Author Topic: A Year To Forget  (Read 1218 times)

Offline Tick

• It's time to make a change
  • DTF.org Member
  • Just another tricky day for you
A Year To Forget
« on: August 01, 2013, 08:03:55 AM »
I have posted about more loss of loved ones this year that anything else. I was just saying to my wife yesterday morning...

"All the death we have experienced this year has gone deep into head and I am so distraught and paranoid. I have never been like this but now I dream of it, and it weighs heavily on me daily."

I made this statement as we were on our way to an amusement park yesterday morning. My wife and I, our daughter and two of her friends headed out for a day of fun.

At 5 pm my wife's cell phone starting going nuts with calls coming in and voice mails being left. She answered once and it was too noisy to hear. She later went to a quiet place to return some calls.
She found out some news she would not speak of from the park.

I knew something was very wrong as we traveled home. She drove for an hour saying nothing, with music playing softly.
When we arrived home she sat myself and my daughter on the couch and turned first to my 12 year old with tears in her eyes. Brianna said, what is it mom, just say it. She composed herself and said..."Grandma Caroline died"
I nearly fell off my couch and my daughter went to pieces.

This woman was a extremely intricate part of my wife's life. She was her closest friend and very much a mom to her. She was grandma to my daughter. My daughter loved her deeply. She was actually in the delivery room when Bri was born.
She was a godly woman who impacted so many lives. This is devastating news for us at a time I can't process any more death.

I'm sorry for spilling here but I am truly at a loss to even know how to process my emotions anymore.
Yup. Tick is dead on.  She's not your type.  Move on.   Tick is Obi Wan Kenobi

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
Re: A Year To Forget
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2013, 08:16:28 AM »
Sorry for your family's loss, tick. I remember not long ago your thread about losing someone close to cancer, so it's been a tough year. Stay strong, buddy.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2013, 08:20:53 AM »
Too much loss. I can't even begin to imagine. Vent anytime here my friend.

Life is not fair. 
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2013, 08:22:43 AM »
Words cannot express to you and your family Tick on this tough year and loss.  I know that your family and daughter will truly miss her.  Honor her that way you and your family know.  Love, great memories and be with each other during this hard time.  My family's thoughts are with you and your family.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2013, 08:28:11 AM »
Sorry for your family's loss, tick. I remember not long ago your thread about losing someone close to cancer, so it's been a tough year. Stay strong, buddy.

Couldn't have said it better.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2013, 09:22:49 AM »
Prayers are all I can offer to you and your family and they are heartfelt and true. Just hold on to one another tightly and maintain the Faith you've proclaimed to have, and you'll navigate this rough patch of life...together with all those who love you and those who you love.

...... Vent anytime here my friend.

Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline sueño

• How Dare I Be So Beautiful?
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2013, 10:34:23 AM »
I am so sorry for your loss, Tick.  :(

Warm thoughts going your way.  Your family will be a blessing to each other during these times.

2013 IS a year to forget for me and many I know...lots of loss and re-groupings.  It's good to have a place to vent.
"We spend most of our lives convinced we’re the protagonist of the story, but we rarely realize that we’re just supporting characters in everybody else’s story. Nobody thinks about you as much as you do."

Offline Sketchy

• DTF.org Member
  • More tea is required.
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2013, 10:42:27 AM »
Ouch, sorry to hear it dude. I hope  the rest of the year looks up a bit.
This is as exciting as superluminal neutrinos. The sexy thing is that this actually exists :D

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2013, 10:49:00 AM »
Sorry to hear that, I can only imagine how painful it is to lose so many close people within a relatively short period of time :(

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2013, 11:00:25 AM »
damn :(
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline Tick

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2013, 06:23:11 AM »
Candlelight vigil for Casey last Friday. Beautiful but tough night.
Carolyn laid to rest yesterday. Brutally emotional day for my family. Now the healing begins.
No more death please!!!

The good news is I am 2 days away from hoping in our Honda Odyssey with my wife and daughter and heading out to North Carolina and Virgina Beach for a week. The timing for a vacation couldn't be better.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2013, 06:55:36 AM »
Hang in there bro.  Hope the vacation starts the healing process for you and the Tick family too.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline puppyonacid

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #12 on: August 08, 2013, 07:04:37 AM »
In my own experience, I've come to understand that tragedy comes in clumps.

It is better in a sense as you wouldn't want to go through life with a consistent and constant overhang of these things happening. Admitedly though, others do get more than their fair share.

As you are going through a very very testing and tragic period in yours and your families life, I can encourage you by saying that you will come through it and be better people for it. You will learn so much about yourselves and each other and gain a fresh perspective that will make your world that bit more real and subsequantly more beautiful.

I can say this because I have been there.

Just one day at a time.
This post was brought to you by Puppyonacid and subsequently ignored.

DTF's resident thread killer

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bryce & Kylie's Grandpa
« Reply #13 on: August 08, 2013, 08:36:47 AM »
I'm really sorry to hear this, Tick.   :(

Offline Neon

• DT.net Member
  • Beware the Jabberwock, my son...
« Reply #14 on: August 19, 2013, 09:18:14 PM »
I just now saw this thread.  I'm sorry to hear man.  Sounds like it's been a real shit year for you. 

(And if you can't vent here, where can you vent?)
I'd kill myself for you.
I'd kill you for myself.

Offline Tick

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #15 on: August 20, 2013, 09:09:00 AM »
I just now saw this thread.  I'm sorry to hear man.  Sounds like it's been a real shit year for you. 

(And if you can't vent here, where can you vent?)
Thank you. It has been a very trying year. Its to a point where if a friend calls me and wants me to call them back, if they didn't say why they are calling I get paranoid something else has happened.

Offline Akasha

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #16 on: August 20, 2013, 09:19:06 AM »
Just hang in there my friend. All of us are here for you. :heart

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bryce & Kylie's Grandpa
« Reply #17 on: August 20, 2013, 01:01:01 PM »
 :(   Tick, dude, I'm really sorry for your loss, brother.  I feel especially bad for your daughter.  Man, reading about this brought it all back for me....when we lost my maternal grandmother.  Very, very difficult time.  Lots of sadness.  The only thing I can offer is, we all got through it somehow.  You and your family will get through it as well.  Just stick together and lean on each other.

Offline Tick

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #18 on: August 20, 2013, 01:22:57 PM »
Thank you all for the support! All you can ever do is rally around those you love and try to get through.