176 (60.9%)
Average
77 (26.6%)
Hate it
5 (1.7%)
Won´t listen until the album release
9 (3.1%)

Total Members Voted: 282

Author Topic: The Enemy Inside poll  (Read 6335 times)

Offline The Clairvoyant

Re: The Enemy Inside poll
« Reply #35 on: August 05, 2013, 10:03:19 AM »
A really great and cool songs, Mangini sounds great and he is phenomenal in this song and Petrucci too.

Offline Onno

• Well, it's just entertainment, folks!
« Reply #36 on: August 05, 2013, 10:04:26 AM »
Still not listening.
The Force is strong with this one.

Offline SethPC

« Reply #37 on: August 05, 2013, 10:07:01 AM »
I went with Average, mostly based off the quality of the stream. But even if I find the full-quality cut of the song to be and average DT song, an average DT song is still pretty good IMO.

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
« Reply #38 on: August 05, 2013, 10:09:14 AM »

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #39 on: August 05, 2013, 10:15:23 AM »
Haven't listened yet, but based on opinions in this thread I am worried that JM will be buried in the mix again. Not getting a positive vibe on the drum sound either.

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #40 on: August 05, 2013, 10:15:43 AM »
On first listen, I'd say the song is very good. Strong melodies, strong instrumental section, better mixing than what we're used to now. It pretty much checks off all the boxes. It almost feels power-y, which I'm fine with. I can take that stuff in limited doses. Very fun song overall. Definitely better than the what DT have been releasing as "singles" since they started doing that again.

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #41 on: August 05, 2013, 10:16:44 AM »
My first thought:

Mangini, settle the fuck down!

Second thought:

Mangini, thank you for not settling down.

Yeah the vocals are a bit low and the bass seemed more prominent at the beginning of the song but then got sort of drowned.

It is way too early to get my full opinion.  I need to listen to it in the car in order to really dive into it.

In the meantime, I went with "Great" but could easily move up to "Masterpiece" after I digest it a little more. 

Offline eviljust

• I'm just a Dreamer...
  • HIC MANEMIBUS OPTIME
« Reply #42 on: August 05, 2013, 10:23:06 AM »
Went with Average, but a Great wannabe. Like it more than the past 3 singles.
This story ends where it began.

me on lastfm

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
« Reply #43 on: August 05, 2013, 10:30:38 AM »
Well, there's at least one other person who's not listening to it. Show yourself.

Offline SuperTaco

• why do I still exist
  • doomed to fail
« Reply #44 on: August 05, 2013, 10:33:55 AM »
I voted Great. If JLB/JM were just a tad louder in the mix, I might have voted Masterpiece. I'm thinking that the actual album will sound a bit better than this online stream, so it may still reach the top.
So fking tired of being an oversensitive naive moronic fkin bitch. I CANT STOP IT. I CANT CHANGE. IM STUCK. This world eats me alive. My purpose is simply to be what others shouldn't be. A shriveled fking beacon of sad energy. I have lost. I am lost.

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #45 on: August 05, 2013, 10:52:17 AM »
I would select "Pretty Good" if that was an option, but I went with great.
Quote from: bosk1
As frequently happens, Super Dude nailed it.
:superdude:

Offline changing_seasons

« Reply #46 on: August 05, 2013, 10:52:40 AM »
Well, there's at least one other person who's not listening to it. Show yourself.

That was me, although I caved and listened to it just now. I rate it below average. I hate how they've become so heavy these past 5-6 years. Just look at the waveform; it's a wall of sound with hardly any dynamic variation at all. I guess that's why they are called a progressive metal band these days.  :-\

Thank god for Transatlantic/Neal Morse.
Tell about my brother
Tell them about me
The Count of Tuscany

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
« Reply #47 on: August 05, 2013, 10:53:56 AM »
Hmm. I'm still holding out. Though, DT being heavy sounds good to me. I am a happy fish now. :D

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #48 on: August 05, 2013, 10:56:27 AM »
I voted great.  I think its a rocking tune, the guitars sound great to me, MM sounds fantastic! Great to hear the drums up in the mix a little more!!

JLB could have been a little louder I think, especially in the verses, and the same goes for JM, but I'm trying to reserve most of that judgment till I have the actual album, sonic qualities are hard to judge from a stream.

I think the choruses are strong, the bridge and instrumental section were awesome, they managed to pack a lot of cool stuff into a "shorter" song structure. 

Overall, great! I like it more than CM and ARoP for sure, I think I like it more than OTBoA as well. So weighing it against other DT singles from recent releases, its very strong.

Offline FracturedMirror

« Reply #49 on: August 05, 2013, 10:58:46 AM »
My thoughts from the other thread - Quick first impressions:

Lyrically the theme seems very similar to Panic Attack.  Anxiety/panic attacks as the topic of the song.

Vocals sound very Megadethy at the start to me, like a Cryptic Writings era Mustaine.

Guitar and keyboard bit around the 5:00 mark doesn't fit well, in my opinion.

Decent enough song, but it leaves me somewhat underwhelmed initially.

Offline adastra

« Reply #50 on: August 05, 2013, 10:59:29 AM »
I'd have to say AVERAGE  . 
I like the song , but on DT scale it's only Average.  Nice single song!
Stay by my side / as I fade / so you can point to the end of my struggle /and the twilight of eternal days / at the low, dark edge of life.

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Jay Beckenstein was in Spyro Gyra, right?
« Reply #51 on: August 05, 2013, 11:05:07 AM »
On the first listen I thought it was plain forgettable, without a catchy melody or definite structure.

Two hours and 5 listenings after, I vote great with all my might  :tup
:slayer: Somewhere, over the wasteland..... bootlegs fly :slayer:
MoraWintersoul is the BEST person.
- Marco

Offline Setebos

« Reply #52 on: August 05, 2013, 11:14:11 AM »
Voted average. It's a decent song and I don't get the impulse to skip it or anything, but for me it's just a little too generic and does not feel very exciting (which is no suprise for a single). It's better than most of DT's singles from the past few albums though, with the exception of OTBOA.

Offline userx

« Reply #53 on: August 05, 2013, 11:17:08 AM »

That was me, although I caved and listened to it just now. I rate it below average. I hate how they've become so heavy these past 5-6 years. Just look at the waveform; it's a wall of sound with hardly any dynamic variation at all. I guess that's why they are called a progressive metal band these days.  :-\

Thank god for Transatlantic/Neal Morse.

basicly this, although I also find Transatl a bit boringish. this might be the least original DT song and it sound a lot like other progMETAL bands for which there is a reason I don't listen to. Had this been the first DT song i had heard, they'd probably just pass below my radar unnoticed

Offline Ruba

« Reply #54 on: August 05, 2013, 12:21:57 PM »
After one listen average. Miles behind OTBOA (I was blown away by it), but not bad.

Offline wolven74

• DTF.org Alumni
  • My body is not well
« Reply #55 on: August 05, 2013, 12:32:48 PM »
The only way this could be a masterpiece is by comparing it to the rest of the album, which can't be done yet. So, I went with great. It's definitely top 3 as far as their singles go though.
Everything is immaterial. Do you know that reality is immaterial? This is not reality.
In what friggin' universe is a 68 minute long album "short"?

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bryce & Kylie's Grandpa
« Reply #56 on: August 05, 2013, 12:36:10 PM »
I won't listen to it before the album is released. 

Offline mrjazzguitar

• I play guitar.
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • rump horrot
« Reply #57 on: August 05, 2013, 12:47:51 PM »
Definitely average. I can't believe the lack of new ideas on the band's part. Absolutely nothing new. Also very weak melodically. I understand that it's probably the "shortish, easy to take in, single-worthy" song from the album, and the really good stuff will be in the "epic" songs, but come on, this song is just pure recycling. On the Backs of Angels wasn't exactly the most innovative song, but still had some creative new vibes and super strong melodies

Then there's the recording... really don't like how the drums are mixed or the tone of the snare drum. Super cluttered - not much clarity.. none of that "pop" (listen to Blind Faith for pretty much the best drum mixing DT has done -- incredibly crisp and clear and the balance in the mix is beautiful). Also, the vocals are way too low in the mix, which is especially bad with such weak melodic material.

Offline Dark Castle

• DTF.org Member
  • SmegmaPrincessX
« Reply #58 on: August 05, 2013, 12:48:08 PM »
I said I wouldn't, but I've listened to it twice so far.
EDIT: I love it, definitely amped up my excitement for the album.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2013, 12:56:11 PM by Dark Castle »

Offline sueño

• How Dare I Be So Beautiful?
« Reply #59 on: August 05, 2013, 12:53:38 PM »
I think it's great.  I don't have much to compare it to -- but I tend to listen to music one song at a time rather than as a group for comparison's sake, so...I mean, as of yet, I still don't own one DT album.  :blush

Good song, though!  :metal
"We spend most of our lives convinced we’re the protagonist of the story, but we rarely realize that we’re just supporting characters in everybody else’s story. Nobody thinks about you as much as you do."

Offline Laich21DT

• I AM ERROR.
« Reply #60 on: August 05, 2013, 01:17:03 PM »
I voted great, but had there been an option between average and great, I would have chosen that.
I've got a plan, it involves pulling up our bootstraps, oiling up a couple of asses, and doing a little plowing of our own...... not gay sex. -Mac, It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia

Offline nobloodyname

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #61 on: August 05, 2013, 01:25:36 PM »
I'm another one not listening to the track before the album is available. My girlfriend did, however, describe it to me as "DT by numbers".
Paul
Gamer, rocker, humanist, womble
Leicestershire, UK
Getting right out of my comfort zone: www.youtube.com/@paulplayspoorly Go on, you can do it, too! (24/3/2024: Now playing on Paul Plays Poorly!, The Answer Lies Within by Dream Theater)

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #62 on: August 05, 2013, 01:37:39 PM »
I guess that's why they are called a progressive metal band these days.  :-\
What do you mean "these days"?  They've always been called a progressive metal band.   ???
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline atmyne

• Dog Face no space
« Reply #63 on: August 05, 2013, 01:54:44 PM »
Still not listening.
I will say that I listened to it about 3 times, the last time about 2+ hours ago, and most of it has just left my memory. Additionally, now that my curiosity has been clenched, I find it's going to be easy to hold off on more listens up until the release. So in short, maybe it wouldn't hurt you to check it out! (IF it's killing you, like an enemy on the inside :neverusethis:). Otherwise keep it up you will certainly reap the benefits on release  :tup

I gave this track an average, but for what it is I was completely caught off guard. There's nothing new on the table here, but it doesn't sound contrived or uninspired. My favorite DT single in a LONG time.

Offline Joshin U

• On a wrecking ball to view a fashion show
« Reply #64 on: August 05, 2013, 01:59:45 PM »
I gave this track an average, but for what it is I was completely caught off guard. There's nothing new on the table here, but it doesn't sound contrived or uninspired. My favorite DT single in a LONG time.

That's a pretty fair assessment.

Offline shredding

« Reply #65 on: August 05, 2013, 02:00:42 PM »
It's great  :hefdaddy Like what JR said on the interviews : Mangini Unleashed  :hefdaddy
The only thing that i don't really like from this single is the drum sound *again*, not because of the mix, particularly the snare drum sound, ADTOE drum sound is much better in terms of  drum sound itself.
Just my 2 cents  :tup

I actually agree with you on the snare sound

Offline gabeh1018

« Reply #66 on: August 05, 2013, 02:32:01 PM »
I like it
nothing new or groundbreaking, typical dream theater
it's safe
The vocals are a bit low in the verses

and does anyone else think the guitar solo starts off with the same vibe/phrasing as On the Backs of Angels??

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #67 on: August 05, 2013, 02:37:35 PM »
It's certainly no masterpiece, but I voted for great, because for what it is (a relatively straightforward rocker released as a single) it really is very good. It does rock, it has a catchy chorus, and it has enough madness in places to make it thoroughly enjoyable.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline manticore999

« Reply #68 on: August 05, 2013, 04:52:17 PM »
Average, at best.  Around 4:30 until about 4:43 it just sounds like noise (again around 4:48 - 5:11) I kept waiting for these sections to sound like 'something' but wow - tons of notes that just seem to go nowhere.  I know that's something they do a lot of, but I guess I was hoping for something a little different. I don't hate it - I just hope the rest of the album is more to my liking.

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Jay Beckenstein was in Spyro Gyra, right?
« Reply #69 on: August 05, 2013, 05:09:28 PM »

Well, what did you expect? Seasons change, and so can they. And so can the definition of prog metal.

And besides, it's already quite established that the song has been overly compressed for this streaming event, or at least that's what noxon said using the promotional copy of the album he received for reference.
:slayer: Somewhere, over the wasteland..... bootlegs fly :slayer:
MoraWintersoul is the BEST person.
- Marco