more receptive and enchanted by Andy McKee, some hecklers in Anaheim.

Only heckle I could hear was the "SLAYER!" request, which Andy and the rest of the audience seemed to agree was pretty funny.
Don't forget the guy who suggested he get a guitar tech to tune his guitar.

Offline RaiseTheKnife

« Reply #50 on: December 04, 2011, 02:14:01 PM »
Ah so that was you,  raisetheknife! Awesome

Trying to place you Jay, did we talk?

Offline MasterShakezula

• Owes H $10
« Reply #51 on: December 04, 2011, 03:46:24 PM »
I felt the San Diego crowd was more receptive and enchanted by Andy McKee, some hecklers in Anaheim.  James introduced the band as "Dinner Theater" and mistakenly said that the last time they played here was in 1993.  Of course I could hear the DTFers in the crowd correcting him with a yell of 2006! 

The blown tweeter was a terrible nuisance, and very noticable in the outer orchestra area. 

I was trapped in a sea of humanity in what appeared to be a very OVERSOLD GA section.  Started out in the middle GA section, but was dwarfed by tall dudes and some guy trying to appease his upset girlfriend who was uncomfortable being packed in tight with the guys.   I eventually found a nice roomier spot in stage left near JP.

Tons of unchecked cell phone vids (which were well monitored in San Diego), so those might be popping up soon.

Highlight of show #30 was meeting Charlie Dominici in the lobby before the show.  I asked him what his favorite track was on WDADU and he speedily replied The Killing Hand, although he clarified it was his least favorite to sing.  He then proceeded to sing the 1st verse.  We talked about the origin behind Light Fuse and Get Away, when he invited DT to his bombastic fireworks 4th of July party back in the 80's.  Impressivly enough, Charlie then spontaneously sang the chorus and tricky second verse verbatim.  A little private show for me and 2 other gracious fans (and a ton of DT fans walking by him none the wiser - HA!!).  Lastly, we discussed his 04 performance at Pantages, and he joked that he had no idea what to expect when he took the stage, suspecting that he might get pummeled by tomatoes!  A young fan suggested that if DT played a classic tune tonight, he should rush the stage and steal the mic.  Charlie animatedly joked about the idea.  A good sport and a gentleman.

Sound issues aside, it was a memorable evening.

I was that young fan.  ^^

Offline JayOctavarium

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #52 on: December 04, 2011, 06:21:34 PM »
I was the dude with the leather jacket who was with Shake and the larger Guy with the long hair and beard

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline Schleppy

« Reply #53 on: December 05, 2011, 02:30:10 PM »
Can I just say that Helicopter James was one of my favorite things I've ever seen in a concert?

Offline JayOctavarium

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #54 on: December 05, 2011, 03:44:51 PM »
Can I just say that Helicopter James was one of my favorite things I've ever seen in a concert?

YES

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline Lark the Starless

• Engrish.
« Reply #55 on: December 06, 2011, 11:16:47 AM »

YES

:lol
Made my night.

Offline TheAtliator

• Sixdegrematichaos onachristmasmorning
« Reply #56 on: September 09, 2013, 10:20:43 PM »

YES

:lol
Made my night.

Mine too! He only did that on a few nights of the tour right? (Just finding this thread  ;))

Next time they play out here, I gotta meet you all now that I'm part of DTF! Oh and it would be great to run into CD and ask him to sing something!! I walked by him at the July 2012 show but I didn't stop. Totally should have, would have been the first DT member I've met.

Also, I constantly tease my friend that I saw These Walls, Endless Sacrifice, Outcry, Caught in a Web, and Fatal Tragedy all in the same show and he didn't  :lol he wants to see those songs so badly. I'm SO happy I got to see them, this set was amazing.

Offline JayOctavarium

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #57 on: September 09, 2013, 10:31:27 PM »
Nice bump

oh that was still a great night. What venue was CD hanging out in in 2012?

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline TheAtliator

« Reply #58 on: September 09, 2013, 11:12:25 PM »
Same one. I noticed him talking to a couple fans after the show. I told my friend "whoa dude I think that's Charlie Dominici!!" and we both just kinda looked at him for a sec because a member of Dream Theater was standing within 10 feet of us but didn't actually talk to him haha

of course come to think of it, all five current members were equally as close or even closer during the show..  :lol

Offline JayOctavarium

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #59 on: September 09, 2013, 11:23:21 PM »
From the second time they came around? Shit I didn't see him!

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline TheAtliator

« Reply #60 on: September 10, 2013, 12:16:01 AM »
They only played at the Grove once in July 2012! haha :)

Offline JayOctavarium

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #61 on: September 10, 2013, 10:42:25 AM »
I mean once in 2011 and once in 2012

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

• EB
« Reply #62 on: September 11, 2013, 12:08:45 AM »
I went to both shows. Herman Li from Dragonforce was at the one in July. He was walking next to me toward the lobby area, and I looked at him and said "Looks like it's time for you to quit the guitar now, huh?" and he laughed and nodded. xD