Author Topic: Portnoy announcing 2 new DVDs on "The enemy inside" release day. Coincidence?  (Read 5741 times)

Offline philmcson

Yes, this is another MP vs. DT thread. Seems nobody has noticed or spoken about, but today Mike Portnoy and his fellow bandmates first announced the Flying Colors "Live in Europe" album, then blabbermouth.net posted about PSMS unleashing "Live in Tokyo" a bit later. I'm sure they haven't been told 5 days ago.....

https://www.noblepr.co.uk/Press_Releases/mascot/flying-colors.htm
https://www.blabbermouth.net/news.aspx?mode=Article&newsitemID=193355

Do you think Mike voluntarily made his bands/projects announce their new live albums on the same day DT releases The enemy inside? If the answer is yes, I think those news have drowned in the DT buzz. Which is a pity, as I think FC and PSMS are both a bunce of great musicians who deserve more attention than they're currently receiving, but.....

Offline Dark Castle

• DTF.org Member
  • SmegmaPrincessX
Yup, just a coincidence if you ask me.

Offline aprilethereal

Not trying to be a MP hater, but I can really imagine this being intentional.

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!
Who cares?
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods

Offline Meatrose

• Built for heavy lifting
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Let me show you my new means of transportation...
Thanks for the heads-up. Been looking forward to the FC BD. Ordered it right away and I'm gonna watch it wearing my bundled T-shirt.  :metal

Offline JPX

Who cares?

I care, and I absolutley think it's intentional. I don't put anything past MP anymore.

I noticed this too when I saw the Flying Colors piece on Facebook.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
Yes, this is another MP vs. DT thread.

Well, we don't need any "MP vs. DT" threads at all because there is no "MP vs. DT."  So if you are looking to just stir up controversy by framing it in those terms, you need to stop.

But in answer to the question, yes, I think it likely is a coincidence.  I highly doubt that Mike had seen the marketing schedule for Dream Theater, so he literally couldn't have purposely timed things the way he did.  Second, while I could be mistaken, I really don't think Mike would intentionally do something like that.  Third, it wouldn't matter anyway.  I mean, it's not like him announcing what he announced is going to have any negative impact on DT's publicity or album sales whatsoever.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Marion Crane

• Smile, you're on MurderTV.
You know?  I honestly thought the same thing

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
And apparently, I can't figure out which forum I want to move this topic to.  :P  Sorry about that.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Mindflux

• DT.net Veteran
  • DTF.org Alumni
Yes, this is another MP vs. DT thread. Seems nobody has noticed or spoken about, but today Mike Portnoy and his fellow bandmates first announced the Flying Colors "Live in Europe" album, then blabbermouth.net posted about PSMS unleashing "Live in Tokyo" a bit later. I'm sure they haven't been told 5 days ago.....

Sorry, the PSMS news is at least a month old.  The Apocalypse B.C video may be new though.

Offline Jaq

• Favorite song by Europe: Carrie.
I knew both of these things were coming already, especially since the PSMS live CD/DVD was announced a month ago. So it's hardly MP sitting there a few days ago going "A NEW DT SINGLE?! I MUST PRESS RELEASE!"  :lol
The bones of beasts and the bones of kings become dust in the wake of the hymn.
Mighty kingdoms rise, but they all will fall, no more than a breath on the wind.

Offline philmcson

Yes, this is another MP vs. DT thread.

Well, we don't need any "MP vs. DT" threads at all because there is no "MP vs. DT."  So if you are looking to just stir up controversy by framing it in those terms, you need to stop.

But in answer to the question, yes, I think it likely is a coincidence.  I highly doubt that Mike had seen the marketing schedule for Dream Theater, so he literally couldn't have purposely timed things the way he did.  Second, while I could be mistaken, I really don't think Mike would intentionally do something like that.  Third, it wouldn't matter anyway.  I mean, it's not like him announcing what he announced is going to have any negative impact on DT's publicity or album sales whatsoever.

Regarding MP vs. DT, I agree. I don't have any intention of bringing up controversy. I was just referring to the fact that lately there's been an inflation of new MP threads on DTF and some of them brought up the old Will MP ever rejoin?/Who wants to prove themselves successful?/etc. questions, so I was joking a bit, like, "hah, yet another of those threads!"

Back to topic: Isn't this a bit too much of a coincidence. OK, if one DVD was announced yesterday, the other one tomorrow or in the next few days, no one could accuse him of wanting to torpedo DT's buzz OR to ride along and hope to benefit from all the DT fans checking out the new single. After listening, they see MP's news and so he gets more attention than normally. For instance, it could have been he still has his "moles" inside RR who told him about 5th August and so on.....

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
Clearly MP is Cobra Commander. Only Cobra Commander would device a plan this diabolical.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
Back to topic: Isn't this a bit too much of a coincidence. OK, if one DVD was announced yesterday, the other one tomorrow or in the next few days, no one could accuse him of wanting to torpedo DT's buzz OR to ride along and hope to benefit from all the DT fans checking out the new single. After listening, they see MP's news and so he gets more attention than normally. For instance, it could have been he still has his "moles" inside RR who told him about 5th August and so on.....

No, not really.  Information like this is typically released on Mondays and Tuesdays.  Given that DT will likely have information coming out almost every week from mid-July through September, odds are that if any Portnoy project has anything going on during this time period, information release will coincide.  And Portnoy has quite a few projects going on, so...yeah--pretty good odds, actually.

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
Haken also released a new song today, do you think they're teaming with MP against DT?
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

Offline Mindflux

• DT.net Veteran
  • DTF.org Alumni
Haken also released a new song today, do you think they're teaming with MP against DT?

Also bloggers blogged today. They must be conspiring against DT! It wasn't a DT centric article.

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
I think it's definitely a coincidence. While there's nothing wrong with being competitive like that, I doubt Mike knew when DT were going to release their single. But, even if Mike did, releasing his stuff the same day as something as huge as a DT single would be a pretty bad move. Mike has got to know that, even among his own diehards, something like new DT music still blows away any news from most of his current projects, except for MAYBE new Transatlantic music.

Case and point, before seeing this thread, I had no idea Mike was releasing anything.  Now I do thanks to this thread, but it would have gone completely under my radar otherwise. That's no insult to Mike, it's just that new DT music really is that big a deal in the extended DT family.

So, short answer: yes, it's a coincidence, and if it's not, it's a baffling and self-destructive decision.

Offline Ħ

It's coincidence. But even if MP planned to release it today specifically because DT was releasing their single, that's just brilliant marketing.
"All great works are prepared in the desert, including the redemption of the world. The precursors, the followers, the Master Himself, all obeyed or have to obey one and the same law. Prophets, apostles, preachers, martyrs, pioneers of knowledge, inspired artists in every art, ordinary men and the Man-God, all pay tribute to loneliness, to the life of silence, to the night." - A. G. Sertillanges

Offline Mindflux

• DT.net Veteran
  • DTF.org Alumni
So, short answer: yes, it's a coincidence, and if it's not, it's a baffling and self-destructive decision.

I dunno.  I mean.. even if it was orchestrated I don't see it as self-destructive. 

Whenever I personally go seek out news on a band, I generally will also seek out news on the bands members.  Which means if I was looking at DT news today I'd also go see what _OTHER_ news the members/ex-members might have.

Today that leads us to:

Mike Portnoy's FC and PSMS news
The Levin Minnemann Rudess project Tony Levin mentions here: https://www.forbassplayersonly.com/Interviews/Tony-Levin.html

So if it was orchestrated (and people are like me) that would boost his sales/exposure.. IMHO.

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
Really, last two post guys?

My impression is that, now that there's new DT music, it's all anyone in this room is thinking about. For reference, the "sanctioned" DT thread at MP.com is far and away the most active on the forum. The last post in it was made moments ago, and there's 50 pages and a steady flow of activity going on there.

By comparison, the Flying Colors DVD thread at has only 16 posts overall, and hasn't had a single new post in the last three hours -- pretty bad for a weekday afternoon after the "big announcement". I think Mike's smart enough to realize that most of his fans are still big DT fans, and timing anything to be released the same day as DT is a pretty bad moved where he'd just get overshadowed.

But if it was intentional (and I don't think it was), and I'm in Flying Colors, I'm definitely p.o.'d at whoever made the decision.

Offline The Boomr

• The Boomr
What?? They played Lines in the Sand, WITHOUT Petrucci?? Shame.  :angry:
James LaBrie: It's Always an octave higher.

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
What?? They played Lines in the Sand, WITHOUT Petrucci?? Shame.  :angry:
I think they do an instrumental version, I'm not sure though. I have no issue with them playing it, however.

Offline Mindflux

• DT.net Veteran
  • DTF.org Alumni

Really. I don't see it that way at all.  People hear DT they instantly thing Petrucci and Portnoy. 

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni

Really. I don't see it that way at all.  People hear DT they instantly thing Petrucci and Portnoy.

Well I am definitely an assumption to that rule. When I listen to DT, I try and listen to what EVERYONE is doing, though that doesn't mean I suddenly have the urge to go online and see what each inidividual member is doing. When I listen to post-MP DT, I don't think of MP at all. Why would I?

Offline Mindflux

• DT.net Veteran
  • DTF.org Alumni

Well I am definitely an assumption to that rule. When I listen to DT, I try and listen to what EVERYONE is doing, though that doesn't mean I suddenly have the urge to go online and see what each inidividual member is doing. When I listen to post-MP DT, I don't think of MP at all. Why would I?

That's exception to the rule.

Because he was a core member for 25 years? Because a lot of people got into DT for the technical drumming?  A variety of reasons.

For instance.. with the FC news today it made me look up Alpha Rev (Casey's band).. and I see that they played a very small intimate show here in Austin TX a couple days ago that I missed.   :facepalm:

I just like to look into everyone's projects when news comes up... it's like a "reminder" not to forget about everything else that comes from primary interests.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
Anybody who immediately thinks "Portnoy" when he hears DT must have lived under a rock for the last 3 years.

I see it as a coincidence, and I actually think MP is less than happy about this timing clash. The DVDs totally get drowned under the DT song chatter.
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline Mindflux

• DT.net Veteran
  • DTF.org Alumni
Anybody who immediately thinks "Portnoy" when he hears DT must have lived under a rock for the last 3 years.

I've been here the past 3 years. Have all the "after" works, been to 2 shows when DT came to town.  I still think Portnoy when I hear DT.

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni

I see it as a coincidence, and I actually think MP is less than happy about this timing clash. The DVDs totally get drowned under the DT song chatter.
Yeah, exactly. I certainly don't feel like I am the "exception" for not thinking about MP when I listen to DT anymore. I guess some fans are still a little stuck in the past, but I'm more than happy to give the actual members mu full attention when I'm listening to music. I mean, do people still think of Kevin Moore when they listened to newer DT records? Sherinian? Charlie? That opinion makes no sense to me. Yes, MP spent way more time in the band than any of those guys, but that doesn't mean I or the majority of fans aren't happy to take the current line-up of DT "as is".

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
Not only that, it would also be really inappropriate to use two bands of his, which feature a lot of other musicians, for some vendetta purpose.
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline cyberdrummer

• Setlist Guru and DT.net Veteran
Well, you know, the whole 5/8 thing WAS Portnoy's idea for 8V.

Coincidence.

Offline Lucien

• James 5:1-5

No, not really.  Information like this is typically released on Mondays and Tuesdays.  Given that DT will likely have information coming out almost every week from mid-July through September, odds are that if any Portnoy project has anything going on during this time period, information release will coincide.  And Portnoy has quite a few projects going on, so...yeah--pretty good odds, actually.

You heard it here first, friends!

:lol
"Kind of a stupid game, isn't it?" - Calvin

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
Does it really matter? I mean, I think most people who are fans of Portnoy are fans of DT as well, so even if he did announce it on the same day by purpose, I doubt it would have any effect on the fans loosing focus on the new DT-album/song.

Offline JPX

Does it really matter? I mean, I think most people who are fans of Portnoy are fans of DT as well, so even if he did announce it on the same day by purpose, I doubt it would have any effect on the fans loosing focus on the new DT-album/song.

I'm not going to attack MP here, but if it were true then absolutely it would matter because it would speak directly to his character.

Given, it must still be hard for him around DT releases but if he did this to try and detract from them, then it wouldn't be a positive move on his part.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
Look at MLB trying to upstage DT today by announcing the Biogenesis suspensions.

Offline ZKX-2099

• The Drifting Drifter
Let it die.