Author Topic: Spotify vs. Google Play vs. Whatever other apps there are  (Read 464 times)

Offline Sigz

• BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD
  • DTF.org Member
  • THRONES FOR THE THRONE SKULL
Spotify vs. Google Play vs. Whatever other apps there are
« on: August 06, 2013, 11:10:32 AM »
So I just got an android phone, and have been looking at how I want to handle music on it. Thus far I've been using Spotify Unlimited on my PC and considered just upgrading to premium so I can use it on my phone, but for the same price Google Play seems to have nicer functionality as far as integrating your own music goes.

What do you folks use? Thoughts?
The world is a stage, but the play is badly cast.

Offline antigoon

• Not Elvis
  • DT.net Veteran
  • This was a triumph.
Re: Spotify vs. Google Play vs. Whatever other apps there are
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2013, 11:16:58 AM »
I have and love Spotify Premium. The only caveat is that it can get a bit unwieldy if you have a TON of music because you can only have playlists on mobile. But I just made each playlist an album and it works fine for me.

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2013, 11:25:20 AM »
I gave up my $7.99 "early subscriber" with Google+ to go back to Spotify Free. After I wound up not being able to listen to 1.) Sigur Ros 2.) Boards of Canada and 3.) Scale the Summit on release week (since G+ apparently didn't have them) and thus spending roughly $37.99 on music that month, I decided that paid subscriptions weren't for me.

IMO, though, Spotify is better on the desktop than Google+, just for little reasons. Last I checked, Google+ did not integrate with my keyboard volume and track controls. Spotify does. Just little things like that made me decide I'd go Spotify if I ever wanted to subscribe to something again.

Offline me7

• Disciple of the Cockroach
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2013, 11:26:38 AM »
I haven't used either service extensively, but I found that Spotify has a lot of the lesser-known prog metal bands that I love, while Google Play Music doesn't.
The Spotify mobile app is a joke however.

Offline Dark Castle

• DTF.org Member
  • SmegmaPrincessX
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2013, 11:29:57 AM »
I see it like a Google vs. Bing deal.

Spotify being the Google like entity here, Bing is nice and all, but Google's already been here for so long, there's no real point to Bing.