Author Topic: PRE-ORDER DREAM THEATER (2013) NOW!  (Read 37257 times)

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
Re: PRE-ORDER DREAM THEATER (2013) NOW!
« Reply #35 on: August 06, 2013, 11:02:29 AM »
At $19.99, I think I'll hold off on pre-ordering.

The thread title says, "PRE-ORDER DREAM THEATER (2013) NOW!"  :glare:

As opposed to the previous thread, which was titled "PRE-ORDER DREAM THEATER (2013) SOON!"  :soon:
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #36 on: August 06, 2013, 11:07:19 AM »
I don't have a system so the 5.1 doesn't matter to me. Kinda sucks, they should've included the documentary with the CD, not just the box set. Lame.

Offline dparrott

« Reply #37 on: August 06, 2013, 11:25:34 AM »
They put "The Bigger Picture" on the clear 7" vinyl instead of the more obvious "The Looking Glass"!!!   ???
"I don't know nuttin about nuttin" - Marshawn Lynch

The very soul of what was once real music is now lost in a digital quagmire of emotionless sonic madness.

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Jay Beckenstein was in Spyro Gyra, right?
« Reply #38 on: August 06, 2013, 11:28:42 AM »
They put "The Bigger Picture" on the clear 7" vinyl instead of the more obvious "The Looking Glass"!!!   ???

The Looking Glass would have make sense being the vinyl clear enough to look through it. Nice catch  :justjen
:slayer: Somewhere, over the wasteland..... bootlegs fly :slayer:
MoraWintersoul is the BEST person.
- Marco

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #39 on: August 06, 2013, 11:30:09 AM »
At $19.99, I think I'll hold off on pre-ordering.

The thread title says, "PRE-ORDER DREAM THEATER (2013) NOW!"  :glare:
Well, does pre-ordering the album help the band more than, say, just going to Best Buy on lunch that day? I'd preorder the record if there were some special, pre-order exclusive incentive (like my Systematic Chaos signed Lithograph, or some kind of discount), or if I knew pre-order money would go straight to the band and their management without retail taking a cut, but for now, I've given up on forking over money for things early, for no real reason at all other than to help get myself more giddy over upcoming releases. I don't really have the money to act that way for now, and Mrs. PC kills me for it anyway :P

Offline Dark Castle

• DTF.org Member
  • SmegmaPrincessX
« Reply #40 on: August 06, 2013, 11:30:35 AM »
As soon as I get my last paycheck from the zoo, I'm preordering the Vinyl edition. Maybe the CD as well.

Offline JPX

« Reply #41 on: August 06, 2013, 11:31:51 AM »
I'm sure Best Buy will have the regular version for $10 on release day, so I'll just go with that. All the extra stuff is of no use to me.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #42 on: August 06, 2013, 11:33:11 AM »
Pre-ordered the box set, as I was going to any. The USB is a NICE touch, and I love all the extras included! And the price is cheaper than the last two, so they've really outdone themselves this time! More stuff for less money! YEAH!

Also, so glad I have PayPal's Bill Me Later service! No interests or fees if paid back within 6 months! Woohoo! It's a great day! :tup

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #43 on: August 06, 2013, 11:36:14 AM »
I've noticed an issue with the USB...

While the concept of it is undeniably AMAZING, the design of it makes it practically useless for any purpose other than a one time use. That is of course unless it comes out of the Majesty shell. As pictured though it won't be much good.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #44 on: August 06, 2013, 11:41:06 AM »

While the concept of it is undeniably AMAZING, the design of it makes it practically useless for any purpose other than a one time use. That is of course unless it comes out of the Majesty shell. As pictured though it won't be much good.

What?  ???
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Ħ

« Reply #45 on: August 06, 2013, 11:41:56 AM »
I'll just get the deluxe at the store when it comes out.
"All great works are prepared in the desert, including the redemption of the world. The precursors, the followers, the Master Himself, all obeyed or have to obey one and the same law. Prophets, apostles, preachers, martyrs, pioneers of knowledge, inspired artists in every art, ordinary men and the Man-God, all pay tribute to loneliness, to the life of silence, to the night." - A. G. Sertillanges

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #46 on: August 06, 2013, 11:43:44 AM »

I noticed it does look very impractical. It does look very cool, but I doubt it would even fit in rear USB ports on a PC.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline Full Speed

« Reply #47 on: August 06, 2013, 11:48:18 AM »
The box set version doesn't have anything special that makes me want it. I'll just pickup the CD/DVD with 5.1 mix on release day.

The only thing in that box set that might attract me is those FLAC versions, but HDtracks will most likely have it not long after release for much cheaper anyway.

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #48 on: August 06, 2013, 11:55:27 AM »
Add me to the list of people that aren't thrilled with these options. 

Kinda struggling to decide if i should get the deluxe since I have it for both BC&SL and ADTOE or if i should just go standard since the ONLY thing I'm even remotely interested in is MM's audition footage. 

Offline Shadow2222

« Reply #49 on: August 06, 2013, 12:03:30 PM »
Have any other DT albums been released with 5.1 mixes?

EDIT: Oh wow, I see Systematic Chaos was released in 5.1 on the bonus DVD. I have that edition and never noticed it had a 5.1 mix on it  :lolpalm:
"A pitch black night unfolds with the morning star as its only light... and thus the saga... begins" - Shenhua (Shenmue series)

Offline Thematt202

« Reply #50 on: August 06, 2013, 12:04:10 PM »
I'm confused.... That professional looking film crew was hired for three 2 minute videos?  I was expecting a "making of" documentary  ???
Shaman take my haaaaand!

Offline dream416

• Carpe Diem
« Reply #51 on: August 06, 2013, 12:10:43 PM »
Ordered the box set, I'm a sucker for those things. £69.99 looked like a sweet deal until tax and shipping was thrown on top :-\ But hey, they threw in a high quality MP3 of The Enemy Inside as part of the order which is cool. I no longer have to listen to the compressed stream. This song certainly grabbed my attention more than On the Backs of Angels did. I look forward to the albums release and the UK shows in February.  :metal

Did you receive a download link for the single yet?

Offline Shadow2222

« Reply #52 on: August 06, 2013, 12:11:37 PM »
I'm confused.... That professional looking film crew was hired for three 2 minute videos?  I was expecting a "making of" documentary  ???

I'm not sure. The email I got from being on Dream Theater's mailing list showed the contents of the USB as:

• Custom 2GB Majesty Symbol USB Stick containing:
- Isolated stems of "Behind The Veil"
- "Take This For The Pain" (Mike Mangini Audition Improv Jam)
- 30 minute documentary.

...while Roadrunner lists it as:

Custom 2GB Majesty Symbol USB Stick containing:
• Isolated stems of "Behind The Veil"
• "Take This For The Pain (Mike Mangini Audition Improv Jam)" - 30 minute documentary.

If the Dream Theater listing is accurate, we are getting a 30 minute documentary (but exclusive to the $100 Limited Edition Box Set), but if Roadrunner is accurate, we are getting a 30 minute documentary on Mike Mangini and his audition again.

I'm leaning towards a real 30 minute documentary, as the Mike Mangini thing just doesn't make sense.
"A pitch black night unfolds with the morning star as its only light... and thus the saga... begins" - Shenhua (Shenmue series)

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #53 on: August 06, 2013, 12:13:57 PM »

I noticed it does look very impractical. It does look very cool, but I doubt it would even fit in rear USB ports on a PC.

Not to mention that 2GB is really small these days.
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #54 on: August 06, 2013, 12:16:50 PM »
I'd love another candid, amatuerishly shot "home video" style documentary like what we got for Systematic Chaos, which was by far my favorite part of that record. But that would probably be way longer than 30 minuets, so I'm not sure what we're getting.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #55 on: August 06, 2013, 12:18:07 PM »

No kidding, right? I can't believe I would have to spend $100 to get the documentary. So bummed it's not part of the Deluxe Package. Oh well. Looks like the standard single CD for me.

I'd love another candid, amatuerishly shot "home video" style documentary like what we got for Systematic Chaos, which was by far my favorite part of that record. But that would probably be way longer than 30 minuets, so I'm not sure what we're getting.
The SC documentary is amazing.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Jinx

• The Unicyclist's #1 fan!
  • Shaaaamaan take my haaaannd!!
« Reply #56 on: August 06, 2013, 12:22:29 PM »
In my opinion I'm not holding out too much hope for LALP  now. OTE can't have their shit together if they recorded for a couple of days and only came back with 6 mins of footage. I was thinking they were doing a proper docu in the studio. They just seems really amateurish tbh

Offline Shadow2222

« Reply #57 on: August 06, 2013, 12:24:35 PM »
In my opinion I'm not holding out too much hope for LALP  now. OTE can't have their shit together if they recorded for a couple of days and only came back with 6 mins of footage. I was thinking they were doing a proper docu in the studio. They just seems really amateurish tbh

Read my post. They likely produced a 30 minute documentary.

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #58 on: August 06, 2013, 12:24:53 PM »
OTE are "done" LALP. There are / were sound issues; the band are obviously going to get the new studio album out first now and concetrate on marketting the concert afterwards.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #59 on: August 06, 2013, 12:34:20 PM »
I'm trying to get some clarification on exactly what is included in each edition.  If I get anything, I will post it.  This is the problem with multiple editions of an album that include extras.  The descriptions usually tend to be a bit vague and difficult to understand exactly what is included with which.  I think this is relatively straightforward, but hopefully I can get some clarification on a few of the issues you guys have brought up.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline iamtheeviltwin

« Reply #60 on: August 06, 2013, 12:42:43 PM »
Pre-ordered my copy.

Just a note: the downloaded version of "The Enemy Inside" is a much better quality than the stream.  James' vocals are much clearer.  The overall mix is great.

Offline JPX

« Reply #61 on: August 06, 2013, 12:56:15 PM »

I'm not sure. The email I got from being on Dream Theater's mailing list showed the contents of the USB as:

• Custom 2GB Majesty Symbol USB Stick containing:
- Isolated stems of "Behind The Veil"
- "Take This For The Pain" (Mike Mangini Audition Improv Jam)
- 30 minute documentary.

...while Roadrunner lists it as:

Custom 2GB Majesty Symbol USB Stick containing:
• Isolated stems of "Behind The Veil"
• "Take This For The Pain (Mike Mangini Audition Improv Jam)" - 30 minute documentary.

If the Dream Theater listing is accurate, we are getting a 30 minute documentary (but exclusive to the $100 Limited Edition Box Set), but if Roadrunner is accurate, we are getting a 30 minute documentary on Mike Mangini and his audition again.

I'm leaning towards a real 30 minute documentary, as the Mike Mangini thing just doesn't make sense.

We can wait to see if Bosk gets clarification, but it makes much more sense the DT way. An improve jam is not a documentary, it's letting the camera roll. Hopefully it's two different things, and hopefully they are both on YouTube (officially/post release) :)

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #62 on: August 06, 2013, 01:16:10 PM »

What?  ???

Look at the USB in the box set picture. Using it as pictured in the front of a PC or side of a laptop would basically render all the other ports useless at that time as they would be covered by the majesty symbol.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline TL

« Reply #63 on: August 06, 2013, 01:21:34 PM »
I think the main thing drawing me to set at the moment is the vinyl copy of The Bigger Picture. I mean, it's entirely just a novelty, but it is kind of neat.

If you subtract the $50 for the vinyl and CD/DVD though, I'm not sure the TBP vinyl, documentary, and improv jam warrant another $50.

Maybe the iStickers are really expensive.  :P
« Last Edit: August 06, 2013, 02:12:16 PM by TL »

Offline climberboy

« Reply #64 on: August 06, 2013, 01:51:26 PM »
This may be a somewhat noobish question but what does the 5.1 mix actually add that the original CD doesn't have?

Offline Mindflux

• DT.net Veteran
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #65 on: August 06, 2013, 02:02:37 PM »
This may be a somewhat noobish question but what does the 5.1 mix actually add that the original CD doesn't have?

A 5.1 mix?
 :rollin

Offline Shadow2222

« Reply #66 on: August 06, 2013, 02:06:00 PM »

Are you familiar with surround sound? It means instead of being a stereo mix (i.e. a 2.0 mix), it makes it so that a 5.1 setup (5 speakers and 1 subwoofer, aka a surround sound system) can play it with different audio for each speaker, making for a much fuller sound.

Offline TheGreatPretender

• The Second Dancing Turtle
  • You are reading these words.
« Reply #67 on: August 06, 2013, 02:09:10 PM »

A 5.1 mix?
 :rollin

Which actually makes a pretty huge difference, if you listen to the 5.1 mix of Systematic Chaos.

Also, I just can't help but keep going on that pre-order page, and reading over all the stuff that comes with the Deluxe Edition, just going, "That will all be mine. Soon."
"How's that for a slice of fried gold?"

Offline climberboy

« Reply #68 on: August 06, 2013, 02:17:01 PM »
ahh yea right that makes sense, was being a daft t**t

Offline Rkeister

« Reply #69 on: August 06, 2013, 02:18:34 PM »
spent my lunch date this afternoon preordering my box set from my phone.