Author Topic: Portnoy announcing 2 new DVDs on "The enemy inside" release day. Coincidence?  (Read 5742 times)

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
Not trying to be a MP hater, but I can really imagine this being intentional.
I checked his twitter and they were announced pretty much at the same time The Enemy Inside was released.

Offline Mindflux

• DT.net Veteran
  • DTF.org Alumni
Not trying to be a MP hater, but I can really imagine this being intentional.
I checked his twitter and they were announced pretty much at the same time The Enemy Inside was released.

Oh yeah.. cuz EST or PST are different between management companies?

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
Back to topic: Isn't this a bit too much of a coincidence. OK, if one DVD was announced yesterday, the other one tomorrow or in the next few days, no one could accuse him of wanting to torpedo DT's buzz OR to ride along and hope to benefit from all the DT fans checking out the new single. After listening, they see MP's news and so he gets more attention than normally. For instance, it could have been he still has his "moles" inside RR who told him about 5th August and so on.....

No, not really.  Information like this is typically released on Mondays and Tuesdays.  Given that DT will likely have information coming out almost every week from mid-July through September, odds are that if any Portnoy project has anything going on during this time period, information release will coincide.  And Portnoy has quite a few projects going on, so...yeah--pretty good odds, actually.

You heard it here first, friends!

:lol

Well, I mean, you know, generally speaking, that's the kind of thing I, uh, would expect.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Lucien

• James 5:1-5
Back to topic: Isn't this a bit too much of a coincidence. OK, if one DVD was announced yesterday, the other one tomorrow or in the next few days, no one could accuse him of wanting to torpedo DT's buzz OR to ride along and hope to benefit from all the DT fans checking out the new single. After listening, they see MP's news and so he gets more attention than normally. For instance, it could have been he still has his "moles" inside RR who told him about 5th August and so on.....

No, not really.  Information like this is typically released on Mondays and Tuesdays.  Given that DT will likely have information coming out almost every week from mid-July through September, odds are that if any Portnoy project has anything going on during this time period, information release will coincide.  And Portnoy has quite a few projects going on, so...yeah--pretty good odds, actually.

You heard it here first, friends!

Well, I mean, you know, generally speaking, that's the kind of thing I, uh, would expect.

:neverusethis:

I thought that the bolded comment was interesting considering the gap between in-studio 1 and in-studio 2. But you're bosk, so of course you know other things.  ;D
"Kind of a stupid game, isn't it?" - Calvin

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
Anybody who immediately thinks "Portnoy" when he hears DT must have lived under a rock for the last 3 years.

I see it as a coincidence, and I actually think MP is less than happy about this timing clash. The DVDs totally get drowned under the DT song chatter.
Or just not been an obsessive internet-user. I think a lot of people in the world still associate MP and DT with each other, even knowing and accepting that they are not together anymore.

Personally, I'd say it's possible that it's only coincidence (decisions on announcement timings is often taken by the label), but I'd say there was probably a bit of thinking in that there will be a buzz around the DT world, and a lot of people checking out DT-related sites, so releasing announcements about DT-related music is bound to get a decent exposure.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
Anybody who immediately thinks "Portnoy" when he hears DT must have lived under a rock for the last 3 years.

I see it as a coincidence, and I actually think MP is less than happy about this timing clash. The DVDs totally get drowned under the DT song chatter.
Or just not been an obsessive internet-user. I think a lot of people in the world still associate MP and DT with each other, even knowing and accepting that they are not together anymore.

True.  A friend of a friend (who has been a fan as long as I have been), when A Dramatic Turn of Events came out, was stunned at how, in his words, crappy the drums sounded on that record.  He had no idea that the band had changed drummers and couldn't understand why all of a sudden the drums weren't as in-your-face. 

Offline FracturedMirror

Portnoy's been promoting the PSMS Live in Tokyo dvd for awhile now.  Actually, I think it's already been released in other regions.  It definitely wasn't announced on the Enemy Inside release day.  It's been scheduled for release early next month, it just makes sense to start promoting it more throughout August. 

Offline The Boomr

• The Boomr
Where is the best place to preorder the PSMS? Haven't decided if I'll go for it yet, buuuuut I probably will. Must. Stop. Spending. Summer. Money.
James LaBrie: It's Always an octave higher.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
You know, I'm getting that Flying Colors live dvd. I WAS THERE, IN THE AUDIENCE
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.

:tup That's always awesome, hope you can find yourself!
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline The Boomr

• The Boomr

You were there?? SO JEALOUS! Flying Colors is absolutely my favorite of MP's latest side projects by farrrrrrrr.

Offline SystematicThought

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
True.  A friend of a friend (who has been a fan as long as I have been), when A Dramatic Turn of Events came out, was stunned at how, in his words, crappy the drums sounded on that record.  He had no idea that the band had changed drummers and couldn't understand why all of a sudden the drums weren't as in-your-face.
Is your friend from Indonesia?

Sorry, I had too
God have mercy on a man
Who doubts what he's sure of.
-Bruce Springsteen

Offline TheLordOfTheStrings

• I make music. I also do other stuff sometimes.
  • EB
This was the first thing I thought too.

I remember noticing this same kinda thing happening in the past as well. Can't remember off the top of my head what they were though.
Check out the latest concept album “III: The Sparrow & The Architect”, released under my project The Circle of Wonders:

https://linktr.ee/STARCOMMANDStudios

Offline TheGreatPretender

• The Second Dancing Turtle
  • You are reading these words.
Maybe the coincidence is in another little detail. Maybe MP was like, "I'm gonna announce this stuff on 8/5, because nuggetz," and then he found out that DT was releasing their new single, and was like, "Nooo! Why are they haunting me!?" but then decided to stick to his guns anyway.
"How's that for a slice of fried gold?"

Offline The Boomr

• The Boomr
Ok, ok.....what is this nuggetz thing that everyone does/says?

Well, you can start by reading over this: https://dt.spatang.com/octavarium.php

• EB
Check out the latest concept album “III: The Sparrow & The Architect”, released under my project The Circle of Wonders:

Offline The Boomr

• The Boomr

Sooooo a "nugget" is basically like an easter egg, in a way?

• EB

Yeah, they're usually referred to as 'Hidden Nuggets' but obviously this is a lazy forum (hence all the abbreviations), so people normally just refer to them as nuggets, or more popularly "nuggetz!".

Offline The Boomr

• The Boomr
Lol, DTF is so cool we even gotta have our own word for easter egg! :biggrin: it's cool. I like it :lol

Yeah, basically. But on DTF, it can be anything like a reference to other DT material. Like when someone is discussing something, and they decide to incorporate a title of a DT song, or part of a lyric into their sentence, just for fun. Of course, it's funny because once someone does that, it's only a matter of time before it breaks out into a full nugget war, and people keep replying, all the while incorporating DT titles or lyrics into their statements.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2013, 06:10:22 PM by TheGreatPretender »

• EB

Yeah, basically. But on TDF, it can be anything like a reference to other DT material. Like when someone is discussing something, and they decide to incorporate a title of a DT song, or part of a lyric into their sentence, just for fun. Of course, it's funny because once someone does that, it's only a matter of time before it breaks out into a full nugget war, and people keep replying, all the while incorporating DT titles or lyrics into their statements.

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ragnarök around the Clöck!

Yeah, basically. But on TDF, it can be anything like a reference to other DT material. Like when someone is discussing something, and they decide to incorporate a title of a DT song, or part of a lyric into their sentence, just for fun. Of course, it's funny because once someone does that, it's only a matter of time before it breaks out into a full nugget war, and people keep replying, all the while incorporating DT titles or lyrics into their statements.

Nuggetzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
scorpion is my favorite deathcore lobster
Hey, the length is fine :azn: Thanks!

• EB
 :rollin :rollin :rollin

Ain't I a stinker?  :biggrin:

Offline Lucien

• James 5:1-5

Nuggetzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Myung'd.
"Kind of a stupid game, isn't it?" - Calvin

Offline The Boomr

• The Boomr
Hahahaha I love this community ^_^