176 (60.9%)
Average
77 (26.6%)
Hate it
5 (1.7%)
Won´t listen until the album release
9 (3.1%)

Total Members Voted: 282

Author Topic: The Enemy Inside poll  (Read 6333 times)

Offline MadImmortalMan

Re: The Enemy Inside poll
« Reply #70 on: August 05, 2013, 05:13:01 PM »
I'll give it an average. The drums are great, but I can't help but feel slightly underwhelmed. The phrase "DT by numbers" is thrown around a lot here, but I can't help but agree with it. Still excited for the album though!
There's no time for a conscience And we recognize no crime Yeah we've got dogs and Valvoline It's a pretty damn good time

Offline Buddyhunter1

• Professional Mellotron Spotter
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #71 on: August 05, 2013, 05:23:53 PM »
Listened to it three times.

It's good, but it's too generic for the band. I feel like I've heard everything somewhere else before, and the whole thing reminds me way too much of OTBOA. The first minute is really cool though. And since the band's recent singles have been in the bottom tier of their respective albums, I'm not too worried about the upcoming album as a whole.

Voted average.
BUDDYHUNTER | Debut Demo Out Now! FREE DOWNLOAD: https://buddyhunter.bandcamp.com/
RYM: https://rateyourmusic.com/~buddyhunter1

Offline Dekost

« Reply #72 on: August 05, 2013, 05:29:19 PM »
I'd say something in between average and great.

Offline Daso

• A cultivator of dread
« Reply #73 on: August 05, 2013, 05:37:24 PM »
I'd go with Great, although I feel the poll lacks options for portraying the song as it is at this point.

I don't know if I should vote already, I heard the song twice and I loved it, it blew me away far beyond ARoP and OtBoA did the first time I heard both. It is incredible. Amazing, very original (at least for DT) riffing and awesome solo by Petrucci. Good Rudess work, he adds the prog into the instrumental section without crossing the borders of what he should do in a single (like a think he did in ARoP - not that it is bad and he almost obviously did it to showcase his iPhone playing), and sets a certain parameter that he will do enough or more on the album. Mangini was the beast, the monster behind the song for me. I could not stop smiling during the whole song because I was so happy for finally listening to his input to the band, which absolutely blew me away. Wow, Mike, wow. Myung stayed back the whole time, which I don't particularly consider bad considering it is a fast, heavy song; he was going on with Petrucci the whole time (which wasn't lame at all, amazing riffing as I said before). LaBrie was pretty good, a bit under the level he should have been set in the mix, but OK. The song flowed extremely well, there wasn't the feeling that some part was forcefully placed in there, which is uncommon in the type of composition it is.

Imo, their second best single, second only to Take the Time.