Author Topic: Cleaning Out the Closet appreciation thread  (Read 13401 times)

Offline erwinrafael

Re: Cleaning Out the Closet appreciation thread
« Reply #35 on: April 04, 2019, 05:56:50 AM »
The revival of the DT The League tournament made me revisit this again (yes, I just downloaded because we don't have access to this back in '99). Now I am thinking of changing some of my votes. I listened back to back with D/T, and I am really starting to love the no-10-minute Dream Theater.  :lol

Offline DTA

« Reply #36 on: April 04, 2019, 06:40:55 AM »
Even though they had cut it by the time they played in Philly which pissed me off, I'm so glad they cared enough to throw in Don't Look Past Me for the I&W tour. I'm honestly surprised MP never thought to throw it in somewhere as it was pretty much the rarest of live rarities for pre-MM DT (barring Space Dye Vest and You Or Me to a lesser extent). Cleaning Out The Closet should've been an album in its own right as these songs are all pretty damn cool and show an alternate side to DT. I think if they had went ahead with the double album FII, they could've had one disc be a "light" side and one be a "dark" side as the emotional range of the music is wide enough to showcase both pretty equally.

Speak To Me is a top 10 DT song and should be way more popular than it is.

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #37 on: April 04, 2019, 07:05:44 AM »
Speak To Me is ok, although it sounds a bit dated.

To Live Forever, Cover My Eyes, Where Are You Now, and The Way It Used To Be could fit in with the D/T album with some modifications.

Offline Trav86

« Reply #38 on: April 04, 2019, 07:10:42 AM »
I would put it in the top half of DT albums.
Can't we find the minds
to lead us closer to the heart?

Offline pg1067

« Reply #39 on: April 04, 2019, 01:04:03 PM »
I didn't know this existed until years after the fact.  I was familiar with To Live Forever from the I&W tour and from a bootleg tape that someone sent me, which also included Eve.  I have since heard the rest of the songs.

When I first heard TLF, I assumed it was an unfinished song that they were working on and which might show up on the next album -- sort of like Puppies on Acid/The Mirror.  Eve is a cool atmospheric instrumental.

Beyond that, it's a collection of songs that weren't good enough to make it on an album, and five are songs that weren't good enough to make it on one of DT's worst albums.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline PetFish

« Reply #40 on: April 04, 2019, 03:16:31 PM »
Beyond that, it's a collection of songs that weren't good enough to make it on an album, and five are songs that weren't good enough to make it on one of DT's worst albums.

I generally hate this way of thinking, it's very dismissive and arbitrary.  I have a LOT of "b-sides" that I absolutely love from many bands and I'm appreciative of the fact that they've been put out there for us to experience.

For a band like Bon Jovi, who write 30+ songs for every album, for sure there will be some that aren't "good enough" and that's the way those artists work and they have to think about their audience as well.  They may love a certain song but they know the masses probably won't so they scrap it.  But for a band like Dream Theater, who write each song with a purpose, saying something isn't "good enough" just doesn't fly.

Also, the "not good enough" tracks were only cuz of record company meddling, which is why there are so many tracks from this album and not so many (or none at all) from every other album.  Dream Theater write songs to write songs, they aren't going to complete a song and then say "meh, not good enough", mostly since they aren't pandering to a popular crowd.  They know what they want and what they want to present to the listener whereas the popular bands need to write "hits".

I'm grateful for the CotC CD as well as the FII demos.  There's great stuff on them.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #41 on: April 04, 2019, 04:21:49 PM »

I generally hate this way of thinking, it's very dismissive and arbitrary.  I have a LOT of "b-sides" that I absolutely love from many bands and I'm appreciative of the fact that they've been put out there for us to experience.

. . .  But for a band like Dream Theater, who write each song with a purpose, saying something isn't "good enough" just doesn't fly.

Also, the "not good enough" tracks were only cuz of record company meddling, which is why there are so many tracks from this album and not so many (or none at all) from every other album.

There are a few things here, but I'll start with the whole "record company meddling" thing.  That's simply not true.

When DT finished the Awake tour in early August 1995, they did what most bands do.  They started writing songs for their next album (in addition to whatever "side projects" might have been happening at the time).  They wanted to get into the studio to start recording, but the record company wasn't ready to green light that, so they kept writing, etc.  This is pretty much the opposite of "meddling."  They finally got to the studio in June 1997 and, because they had written enough material for a double album, they asked the record company if they could do it, and the record company said no.  That's not "meddling" either.  Whatever you or I or anyone else thinks about the record company's decision, it would be hard to make a principled argument that it was an unreasonable decision.

With that decision having been made, the band (not the record company) had to decide what songs to include and what songs not to include.  To quote MP:  "Rather than looking at which we thought were the weakest, we went for what we knew were the strongest.  We knew Lines in the Sand, Trial of Tears, New Millennium, Peruvian Skies and Just Let Me Breathe were the strongest pieces that had to make the record.  Initially, the record was only going to have 9 tracks - originally Anna Lee and You Not Me weren't going to be on the record.  So those two tracks were going to be leftovers, and then it turned out with all the chopping that Kevin Shirley was doing to the songs, we had a little more room to fit them.  So we ended up squeezing those in - those were the two that were backup choices."

Whether it was approached as "which songs are the strongest and should be included?" or "which songs are the weakest and should be excluded?" it was the band -- and no one else -- who decided that RTK, WAYN, TWIUTB, CME and STM were not strong enough (or were too weak) to be included.

But the mere fact that they were selected as the songs that got excluded isn't what makes them not good songs.  They're simply not good songs, and the fact that they were excluded from FII (which I regard as one of DT's worst albums) bears that out.  Of course, one could disagree (and I would say that one or two might be better than "New Millennium," but that's not saying much since I think that's the worst song on FII).

In other words, I'm not saying that these songs aren't good solely because they were excluded from FII.  Rather, I'm pointing to their exclusion as an indicator of just how not good they are and, because of that, Cleaning out the Closet isn't something that I have any significant regard for.  That the songs were written "with a purpose" doesn't resonate with me at all.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline ZirconBlue

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #42 on: April 04, 2019, 04:39:23 PM »
The fact remains that several of those songs would have been on the album had the record company not prevented them from going into the studio when they wanted to.  Or, had they been allowed to release a double album, all of them would have been on it.  And in either case, they would have been deemed "good enough" for inclusion by the band.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #43 on: April 04, 2019, 05:07:28 PM »
Not to mention that the above isn't accurate in that it does not present the entire picture.  The label specifically nixed certain songs.  That isn't the band deciding.  That is pretty much the definition of the label "meddling." 
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Dedalus

« Reply #44 on: April 04, 2019, 06:45:27 PM »
Cleaning Out the Closet is better than some of the regular albums.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #45 on: April 05, 2019, 10:01:11 AM »
Not to mention that the above isn't accurate in that it does not present the entire picture.  The label specifically nixed certain songs.  That isn't the band deciding.  That is pretty much the definition of the label "meddling."
Which also isn't to mention that the band isn't always the best judge of what songs are best or worst.  Mike Portnoy once said that if the band had been forced to release 6DOIT as a one-disc album, they would have left off Blind Faith and Disappear, which would have sucked.

The songs on COTC aren't inferior because they weren't album tracks.  They just aren't album tracks.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #46 on: April 05, 2019, 10:12:24 AM »

I'm curious where this comes from.  Lifting Shadows (which I've read, but it's been years)?  It just strikes me as odd that, if the label had "specifically nixed certain songs," the band member who has been most vocal and critical about label interference with FII wouldn't mention it when answering a direct question about how they determined which songs ended up on the album.

The fact remains that several of those songs would have been on the album had the record company not prevented them from going into the studio when they wanted to.  Or, had they been allowed to release a double album, all of them would have been on it.  And in either case, they would have been deemed "good enough" for inclusion by the band.

The first sentence is not a fact; it's speculation.  Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't the A Change of Seasons EP created, in part, because the label didn't green light a full album?  If that's right, then, if they had started recording the follow up to Awake "when they wanted to," we'd have no ACOS EP, and the song ACOS would have been on the follow up album.  You'd then have another 45-50 minutes of material.  While I don't know the order in which songs for FII were written, I believe the demos of RTK, WAYN, TWIUTB, CME and STM were done between March 1996 and February 1997.  If FII had been ACOS plus the first 45-50 minutes of other material from FII, then it probably would have been a very different and, IMO, a much better album.

And yes, if, after making the band wait, the label had allowed DT to make a double album, all of the songs (probably) would have been on the album (along with some form of the mess that was Metropolis Part 2).  In my view, that would have made FII worse than it is, and we wouldn't likely have SFAM.

Let's just leave it at the following:  IMO, the five songs mentioned above and DLPM are not very good songs and their exclusion from any DT album is well-warranted.  I gave my opinions above on TLF and Eve, so, in my view, Cleaning out the Closet is nothing more than a collection of subpar DT material.

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #47 on: April 05, 2019, 10:49:08 AM »
Which also isn't to mention that the band isn't always the best judge of what songs are best or worst.  Mike Portnoy once said that if the band had been forced to release 6DOIT as a one-disc album, they would have left off Blind Faith and Disappear, which would have sucked.

The songs on COTC aren't inferior because they weren't album tracks.  They just aren't album tracks.

Hmmm, the 2 James wrote lyrics for . . .

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #48 on: April 05, 2019, 11:56:54 AM »
When DT finished the Awake tour in early August 1995, they did what most bands do.  They started writing songs for their next album (in addition to whatever "side projects" might have been happening at the time).  They wanted to get into the studio to start recording, but the record company wasn't ready to green light that, so they kept writing, etc.  This is pretty much the opposite of "meddling."
The band was not given the green light because the label specifically told them they didn't hear any "hits." This was after the band had also failed to produce any "hits" like PMU when they did Awake. So instead of green-lighting them as they basically did with Awake, they pretty much forced the band to keep writing more material in the hopes that the elusive "hit" would appear. I know this because I heard it from MP first hand. That, my friend, is the definition of label meddling. Had the label not gotten involved, then you can be sure that Trial of Tears, Cover My Eyes, Hollow Years, New Millennium and Speak to Me would never have even been written.

They finally got to the studio in June 1997 and, because they had written enough material for a double album, they asked the record company if they could do it, and the record company said no.  That's not "meddling" either.
Correct.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't the A Change of Seasons EP created, in part, because the label didn't green light a full album?
No. It was the bone the label threw the band because they had previously agreed to let them record ACoS down the road after not permitting them to include it on IaW. It was never intended to be a full length release. And it was recorded while the band was still in the middle of promoting Awake (they had planned to do another full run through North America in 1995, but it never happened).

Additionally, the fans on the Ytsejam Mailing List learned about ACoS courtesy of a bootleg of the '93 Limelight gig circulating and petitioned the label to allow the band to record and release it. While the petition wasn't the only thing, it gave the label the extra encouragement to allow them to record and release it. The band had also figured that they would add something more, and their options were to include TLF and Eve, select tracks from the Uncovered gig, or record a couple of new tracks (likely RtK and WAYN, since they were the first ones completed). They rejected TLF and Eve since they wanted the ACoS EP to be strictly from the "new" line up, and decided to save the new songs for their next full length release. And they figured that the Uncovered gig would become the new holy grail that the fans would be pining for (as ACoS had been), so they chose selections from that show to fill out the rest of the release.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2019, 12:26:48 PM by Setlist Scotty »
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #49 on: April 05, 2019, 12:22:17 PM »
Scotty, thanks for clearing some things up.

The fans on the Ytsejam Mailing List learned about ACoS courtesy of a bootleg of the '93 Limelight gig circulating

I still have my cassette of that show.  Someone I met through Prodigy in late '93 sent it to me.  That brings back memories!

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #50 on: April 06, 2019, 09:45:34 AM »
When DT finished the Awake tour in early August 1995, they did what most bands do.  They started writing songs for their next album (in addition to whatever "side projects" might have been happening at the time).  They wanted to get into the studio to start recording, but the record company wasn't ready to green light that, so they kept writing, etc.  This is pretty much the opposite of "meddling."
The band was not given the green light because the label specifically told them they didn't hear any "hits." This was after the band had also failed to produce any "hits" like PMU when they did Awake. So instead of green-lighting them as they basically did with Awake, they pretty much forced the band to keep writing more material in the hopes that the elusive "hit" would appear. I know this because I heard it from MP first hand. That, my friend, is the definition of label meddling. Had the label not gotten involved, then you can be sure that Trial of Tears, Cover My Eyes, Hollow Years, New Millennium and Speak to Me would never have even been written.

They finally got to the studio in June 1997 and, because they had written enough material for a double album, they asked the record company if they could do it, and the record company said no.  That's not "meddling" either.
Correct.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't the A Change of Seasons EP created, in part, because the label didn't green light a full album?
No. It was the bone the label threw the band because they had previously agreed to let them record ACoS down the road after not permitting them to include it on IaW. It was never intended to be a full length release. And it was recorded while the band was still in the middle of promoting Awake (they had planned to do another full run through North America in 1995, but it never happened).

Additionally, the fans on the Ytsejam Mailing List learned about ACoS courtesy of a bootleg of the '93 Limelight gig circulating and petitioned the label to allow the band to record and release it. While the petition wasn't the only thing, it gave the label the extra encouragement to allow them to record and release it. The band had also figured that they would add something more, and their options were to include TLF and Eve, select tracks from the Uncovered gig, or record a couple of new tracks (likely RtK and WAYN, since they were the first ones completed). They rejected TLF and Eve since they wanted the ACoS EP to be strictly from the "new" line up, and decided to save the new songs for their next full length release. And they figured that the Uncovered gig would become the new holy grail that the fans would be pining for (as ACoS had been), so they chose selections from that show to fill out the rest of the release.

I'd love an official release of that Ronnie Scott's gig, but it's doubtful that would ever happen for a number of reasons, not the least of which is getting everyone involved to sign off on it.

Offline PetFish

« Reply #51 on: April 08, 2019, 11:15:55 PM »
But the mere fact that they were selected as the songs that got excluded isn't what makes them not good songs.

To me it feels like you don't even give things a chance simply based on "they didn't make the final cut" and just assume it's all terrible.  Maybe not but that's how you're coming across to me and if it is the case then you're denying yourself at least an opportunity to like/love something due to your headspace in that you won't like it.  Period.  Is every track that makes the final product, for any band, a good track?  Absolutely not and it's ridiculous to even think that way just like it's ridiculous to think that b-sides aren't any good cuz they're b-sides.

1)  Why can't a band have, say, 9 great songs but there's only enough room for 7?  Does that mean the 2 they are forced to leave off aren't any good simply cuz they *had* to make a decision?

2)  If Falling Into Infinity *had* been a double album and ALL the tracks "made" the final cut, would you know which ones were terrible or would your mindset have put you in a better place since, technically, nothing was left off?

If I had the same attitude of "it didn't make it so it automatically sucks" then I would never know my all-time favorite LaBrie track "Understand" which is a b-side from Elements of Persuasion.  Should I deny myself this opportunity based purely on the notion that it didn't make it so it's automatically not worth it?  I could make my own greatest hits of Bon Jovi b-sides that I would way rather have had make the final releases over the years.

TL;DR - If you've made an effort and listened to all the b-sides and conclude that they suck, then so be it, but it really seems like you're not even trying cuz you think they're automatically no good since they aren't on the final product.

My final statement is that just cuz it didn't "make the cut" doesn't mean it's not any good and could even be great but it's all up to the listener and not black and white.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #52 on: April 09, 2019, 10:21:14 AM »
But the mere fact that they were selected as the songs that got excluded isn't what makes them not good songs.

To me it feels like you don't even give things a chance simply based on "they didn't make the final cut" and just assume it's all terrible.  Maybe not but that's how you're coming across to me

Not sure where you're getting that, but it's not the case.  Indeed, my comment above that you quoted demonstrates exactly the opposite:  "the mere fact that they were . . . excluded isn't what makes them not good songs."  In other word, they're not substandard songs because they were excluded.  Rather, they're substandard songs . . . and they were excluded.

1)  Why can't a band have, say, 9 great songs but there's only enough room for 7?  Does that mean the 2 they are forced to leave off aren't any good simply cuz they *had* to make a decision?

The answer to the second question is obviously no.  However, chances are that the two excluded songs will be the songs that whoever makes the decision considers to be the weakest songs.

2)  If Falling Into Infinity *had* been a double album and ALL the tracks "made" the final cut, would you know which ones were terrible or would your mindset have put you in a better place since, technically, nothing was left off?

I'm not sure what all the stuff about "mindset" means, but I wouldn't have liked the excluded tracks any better if they had been included on what is, IMO, an album that is, at best, mediocre.  For example, I think "New Millennium" is every bit as bad as "Where Are You Now."

If you've made an effort and listened to all the b-sides and conclude that they suck, then so be it

As I wrote in my last post in this thread on this subject (on 4/5/19):  "Let's just leave it at the following:  IMO, the five songs mentioned above and DLPM are not very good songs and their exclusion from any DT album is well-warranted.  I gave my opinions above on TLF and Eve, so, in my view, Cleaning out the Closet is nothing more than a collection of subpar DT material."

but it really seems like you're not even trying cuz you think they're automatically no good since they aren't on the final product.

I'm really at a loss as to where you're getting this because, as noted above, I've written exactly the opposite.  It's to the point that it seems like you're making an effort to deliberately misconstrue what I write.  Please point me to anything I've written where I've said that I didn't bother to listen to these songs and am passing judgment solely on the basis that the songs got excluded from FII.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #53 on: April 09, 2019, 10:22:41 AM »
Interesting post PF. I admit I am probably a little biased when thinking of a track as a B-Side or one left off an album. If it is good and you like it, put it on the damn album! But I know it isn't that simple when I stop to think about it.

Not sure I've ever heard JLB's Understand. Will have to check it out.

To quote MP:  "Rather than looking at which we thought were the weakest, we went for what we knew were the strongest.  We knew Lines in the Sand, Trial of Tears, New Millennium, Peruvian Skies and Just Let Me Breathe were the strongest pieces that had to make the record.

Yikes! PS, NM and JLMB were among he "strongest pieces?!"
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline fibreoptix

« Reply #54 on: April 09, 2019, 11:21:37 AM »
Man, Cover My Eyes would have made a much better second track than YNM.

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #55 on: April 09, 2019, 11:24:49 AM »
Cover My Eyes is  :metal

Offline DTA

« Reply #56 on: April 09, 2019, 11:59:38 AM »
Cover My Eyes might be the most straight-ahead pop song they've ever done and it's awesome. Along with Speak To Me, I actually like the Rotterdam "Unplugged" version better.

Offline TheGreatPretender

• The Second Dancing Turtle
  • You are reading these words.
« Reply #57 on: April 09, 2019, 12:01:21 PM »
I'm not a huge fan of Cover My Eyes, probably my least favorite of the songs that didn't make the cut, but it's still better than a few of the songs on FII.
"How's that for a slice of fried gold?"

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #58 on: April 09, 2019, 02:29:41 PM »
Speak to Me is amazing.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #59 on: April 09, 2019, 08:59:00 PM »
Gave some of these songs a listen again in the spirit of this thread. They are not songs I listen to often, and not because they are "retired favorites."

Cover My Eyes - Better than I remembered, but falls off after the second verse. First half is pretty good, nothing special
Speak to Me - Good song, no problem with it not making the album though
The Way It Used to Be - Better than I remembered but not by much. Still cutting room floor material
Where Are You Now - As bad as I remembered it being
Raise the Knife - First heard this on Score so that version always plays in my head over the demo version. Makes it harder to judge since I really enjoy the Score version.

In all, these are generally worse than the best songs on FII and better than the worst. Nothing that would have noticeably changed my opinion of the album either way.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline PetFish

« Reply #60 on: April 09, 2019, 10:12:39 PM »
Words.

Sometimes we get lost trying to explain stuff on the Internet so let's just agree to disagree or just say we don't understand each other and still be friends.
 :P  :P  :P  :P  :P

Interesting post PF. I admit I am probably a little biased when thinking of a track as a B-Side or one left off an album. If it is good and you like it, put it on the damn album! But I know it isn't that simple when I stop to think about it.

Thanks, not sure if I was able to get my feelings across.  I just feel like if you go into something with a preconception whether it's music or movies or books or whatever, positive or negative, you're crippling yourself.  If you think something is going to be good and end up not liking it you're even more disappointed.  If you think something will be bad you might dislike it no matter what happens cuz you're already in that mindset.  I don't even want people telling me I'm going to love a movie.

Not sure I've ever heard JLB's Understand. Will have to check it out.

PM me if you can't find it.  It's a really chill and beautiful song with probably the tastiest mellow guitar solo by Marco Sfogli that I've ever heard.  I remember seeing a Youtube video of Marco just playing it for James in the studio, not even recording yet, and James going crazy over it but I can't find the video.

This song, Understand, is a perfect example of what I'm trying to get across and I'm at least glad it was fully recorded and mixed and I was able to stumble upon it and now it's one of my all-time faves from any band.  I need to remember to ask James what the thought process was in omitting this one from the official release.

Yikes! PS, NM and JLMB were among he "strongest pieces?!"

But MP makes a great statement here in that instead of thinking or having the mindset that something is "weak" or "weakest" try being positive and choose which are the "strong" ones.

Offline silentmac6

• DT in SH
« Reply #61 on: April 10, 2019, 06:09:25 AM »

Agreed. If I remember correctly from "Lifting Shadows", JP was seriously miffed about having songs rejected. It hadn't happened to him before.
COTC is a great snapshot into what could have been. I always loved To Live Forever but prefer the live Rotterdam version, and likewise RTK on Score.
I know perfect's not for real... I thought we might get closer

Offline PetFish

« Reply #62 on: April 10, 2019, 11:05:50 PM »
A new perspective:

Instead of thinking the b-sides weren't good enough, think of them as the ones DT wrote that the LABEL meddled with and/or rejected.  So, essentially, most of CotC is more indicative of what DT wanted for the official release than the official release was which means the official FII release is ACTUALLY mostly the rejected songs as rejected by DT.

Offline TheGreatPretender

• The Second Dancing Turtle
  • You are reading these words.
« Reply #63 on: April 11, 2019, 07:42:01 AM »
Can anyone explain to me why the COTC demos sound the way they do?
Did they actually re-record the songs for them to sound so clean and polished? Because if you listen to the actual FII demos, it's immediately noticeable how rough and "demo-ish" they sound. So I was just wondering what they had to do to make them sound as good as they do on COTC.
"How's that for a slice of fried gold?"

Offline pg1067

« Reply #64 on: April 11, 2019, 10:14:08 AM »
Sometimes we get lost trying to explain stuff on the Internet so let's just agree to disagree or just say we don't understand each other and still be friends.

Ok.

A new perspective:

Instead of thinking the b-sides weren't good enough, think of them as the ones DT wrote that the LABEL meddled with and/or rejected.

Except that Scotty explained that 2 of the 5 songs wouldn't have been written had the label.  Extrapolating from what Scotty wrote, had the label not intervened in the creative/writing process, FII would have included "Raise the Knife," "Where Are You Now" and "The Way It Used to Be" and would not have included "Trial of Tears," "Hollow Years" and "New Millennium."  Swapping out NM for any of RTK, WAYN or TWIUTB wouldn't have made any difference to me because I regard NM as the worst song on the album.  However, I regard TOT and HY as either the two best or two of the three best songs on the album, so losing those two in lieu of to of the rejected songs would have made FII markedly worse in my opinion.

As I've said now multiple times, I simply don't like CME, STM, RTK, WAYN or TWIUTB, and that opinion has nothing to do with the songs' status as "b-sides" or rejects or whatever.

So, essentially, most of CotC is more indicative of what DT wanted for the official release than the official release was which means the official FII release is ACTUALLY mostly the rejected songs as rejected by DT.

I think we can safely assume that JP would not agree with this, and I'm not sure even MP would agree.  What songs on FII were "rejected by DT"?  I can't think of a single one.

I'll also preface this by saying that, in my view, (1) the best songs on FII (in the order that they appear on the album), are You Not Me, Hollow Years, Hell's Kitchen, Anna Lee and Trial of Tears; and (2) You Not Me is notably better than You or Me.

Again, assuming the accuracy of what Scotty wrote, and factoring in MP's statement that, "originally Anna Lee and You Not Me [or You or Me] weren't going to be on the record," it sounds like a meddle-free FII would have looked something like this:

1. Raise the Knife
2. Where Are You Now
3. The Way It Used to Be
4. Peruvian Skies
5. Burning My Soul (with Hell's Kitchen middle section)
6. Lines in the Sand
7. Take Away My Pain
8. Just Let Me Breathe

In my opinion, that would have been a terrible album.

According to Scotty, the label rejected the first three songs, so they got dropped and replaced by Trial of Tears, Hollow Years and New Millennium.  Coupled with Hell's Kitchen becoming a separate song, that "meddling" massively improved the album IMO.  Again, according to MP, Kevin Shirley's "chopping" gave them room to squeeze in You Not Me (which had, by then, evolved from "You or Me") and Anna Lee.  That's more improvement, and I find it notable that, when presented with 10 1/2 minutes of "squeeze" room, they chose AL and YNM, not Cover My Eyes or Speak to Me.

My understanding from everything I've read is that Metropolis Pt. 2 was not part of the original plan, which presumably means that the double album idea was also not part of the original plan.

All that being said, while I can appreciate how frustrating the label's meddling was, IMO, it resulted in vastly better end product.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #65 on: April 11, 2019, 10:39:31 AM »
To me, it resulted in a "better" product, but not a "vastly better" one.  If I had been the one in charge of making the final decision after everything had been written, my track list would have looked something like this, trying to compromise and take into account both my own personal tastes and what the band felt strongly about:
-New Millenium
-You Not Me
-Peruvian Skies
-Hollow Years
-Burning My Soul
-Hell's Kitchen (but maybe rework LITS a bit to keep some of it as an intro)
-Lines in the Sand
-Just Let Me Breathe
-Anna Lee
-Trial of Tears

And with the space feed up, put in Raise the Knife and two of the others (whichever ones fit).  That eliminates the three weakest tracks and replaces them with something better.

And, yes, a double album with Metropolis II was part of the original plan. 

THAT would be better than either the original or what we got.  But at the end of the day, what we got is still a good album, and thanks to the band, we got to hear all of those songs that did NOT make it, so it ultimately worked out the best way possible for all of us.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2019, 12:10:29 PM by bosk1 »
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #66 on: April 11, 2019, 11:15:08 AM »
Can anyone explain to me why the COTC demos sound the way they do?
Did they actually re-record the songs for them to sound so clean and polished? Because if you listen to the actual FII demos, it's immediately noticeable how rough and "demo-ish" they sound. So I was just wondering what they had to do to make them sound as good as they do on COTC.

The COTC release was remastered by their studio engineer at the time.
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #67 on: April 11, 2019, 02:54:11 PM »
I'm not a huge fan of Cover My Eyes, probably my least favorite of the songs that didn't make the cut, but it's still better than a few of the songs on FII.
I'd take CME over WAYN, but otherwise, I fully agree with this comment.

According to Scotty, the label rejected the first three songs, so they got dropped and replaced by Trial of Tears, Hollow Years and New Millennium.
Just to clarify, I never said the label rejected the first three songs. Only that they didn't hear a "hit" and essentially forced the band to continue writing more material. Just that fact alone doesn't mean the first three songs (or any other specific songs) would have been automatically dropped from the album.

Again, according to MP, Kevin Shirley's "chopping" gave them room to squeeze in You Not Me (which had, by then, evolved from "You or Me") and Anna Lee.
Not that it will make much of a difference, but actually the original version of BMS (with the mellow intro and most of what became HK) is actually shorter by almost a minute in comparison to the total time of BMS and HK as they appear on the album. If you're referring to all the chopping in general to all the tracks, there really wasn't much extra room created - the demo versions of the 10 tracks that ended up on FII add up to 82 minutes. In any case, just a little more wiggle room was created that would allow for 1 more track to be added on, be it YNM or AL, but the other could've been included without any chopping. ;)

I don't believe it was - certainly it wasn't their plan to do a double album from the outset, even tho they were writing M2. But once they had an excess amount of material because the label kept telling them to write more, then I think the idea came up to do a double album. When that didn't get approved by the label, they still planned on doing another EP release like they did for ACoS, for M2 itself. What would have also appeared on that EP is anybody's guess, since it never happened, but I wouldn't be surprised if a couple of the other "rejected" FII tracks would have ended up on it.
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #68 on: April 11, 2019, 02:58:51 PM »
I don't believe it was - certainly it wasn't their plan to do a double album from the outset, even tho they were writing M2. But once they had an excess amount of material because the label kept telling them to write more, then I think the idea came up to do a double album. When that didn't get approved by the label, they still planned on doing another EP release like they did for ACoS, for M2 itself. What would have also appeared on that EP is anybody's guess, since it never happened, but I wouldn't be surprised if a couple of the other "rejected" FII tracks would have ended up on it.

If that's true, then I stand corrected.  But I thought Mike had said several times that that was the plan from the outset.  I may just have confused that with what the plan became at some point in time.  But I do recall that he was very adamant about wanting a double album at some point in the process.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #69 on: April 11, 2019, 03:09:57 PM »

If that's true, then I stand corrected.  But I thought Mike had said several times that that was the plan from the outset.  I may just have confused that with what the plan became at some point in time.  But I do recall that he was very adamant about wanting a double album at some point in the process.

You guys probably have access to more info than I did, but I always understood that the double album plan arose as a result of the delay in recording, which resulted in them writing more material than could fit on a single disc.

Again, according to MP, Kevin Shirley's "chopping" gave them room to squeeze in You Not Me (which had, by then, evolved from "You or Me") and Anna Lee.
Not that it will make much of a difference, but actually the original version of BMS (with the mellow intro and most of what became HK) is actually shorter by almost a minute in comparison to the total time of BMS and HK as they appear on the album. If you're referring to all the chopping in general to all the tracks, there really wasn't much extra room created - the demo versions of the 10 tracks that ended up on FII add up to 82 minutes. In any case, just a little more wiggle room was created that would allow for 1 more track to be added on, be it YNM or AL, but the other could've been included without any chopping. ;)

I was simply paraphrasing what appears on MP's web site (which, I believe, discusses "chopping" in general):  "Initially, the record was only going to have 9 tracks - originally Anna Lee and You Not Me weren't going to be on the record.  So those two tracks were going to be leftovers, and then it turned out with all the chopping that Kevin Shirley was doing to the songs, we had a little more room to fit them. So we ended up squeezing those in - those were the two that were backup choices."  http://www.mikeportnoy.com/aboutmike/faq/answers/31.aspx#340