Author Topic: Scale the Summit  (Read 19043 times)

Offline adace

Re: Scale the Summit
« Reply #175 on: August 11, 2015, 02:16:32 PM »

Offline YtseCullen

• DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident Jedi.
« Reply #176 on: August 12, 2015, 07:43:50 PM »
Loving this stuff so far. J.C is filling in nicely and I'm loving the production on the album. Tough to say if it'll top Migration for me, but so far it sounds promising!
May The Force Be With You.

Offline adace

« Reply #177 on: September 19, 2015, 07:53:29 PM »
New album's great. Not quite as good as The Migration but a killer record for sure.

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
« Reply #178 on: December 03, 2015, 03:09:31 PM »
In an unbelievable feat, I heard an album in the same year it was released! V is really fantastic. I don't know that it'll top The Migration, but I guess we'll see.

Offline Nel

• Humorless Bore
« Reply #179 on: October 27, 2016, 09:25:33 PM »
So I guess Scale The Summit's down to just Chris now. Mark and J.C. bolted because he couldn't afford to pay them, which other people are saying is b.s. And now people on their reddit and some folks who've had to work at their shows are... not saying very nice things about him.

On the other hand... Tetrafusion is posting again... so...  :metal

Whole situation just seems unpleasant and confusing right now though.
Hire me. I'm talentless but malleable.

Offline Skeever

« Reply #180 on: October 28, 2016, 05:55:31 AM »
Chris seems to have indeed done a very shitty thing.

I guess he feels like him being able to live nicely off STS is better than 4 guys being able to make some money off it while having to do other things as well.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #181 on: October 31, 2016, 10:42:27 AM »
I happened to notice on Facebook that Pat was pointing out that there was only one original member left now and that there is good reason for that. Too bad.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline Mebert78

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #182 on: October 31, 2016, 05:24:38 PM »
Looks like a lot of interesting details directly from the former band members have been compiled here: https://www.heavyblogisheavy.com/2016/10/31/what-happened-to-scale-the-summit-j-c-bryant-on-leaving/
An unofficial online community for fans of keyboardist Kevin Moore (ex-Dream Theater, Chroma Key, OSI):

Offline Nel

• Humorless Bore
« Reply #183 on: October 31, 2016, 07:13:39 PM »
I suddenly don't feel so bad about never getting around to buying Chris' solo album. I always thought they were a tight-knit group. This is really disappointing.

Also, I love how he asked for Mark Michell to back him up on his side of the story in the official statements and Mike didn't even bother. Ouch.

Offline YtseCullen

• DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident Jedi.
« Reply #184 on: October 31, 2016, 07:54:48 PM »
I'm pretty tight with pretty much all of them, except for Chris. He always gave off a vibe of he's better than everyone and was really high on himself, so I never really tried to get close with him. This honestly didn't come as a huge surprise after the way I saw the band react with each other in the past few times I've spent time with them and I'm happy it's starting to come to light. Chris is an undeniable talent, but a shady and manipulative person, and now I can't wait to see what the other guys do next.

May The Force Be With You.

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #185 on: November 01, 2016, 11:47:37 AM »
I'm looking forward to their new material per Charlie Engen's contribution.

just give his band Ideology new album a go:

https://ideologyband.bandcamp.com

Offline Mindflux

• DT.net Veteran
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #186 on: November 01, 2016, 12:35:20 PM »

Offline Mebert78

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #187 on: November 02, 2016, 08:43:50 AM »
One thing that always gave me a weird feeling about Chris was the shirtless selfies he'd occasionally post of himself flexing in the mirror on Facebook and Instagram, both of which he uses to correspond with fans.  I know he's into fitness, but it still struck me as a bit vain, especially considering he's married and a large number of his followers are probably guys.  Also, I feel like he rarely smiles in photos.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2016, 08:50:59 AM by Mebert78 »
An unofficial online community for fans of keyboardist Kevin Moore (ex-Dream Theater, Chroma Key, OSI):

Offline Skeever

« Reply #188 on: November 02, 2016, 11:28:28 AM »
Unfortunately this just spoils the band for me, as it highlights something that has always seemed missing from their music, and that is an emotional "center" rooted in human experience. Chris has always been a really impressive player, and I've always liked how StS seem to pay tribute to natural wonders and the like. But, like others, I've noticed the same thing from Chris' social media presence. Constant bragging about himself, bragging about the things he has, and the things he's able to do. Using social media to constantly promote himself and display his vannity, or show off the cool places he's visiting.

Enough's enough. Where I used to here technically impressive music that is designed to match the wonders of the world, I now just hear a showoff drawing inspiration from things and places because he can't bother to be emotionally invested in others. Harsh, maybe. But the last few weeks have given me such a sour impression of Chris, to the extent where I might not be able to enjoy Scale the Summit at all anymore.

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!
« Reply #189 on: November 02, 2016, 11:33:53 AM »
Didn't know anything about this band's personal dynamics until now.

I like some of their music but a lot of it seems too calculated.
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods

Offline Mebert78

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #190 on: November 02, 2016, 12:03:03 PM »
I saw Chris reply to a fan's concerns about the lineup changes by saying "members leave/quit/get fired from bands all the time and as long as the main songwriter is still there, nothing is over."  To me, that's a dangerous way of thinking.  Fans get attached to lineups.  To think you can just replace people and not have it affect success is a miscalculation, in my opinion.  As band leader, it's important to communicate with your band members and make sure they are all happy and on the same page.  Chris is giving off a big Geoff Tate vibe.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2016, 05:23:47 PM by Mebert78 »

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
« Reply #191 on: November 02, 2016, 02:20:11 PM »
Yeah, Chris isn't really coming off well in most of this.

Oh well. It doesn't really affect my enjoyment of their music.

Offline Nel

• Humorless Bore
« Reply #192 on: March 08, 2017, 11:52:44 PM »
Reposting info from the album release topic. Despite the stuff that went down in October/November, the band's carrying on with album number six, In A World Of Fear, out May 19th, though I think it's just Chris, a drummer he hired, and a slew of guests. Not sure how I feel about wanting to buy it or not, but the shirts and stuff look as cool as ever.

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #193 on: June 25, 2021, 07:43:44 AM »
New album came out. I'm actually digging it with the vocals. I wasn't a fan of them because they were kind of too technical for my ears, kind of like Animals as Leaders. This album is more melodic on the music and I'm quite enjoying that.

https://scalethesummit.myshopify.com/collections/all/products/subjects-cd-new

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #194 on: June 25, 2021, 08:45:14 AM »
I didn't even know there was a new album but this is welcome news. I'll check the album out in a few days. Glad to hear it's more melodic. I like STS but I really have to be in a particular mood to listen to them.

Online gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #195 on: June 25, 2021, 09:33:01 AM »
I didn't even know there was a new album but this is welcome news. I'll check the album out in a few days. Glad to hear it's more melodic. I like STS but I really have to be in a particular mood to listen to them.

Same here. I like them....but it's gotta be the right mood and time. Just not a pop them on and listen kind of thing.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline roa71

« Reply #196 on: July 02, 2021, 02:47:45 PM »
The vocals are a game changer for those that did not connect with their technical instrumentals.  Check out my review below.

https://www.sonicperspectives.com/album-reviews/scale-the-summit-subjects/

Rick

Online gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #197 on: July 15, 2021, 12:54:52 PM »
Really digging the new release with the vocals. I'd be thrilled if they kept this approach moving forward.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind