Author Topic: Dream Theater song similarities to other works  (Read 24831 times)

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Re: Dream Theater song similarities to other works
« Reply #105 on: October 14, 2019, 11:34:16 AM »
Karla Chameleon
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #106 on: October 14, 2019, 11:35:04 AM »
I asked my wife if she wanted to practice Karla Sutra and she slapped my face and demanded to know who Karla was.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online hunnus2000

« Reply #107 on: October 14, 2019, 11:39:11 AM »
 :tup :tup :tup :tup :tup :tup :tup :tup :tup :tup :tup

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #108 on: October 14, 2019, 11:39:50 AM »
I hate Karla!

Carla was kind of annoying in Scrubs.
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Online hunnus2000

« Reply #109 on: October 14, 2019, 11:40:28 AM »
I asked my wife if she wanted to practice Karla Sutra and she slapped my face and demanded to know who Karla was.

I meant =  :tup :tup :tup :tup :tup :tup :tup :tup :tup :tup :tup

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #110 on: October 14, 2019, 11:47:10 AM »
In all seriousness, it is interesting what FusedInMetal claimed - prior to Bask bumping the thread, I don't remember reading about this claim of plagiarism regarding the storyline of The Astonishing. Anybody ever check out Mindcage's album and can comment on it?

Either way, it is curious that The Astonishing and Mindcage's album (assuming the storyline is very similar to that of TA) both borrow from Rush's 2112, which in turn borrowed heavily from Ayn Rand's book Anthem. Altho at least Neil Peart did the right thing and acknowledged her even though he hadn't intended for the lyrics of 2112 to mirror Anthem's story so closely (he recognized it after the fact).
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #111 on: October 14, 2019, 01:07:40 PM »
you are accountable and if the loopholes in archaic copyright law doesn't get you, Karla will

Well, as they say, Karla's a bitch.
I love you so much
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #112 on: October 14, 2019, 01:19:04 PM »
I know.  :iknow:

But seriously, it had to be said.  I literally could not stop my fingers from typing that.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Sycsa

« Reply #113 on: October 19, 2019, 04:14:55 PM »
https://youtu.be/HEoXFbxgZkY - This is a funny one.

Sycsa is perhaps the most brilliant and insightful man I have ever encountered.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #114 on: October 20, 2019, 04:43:03 AM »
Seems no one's mentioned the Blackened vocal melody in TDS.  It's nothing really but always reminds me of it.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #115 on: October 20, 2019, 04:44:07 AM »
That COC As I Am one is amazing.  Never knew that one.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • welcome to the wasteland
« Reply #116 on: October 20, 2019, 02:21:17 PM »
Either way, it is curious that The Astonishing and Mindcage's album (assuming the storyline is very similar to that of TA) both borrow from Rush's 2112, which in turn borrowed heavily from Ayn Rand's book Anthem.
To me, the similarity between The Astonishing and 2112 is like the one between Ayreon's The Human Equation and Seventh Wonder's Welcome To Mercy Falls. The original is famous enough that no one can claim the successor is hoping to plagiarize it and get away with it or something like that. A cursory read through the lyrics of the Mindcage album in question doesn't reveal anything too shocking like outright copied lyrics or several copied characters, though I must admit I haven't played The Astonishing in a while. So... I guess Rush has grounds to sue them both  :rollin

Apparently they only took it to this forum, anyway. A look at their Facebook page reveals... 5 meme posts a day and the metal archives page reveals that this album was their last release, though apparently they haven't disbanded. Hope this hasn't stopped them from releasing more material! Maybe for the past five years they've been writing an epic concept album about hating Dream Theater  :lol

They wouldn't be the first ones after all, this Balkan black metal warrior made a full demo called Dream Theater Is Crap.

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

type : mora : and delete the spaces for a surprise

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #117 on: October 20, 2019, 07:10:15 PM »
this Balkan black metal warrior made a full demo called Dream Theater Is Crap.
LOL! I just listened to it. What kinda garbage is that? I think they should rename it to "Jarac Zlo je Govno"   :loser:
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline Ruba

« Reply #118 on: October 20, 2019, 07:10:39 PM »
These Shrouded Themples by Corrosion of Conformity has pretty much the same intro riff (in different key plus some melody) than As I Am.

CoC's song is 12 years older and I don't recall seeing this similarity mentioned anywhere before.

E: It was apparently mentioned in the first post... anyway I was really surprised when I noticed the similarity and I think CoC made better use of that riff.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2019, 07:24:32 PM by Ruba »

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #119 on: October 20, 2019, 07:20:59 PM »
These Shrouded Themples by Corrosion of Conformity has pretty much the same intro riff (in different key plus some melody) than As I Am.

CoC's song is 12 years older and I don't recall seeing this similarity mentioned anywhere before.
Very interesting - never heard this song (not a CoC fan). It's quite possible that DT drew inspiration from this song for AIA, both for intro as well as the bass line and how the band kicked in, even tho it's not exactly the same.

edit: was just looking through the rest of the thread, and guess what Ruba? The comparison of AIA with the CoC song is mentioned in the initial post!   :biggrin:
« Last Edit: October 20, 2019, 07:36:02 PM by Setlist Scotty »

Offline danoz

« Reply #120 on: October 21, 2019, 12:59:57 AM »
I was listening Rush YYZ the other day and the TCOT came to mind. You guys are are probably all over this already, but this a bit of fun for me to spot the 70s prog link to a DT song from now on!

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • welcome to the wasteland
« Reply #121 on: October 21, 2019, 07:04:18 AM »
I think they should rename it to "Jarac Zlo je Govno"   :loser:
That was almost grammatically correct  :lol

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

type : mora : and delete the spaces for a surprise

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #122 on: October 21, 2019, 01:27:55 PM »
I think they should rename it to "Jarac Zlo je Govno"   :loser:
That was almost grammatically correct  :lol
Google Translate is a beautiful thing!   :biggrin:

Offline Volante99

« Reply #123 on: October 21, 2019, 10:06:42 PM »
Paralyzed has a very similar verse as “The Old Me” by Memphis May Fire

Offline Blokhut

« Reply #124 on: October 22, 2019, 03:20:20 AM »
The Way it Used to Be has some definite similarities to other songs, IMO. The beginning of the guitar solo sounds kind of like the solo to "You Shook Me" by AC/DC, and after the solo, into the outro it sounds a lot like the part right after the solo in "Owner of a Lonely Heart".

Edit: Apparently, I can't type

(The beginning of) TWIUTB has also a U2 - feel

Apart from that, Solitary Shell reminds me of '39 (Queen)