Poll

Do you miss Portnoy ?

Yes!
58 (26.9%)
No!
158 (73.1%)

Total Members Voted: 209

Voting closed: August 03, 2013, 11:49:06 PM

Author Topic: Would you like to see Portnoy back in Dream theater?  (Read 88325 times)

Offline TheGreatPretender

• The Second Dancing Turtle
  • You are reading these words.
Re: Would you like to see Portnoy back in Dream theater?
« Reply #840 on: November 08, 2013, 12:37:16 PM »
Right, basically all of that. I would just really like to see what would happen if MP put the kind of energy he did into DT, into another band, and really focused on it and gave it that sort of treatment. Right now, it seems a lot more about the quantity of projects he's doing, and frankly, I think he spread himself a little thin, which was why he had to quit Adrenalin Mob in the first place. And yeah, I think a big part of the problem is that most of these projects are supergroups, which means a lot of these musicians have their "main" band that they mostly dedicated to. Not only that, but being established musicians, means that ultimately, the direction of the music is being driven by them. He even said that about Adrenalin Mob, that a lot of the music was already written and the direction of the band was already established before he came on board.
I would really like to see a brand new band, with MP and a bunch of less established musicians, with him having the majority of the creative control. Just his new 'baby' in a sense.
"How's that for a slice of fried gold?"

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #841 on: November 08, 2013, 12:46:59 PM »
I think it's gotta be hard to maintain creative control when you are not much of a music writer (assuming what is commonly known is true, that he excels at arranging songs and constructing album running orders and whatnot, but not so much the writing of the actual music).

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #842 on: November 08, 2013, 12:56:17 PM »
The problem is, and the different projects have really shown that, as a drummer there's only so much creative influence you can have. Mike pimped AM really hard, and he drew on all the experience he gained with DT, but in the end the project was marred by the lack of good songs. On the other hand, Flying Colors took off, simply because Neal Morse and Steve Morse wrote some really good stuff (and so did Neal Morse and Roine Stolt in TA). MP is probably a good "director", but if the raw ingredients aren't there, there's nothing you can do. As they say, you can't polish a turd.
And that will remain the challenge for him for future project. I don't think he realized how lucky he was to have such an excellent songwriter as JP in DT.

EDIT: Gnah, ninja'd by Kev!
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

« Reply #843 on: November 08, 2013, 01:49:20 PM »
Well, either way, all I'm saying is that while I enjoyed all his recent side projects, I think they were really good at best, but frankly, I wasn't all that impressed, and was over them after 2 or 3 listens.
I don't know if MP thinks this is all great, amazing music, or if he's just having laid back fun with it all, but I think if he did have creative control over a band, he could use his experience at arranging, constructing, producing etc. to steer the music in a very awesome direction.
Like, I'm happy to support MP's current projects, but I miss hearing MP unleashed to the utmost of his own creative freedom as a drummer.

Online Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #844 on: November 08, 2013, 08:35:33 PM »
Well, either way, all I'm saying is that while I enjoyed all his recent side projects, I think they were really good at best, but frankly, I wasn't all that impressed, and was over them after 2 or 3 listens.
I don't know if MP thinks this is all great, amazing music, or if he's just having laid back fun with it all, but I think if he did have creative control over a band, he could use his experience at arranging, constructing, producing etc. to steer the music in a very awesome direction.
Like, I'm happy to support MP's current projects, but I miss hearing MP unleashed to the utmost of his own creative freedom as a drummer.

But isn't that what he wanted to take a break from.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

« Reply #845 on: November 08, 2013, 08:52:47 PM »

But isn't that what he wanted to take a break from.

I always thought it was Dream Theater specifically. Being around the same people for so many years and feeling like he was obligated to record/tour/record/tour every year. Which is understandable, but if he was surrounded by a whole new set of people, that problem shouldn't exist, should it?
Besides, he already asked DT if he could come back, so even if he felt a little suffocated by THEM, that period is clearly over.

Offline Tis BOOLsheet

• Banned
« Reply #846 on: November 08, 2013, 09:54:05 PM »

I think MP is really excited by the Winery Dogs. Their success has been far beyond what anyone could have predicted. They've been playing a number of sold out shows for months now. For a random 3 piece band that wouldn't have existed had Eddie Trunk not suggested Kotzen, I think that's amazing. I think it's highly possible MP has found a home in WD (if not FC as well), should they be able to put out a strong follow-up album. I've seen them twice now-- and FC once-- and they are VERY good. They have great songs-- every one has a strong hook. If they can put out a solid second album, I think they will have something with longevity. They certainly have the lineup.

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
Re: Would you like to see... our secret holy place?
« Reply #847 on: November 08, 2013, 09:59:54 PM »
I'm not a huge fan of The Winery Dogs, but I'm glad Mike has found something that he may be able to stick with.

Offline Daso

• A cultivator of dread
« Reply #848 on: November 08, 2013, 10:05:16 PM »
I do think he's going to stay in The Winery Dogs and perhaps have them running full-time in the future. I mean, at the moment he's focused on the band, but it will be left aside in the future... I don't really know what his plans are, I would guess that for FC2's tour, but then there will be time for The Winery Dogs again and, as said, if the following album is as well received (just as the tour) as the first one, he might be sticking with TWD and leave the other bands as side-projects. Which makes me sad, though, because out of all of what he has done since he left DT, FC is the only project I actually like (I didn't really like TWD, they're objectively good, but not my cup of tea), but FC was always meant to be a side-project and not a full time band, so I guess I'll have to deal with that.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #849 on: November 08, 2013, 10:17:40 PM »
I'm not sure I see the longevity of TWD to be honest. Billy Sheehan and Richie Kotzen have been in a ton of other stuff and have done a lot of solo, and especially Billy has played in front of enormous stadiums. I can see Billy and Richie doing their own thing at some point again.

Offline Daso

• A cultivator of dread
« Reply #850 on: November 08, 2013, 10:30:10 PM »
That's a good point, too. I'm not really cheering for it to be the main focus of all three of them in any case, since I'm not in love with the music, but I do feel there's a certain sense of chemistry and musical belonging from all the members. I don't see a reason why they would call it quits, unless something really time consuming and that promises a lot more success than TWD (that one would be hard to find) comes up. I think that, even if they went back to doing solo stuff or to other projects, they would keep getting back to TWD every now and then.

Offline sylvinception

• His name is Tyler Durden.
« Reply #851 on: November 09, 2013, 06:48:21 AM »
I would tend to say no.
But after the disappointment I had watching the "Live at Luna Park" blu-ray (this lack of punch, it's really dramatic...), I have to say I'm not so sure.

MM for studio albums, but MP for the live shows, is it possible ??? ;D
OH MY GOD, I'M WATCHED!!!

Offline chrisbDTM

• DT.net Member
« Reply #852 on: November 09, 2013, 09:53:44 AM »
after watching Live at Luna Park, I'd like Portnoy's drumset to be back in dream theater. I tolerated the two albums but mangini's drums have no power on this dvd

Offline 425

« Reply #853 on: November 09, 2013, 10:06:52 AM »
After a while with DT12, I definitely miss Mike Portnoy. I love Mangini, but Portnoy is just a more special drummer and more essential part of the DT sound to me. As for whether I want him back... I would only want him back if his heart was fully in it and if he reconciled with James and John Myung.
And if spirit's a sign,
Then it's only a matter of time

Offline PS Head

« Reply #854 on: November 09, 2013, 11:40:32 AM »
I prefer Mike Portnoys style of drumming and drum fills to Mike Mangini...and this to me has become more apparent on DT 12.As much as ive tried to like what MM has done..and ive given it over a month of daily listening,i still think MP has a better feel for the prog side of Dream Theater than MM.That said..i wouldnt want the heavy metal thrash and the devil roars that MP insisted on doing.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #855 on: November 09, 2013, 02:30:06 PM »
I don't see a reason why they would call it quits, unless something really time consuming and that promises a lot more success than TWD (that one would be hard to find) comes up.

Maybe not more successful, but there will be a new TA and a new FC coming out, both of which will necessitate a tour. I think it will be hard to juggle those 3 projects.

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #856 on: November 09, 2013, 02:32:36 PM »
I don't think he's coming back any time soon, but I really miss his stage presence in DT. My wife hates DT, but I put on the Score DVD the other day and she said: "Now that Mike's gone, who can give those nerds some balls and mojo?". While she was obviouslu exaggerating, I think she has a point. MP's drumming has a much more distinctive sound than MM's, at least in.my book.

And yeah, the only guys she knows by name in DT are Petrucci and James, whose voice she absolutely can't stand. But I took her to see The Winery Dogs a few months back  and she loved MP.

Offline Tis BOOLsheet

• Banned
« Reply #857 on: November 10, 2013, 09:57:36 AM »
I don't think he's coming back any time soon, but I really miss his stage presence in DT. My wife hates DT, but I put on the Score DVD the other day and she said: "Now that Mike's gone, who can give those nerds some balls and mojo?". While she was obviouslu exaggerating, I think she has a point. MP's drumming has a much more distinctive sound than MM's, at least in.my book.

And yeah, the only guys she knows by name in DT are Petrucci and James, whose voice she absolutely can't stand. But I took her to see The Winery Dogs a few months back  and she loved MP.

I think this story sorta highlights one of the things I wanted to say about the entire question the OP brought up. MP was an iconic figure in this band. Everyone knows all of the things he did in and for the band since the beginning, but ultimately he was an iconic person. And when you take that sorta person out of a brand/band you associate him with, people will understandably think that something is missing.

I always think about Guns N Roses as a similar thing. Slash was an iconic musician in that band. He had a particular sound and a look-- MP has his own look too, btw. It's easy to understand why millions of fans don't care about the new Guns N Roses without him. Even if Bumblefoot came showed that he was 10x the guitarist, he is still not Slash. Anyone who had some familiarity with GnR knew who Slash was and if you saw them live during the Chinese Democracy tour, you'd instantly notice the tall guy with a top hat, cool shades, long hair, and chains who has been associated with this band for decades was not there. And it's a similar thing with Rob Halford and JD as well.

I totally get why people would miss MP.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #858 on: November 10, 2013, 09:58:27 PM »
MP was/is certainly iconic, but at the end I felt he no longer fit into the band all that much. Just even looks-wise, he's going more for the "trucker joint" look with all his tattoos.

Offline Daso

• A cultivator of dread
« Reply #859 on: November 10, 2013, 11:24:33 PM »
I agree on that. In my perspective, MM is a lot more of a better fit to DT than MP, or at least than MP over the last years, and I mean that more in the personality aspect than musically, although it is also true for the latter. Every single member of the band adores MM and if at any point the band chemistry was lacking while MP was in the band (since- according to what he has stated -he felt the connection had gone downhill or "some members" seemed alienated), that is no longer true.

I think the guys really found the "whole package" with MM. They got one of the best drummers in the world and his personality and attitude blends in perfectly to the band, while he is musically in the same page as all of the other members and he is truly committed to DT. The only complain I partially have about MM is his drum sound, which is partly due to production/mixing/mastering choices.

Offline adastra

« Reply #860 on: November 11, 2013, 12:34:14 AM »
One thing I miss from MP-era is that the albums we're more "versatile" and unpredictable with twists n shit.
ADTOE and DT12 have been pretty bland and not very memorable.  For me at least.

I Didn't like all the stuff that MP did.. The "growling vocals"  weren't my favourite, but at least they were something new. Something that I didn't expect to hear from DT. ADTOE and DT12  Didn't bring anything new to the table.

I like Dream Theater and I like Mike Mangini.  But I feel like the ship has lost it's captain.

Haha :D Peace!
Stay by my side / as I fade / so you can point to the end of my struggle /and the twilight of eternal days / at the low, dark edge of life.

« Reply #861 on: November 11, 2013, 01:45:06 AM »
One thing I miss from MP-era is that the albums we're more "versatile" and unpredictable with twists n shit.

I Didn't like all the stuff that MP did.. The "growling vocals"  weren't my favourite, but at least they were something new. Something that I didn't expect to hear from DT. ADTOE and DT12  Didn't bring anything new to the table.

I like Dream Theater and I like Mike Mangini.  But I feel like the ship has lost it's captain.

The ship's got a new cap'n! He's a pirate!

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #862 on: November 11, 2013, 01:51:29 AM »
The ship's got a new cap'n! He's a pirate!

Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

« Reply #863 on: November 11, 2013, 02:05:49 AM »
:clap:

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #864 on: November 11, 2013, 04:11:51 AM »

I don't think that getting together for an album and a short tour every few years with people from other bands is what he had in mind. Neither Transatlantic, nor Flying Colors were the main band for any of their members. While Transatlantic has existed for one an a half decade, with a 4th studio album on its way, it still looks more like a project than an actual band.

Agreed.  Given what prolific writers Neal and Roine both are, if Transatlantic were an "ongoing band" and not a project, we'd be getting an album from them nearly every year, not having a four-year gap with nothing new by them.
Given that Flying Colors are working on a second album, I would say that both bands are releasing albums at a faster rate than a lot of other bands do (Metallica, Tool, etc.). How often you release an album is hardly the defining feature on whether you count as a "band" or not.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Online Lynxo

• It hurts when I poo
Lynxo cured my bad breath with his penis.

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #866 on: November 11, 2013, 05:05:39 AM »
Holy carp.
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline Sycsa

« Reply #867 on: November 11, 2013, 05:56:26 AM »

I don't think that getting together for an album and a short tour every few years with people from other bands is what he had in mind. Neither Transatlantic, nor Flying Colors were the main band for any of their members. While Transatlantic has existed for one an a half decade, with a 4th studio album on its way, it still looks more like a project than an actual band.

Agreed.  Given what prolific writers Neal and Roine both are, if Transatlantic were an "ongoing band" and not a project, we'd be getting an album from them nearly every year, not having a four-year gap with nothing new by them.
Given that Flying Colors are working on a second album, I would say that both bands are releasing albums at a faster rate than a lot of other bands do (Metallica, Tool, etc.). How often you release an album is hardly the defining feature on whether you count as a "band" or not.
Right, but the defining argument was that neither FC nor TA is the main band for any one of their members, they fit more under the side project category. Metallica, Tool and such also tour way more regularly than the former two.

Sycsa is perhaps the most brilliant and insightful man I have ever encountered.

Offline Tick

• It's time to make a change
  • DTF.org Member
  • Just another tricky day for you
« Reply #868 on: November 11, 2013, 05:59:14 AM »

To each his own for sure!
My view...
I see the remaining members as feeling free, renewed and liberated! A fresh beginning! No ball and chain weighing them down. Mangini has brought a new life to the band. I think they are loving life with MM!
As far the last 2 albums, I absolutely love and embrace them! TOTALLY fresh and moving forward from the direction BC&SL was heading! To never hear the obnoxious Portnoy growl again is pure bliss!

I am a Portnoy fan and continue to support him, (got my Transatlantic tickets in hand!)but this fan thinks the band is soaring right now with out him.
Yup. Tick is dead on.  She's not your type.  Move on.   Tick is Obi Wan Kenobi

Offline Sycsa

« Reply #869 on: November 11, 2013, 06:23:11 AM »
Last night I popped in MP's Budokan commentary. Not only I was able to sit through the whole thing, but I thoroughly enjoyed it. It saddened me to know that I won't be getting stuff like this anymore. It would have been interesting for LALP, it looks so messy, he probably would have picked it to sherds with post-production trivia.

Sycsa is perhaps the most brilliant and insightful man I have ever encountered.

« Reply #870 on: November 11, 2013, 11:36:44 AM »

But can you honestly say, "Mike Portnoy's main band right now are Flying Colors, and everything else like Winery Dogs is just a side project"? That's the thing, before, it was like, "Mike Portnoy is the drummer of Dream Theater. And he does all sorts of other things on the side." But these days, it's impossible to break it down in such a manner.

Offline gm5k

« Reply #871 on: November 11, 2013, 12:14:11 PM »

But can you honestly say, "Mike Portnoy's main band right now are Flying Colors, and everything else like Winery Dogs is just a side project"? That's the thing, before, it was like, "Mike Portnoy is the drummer of Dream Theater. And he does all sorts of other things on the side." But these days, it's impossible to break it down in such a manner.

Actually just saw an interview where he said Winery Dogs is his main band (he wanted to stress that it wasn't a project) and that his other groups were more like side projects.

« Reply #872 on: November 11, 2013, 12:16:41 PM »

Actually just saw an interview where he said Winery Dogs is his main band (he wanted to stress that it wasn't a project) and that his other groups were more like side projects.

I wonder if he decided this after their success. Personally, I thought it was a fairly mediocre record.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #873 on: November 11, 2013, 12:37:23 PM »

No one is saying they aren't bands.  When you said "ongoing band," that implied being a band that is full time, meaning they tour and/or record fairly regularly, something TA does not do.  I think even Portnoy would acknowledge that TA is a side project, not a full-time band.

Offline nightmare_cinema

• I'm Raiderrrrrrrrr
« Reply #874 on: November 11, 2013, 03:05:40 PM »
Late to thread, but nah.

Knowing what we all do about the circumstances surrounding MP's departure, I wouldn't want him to be a part of the band again as things stand, unless for some reason many years down the line things didn't work out with MM and all of the guys had successfully and peacefully reconciled.

ADTOE is one of my favourite Dream Theater albums, but unfortunately Dream Theater 2013 is by far one of my least favourite (possibly second to last just above WDADU).

So the direction they've gone in really isn't to my taste, but I still don't think MP suddenly being in the band again would do anyone any favours. And I'm holding out hope that the next album impresses me.
Every story needs to have an ending, we might as well give up all this pretending and clear the air...