Author Topic: Stream of Consciousness Appreciation Thread  (Read 5735 times)

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
Re: Stream of Consciousness Appreciation Thread
« Reply #35 on: July 11, 2013, 06:31:21 PM »
The drummer of my band haaaated it because it had so many 4/4 measures in it.
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline sueño

• How Dare I Be So Beautiful?
« Reply #36 on: July 11, 2013, 06:51:47 PM »
Couldn't he play simple 4/4 ??   ???  ;)   

what are they teaching drummers these days....    :loser:

j/k  :D
"We spend most of our lives convinced we’re the protagonist of the story, but we rarely realize that we’re just supporting characters in everybody else’s story. Nobody thinks about you as much as you do."

Offline Cable

« Reply #37 on: July 11, 2013, 07:29:32 PM »
The song works very well as an actual song to me, and it's structured as a song with lyrics almost to me. And I will take it over Erotomania any day; to me, that is boring and more repetitive.

First full DT song I learned on bass as well.
---

Offline sueño

• How Dare I Be So Beautiful?
« Reply #38 on: July 11, 2013, 08:05:20 PM »
Listened to it twice on the way home...LOVE!   :hefdaddy

I always appreciate good 4\4 beats.  Gives you great spots to settle into a 'groove', snap yo' fingahs...   :hat  I'm coming from a more R&B background, though.   :millahhhh
"We spend most of our lives convinced we’re the protagonist of the story, but we rarely realize that we’re just supporting characters in everybody else’s story. Nobody thinks about you as much as you do."

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #39 on: July 11, 2013, 09:11:37 PM »
*note to self:  play this during the commute home...

I did the same thing.  It was good.

Offline Sketchy

• DTF.org Member
  • More tea is required.
« Reply #40 on: July 12, 2013, 12:07:39 AM »
This instrumental always gets a minor volume boost when it comes on. It's too damn good, and probably one of my favourite instrumentals (not DT instrumentals only, all instrumentals), and definitely my favourite DT one.
This is as exciting as superluminal neutrinos. The sexy thing is that this actually exists :D

Offline Another_Won

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Attest to the mighty river.Let the truth be heard!
« Reply #41 on: July 12, 2013, 05:20:57 AM »
This is one of my favorite DT songs.  If I actually sat down and did a top 50 it might not rank that high because the other songs are that much better.  I enjoy it every time I listen to it.  A few years back I used to watch the Budokan version over and over and it never got old.  Just a great song :tup

Offline tuto

« Reply #42 on: August 04, 2013, 12:48:20 PM »
Definitely my favorite DT instrumental. To see this one live would be a dream come true

Offline Tis BOOLsheet

• Banned
« Reply #43 on: August 04, 2013, 02:05:42 PM »
The drumming is outstanding.  In parts of SOC the guitar riffs are more simplistic giving the drums room to shine.  I miss MP (MP the drummer, not MP the personality!).

I want to hear MM play SOC..perhaps this upcoming tour (as being discussed in the new album thread). I have a feeling he'd blow us all away.

Honestly, MM could play any prior DT song including SOC blindfolded, drunk, high, and half asleep with astounding and absolute precision, accuracy and musicianship.

Offline eviljust

• I'm just a Dreamer...
  • HIC MANEMIBUS OPTIME
« Reply #44 on: August 04, 2013, 02:09:25 PM »

Honestly, MM could play any prior DT song including SOC blindfolded, drunk, high, and half asleep with astounding and absolute precision, accuracy and musicianship.

LOL that is fun and absolutely true. Can't wait to see him again behind the kit  :hefdaddy
This story ends where it began.

me on lastfm

Offline wolven74

• DTF.org Alumni
  • My body is not well
« Reply #45 on: August 04, 2013, 02:10:51 PM »
So, I just posted this in the Enemy Inside thread... when I finished typing and posting, I saw this thread, so I'll copy it here. :tup

SoC ranks near the bottom of my list of favorite DT instrumentals. When I first heard it there didn't seem to be any changes in it. The theme just kept repeating itself. Upon further spins I realized that there were changes in the song, but the theme still seemed a little too bland for me.

On the other hand, Erotomania and TDoE have come to define Progressive Instrumental Masterpiece in my musical dictionary.

Falling somewhere in the middle are Overture 1928 and Hell's Kitchen.

EDIT: To be clear, I dig the tune, but it's not in my top 3.

Everything is immaterial. Do you know that reality is immaterial? This is not reality.
In what friggin' universe is a 68 minute long album "short"?

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #46 on: August 04, 2013, 02:13:33 PM »
The drumming is outstanding.  In parts of SOC the guitar riffs are more simplistic giving the drums room to shine.  I miss MP (MP the drummer, not MP the personality!).

I want to hear MM play SOC..perhaps this upcoming tour (as being discussed in the new album thread). I have a feeling he'd blow us all away.

And while eating a pepper and sucking on a pipe cigar
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline jonnybaxy

• Step after step We try controlling our fate When we finally start living it's become too late
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #47 on: August 04, 2013, 04:00:31 PM »
I don't think you'll hear this well as my voice will be muffled because my head is so far up this songs anus.

Offline Jaffa

• Just Jaffa
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #48 on: August 04, 2013, 04:20:54 PM »
I don't think you'll hear this well as my voice will be muffled because my head is so far up this songs anus.

:lol
Sincerely,
Jaffa

Offline The Boomr

• The Boomr
« Reply #49 on: August 05, 2013, 01:19:00 PM »
I go back and forth between SOC and TDOE as my favorite DT instrumental. I love them both for completely different reasons. TDOE is balls-out ridiculous and insane the whole way through, and after years I still don't have all the time changes down by memory. I love that. SOC is extremely cerebral, for me, as someone else put it, and the joy of that song is more about tracking the story it tells. People are right, it absolutely showcases more melodic songwriting abilities, and the guitar lines feel like a vocal melody in themselves. I'm going to refrain from typing out my big cerebral/theoretical analysis of this song and how it speaks to me, FOR NOW, cause I'm at work and it would take forever :P It will come, though, for I love this song!!
James LaBrie: It's Always an octave higher.

Offline puppyonacid

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #50 on: August 06, 2013, 05:20:13 AM »
I think SOC is great. The Spanishy bull fighter vibe!

I think it's probably about 2 minutes too long though.
This post was brought to you by Puppyonacid and subsequently ignored.

DTF's resident thread killer

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #51 on: August 06, 2013, 06:38:57 AM »
The section that goes from 3:04 - 3:35 is my favourite moment on Train of Thought.

Apart from a very noticeable edit at exactly 3:35 ( or is it just me? )

:)

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #52 on: August 06, 2013, 06:46:04 AM »
The section that goes from 3:04 - 3:35 is my favourite moment on Train of Thought.

Apart from a very noticeable edit at exactly 3:35 ( or is it just me? )

:)

Just checked, and I hear it too. I can't quite pinpoint, but I think it's on every instrument, so maybe they trimmed the whole section down?
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #53 on: August 06, 2013, 06:49:26 AM »
It sticks out like a sore thumb to me - but then I have been working in Logic for 9 days so maybe i'm tuned in to hearing edits :P

I'm surprised they didn't hear it - a tiny crossfade would have smoothed that over.

+ Or maybe even pasted in a big cymbal crash and kick drum - amazing how much dodgy editing you can disguise like that...

Offline lyfeternl

« Reply #54 on: August 06, 2013, 09:30:15 AM »

I concur  :tup
"...the last is just a flurry of notes...so just do it and hope you don't suck..." - JP

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #55 on: August 06, 2013, 06:52:47 PM »
Without hearing the song before.

Offline JayOctavarium

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #56 on: August 06, 2013, 06:56:07 PM »
While wearing women's underwear
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #57 on: August 06, 2013, 06:57:48 PM »
As Usual....  :zydar:

Offline JayOctavarium

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #58 on: August 06, 2013, 07:00:33 PM »
Oh Myyyyyyyy

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"