Scale the Summit

Started by Perpetual Change, July 28, 2009, 04:30:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Perpetual Change

Sorry... I didn't see a topic on this so I figured I'd start one.

Got the album today, and I have to say it's fantastic. Imagine and instrumental version of BtBaM's "Colors," and that's pretty much what you have. Can't wait to see 'em Friday now.

skydivingninja

So happy these guys are playing instead of Spock's Beardfish.  Really good stuff.

Nick

I prefer Beardfish, but I have the latest from these guys and it kicks pretty much ass, so I'll be happy to see them too.

OsMosis2259

just checked them out today and im pretty impressed. cant wait to see them live

Crow

Quote from: Perpetual Change on July 28, 2009, 04:30:11 PM
Imagine and instrumental version of BtBaM's "Colors," and that's pretty much what you have. C
I'm sold.
Only part of Colors that I don't like is the vocals :P

Perpetual Change

It's a shame because the vocalists clean voice is really fantastic.

faemir

Just had a listen to these guy's, i'm suitably impressed. But I think I prefer Unexpect from the ProgNation perspective.

reneranucci

I love how they add some melody to the traditional instrumental prog metal, which many other similar bands cannot do (Planet X).

Sigz

I've been listening to them more and more, I'm actually really psyched to see them now. :caffeine:

sonatafanica

QuoteCover art and release date announced! Our new album is titled "The Collective" and will be out March 1st via Prosthetic Records! Here is a link to the Pre-order for the album. You can pre-order just the cd, or a cd/shirt combo with an exclusive album art t-shirt on American Apparel, both for US and over seas!

https://store.prostheticrecords.com/index.php/bands/scale-the-summit

pain of occupation

holy fail, batman. i only ever listened to their last album a small number of times, but im certain i gave it enough listens that i can confidently state it does not sound like colors sans vox.

and while i did enjoy their set(s) during prognation, they certainly didnt warrant me purchasing tix to two shows 800 miles apart...spock's beardfish, however, did justify said multi-purchase.  :sadpanda: 

skydivingninja

I didn't know they had a new album coming out.  More great music this year!

Space Invader

Nick

Awesome news, ordered the bundle along with Monument which I never got around to grabbing.

MetalManiac666

Haven't listened to these guys in ages.  Good to hear that there's a new album coming out soon though.

hefdaddy42

Quote from: BlobVanDam on December 11, 2014, 08:19:46 PMHef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Gadough

I like what little I've heard from these guys....namely, "The Great Plains."

Perpetual Change

Quote from: pain of occupation on January 21, 2011, 06:21:43 PM
holy fail, batman. i only ever listened to their last album a small number of times, but im certain i gave it enough listens that i can confidently state it does not sound like colors sans vox.

Listen, n00b; when I made this thread a year and a half ago, both bands were relatively new to me. Maybe I thought they were more similar sounding then they actually are, but there''s definitely a similarity.

Cool to see they're doing new stuff.

pain of occupation

well atleast you seen the error of your ways.
sometimes even i say things after one listen that i realize arent true after i actually get to know an album/band.

oh, and this noob was registered 2 months befores you.

Perpetual Change

What a n00bish thing to say, n00b. Did you register 2 months before me at the old dreamtheater.net site???

Jamesman42

I loved Craving Dessert Canyons, do want
\o\ lol /o/

Nick

Quote from: Perpetual Change on January 22, 2011, 05:51:05 PM
What a n00bish thing to say, n00b. Did you register 2 months before me at the old dreamtheater.net site???

And you're both n00bs to me.

glaurung

Nick, you're the biggest n00b of them all.

skydivingninja

Whoa now, let's not get ahead of ourselves.  He has Cole and Icy to deal with.  Sure he fails, but we need to think before we declare him the biggest noob of all.

ResultsMayVary

Didn't know they had a new CD coming out. Can't wait to pick up The Collective on March 1st.

pain of occupation

Quote from: Perpetual Change on January 22, 2011, 05:51:05 PM

alright, you win. i'm a newbie, youre a vet.
i was on the old site (and was a little more active back then). im guessing i joined in '01. too burnt out to remember my old name. spidyfingers jm maybe (?)...i know, such a newbie choice for a name. man that site got me into so many new bands; who knows, maybe youre the one that turned me onto Yes...if so, many thanks. :) :metal

Nick

In that case I am the n00b. :lol

Anyways welcome back to the forums, I've changed some of your info accordingly.

pain of occupation

hehe. guess that means i should have an avatar n junk.

pain of occupation

...and to stay 'on topic', i'm letting sargasso sea kick my ass right now  :metal

ugh me; and i'm feeling like an idiot all of a sudden as i can hear some btbam in there  :blush "holy fail" retracted.

plap11

can't wait for the new cd. gonna see them march 24 with fair to midland and periphery. :metal

Perpetual Change

Quote from: pain of occupation on January 23, 2011, 02:02:10 PM
...and to stay 'on topic', i'm letting sargasso sea kick my ass right now  :metal

ugh me; and i'm feeling like an idiot all of a sudden as i can hear some btbam in there  :blush "holy fail" retracted.

:lol

Welcome (back) to the boards!

setrataeso

Gave the album multiple listens today.

Here's my review, spoilers: I like it.
https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=20976.0

Perpetual Change

I only listened to is once, briefly. Thoughts are here:

Quote from: Perpetual Change on March 01, 2011, 12:22:30 AM
Scale the Summit- The Collective: It's just as good as the first two records-- because it is just about the first two records. It's nice sounding as always, but not particularly interesting to my ears. Over the past three records Scale the Summit have spammed us with nice-sounding, echo-y, delay-drowned riffs in 6/8 and semi-clean guitar solos. It's really time for something else now. I don't know. I hate to hate on such a group of cool 'working band' kinda guys, but they really need to mix things up next time.

ResultsMayVary

After a few listens, I still prefer Carving Desert Canyons to The Collective. Will see if my opinion changes over time.

MetalManiac666

Quote from: Perpetual Change on March 01, 2011, 07:46:11 PM
I only listened to is once, briefly. Thoughts are here:

Quote from: Perpetual Change on March 01, 2011, 12:22:30 AM
Scale the Summit- The Collective: It's just as good as the first two records-- because it is just about the first two records. It's nice sounding as always, but not particularly interesting to my ears. Over the past three records Scale the Summit have spammed us with nice-sounding, echo-y, delay-drowned riffs in 6/8 and semi-clean guitar solos. It's really time for something else now. I don't know. I hate to hate on such a group of cool 'working band' kinda guys, but they really need to mix things up next time.

I'm gonna have to disagree.  I'm on my second listen of The Collective right now, and really feel that their music has taken on a darker tone in parts.