Author Topic: Dream Theater song similarities to other works  (Read 24890 times)

Offline Laich21DT

• I AM ERROR.
Re: Dream Theater song similarities to other works
« Reply #70 on: August 02, 2013, 10:54:57 PM »
The Way it Used to Be has some definite similarities to other songs, IMO. The beginning of the guitar solo sounds kind of like the solo to "You Shook Me" by AC/DC, and after the solo, into the outro it sounds a lot like the part right after the solo in "Owner of a Lonely Heart".

Edit: Apparently, I can't type
« Last Edit: August 03, 2013, 09:24:13 PM by Laich21DT »
I've got a plan, it involves pulling up our bootstraps, oiling up a couple of asses, and doing a little plowing of our own...... not gay sex. -Mac, It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia

Offline The Fatal Tragedy

• I'm that "Awesome" guy.
« Reply #71 on: August 03, 2013, 05:23:15 PM »
I'll mention a similarity that I don't think anyone else has noticed before.

"Illusion" by Uriah Heep

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rzkfGW3-QP4 (Specifically starting at 1:02)

"This Is the Life" by Dream Theater

As with the case of "Feed The Macine/BMU, BMD," this is yet another obvious act of plagiarism on ADTOE.

The album should have been called, "A Dramatic Act of Plagiarism."

First off, if you are serious and not joking, you clearly do not understand what plagiarism is.

Second, if you are joking, that is a completely inappropriate joke to make.

Don't start throwing accusations of plargiarism around or you will be shown the door.  That will not be tolerated here.
Whoa! This is a huge goof-up on my part! Extremely sorry! I intended to change the text color of the last two sentences to green (commonly used here on DTF as an indicator of sarcasm) in my initial post.
A terrible proof reading oversight on my part...  :blush
Embrace the days; don't turn away. Life's true intent needs patience.

Karma starts the signal...

Offline Lolzeez

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #72 on: August 03, 2013, 06:55:41 PM »
The Way it Used to Be has song definite similarities to other songs, IMO. The beginning of the guitar solo sounds kind of like the solo to "You Shook Me" by AC/DC, and after the solo, into the outro it sounds a lot like the part right after the solo in "Owner of a Lonely Heart".
I don't really understand the AC/DC comparison but fuck the outro sounds like Owner Of A Lonely Heart...

Offline alexofsweden

« Reply #73 on: September 01, 2013, 08:48:11 AM »
Dunno if anyone posted this...
Peter Gabriel - Across the river...got some Octavarium vibes here

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=aaPRmO87WJQ

Offline Tom Bombadil

• We Do Not Sow
« Reply #74 on: September 01, 2013, 09:30:16 AM »
I've always thought that the keyboard part at :16 of Solitary Shell has a very And You And I by Yes feel.

Offline 425

« Reply #75 on: September 01, 2013, 09:42:21 AM »
I posted about this in another thread but never said it here:

The intro riff of Peruvian Skies sounds very similar to the intro riff of Metallica's Bleeding Me. Load actually came out only a few months before DT wrote Peruvian Skies (going off the dates provided in the liner notes of the FII Demos).
And if spirit's a sign,
Then it's only a matter of time

Offline adamack

« Reply #76 on: September 01, 2013, 09:50:14 AM »
Holy shit...this thread rocks! You guys are awesome for finding these.

The "As I Am" similarity blew me away. And the Michael Jackson/Endless Sacrifice one was new to me!

I always found this part in "The Great Debate" to sound very similar to a Tool song that I can't remember the name of. Or maybe it just sounds like Tool in general:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4z6vpiXQJNA&t=267

From that point onto the "Life to save life" part, I think has a lot of Tool influence. Not saying this is bad...I happen to love that part, and it is inevitable that we will release our influences in our creativity and compositions. Musically speaking, all of what we know comes from what we've heard.

I know there are tons more...trying to think of some I've come across. I think a bulk of them may be other bands who have made songs that sounded like pre-existing DT songs.

Offline adamack

« Reply #77 on: September 01, 2013, 09:52:01 AM »

The intro riff of Peruvian Skies sounds very similar to the intro riff of Metallica's Bleeding Me. Load actually came out only a few months before DT wrote Peruvian Skies (going off the dates provided in the liner notes of the FII Demos).

Good call... I knew the PS riff sounded familiar from something else!

Offline fllnsprrw

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #78 on: September 01, 2013, 10:07:39 AM »
Yeah there are similarities. But I don't see ANY of these as "blatant rip-offs"...Doesn't that by the way carry a negative connotation only someone with an agenda of hatred against DT would use? Like a politician digging dirt on his opponent to turn the tide of the campaign in his favor.
1. Images & Words/ 2. Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence/ 3. Scenes From a Memory

Offline TheLordOfTheStrings

• I make music. I also do other stuff sometimes.
  • EB
« Reply #79 on: September 01, 2013, 10:10:36 AM »
After reading a lot of these posts, I'm not sure many of you actually know what true meaning of the word "plagiarism" is... yes there are similarities in style, and overall sound, but plagiarism is a note-for-note copy.
Check out the latest concept album “III: The Sparrow & The Architect”, released under my project The Circle of Wonders:

https://linktr.ee/STARCOMMANDStudios

Offline adamack

« Reply #80 on: September 01, 2013, 10:12:01 AM »
Oh! This one is in the back of my mind ALL the freakin time! Every time I listen to The Answer Lies Within, it reminded me of Final Fantasy 9... There's a recurring theme in it that... Wow, please tell me I'm not the only one who hears the resemblance:

Version 1:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8BCDdmpI11U

Version 2:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rZOdp9Ma7Zc

Version 3:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TpIdA7KL2Eg

Can't believe I never noticed this!

FF9 is probably tied with III and 7 for my favs in the series btw. Def. one of my favorite games of all time.

PS I gotta send you more riffs for our list...I'm slacking so hard   :-\

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #81 on: September 01, 2013, 10:39:59 AM »

Metallica used a vocal melody similar to the verses of PS in Cyanide, so I guess they're even now :lol

Offline 425

« Reply #82 on: September 01, 2013, 10:53:53 AM »
OH MY GOD I NEVER NOTICED THAT BEFORE!

"There... There it is"
"Sleep... And dream of this"

That's awesome.
And if spirit's a sign,

Offline aprilethereal

« Reply #83 on: September 01, 2013, 11:30:37 AM »
OH MY GOD I NEVER NOTICED THAT BEFORE!

"There... There it is"
"Sleep... And dream of this"

That's awesome.

wat

Offline 425

« Reply #84 on: September 01, 2013, 01:26:00 PM »
? told me about the similarity between the vocal melodies in Peruvian Skies and Cyanide by Metallica. I was very excited because I love both those songs but never noticed the similarity. And then I quoted the lines that share the melody, the former from PS and the latter from Cyanide. And then I noted how awesome it was that they share a melody.

That's "wat".
And if spirit's a sign,

Offline Outcrier

« Reply #85 on: September 01, 2013, 05:59:15 PM »
Now, the contrary...
A Change Of Seasons riff (with a little twist at the end) at 3:48: www.youtube.com/watch?v=mStcPu3ia6o
« Last Edit: September 01, 2013, 06:05:41 PM by Outcrier »
Outcrier: Toughest cop on the force.

Offline Lucien

• James 5:1-5
« Reply #86 on: September 01, 2013, 07:59:29 PM »
3:43 of Haken's Pareidolia

5:22 of Dream Theater's Outcry.

It's a bit surprising...
"Kind of a stupid game, isn't it?" - Calvin

Offline Lucidity

• Patron Saint of Time Signatures
« Reply #87 on: September 01, 2013, 08:30:10 PM »
Now, the contrary...
A Change Of Seasons riff (with a little twist at the end) at 3:48: www.youtube.com/watch?v=mStcPu3ia6o

Wow, that's almost exactly the same, albeit translated into 4/4.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #88 on: September 01, 2013, 08:35:30 PM »

Metallica used a vocal melody similar to the verses of PS in Cyanide, so I guess they're even now :lol

Whoa, I never noticed that one before! (and I'm quite familiar with both albums)
It's only a few coincidental notes though. Maybe I should recheck the rest of DM. :P
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #89 on: September 01, 2013, 11:14:37 PM »
I haven't even heard Death Magnetic in 3 years, because I don't care that much about Metallica (and especially not that album!) nowadays, but I noticed the similarity right away.

Offline ZKX-2099

• The Drifting Drifter
« Reply #90 on: September 02, 2013, 07:49:03 AM »
Gonna reverse things here a bit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vPavhSW4eAQ

That "womp womp" sounds identical to the one in Home.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #91 on: September 02, 2013, 07:55:46 AM »
Gonna reverse things here a bit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vPavhSW4eAQ

That "womp womp" sounds identical to the one in Home.

It's like Home and Forsaken had a bastard child and left it on Helloween's doorstep and rang the doorbell and ran off before they were spotted.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #92 on: September 02, 2013, 10:24:22 AM »
Wow - what a mediocre song :lol

Live now !!!

Offline GasparXR

• Why would I put something personal here?
« Reply #93 on: September 04, 2013, 11:16:05 PM »
My roommate showed me the similarily between Live Now and Forsaken, and I was going to post it. XD I didn't think of Home though.

Offline Outcrier

« Reply #94 on: September 04, 2013, 11:27:09 PM »
Imagine Bjork singing Disappear at 2:05, that part sounds like something she would do.
Outcrier: Toughest cop on the force.

Offline Grizz

« Reply #95 on: September 28, 2013, 06:20:56 PM »
It's like Home and Forsaken had a bastard child and left it on Helloween's doorstep and rang the doorbell and ran off before they were spotted.
I wouldn't put it past them... I mean, Home is all about that adultery and lust, and, well, we all know what Forsaken is like...
"I raised the baby, I changed the baby's diapers.  Whenever the baby had projectile diarrhea, I was there in the line of fire.  I even got a little in my mouth!  I sacrificed so much for my baby.  Now my baby hates me and thinks Mike Mangini is its real father!"

Offline FusedInMetal

« Reply #96 on: February 03, 2016, 05:54:03 PM »
Add Superior "Nothing"from the Younique album, 5 years prior to Train of Thought's "Endless Sacrifice".

Also add the entire story from Kenneth Branagh's 1991 film Dead Again which is almost identical to Scenes from a Memory.

Oh, and Mindcage's "Our Own Devices" 2012 .. the entire premise, plot point, story arc and almost the exact press releases, replacing Steampunk with Medieval... and the label's statement that they were interested in the story because they were primarily a film
And comic con business, but reluctantly launched a music label realizing the scale of the creative properties and potential for gaming, graphic novels, scripts, film and brand merch. Now, entirely shelved since DT has expressed the exact same strategy for basically he same story.

Let's drag it all out into the light, since the band feels entitled to pay 'homage' to all these things. Maybe Peter Gabriel doesn't care, maybe Pink Floyd, Metallica even find it insignificant. But when you step on smaller indie bands putting years and all their money into something special.. let's just say you poked the popcicle stick in the wrong polar bear's ass.  The label may have dropped out, but for every band you stepped on... especially the smaller ones who struggle in this difficult business... you are accountable and if the loopholes in archaic copyright law doesn't get you, Karla will

CREARE YOUR OWN SHIT. That's my venting. I was at NAMM where you picked up our CD and there is a hell of a lot more evidence than that, you are caught red-handed and busted.  Think hard before you make another record, where your reverse engineering, blueprints, theme and story borrowing, and "homage" references come into play. There is quite a trail of artist's work you've pillaged behind you already. People aren't as stupid as you suppose, and not very often does someone stand up and call out these things... in the workplace, music, biz, whatever. You've been called out before. It's only getting LOUDER. Your own interviews, your own ex-drummer... they seem to show that you feel entitled to steal. You aren't.

Dietrick /bttp://www.facebook.com/mindcageband

Online NoseofNicko

« Reply #97 on: February 03, 2016, 07:21:33 PM »
Burzum - War: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=YiHMy6V5Qjc

Dream Theater - A Change of Seasons riff at 1:27

Offline XJDenton

• What a shame
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #98 on: February 03, 2016, 08:50:30 PM »
Add Superior "Nothing"from the Younique album, 5 years prior to Train of Thought's "Endless Sacrifice".

Also add the entire story from Kenneth Branagh's 1991 film Dead Again which is almost identical to Scenes from a Memory.

Oh, and Mindcage's "Our Own Devices" 2012 .. the entire premise, plot point, story arc and almost the exact press releases, replacing Steampunk with Medieval... and the label's statement that they were interested in the story because they were primarily a film
And comic con business, but reluctantly launched a music label realizing the scale of the creative properties and potential for gaming, graphic novels, scripts, film and brand merch. Now, entirely shelved since DT has expressed the exact same strategy for basically he same story.

Let's drag it all out into the light, since the band feels entitled to pay 'homage' to all these things. Maybe Peter Gabriel doesn't care, maybe Pink Floyd, Metallica even find it insignificant. But when you step on smaller indie bands putting years and all their money into something special.. let's just say you poked the popcicle stick in the wrong polar bear's ass.  The label may have dropped out, but for every band you stepped on... especially the smaller ones who struggle in this difficult business... you are accountable and if the loopholes in archaic copyright law doesn't get you, Karla will

CREARE YOUR OWN SHIT. That's my venting. I was at NAMM where you picked up our CD and there is a hell of a lot more evidence than that, you are caught red-handed and busted.  Think hard before you make another record, where your reverse engineering, blueprints, theme and story borrowing, and "homage" references come into play. There is quite a trail of artist's work you've pillaged behind you already. People aren't as stupid as you suppose, and not very often does someone stand up and call out these things... in the workplace, music, biz, whatever. You've been called out before. It's only getting LOUDER. Your own interviews, your own ex-drummer... they seem to show that you feel entitled to steal. You aren't.

Unless you have anything else to contribute other than self promotion and rather tenuous accusations, you will be considered a spam account and banned. First and only warning. This is a fan site, not a place for you to toot your own horn. Do it on your own sites.
"For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for nature cannot be fooled." - Richard Feynman

• EB
« Reply #99 on: February 03, 2016, 08:53:38 PM »

You're pathetic. Fuck you for making an account just to post this bullshit.
Check out the latest concept album “III: The Sparrow & The Architect”, released under my project The Circle of Wonders:

Offline XJDenton

• What a shame
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #100 on: February 03, 2016, 09:31:17 PM »

Moderation is our job, and irrespective of the person's posting history, personal attacks are not allowed by anyone against any member. So this ends now, okay?
"For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for nature cannot be fooled." - Richard Feynman

• EB
« Reply #101 on: February 03, 2016, 11:19:58 PM »

Moderation is our job, and irrespective of the person's posting history, personal attacks are not allowed by anyone against any member. So this ends now, okay?
Understood.

Offline FusedInMetal

« Reply #102 on: February 04, 2016, 04:58:01 PM »

Unless you have anything else to contribute other than self promotion and rather tenuous accusations, you will be considered a spam account and banned. First and only warning. This is a fan site, not a place for you to toot your own horn. Do it on your own sites.

Heard, duly noted and understood. My intent is not to disparage or promote but to contribute to this thread. I'm a long time DT fan and Prog-power aficionado known in most communities online, which is why I signed my rant. I don't mind at all if you feel it should be deleted.  But, I'm disappointed as a DT fan to feel the weight of this thread personally, so I hoped it would illuminate a topic that blind devotion conceals. I, also, looked forward to the new DT with great anticipation. I was just in shock, and apologize to any who I offended.

Having said that, I've made it through Acts I & 2 twice so far, and strictly speaking without bias - I think the themes are grandiose in a Yanni kind of way.. not a fan of the lack of mid and hi end crunch on the guitar, sounds a bit too take .. musicianship is superb, Myung is killer, incredible syncopation and polyrhythmic sections.. top notch, and breathines and overall capturing LaBrie's voice is the finest and most natural on this album since I&W and Awake era.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #103 on: October 14, 2019, 11:19:11 AM »
you are accountable and if the loopholes in archaic copyright law doesn't get you, Karla will

Well, as they say, Karla's a bitch.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #104 on: October 14, 2019, 11:30:12 AM »
I hate Karla!
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.