Author Topic: PwnsomeWin's Top 30 DT Songs (And Bottom 10)  (Read 10729 times)

Offline Onno

• Well, it's just entertainment, folks!
Re: PwnsomeWin's Top 30 DT Songs
« Reply #35 on: August 20, 2013, 11:37:52 AM »
Three great songs, but Vacant and LTL stand out for me. I think I've heard TSCO too many times.

Offline PwnsomeWin

« Reply #36 on: August 25, 2013, 10:13:53 AM »
Next update!

12. The Count Of Tuscany (Black Clouds And Silver Linings)
I hate to say it, but BCASL was "A Nightmare To Remember". Easily my least favorite album. This song saves it from being a bad album. My favorite part is the outro, but the Octavarium intro-esque part right before it is really cool too. And the verses at the beginning are really rockin'. The only somewhat weak part in this 19 minute song is the crazy part with all the time signature changes before the Octavarium part. But even that part isn't bad. A great song on a decent album.

11. Trial Of Tears (Falling Into Infinity)
What an amazing song. The first minute is a really nice and calming intro. However, once that is over, it really starts! This whole song has no weak points IMO. But from 6:30 to the end is my favorite part. It's hard to pick a smaller favorite part, because it's just so awesome! Anyways, a guitar solo starts at 6:30, and it slowly builds up. As well as getting louder, the key keeps getting higher. At 8:10, the solo stops for 20 seconds with an awesome bass part. Around 15 seconds later, a keyboard solo breaks out. The keyboard solos for a bit, then at 9:10, it builds up some more! Just when you think it can't build up anymore, you hear two awesome notes closing the solo. It's only two notes, but ma, do they have an effect on you! From there is the acoustic part, which is just as awesome. I'd describe it as well, but I don't want to bore you anymore. Get prepared for long descriptions, because the more awesome the song, the longer the description. ;]

10. Six Degrees Of Inner Turbulence (Six Degrees Of Inner Turbulence)
Here it is, DT's longest song (That is, if you consider it one song). But I do. Anyways, the overture is nice, but when the second movement starts is when the song really gets awesome! My favorite part in About To Crash is the reaaaaally slow part with the guitar solo. Then comes War Inside My Head, my second favorite movement of SDOIT despite the length. War Inside My Head starts to get more metal. When The Test That Stumped Them All comes in, then it starts to get REALLY metal. Then when you can't think it can't get anymore metal, it comes to a halting stop and Goodnight Kiss starts. Goodnight Kiss is a beautiful ballad with a nice guitar solo. Near the end of the solo, you hear the bass drum thumping, starting Solitary Shell, my favorite movement in SDOIT. It's not metal at all, but it's not a ballad at all either. It sits right in the middle of soft and loud, and it's really awesome. After that is a reprise of About To Crash, and then is the final movement. It's a really nice ending, but I think it could've been better. Either way, it's still great. The second best song off SDOIT.

Offline 425

« Reply #37 on: August 25, 2013, 10:58:19 AM »
Three pretty good choices. I don't like TCOT quite as much as you do and like ToT and SDOIT a little more than you (both of course by comparison to the rest of DT's discography), but still, three excellent top 20 choices!
And if spirit's a sign,
Then it's only a matter of time

Offline PwnsomeWin

« Reply #38 on: August 25, 2013, 10:59:46 AM »
and like ToT and SDOIT a little more than you
Train of Thought is my favorite DT album.

Offline 425

« Reply #39 on: August 25, 2013, 11:08:17 AM »
I was referring to the song Trial of Tears, not the album Train of Thought, which you do clearly like more than me, since it is nowhere near my favorite DT album (also, I was referring to the song SDOIT and not the album SDOIT).
And if spirit's a sign,

Offline PwnsomeWin

« Reply #40 on: August 25, 2013, 01:45:31 PM »
I was referring to the song Trial of Tears, not the album Train of Thought, which you do clearly like more than me, since it is nowhere near my favorite DT album (also, I was referring to the song SDOIT and not the album SDOIT).
Oh lol. That makes more sense. Honestly, if I hadn't already posted it, I'd probably make it higher now.

Offline Onno

« Reply #41 on: August 25, 2013, 05:00:24 PM »
Three great songs.

Offline krieger

« Reply #42 on: August 25, 2013, 07:59:35 PM »

IMHO, this is Sherinian's best moment on DT.
"Likely or not, it's a dream that we keep
and at odds with our senses we'll climb
But if faith is the answer, we've already reached it
And if spirit's a sign then it's only a matter of time."

Offline PwnsomeWin

« Reply #43 on: August 26, 2013, 06:49:16 PM »

IMHO, this is Sherinian's best moment on DT.
I agree completely.

Okay, time for three more songs. Two of them are of SC, and ALL of them will probably surprise you.

9. The Ministry Of Lost Souls (Systematic Chaos)
Surprise number one! I actually really like SC. As far as I know, the hate of this song seems to go on the instrumental section. It's very random, but I don't mind. The instrumental section is awesome IMO. Then, of course, the ending guitar solo is brilliant. A really nice song.

8. Endless Sacrifice (Train Of Thought)
Surprise number two! This one is probably the least surprising, but surprise number three will be VERY surprising. Anyways, I freaking love this song. My favorite part is the random orchestral section near the beginning of the long solo. It comes out of nowhere and sounds awesome! The whole solo is really nice, though. Even though it's long, I don't find it boring one bit. My favorite song off TOT.

7. Prophets Of War (Systematic Chaos)
 :omg: Did he really just put Prophets Of War in his top 10? you're probably thinking. I did; this is surprise number three. I really don't understand all the hate for this song. The riff between the first and second verse is one of my favorite DT riffs. Then the second verse is where it gets freakin' awesome. And then there's the quiet vocal/acoustic guitar break somewhat near the end. This is a really awesome song, IMO.

I hope I surprised you.

Offline Tom Bombadil

• We Do Not Sow
« Reply #44 on: August 26, 2013, 07:10:09 PM »
Wow. Surprised is an understatement there. Definitely didn't see Prophets of War coming. I like the surprises thoug. Very interested to see what comes next.

Offline 425

« Reply #45 on: August 26, 2013, 08:38:35 PM »
Ministry is great. I would put it close to that high but not that high.

Endless Sacrifice is another very good song that is easily top 30 but not top 10 IMO.

An-- hey, what is this? Yeah, Prophets isn't one I'd think to be in a top 10. It's nowhere near that for me, but it's by no means a bad song, so it's nice to see it get some love and fun to be surprised by its place on your list!
And if spirit's a sign,

Offline Onno

« Reply #46 on: August 27, 2013, 03:04:09 AM »

Endless Sacrifice is another very good song that is easily top 30 but not top 10 IMO.

An-- hey, what is this? Yeah, Prophets isn't one I'd think to be in a top 10. It's nowhere near that for me, but it's by no means a bad song, so it's nice to see it get some love and fun to be surprised by its place on your list!
I'll just quote this, so I don't need to type my own reply. I agree!  :lol

Offline Whatsername

• Love is the Dance of Eternity
« Reply #47 on: August 27, 2013, 07:51:52 AM »

I've been building my Top 50 and every time I listen to that song again, it creeps higher up my list. I wouldn't put it quite this high either but it's cracked my top 20.
We move in circles. Balanced all the while on a gleaming razor's edge.
A perfect sphere colliding with our fate. This story ends where it began.

Offline iamtheeviltwin

« Reply #48 on: August 27, 2013, 08:32:07 AM »
Prophets of War  :tup  deserves to be this high in a list.  The song has a good political message, entertaining word play, and the Queen callbacks are highly amusing.

Ministry of Lost Souls  :tdwn should be nowhere near a top 50 list.  One of the most bloated songs in the band's catalog.  There might be a good song in there if they cut it to about 4m.

Offline Whatsername

« Reply #49 on: August 27, 2013, 08:34:59 AM »
Wow, tell us how you really feel! :P

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #50 on: August 27, 2013, 08:36:12 AM »
I'm not a fan of POW and TMOLS, and I wouldn't rank ES nearly that high, but things like these make lists interesting.

Offline Ruba

« Reply #51 on: August 27, 2013, 09:12:24 AM »
I love Prophets of War  :metal :heart.

Offline Nearmyth

« Reply #52 on: August 27, 2013, 02:26:20 PM »
I don't understand the hate PoW gets either. To me it's a little lackluster in the album as a whole but it has a nice riff, and I like the Queen-esque vocals. TMOLS is great, nice to see it this high :metal As for Endless Sacrifice, that one never caught on much for me. It would probably be near the bottom of my top 50 to be honest,  but it's a good song. It rocks live :o
"Now I'm not one to soon forget
And I bet I never will...

WAAHH WAAHH DIGA DIGA WAAHH WAAHH"

Offline Tom Bombadil

• We Do Not Sow
« Reply #53 on: August 27, 2013, 06:04:41 PM »
I don't understand the hate PoW gets either. To me it's a little lackluster in the album as a whole but it has a nice riff, and I like the Queen-esque vocals. TMOLS is great, nice to see it this high :metal As for Endless Sacrifice, that one never caught on much for me. It would probably be near the bottom of my top 50 to be honest,  but it's a good song. It rocks live :o
We have like completely opposite views haha. I really dislike POW. I think TMOLS is pretty good except I can't stand the instrumental section. And I think Endless Sacrifice is at least a top 20. Interesting how people who like the same band can have such different opinions. Just shows how good DT is. :metal

Offline PwnsomeWin

« Reply #54 on: August 30, 2013, 07:32:57 AM »
Time for 6, 5, and 4! BTW, I won't do 1, 2, and 3 altogether.

6. A Change Of Seasons (A Change Of Seasons)
The title track off DT's first EP. And DAMN is it good! ACOS tells an awesome tale of a man's life. ACOS also has the most epic DT section IMO. That section is the movement "Another World". Not only is it epic, it has one of the greatest DT solos. I really like the instrumentals in this song as well. Heck, almost every part of this 23 minute song is good! I'd love to raise this song, but the next 5 songs are just masterpieces.

5. You Not Me (Falling Into Infinity)
IT'S ALL ABOUT YEWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW NOT MEEEEEEE!

5. In The Presence Of Enemies (Systematic Chaos)
Ignore the above. I was thinking about putting that there and see how many people believed it. Anyways, ITPOE is the first of the top 5. From what I've seen on the forum, Pt. 1 and Heretic have been praised. I praise the whole thing. Heretic might be my favorite part, but I love the whole thing. The story is pretty cool too. And dat guitar throughout a lot of the song. The highlight of SC for me, after Prophets Of War.

4. Space Dye Vest (Awake)
I think this song peaked at about #2 before. Regardless, it's fucking amazing. The lyrics are some of the best DT has written, if not the best. It's also a beautiful song. The ending has made me cry before. I can't think of much to say about this song, other then it's really beautiful. It sucks that Kevin Moore left, because he wrote some great songs (like this). But, I won't get into that.

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #55 on: August 30, 2013, 07:35:33 AM »

Offline Whatsername

« Reply #56 on: August 30, 2013, 08:04:03 AM »
Amazing choices! :tup I think Heretic is probably the best part of ITPOE. And Space Dye Vest is fast climbing my list too. And obvious love for ACOS.

Offline Tom Bombadil

• We Do Not Sow
« Reply #57 on: August 30, 2013, 10:06:08 AM »
SDV at #4!! :hefdaddy :tup :metal

Offline 425

« Reply #58 on: August 30, 2013, 01:02:48 PM »
ACOS and SDV are solid choices. ACOS was a song I initially fell in love with, then out of love with because I had an affair with the hotter and more mature Octavarium, but I've recently heard ACOS again and am falling back in love with it. It probably deserves this high. And SDV I've always loved and definitely deserves this. /marriageanalogy

ITPOE is a solid choice, I'd put it high but not quite this high.

YNM is a brilliant choice. I like the part where James tells us that he's been gay every single day.
And if spirit's a sign,

Offline JoeG

• Engineering student by day, DTF word-spewer by night
« Reply #59 on: August 30, 2013, 01:06:05 PM »
Nice to see someone ranking ITPOE up high! Great song, the most underrated of the DT epics. I don't rank it quite that high, but it's a very strong piece.

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
« Reply #60 on: August 30, 2013, 01:37:40 PM »
These choices please me.

Offline PwnsomeWin

« Reply #61 on: August 30, 2013, 02:11:13 PM »
Gonna post 3 and 2 today, cause I'm bored.

3. Finally Free (Scenes From A Memory)
Here's number three. This song is fucking brilliant! So many amazing parts in it, such as the chorus, the "Feeling good this Friday afternoon" part, and of course the One Last Time part. I can't even describe how good this song is, so screw it. A perfect ending for SFAM.

2. Octavarium (Octavarium)
DUN DUN DUNNNNNNNNNNN! Octavarium isn't number one. Well, then again I said number one would be a surprise, and Octavarium wouldn't be very surprising, would it? Anyways, I can't find one part of this 24 minute song that is bad. The Pink Floyd-esque intro is so beautiful and amazing; a great start to this epic. Then, after a brief loud part, you have the pretty 12-string guitar part. Movement two starts off with some awesome bass and drums. Then the keys and vocals come in to tell the story of a man who has awoken after being in a coma for 30 years. At the end ofmovement two, you have a really cool keyboard solo that leads into movement three. In movement three there are many references to other songs ("Lucy in the sky with diamonds", "my supper's ready"). After the vocals finish, you have a really proggy solo. I can't list all the cool parts in the solo, so I'll move on to movement four. Movement four starts to build up slowly and dramatically. Nearing the end, you hear LaBrie screaming "TRAPPED INSIDE THE OCTAVARIUM!". At the last time he says that I get chills down my spine, and movement five starts. Prepare yourself for one of DT's most epic moments. Razor's Edge starts off with some vocals, but it's when you hear the guitar solo that your mind is blown. When you hear that last guitar note you know this song is epic. It ends the same way The Root Of All Evil starts, with a piano note. It was very hard to put this song at number two, but I had too, because number one is a true masterpiece.

Any guesses for number one?

Offline Outcrier

« Reply #62 on: August 30, 2013, 02:37:29 PM »
Beyond This Life? F*cking Home?
Take The Time? Pull Me Under?
The Glass Prison?
Outcrier: Toughest cop on the force.

Offline 425

« Reply #63 on: August 30, 2013, 03:16:46 PM »
A good choice and a great choice, respectively.

I'll go with my stock controversial choice guess and say Sacrificed Sons.
And if spirit's a sign,

Offline PwnsomeWin

« Reply #64 on: August 31, 2013, 03:18:27 PM »
None of your guesses were right. So, here's number 1!

1. Disappear (Six Degrees Of Inner Turbulence)
My favorite DT song is Disappear. It may even be the best song ever, I dunno. Either way, this song is really sad and emotional. It just brings up so many emotions when you listen to it. The plot of the lyrics is very simple; a relationship where one of the people is dying. However, JLB nails the lyrics on this one. The lyrics are one of the best parts of the song IMO, and I rarely listen to the lyrics of songs carefully. No guitar solos, this song is just too good by itself. My favorite part of the song is near the end, at "So I'm moving on". This part contains the couple's last words to each other. It's one of the most beautiful parts in ANY song. IMO, even though it would've been weird, Disappear should've ended SDOIT. It's just a really amazing song.

Offline Lucien

• James 5:1-5
Re: PwnsomeWin's Top 30 DT Songs (COMPLETED! CHECK #1)
« Reply #65 on: August 31, 2013, 03:23:19 PM »
 :omg:
"Kind of a stupid game, isn't it?" - Calvin

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
« Reply #66 on: August 31, 2013, 03:24:56 PM »
i knew it

Seriously though, I never saw that coming. Good choice. :tup

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ragnarök around the Clöck!
« Reply #67 on: August 31, 2013, 03:32:25 PM »
Amazing song, and TOTALLY deserving of that spot. Great list!
scorpion is my favorite deathcore lobster
Hey, the length is fine :azn: Thanks!

Offline Tom Bombadil

• We Do Not Sow
« Reply #68 on: August 31, 2013, 03:59:05 PM »
Nice pick! Disappear is an incredible song. Nice to see some love for it.

Offline Onno

« Reply #69 on: August 31, 2013, 05:12:33 PM »
Great songs!! Truly great to see FF so high, I LOVE that track too! Octavarium is my personal #1 and Disappear is probably my favourite DT ballad, amazing song. Great list man!