Author Topic: The Enemy Inside Discussion Thread  (Read 274425 times)

Offline The Stray Seed

• There is no greater Evil than the indifference of Good men.
  • non mihi, non tibi, sed Nobis.
Loved it. Really... Thank you DT.

I would love to be banned.
xD Sorry about that Chino! Try to hold on!! It'll really be worth your wait!! =)

Offline LTE3

Don't really like the mix but it is an internet stream so maybe it's heavily compressed. Snare sounds fake.
Not that excited, didn't really like the song.

I feel the same way, also feel like it could have easily been on ADToE. Feel like I'ver heard it all before.  Kind of boring I think. I know the new DT fans feel diff and I have read but I am hoping this is the throw away song on the album. I think JP's guitar sound is getting so compressed with no more sustain. Sounding more and more like a Djent guitarist which is not my idea of DT.  As a huge fan since 94 I expect the world which is not fair but this song will not be anywhere close to my top 20 DT tunes.
Scheming demons dressed in kingly guise, beating down the multitude and scoffing at the wise.

Offline N4Player

Seventh pass and I frickin love it!  :metal

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
Lyrics sound like they are talking about Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder, do we know who penned this song yet?

I'm guessing JP? Did we see who had the lyrics in the studio vid?
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline Frank

So I've listened to it twice and I'm trying to restrain myself from listening to it more. At this point it's new for me. I'd love for it to stay that way. But I doubt I'll be able to resist not listening to it again until September 24th. We'll see.

So I take it it's not landing in your workout mix, then? :lol
Ahh, I hit the home button!
- Jordan Rudess

Offline DT_Aus

My wish is that someday the "goofy" keyboard moments will go away, but it not this day.

Agreed.  In a song this heavy and straight-forward, some of those Jordan-esque keyboard sounds (like after the first chorus) sounded a bit out of place, but we'll see if they grow on me.
Could not disagree more =D great Jordan moments in this song! I really like them!

Agree with you, Stray Seed. I think they fit well. It's such a DT thing and, after all, we love DT because they do things like that. I really enjoy his crazy musical interludes

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
At DTF... "Most Online Today: 890."

Possible we finally break the 1000 barrier?

"394 Guests are viewing this topic."

:whoa:  I feel violated.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Marion Crane

• Smile, you're on MurderTV.
I think it's a well-crafted, ballsy album opener but the guitar solo reminds me a bit too much of the solo from OTBOA.

I felt the exact same way about the solo.  He almost replicated a few phrases from the OTBOA lead

Offline atmyne

• Dog Face no space
based on this tune, I'm going to say that this is going to be an 8vm tier album, maybe a little better (I rank this album very highly, just under 6DOIT, SFAM and ACOS). The song seems a little forgetful, but I was blown away with the production (the drums sound much better now) and some of JPs guitar parts are very cool indeed. I really wasn't expecting much, and I was pleasantly surprised. :corn

Offline TheGreatPretender

• The Second Dancing Turtle
  • You are reading these words.
I've always wondered if maybe I'm too easily pleased. Out of the 110 Dream Theater tracks I have, I actively enjoy and listen to 91 of them. You guys are discussing things like the snare is pillow-y or something about triggers, and I feel like I'm the little kid at the adult's table. :lol
No, you're not too easily pleased. You're just not super jaded. It's good that you're able to just listen to music and enjoy it for what it is, without having to pick apart every little minor flaw.

As for the actual song, I was hoping for something a bit more melodic, like These Walls, but still, this being Dream Theater, I'm not going to say how much I love it just yet. I'll give it a few listens and let it settle in my brain.
"How's that for a slice of fried gold?"

Offline Ħ

Killer! Huge sign this is going to be an awesome album :metal
"All great works are prepared in the desert, including the redemption of the world. The precursors, the followers, the Master Himself, all obeyed or have to obey one and the same law. Prophets, apostles, preachers, martyrs, pioneers of knowledge, inspired artists in every art, ordinary men and the Man-God, all pay tribute to loneliness, to the life of silence, to the night." - A. G. Sertillanges

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder

My wish is that someday the "goofy" keyboard moments will go away, but it not this day.

Agreed.  In a song this heavy and straight-forward, some of those Jordan-esque keyboard sounds (like after the first chorus) sounded a bit out of place, but we'll see if they grow on me.
Could not disagree more =D great Jordan moments in this song! I really like them!

Agree with you, Stray Seed. I think they fit well. It's such a DT thing and, after all, we love DT because they do things like that. I really enjoy his crazy musical interludes

For me, sometimes they work, and sometimes they don't.  I know this next comment will make some want to bang their head against a wall (or mine :lol), but I can only imagine how much better a song like this would have been in the early 90s, with the keys creating a wonderful atmosphere from start to finish and giving a song this heavy a great melodic undercurrent, instead of some of Jordan's corny sounds slapping you in the face.

Offline gentaishinigami

What is the riff @4:30 very influenced by?  Sounds like The DAnce of Eternity but i feel like theres something else that fits even better but i cant remember.

Seems like there are a few callbacks and nods in the song but im having a hard time placing them. 

Also, songs about the hypnotherapist! >:O

Offline Moonchild

• There can be only one! muahahaha
Is this catchy enough? To be a single that is.

Offline Jaffa

• Just Jaffa
  • DTF.org Alumni
Is this catchy enough? To be a single that is.

Yes.
Sincerely,
Jaffa

Offline Whatsername

• Love is the Dance of Eternity
So I've listened to it twice and I'm trying to restrain myself from listening to it more. At this point it's new for me. I'd love for it to stay that way. But I doubt I'll be able to resist not listening to it again until September 24th. We'll see.

So I take it it's not landing in your workout mix, then? :lol

I meant once the album was released! :lol
We move in circles. Balanced all the while on a gleaming razor's edge.
A perfect sphere colliding with our fate. This story ends where it began.

Offline Petruccinator12

Some parts of the riff reminded me of Symphony X.......anyway: Awesome song!!

Offline Ħ

What is the riff @4:30 very influenced by?  Sounds like The DAnce of Eternity but i feel like theres something else that fits even better but i cant remember.

Seems like there are a few callbacks and nods in the song but im having a hard time placing them. 
I was about to say, I think there's a number of callbacks.
"All great works are prepared in the desert, including the redemption of the world. The precursors, the followers, the Master Himself, all obeyed or have to obey one and the same law. Prophets, apostles, preachers, martyrs, pioneers of knowledge, inspired artists in every art, ordinary men and the Man-God, all pay tribute to loneliness, to the life of silence, to the night." - A. G. Sertillanges

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus

I'm guessing that will happen during this album release cycle, but not today.  I could tell you which date I am predicing that will happen, but if I told you, I would have to kill you, so...
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni

For me, sometimes they work, and sometimes they don't.  I know this next comment will make some want to bang their head against a wall (or mine :lol), but I can only imagine how much better a song like this would have been in the early 90s, with the keys creating a wonderful atmosphere from start to finish and giving a song this heavy a great melodic undercurrent, instead of some of Jordan's corny sounds slapping you in the face.

I feel the complete opposite. JR's sounds are what help stop this being a more generic metal song that any band could have written (still great, but much less distinctive). For most of the song he is playing atmospheric pads and piano (mixed low as he is on many of the recent albums), then for the solo section he brings out a chaotic solo that fits the subject matter perfectly. I wouldn't want the song or DT any other way. I actually miss the wackiness, so I'm glad it's back here.

Offline aprilethereal

Some parts of the riff reminded me of Symphony X Megadeth.......anyway: Awesome song!!

FTFY

Offline SethPC

I'm gonna reserve final judgment until I can hear a CD-quality version; the track is too compressed. From what I've heard, though, I like it. If this is the official lead-off single (with video, etc.), it's a good choice. It's not overly proggy and if necessary can be trimmed down a bit without losing much.

I approve of Mangini's lower snare tone on this, as it does make the snare feel "fatter" and a bit more rock-like. I generally like a snare with a good crack to it, but there's nothing wrong with changing your sound a bit to better fit the music. Myung really is hard to hear, but I'm chalking that up to the compression unless it sounds the same on a better version. There were a couple of sections that were very reminiscent of OtBoA, but as a Devin Townsend fanboy, I can't really complain about similarities between songs. ;)

Offline mikeyd23

Love the song!! Awesome and heavy.... Listening to it on loop now. Great to hear some amazing drum parts from MM!!!  :metal

Offline Flacracker

Probably not influenced by anything. Just something that they came up with that sounds maybe like something else.

Offline DT_Aus

Fatal Tragedy. The last guitar part

Offline gentaishinigami

Also, the streams highs are so chopped and its so compressed its really mutilating the song. :(  Beggars cant be choosers i suppose.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
Did anyone else spot the snarling pig from 0:13? :metal :heart

Offline TheGreatPretender

• The Second Dancing Turtle
  • You are reading these words.
Anyone able to finish off the lyrics?

Over and over again
I relive the moment
I bury (I'm bearing?) the burden within
Open wounds hidden under my skin

Pain is real as a cut that bleeds
The face I see every time I try to sleep
Staring at me crying

CHORUS
I'm running from the enemy inside
Looking for the life I left behind
These suffocating memories are etched upon my mind
And I can't escape from the enemy inside

I sever myself from the world
and shut down completely
All alone in my own living hell
overcome with irrational fear

Under the weight of the world on my chest
I buckle and break as I try to catch my breath
Tell me I'm not dying

CHORUS

I'm ??????
I'm a prisoner of regret
Between the flashbacks and the violent dreams
I am hanging on the edge

Disaster lurks around the bend
Paradise came to an end
And no magic pill
can bring it back again

CHORUS

What I'm hearing on that line is, "I'm a burden and a travesty"
"How's that for a slice of fried gold?"

Offline Ħ

I'm guessing that will happen during this album release cycle, but not today.  I could tell you which date I am predicing that will happen, but if I told you, I would have to kill you, so...
O_O Album release cycle? Whaaa?

Offline Joshin U

• On a wrecking ball to view a fashion show

Dammit, Bosk...

Offline Ħ

Yup, noticed that right away. :lol

Offline nicmos

• Having said that...
This is probably their second-most energetic song after Panic Attack if you ask me, but as much as I like Panic Attack, I think this is better because it has more variation in structure and harmony.

I also agree with those who think the keyboards don't totally fit.

This definitely is a good sign for the new album though.  I think if this is their "single"-type material, the non-single stuff should be even better.  I think everyone would agree the singles for DT are never the best songs on the albums.

Offline Nefarius

• Named Nefarius since before it was cool.
Second Listen Reactions:

More bearable than the first time around but still a pretty sad experience. :yeahright

Already knowing the chugga chugga I actually recognized an okay riff this time. Being almost completely unable to discern any lyrics (especially) in the first verse still hurts. Many internal DT references, OTBOA (certain melodies and breaks, guitar solo), BAI (JR sounds and mixed solo section), POW (slower bridge progression and melody), FT/TDOE (riff bits and rhythm pieces here and there).

Will be a fun song live watching some major MM drum aerobics.

Commenting about overly compressed single/preview streams almost always turns out to be the last hope that an album isn't mastered that way, which it sadly turns out to be in most cases.

Greetings...
Nef

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
Yup, noticed that right away. :lol

:tup So did I, I just forgot to mention it in the excitement!

Offline ronrule

= Never Enough - Muse + 6 Degrees Lyrics + Lost Not Forgotten?