Author Topic: PRE-ORDER DREAM THEATER (2013) NOW!  (Read 37035 times)

Offline Lark the Starless

• Engrish.
Re: PRE-ORDER DREAM THEATER (2013) NOW!
« Reply #70 on: August 06, 2013, 02:33:16 PM »
This may also seem like another noobish question.

So from what I understood, the Deluxe edition only includes the album on one CD and the 5.1 mix on the other disc?

If so, I'm kind of bummed as I was hopefully expecting some sort of "behind the studios/making of" documentary of the album or something along those lines.

If it's just the 5.1 mix on the second disc, I'll probably just stick with the standard jewel case CD.

Offline Laich21DT

• I AM ERROR.
« Reply #71 on: August 06, 2013, 02:37:16 PM »
I'm going to pre-order either the Standard or the Deluxe version. I'm leaning towards Standard though, seeing as there's likely no documentary included.

Continuing the trend with noob-ish questions: If the 5.1 mix is far superior to the standard album, what is the point in having the non-5.1 mix one?
I've got a plan, it involves pulling up our bootstraps, oiling up a couple of asses, and doing a little plowing of our own...... not gay sex. -Mac, It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #72 on: August 06, 2013, 02:43:29 PM »

So from what I understood, the Deluxe edition only includes the album on one CD and the 5.1 mix on the other disc?

If so, I'm kind of bummed as I was hopefully expecting some sort of "behind the studios/making of" documentary of the album or something along those lines.

If it's just the 5.1 mix on the second disc, I'll probably just stick with the standard jewel case CD.

I personally want more details on the 5.1. Who's doing it? The same guy as on the normal mix? The SC 5.1 mix was not good.

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #73 on: August 06, 2013, 02:58:09 PM »

I personally want more details on the 5.1. Who's doing it? The same guy as on the normal mix? The SC 5.1 mix was not good.

I am also interested in this.  Also would like to know if the DVD is DVD-A or will it be lossy Dolby Digital.
Winger would be better!

. . . and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

Offline TheGreatPretender

• The Second Dancing Turtle
  • You are reading these words.
« Reply #74 on: August 06, 2013, 03:00:50 PM »
Does anyone else think that the USB design is cumbersome as hell? Looking at it, that thing wouldn't fit half my USB ports.
"How's that for a slice of fried gold?"

Offline jammindude

« Reply #75 on: August 06, 2013, 03:01:21 PM »
The deluxe edition has a 30 minute drum audition documentary.    It may not be a "DT in the studio" doc...but it's not nothing.

I ordered the deluxe edition.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #76 on: August 06, 2013, 03:03:26 PM »

I am also interested in this.  Also would like to know if the DVD is DVD-A or will it be lossy Dolby Digital.

I'll be damned if I can find it now but I swear Richard Chycki posted on Facebook or Twitter that he was working on the 5.1 mix. I'm unable to verify it so take this comment with a huge grain of salt.
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline TL

« Reply #77 on: August 06, 2013, 03:08:39 PM »
The deluxe edition has a 30 minute drum audition documentary.    It may not be a "DT in the studio" doc...but it's not nothing.

I ordered the deluxe edition.
The 'Deluxe' edition (CD/DVD) is the album and a 5.1 mix.

The box set seems to have the drum audition jam, and also a 30 minute documentary.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #78 on: August 06, 2013, 03:13:14 PM »
Ok...well...I guess I got the UBERdeluxe edition.   :angel:

And it also came with a free instant download of the new single. 

It's on my computer right now.

My resolve to not listen to it is weakening every second.   :'(

Offline snapple

• Dad-bod Expert
« Reply #79 on: August 06, 2013, 03:27:12 PM »
I pre-ordered the vinyl. I realized I can just burn a copy from the digital version if I want something in the car  :lol

Offline dparrott

« Reply #80 on: August 06, 2013, 03:31:38 PM »
I think the main thing drawing me to set at the moment is the vinyl copy of The Bigger Picture. I mean, it's entirely just a novelty, but it is kind of neat.

I love clear/colored vinyl, but the exact same song is on the full vinyl LP.  An exclusive version on the vinyl would be  :o  and would be worth so much more.
"I don't know nuttin about nuttin" - Marshawn Lynch

The very soul of what was once real music is now lost in a digital quagmire of emotionless sonic madness.

« Reply #81 on: August 06, 2013, 03:32:25 PM »
You know, this album, it really feels like RoadRunner took all my ideas.
I used to say all the time that all Vinyls should come with digital copies, so that people could get that music on their portable music players. Boom.

Then a couple of days ago, I said, "they should give you an immediate digital download of the single with the pre-order" and look at what they did with the box set!

Now, if this becomes a trend, and the music industry will start employing these kinds of practices into all their releases, then I'd say we're progressing.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #82 on: August 06, 2013, 03:34:11 PM »
I'm confused.... That professional looking film crew was hired for three 2 minute videos?  I was expecting a "making of" documentary  ???

I'm not sure. The email I got from being on Dream Theater's mailing list showed the contents of the USB as:

• Custom 2GB Majesty Symbol USB Stick containing:
- Isolated stems of "Behind The Veil"
- "Take This For The Pain" (Mike Mangini Audition Improv Jam)
- 30 minute documentary.

...while Roadrunner lists it as:

Custom 2GB Majesty Symbol USB Stick containing:
• Isolated stems of "Behind The Veil"
• "Take This For The Pain (Mike Mangini Audition Improv Jam)" - 30 minute documentary.

If the Dream Theater listing is accurate, we are getting a 30 minute documentary (but exclusive to the $100 Limited Edition Box Set), but if Roadrunner is accurate, we are getting a 30 minute documentary on Mike Mangini and his audition again.

I'm leaning towards a real 30 minute documentary, as the Mike Mangini thing just doesn't make sense.

We can wait to see if Bosk gets clarification, but it makes much more sense the DT way. An improve jam is not a documentary, it's letting the camera roll. Hopefully it's two different things, and hopefully they are both on YouTube (officially/post release) :)
Yeah this is a great spot, nice one Shadow. I think that definitely makes more sense than the way it's been presented on the RR pre-order site, and I had been wondering how you make a half hour documentary out of an improv jam.

Assuming that the 30 minute documentary is an in-studio thing, then that's pretty cool, but it's still lame that it (and the improv jam) are only on the massive box set.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline onnet5

« Reply #83 on: August 06, 2013, 04:19:53 PM »
Could it be that Behind The Veil is the instrumental of the album then considering it has the isolated stems on offer?

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #84 on: August 06, 2013, 04:36:03 PM »
Hmm. Well, I guess I'm going for the standard. I prefer jewel cases to digipacks anyway.
Amen. I personally have no need for the album in 5.1 - don't have a sound system for it anyway and I've never listened to the 5.1 mixes of SC or any other album in my collection that included a 5.1 mix. Add to that I HATE all these stupid digipacks - gimme a good old jewel case and I'm a happy camper. I even purchased copies of the regular and deluxe ADToE just so I could have the jewel case version, kept the DVD and gave away the deluxe digipack (without the DVD to a friend). Actually, now that I think about it, I did the same thing with BCaSL too. Can't understand the appeal of digipacks...

They put "The Bigger Picture" on the clear 7" vinyl instead of the more obvious "The Looking Glass"!!!   ???
The Looking Glass would have make sense being the vinyl clear enough to look through it. Nice catch  :justjen
Maybe it'll be the B-side!   :P

I love clear/colored vinyl, but the exact same song is on the full vinyl LP.  An exclusive version on the vinyl would be  :o  and would be worth so much more.
True, altho then it would be irritating for those of us who would want the same thing on CD. Maybe if it was a radio edit of it or something. But if it was any more different than that, I'd be disappointed.

Assuming that the 30 minute documentary is an in-studio thing, then that's pretty cool, but it's still lame that it (and the improv jam) are only on the massive box set.
I get why they're doing it - they want there to be enough exclusive items in the box set to really appeal to the fans and get them to spend the money on the box set. Even just for them to put those items on a separate DVD would make more sense than on that silly USB stick - that way it's more permanent and a lot less clumsy. Ah well - I won't be spending the money on it, just as I didn't bother with the ADToE box set.
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #85 on: August 06, 2013, 04:39:29 PM »
Oh I totally get why there's all that additional additional stuff for the big box set, totally makes sense. Just it seems that there are so many things in that box set, whereas there's almost nothing extra in the special CD/DVD version, I just feel like some of those extra things like one or two of the videos could have been included on the DVD to make it more enticing.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline dparrott

« Reply #86 on: August 06, 2013, 04:40:58 PM »
Looking forward to some BTV remixes.

The very soul of what was once real music is now lost in a digital quagmire of emotionless sonic madness.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #87 on: August 06, 2013, 05:03:55 PM »
As of right now, standard version for me.  I don't have a 5.1 set up or a record player, so although I want the contents of that USB stick, I don't want them enough to pay that kind of money for stuff I can't use.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline robwebster

« Reply #88 on: August 06, 2013, 05:17:59 PM »
Not paying £70.00 for one hour and thirty minutes of original entertainment, don't have a vinyl player, 5.1's a kerfuffle, and if it's a choice between a jewel case and a couple more pictures that Hugh Syme's done, I choose the jewel case.

Bring on the standard edition!

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #89 on: August 06, 2013, 05:19:25 PM »
Not paying £70.00 for one hour and thirty minutes of original entertainment, don't have a vinyl player, 5.1's a kerfuffle, and if it's a choice between a jewel case and a couple more pictures that Hugh Syme's done, I choose the jewel case.

Bring on the standard edition!

Me too. I am happy that bands can provide these extra editions, assuming fans will buy them. But 9 times out of 10 I'm happy with just the album, and the extra money to buy more albums.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline Tis BOOLsheet

• Banned
« Reply #90 on: August 06, 2013, 05:24:23 PM »
Went with the deluxe version. I have no use for the Vinyl at all....the money I spend on this band lol. It's all good; I'll just work an extra couple hours  :lol

Offline PROGdrummer

« Reply #91 on: August 06, 2013, 05:31:26 PM »
My immense hatred for digipak cases has led me to just wait to pick up a jewel case at my local FYE.

Although sometimes FYE doesnt put the jewel cases on the shelves for several weeks, and I plan on buying this day one. ugh
Digipaks are so awful

Offline jammindude

« Reply #92 on: August 06, 2013, 05:35:22 PM »
My immense hatred for digipak cases has led me to just wait to pick up a jewel case at my local FYE.

Although sometimes FYE doesnt put the jewel cases on the shelves for several weeks, and I plan on buying this day one. ugh
Digipaks are so awful

I understand both the love and the hate for digipacks.

Personally, I think digipacks are MUCH more pleasing to the eye.   But I HATE that they wear out almost instantaneously.   (which is why I end up ripping it to a CDR and then leaving it in its case)

It's because of this that my LSFNY (with the original cover) is still in *MINT* condition.

Offline FlyingBIZKIT

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #93 on: August 06, 2013, 06:50:14 PM »

PROGdrummer's signature is fun to watch when listening to TEI

Offline Mebert78

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #94 on: August 06, 2013, 06:52:24 PM »
Does anyone think they will offer a bundle version with a t-shirt like James LaBrie and Queensryche did with their albums, or are these like the only packages that will be offered?
An unofficial online community for fans of keyboardist Kevin Moore (ex-Dream Theater, Chroma Key, OSI):

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #95 on: August 06, 2013, 06:53:33 PM »
Okay, here's the deal (which is pretty much what I thought), straight from official sources:

1.  The deluxe edition DVD is only a 5.1 mix of the album.  So the deluxe consists of a regular mix of the album and a 5.1 mix of the album.

2.  The memory stick in the special edition contains two items:  The stems and the 30-minute "documentary."  The documentary is not separate from the Mangini jam.  The Mangini jam is about 20 minutes of the documentary.

Hopefully, that explanation helps you make an informed decision about which version you will be buying.  Please do not clog up the thread with complaints about "why did they have to do it that way?  Why couldn't they have done X instead?" 
« Last Edit: August 06, 2013, 07:00:04 PM by bosk1 »
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline FlyingBIZKIT

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #96 on: August 06, 2013, 06:58:40 PM »
Looks like I'll be buying the deluxe. Hell, maybe even the standard.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #97 on: August 06, 2013, 07:00:14 PM »

Hopefully, that explanation helps you make an informed decision about which version you will be buying.  Please do not clog up the thread with complaints about "why did they have to do it that way?  Why couldn't they have done X instead?"

I'm not bothered about X.

I just wanna know Y.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #98 on: August 06, 2013, 07:03:35 PM »
I don't have a system so the 5.1 doesn't matter to me. Kinda sucks, they should've included the documentary with the CD, not just the box set. Lame.

This.  I find this rather disappointing.  I don't have a 5.1 system, so I;m not paying that much for the box set that will just sit on the shelf and never get looked at again like the BC&SL one did, so I guess it's the standard cd for me.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline theseoafs

• When the lights go down in the city, and the sun shines on the bayyyyy
  • Hello! My name is Elder Price
« Reply #99 on: August 06, 2013, 07:05:26 PM »
Yep, that seals the deal.  Standard it is.  I think I'll go ahead and pre-order tonight.

Offline Cable

« Reply #100 on: August 06, 2013, 07:35:00 PM »
Does Digital album means I'm able to download the album on release day on top of having a physical copy?
---

« Reply #101 on: August 06, 2013, 07:36:45 PM »
Does Digital album means I'm able to download the album on release day on top of having a physical copy?

Yes.

RR lists the "release date" of the Digital Album as the 24th of September, at 00:00:00, meaning it'll be available right at midnight.

Offline dparrott

« Reply #102 on: August 06, 2013, 08:24:23 PM »
I'll get the standard edition and buy Turin Brakes' colored vinyl LP that comes out a week later instead.

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #103 on: August 06, 2013, 08:28:49 PM »
I never understood the reason for pre-ordering a copy on itunes.

Offline Dark Castle

• DTF.org Member
  • SmegmaPrincessX
« Reply #104 on: August 06, 2013, 08:30:15 PM »
I never understood the reason for pre-ordering a copy on itunes.
I tried once and it never even worked, it made me buy the album again. I was really pissed, and too tired and had to be off to work to call Apple about it.