Author Topic: Everything Punk  (Read 25000 times)

Offline chknptpie

• DTF.org Member
Re: Everything Punk
« Reply #105 on: August 09, 2016, 02:42:20 PM »
I love Alkaline Trio. I just bought tickets to see Bad Religion and Against Me in a small venue in November... right around the election... in a red state... this should be interesting

Offline Polarbear

« Reply #106 on: August 09, 2016, 02:54:33 PM »

My Ipod just threw out these albums consecutively and it got me in the mood to talk punk!! Seriously two of my favourite punk bands (NOFX are my #1 actually!!)

This thread has been dead for a few years but can't see any other punk related one. Lots of great bands already discussed but a shit ton I could recommend that haven't been mentioned if anyone feels like exploring punk in all it's glory. I love a variety of punk with a special love for skate/ska/pop/crust. Lets be honest most of my love has stemmed from the first time I picked up Tony Hawk's Pro Skater on the Playstation, as did many others. Those soundtracks were the best, especially the first 3. If anyone likes music off those games and wants a hit of what is essentially anti-prog then  :metal

Possibly 3 of the greatest video games ever made, and definitely 3 of the best game soundtracks ever!

I haven't listened to the Proskater 2 soundtrack in ages, guess i should do something about that :tup

Offline Imaginos

« Reply #107 on: August 09, 2016, 04:00:43 PM »
I've been really getting into punk over the past few months so I'm glad this thread has been resurrected. Looking through the 4 pages it's a real shame no one has mentioned The Damned. They're definitely becoming one of my favorite punk bands. Machine Gun Ettiquette is an amazing album and lately I've been enjoying some of their 80s stuff where they started to take on more new wave and goth influences and stuff like that.

The Toy Dolls are easily my favorite punk band though (and one of my favorite bands of any genre really). They aren't super serious or political like a lot of punk bands, they just have fun with their music, doing weird covers and using kazoos and stuff like that. And on top of that they're all really good musicians. I highly recommend Absurd-Ditties and Idle Gossip.

Also, I feel inclined to mention the Minutemen. I don't really think of them as a punk band because they play so many different styles, but I guess punk is a good umbrella term. They just play really neat music. One minute they're playing a CCR cover (totally unironically too, they actually loved CCR and covered no less than 4 of their songs) then they're playing a political punk song, and then they'll go into an instrumental interlude. Double Nickels on the Dime is such a great album, and History Lesson - part 2 is probably one of the most beautiful songs I've ever heard. I highly recommend this band to anyone and everyone.

Offline twosuitsluke

• Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
« Reply #108 on: August 09, 2016, 04:27:35 PM »

My Ipod just threw out these albums consecutively and it got me in the mood to talk punk!! Seriously two of my favourite punk bands (NOFX are my #1 actually!!)

This thread has been dead for a few years but can't see any other punk related one. Lots of great bands already discussed but a shit ton I could recommend that haven't been mentioned if anyone feels like exploring punk in all it's glory. I love a variety of punk with a special love for skate/ska/pop/crust. Lets be honest most of my love has stemmed from the first time I picked up Tony Hawk's Pro Skater on the Playstation, as did many others. Those soundtracks were the best, especially the first 3. If anyone likes music off those games and wants a hit of what is essentially anti-prog then  :metal

Possibly 3 of the greatest video games ever made, and definitely 3 of the best game soundtracks ever!

I haven't listened to the Proskater 2 soundtrack in ages, guess i should do something about that :tup

I got so obsessed with Superman by Goldfinger on the first game. Still love that song to this day!!

Offline twosuitsluke

« Reply #109 on: August 09, 2016, 05:21:04 PM »
Prepare for a wall of text  :blush

I've got to admit that I'm not a fan of 'classic' punk, like The Sex Pistols, The Damned, The Ramones etc. As I mentioned before, my love of punk started with the Tony Hawk games and a few other video game soundtracks (Crazy Taxi was another). I ended up buying an Offspring album (Americana and it was my first ever CD purchase) and played it so much that my brother snapped it in half  :lol

I later got into Green Day and then kinda discovered all the East Bay skate punk bands that made it big in the late 80's/early 90's (Green Day, Rancid, Operation Ivy, Bad Religion, Pennywise etc). After fully immersing myself in those bands I discovered ska punk and especially some of the great UK ska punk/skacore bands that were about in the early 00's (Capdown, King Prawn, {Spunge} etc). From there I just discovered a mix of all different sub genres of punk. The following list is of all the bands I REALLY love:

AFI
Against Me!
Alkaline Trio
All
Allister
Anti-flag
Assorted Jellybeans
Authority Zero
Bad Brains
Bad Religion
Big D and the Kids Table
Bigwig
Blink-182
The Bouncing Souls
Bowling for Soup
Boxcar Racer
Capdown
The Casualties
Catch 22
Choking Victim
Clay Pigeon
Dead Kennedys
Descendents
The Distillers
Dropkick Murphys
The Dwarves
The Flatliners
Flogging Molly
Frenzal Rhomb
GBH
Goldfinger
Good Riddance
Green Day
H2O
Hard Skin
Hi-Standard
Jaya the Cat
The King Blues
King Prawn
Lagwagon
Larry and his Flask
Lars Frederiksen and the Bastards
Leftover Crack
Less than Jake
The Living End
The Loved Ones
The Mad Caddies
Masked Intruder
Me First and the Gimme Gimmes
The Mighty Mighty Bosstones
Millencolin
The Misfits
Morning Glory
Mustard Plug
New Found Glory
No Use for a Name
NOFX
The Offspring
Operation Ivy
Pennywise
Propaghandi
Rancid
Random Hand
Reel Big Fish
Refused
Rise Against
Rudebones
RX Bandits
Screeching Weasel
Sick of it All
Ska-P
The Skints
The Slackers
Social Distortion
{Spunge}
Star Fucking Hipsters
Street Dogs
Streetlight Manifesto
Strung Out
Sublime
Suicide Bid
The Suicide Machines
Sum 41
Swingin' Utters
Tiger Army
Tokyo Ska Paradise Orchestra
Tony Sly
Transplants
Uncle Brian
The Vandals
Vic Ruggiero
Voodoo Glow Skulls
Wizo
Yellowcard
Zebrahead
4ft Fingers

As a general rule nowadays anything that is released on Fat Mike's (NOFX) record label, Fat Wreck Chords, is worth a look. So many good punk bands signed to them.

Offline NoseofNicko

« Reply #110 on: August 09, 2016, 07:00:34 PM »
Not a huge fan of normal punk, but I'm definitely a huge fan of post-punk. It's probably my third favorite genre after metal and progressive rock.

Some favorites:

The Cure
Joy Division
The Chameleons
Wipers
The Fall
Wire
Magazine
The Sound
Television
« Last Edit: August 09, 2016, 07:09:01 PM by NoseofNicko »

SebastianPratesi

« Reply #111 on: August 09, 2016, 07:04:54 PM »
But for serious I enjoy some Bad Religion, Early Offspring ( pre Ixnay ) and some Rancid ( Out Come The Wolves )
I still can't understand why no one else seems to like their recent (i.e. post 2000) output. To me, every album has great songs.

AFI

Boxcar Racer

Ska-P

Transplants
Nice to see some love for those!
There's this guy called Flavio, who's the bassist of Los Fabulosos Cadillacs (a big pop/ska band from Argentina). Last year, he released a solo album called Sardinista!: a punk rock concept album about a young guy living on a beach. Which, (based on your list) I think you might like - there's punk, but some acoustic pop, dub and weird electronic noises as well. Here's one of the songs: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gpo3DJaIyX4

(the album's title is a reference to The Clash, obviously, and sardines :P)

Offline chknptpie

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #112 on: August 09, 2016, 08:27:27 PM »
But for serious I enjoy some Bad Religion, Early Offspring ( pre Ixnay ) and some Rancid ( Out Come The Wolves )
I still can't understand why no one else seems to like their recent (i.e. post 2000) output. To me, every album has great songs.

I'm a fan of all, I really think they have aged well.

Offline twosuitsluke

« Reply #113 on: August 10, 2016, 07:20:05 AM »

AFI

Boxcar Racer

Ska-P

Transplants
Nice to see some love for those!
There's this guy called Flavio, who's the bassist of Los Fabulosos Cadillacs (a big pop/ska band from Argentina). Last year, he released a solo album called Sardinista!: a punk rock concept album about a young guy living on a beach. Which, (based on your list) I think you might like - there's punk, but some acoustic pop, dub and weird electronic noises as well. Here's one of the songs: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gpo3DJaIyX4

(the album's title is a reference to The Clash, obviously, and sardines :P)

Cheers dude, will check that out later.

SebastianPratesi

« Reply #114 on: August 10, 2016, 10:40:41 AM »
Cheers dude, will check that out later.
It's a fun summer album (well, it's set on a beach). If you have Spotify, I think this is the link:
https://play.spotify.com/album/5kCpDpEcZTWo85iGeTcX1H?play=true&utm_source=open.spotify.com&utm_medium=open

Oh, for sure! I'm a fan as well, and I think Days Go By is great in that it has a bit of everything:
  • Old-school Offspring ("Hurting As One", "Dividing By Zero", "Dirty Magic" of course)
  • Modern (post-Welty) Offspring (the first 2 songs)
  • Americana/COO pop Offspring ("I Wanna Secret Family")
  • Jokey, experimental songs - which had been absent in the previous album ("Cruising California", "OC Guns")
  • My favourite Offspring ballad ("All I Have Left Is You")
I'm still hoping they release new music - I didn't like "Coming For You".
« Last Edit: August 10, 2016, 10:49:30 AM by SebastianPratesi »

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #115 on: August 10, 2016, 01:19:58 PM »

Love the Offspring as well.  Finally got to see them last year perform all of Smash and it was a wonderful time.  Also Bad Religion opened (so did Pennywise) and I LOVE Bad Religion.  I may go see them this fall when they come back to NJ.

Offline chknptpie

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #116 on: August 17, 2016, 11:43:43 AM »
Ahhhhhh! The Living End just emailed me about their US tour and it kicks off tonight in my town! They haven't been to the states in 8 years!

Offline twosuitsluke

« Reply #117 on: August 17, 2016, 11:52:07 AM »
Ahhhhhh! The Living End just emailed me about their US tour and it kicks off tonight in my town! They haven't been to the states in 8 years!

Hell yeah!! Love The Living End. That double bass makes it for me. I'm a bit out of touch with them though as they lost me after they released White Noise, really wasn't a fan of that album. Didn't even realise they had released an album this year, will check that out.

Offline chknptpie

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #118 on: August 17, 2016, 12:41:39 PM »

Hell yeah!! Love The Living End. That double bass makes it for me. I'm a bit out of touch with them though as they lost me after they released White Noise, really wasn't a fan of that album. Didn't even realise they had released an album this year, will check that out.

I also didn't know they released a new one. Bought tickets for the show tonight!  :metal :metal

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #119 on: August 17, 2016, 05:10:07 PM »
Spinning lotsa Black Flag, Bad Brains, MDC and Minor Threat since January. I rewatched American Hardcore while I was studying for the bar exam, I was jobless with no real prospects, and Bernie Sanders was talking about taking down The Man. I was just in a place where I needed stupidly angry hardcore punk.
Quote from: bosk1
As frequently happens, Super Dude nailed it.
:superdude:

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #120 on: August 18, 2016, 06:55:32 AM »
Oooo Bad Religion is playing by me on a Friday night in September.... might have to go to this one

Offline twosuitsluke

« Reply #121 on: August 18, 2016, 07:06:49 AM »

I also didn't know they released a new one. Bought tickets for the show tonight!  :metal :metal

How was the gig last night?

Offline twosuitsluke

« Reply #122 on: August 18, 2016, 07:10:19 AM »
Oooo Bad Religion is playing by me on a Friday night in September.... might have to go to this one

Hell yeah, last time I saw them was in Australia about 4 years ago I think!! They are one of my favourites but they often look like a bunch of suburban Dads up on stage  :lol

I keep meaning to read some of Greg Graffin's books. Will get around to it soon.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #123 on: August 18, 2016, 07:18:28 AM »

Hell yeah, last time I saw them was in Australia about 4 years ago I think!! They are one of my favourites but they often look like a bunch of suburban Dads up on stage  :lol

I keep meaning to read some of Greg Graffin's books. Will get around to it soon.

:lol yup they are definitely at Dad status

Offline chknptpie

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #124 on: August 18, 2016, 07:46:10 AM »
How was the gig last night?
It was great! Two of the guys flew in the night before, so it was a 4am gig for them. I think they did a good justice to new vs old songs.
The 2nd band was fantastic as well - Wild Roses. Lead guy used to be a member of Drop Kick and he has got "it" - whatever IT may be.  I mean - this was their opening song
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Li5zkZs8nwg

I already bought tickets for that one. I have never seen BR but they are one of my favorites. And with Against Me! who are also great. I'm super excited for it.

Offline twosuitsluke

« Reply #125 on: August 18, 2016, 09:14:13 AM »
Sweet, sounds really good  :biggrin:

Any of you guys ever heard of The Flatliners? I swear they are Canada's best kept secret (after Devin Townsend maybe). They started off as a ska punk band but have since matured into more of a straight up punk band. Kinda like Rise Against but they are in their prime right now, whereas Rise Against, not so much in my opinion.

This is off their latest album and it's called Drown in Blood.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=y5fe6DLZ5wc

The guy writes great lyrics and has a real passion when he screams out these choruses. They are really infectious and catchy. The album before, Cavalcade, is flawless from start to finish. I was thinking of starting a thread just for them but have no idea how well known they are.

They are signed to Fat Wreck Chords, which is always a good sign. Seriously check them out, guarantee you won't be disappointed.

Offline NoseofNicko

« Reply #126 on: January 24, 2018, 02:05:59 PM »
R.I.P. Mark E. Smith (The Fall)  :-[

Offline twosuitsluke

« Reply #127 on: March 18, 2019, 03:04:01 PM »
I have been back on a huge punk rock kick so far this year. I've mainly been listening to NOFX but also loads of my other faves. I've also been discovering some great new punk bands as I've been out of the loop for quite a few years.

Really pumped for some of the releases coming out this year, especially Fat Mike's solo Cokie the Clown album  :metal

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #128 on: October 11, 2019, 09:10:47 AM »
I'm going to head to DC this weekend for b2b nights of Incubus (I know not punk, but that's not the point here) and was googling things to do in DC this weekend to see if anything interesting was going on to do during the day and found this, which looks pretty cool so I may go check this out tomorrow:

Upcoming Events
Celebrate 5 years of the DC Punk Archive!
5th Anniversary Celebration
Saturday, October 12, 2:30 p.m. at Georgetown Library.

Open House 2:30-4 p.m.
Selected materials from the DC Punk Archive collections will be on display in the Peabody Room, the punk archive's temporary home during the renovation of the Martin Luther King Jr. Memorial Library. Read zines, view rare concert footage, and learn about how the collections have been used by researchers over the years.

Outdoor Celebration 2:30-5 p.m.
Exhibition of photographs by Antonia Tricarico, author of Frame of Mind: Punk Photos and Essays 1997-2017
DIY merch: Make a button and stencil your own posters and t-shirts! Paper will be provided, but you must bring your own t-shirt
Music by Les the DJ at 2:30 p.m. and CORIKY (Amy Farina - Ian MacKaye - Joe Lally) at 4 p.m.

Ian MacKaye is the front man of Minor Threat and Fugazi.  Seeing a performance for free plus checking out the punk displays at Georgetown University seems really cool. 

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #129 on: October 15, 2019, 11:11:06 AM »
Was interesting to check this out.  I was a bit bummed that it seemed their historical display and archives were fairly small.  I don't know why I thought there would be so much more to check out, but I felt a bit dissapointed there weren't more fliers and posters, also none of which I recognized.  I know it's specific to DC so maybe that is why.  I fucked up and went to the wrong library so got there just in time for the band, which actually worked well but since I was parked a 25 minute walk away, I left earlier than I had hoped.  Oh well, I checked out Coriky which isn't really a punk band, they sounded like Fugazi (I think they might have played Fugazi too, one song sounded so familiar) and Ian's voice was an instant memory shock of his style and sound.  He sounded pretty good.  He asked for no video of the show and if you had to take clips, do not put it on social media.  I respected his wishes, he was cool with pics so I got one.  I mean, how do you archive the show if you leave no trace of it happening?  :biggrin:

Part of me feels like I never go to underground shows anymore, I'm way more mainstream than I realize sometimes and seeing this tight community was a cool experience to remind me of the true underground of music, and in this case, the underground scene in DC.

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #130 on: October 19, 2019, 10:56:56 AM »
GOSPEL the progressive post-hardcore band are back!

they did a reunion show last month and plan to record new music this Winter!

https://noise.thehardtimes.net/2019/09/19/the-conquest-came-and-the-noise-died-down-an-interview-with-gospel/?fbclid=IwAR2p9T_FuohIY9At4mjDnLaSzXJ-ZRQ1ePTjlZXYhvh38hgbX50wkdZjulk

The Mars Volta/At the Drive-In fans: GOSPEL may very well be up your alley. Their debut album "The Moon is a Dead World" is a classic to many, and the last track they recorded "Tango" in 2010, while leans more proggy/psych direction, is a total banger.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pYBc08T7iqk

Offline twosuitsluke

« Reply #131 on: October 12, 2020, 01:06:16 PM »
I had to come here and post. Get Dead have just released their new album, Dancing with the Curse, and I haven't been this into a punk band/new punk album, in so long. This has literally just given me faith that there are still great punk bands out there just killing it. It's like the early 2000's UK skacore but from an American band. They are signed to Fat Wreck Chords, which is the home of the best bands to be fair.

For anyone like me, who is in their 30s and grew up with all the great American 90s skate punk, and has struggled to find a band that hits like those classic bands, give Get Dead a go!

https://open.spotify.com/album/2BrabzWJSr7bSlZQ6sc0R2?si=mqsREaNPQlmO_GPqoLjexg&utm_source=copy-link

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #132 on: October 12, 2020, 01:46:42 PM »
nice, I should check them out.

Was actually thinking lately about your Skints recommendation a few years ago, Skints had liked a few of my tweets lately talking about them.  I wish they'd tour the US again (whenever that opens up for everyone).

Offline twosuitsluke

« Reply #133 on: October 15, 2020, 12:37:47 PM »
They've released a really good live album this year! Don't know what you've listened to by them but their debut is still the best album, so damn good.

Have you checked out Get Dead yet??

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #134 on: October 15, 2020, 02:03:55 PM »
I had not... to the internets I go

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #135 on: October 15, 2020, 02:58:11 PM »
Watched a couple music videos and their live at Fat Mikes house set, I'm not really into the singer but they are fun and solid.  Singer looks kind of psycho at Fat Mikes  :lol

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #136 on: March 20, 2022, 11:10:25 PM »
GOSPEL the progressive post-hardcore band are back!

they did a reunion show last month and plan to record new music this Winter!

https://noise.thehardtimes.net/2019/09/19/the-conquest-came-and-the-noise-died-down-an-interview-with-gospel/?fbclid=IwAR2p9T_FuohIY9At4mjDnLaSzXJ-ZRQ1ePTjlZXYhvh38hgbX50wkdZjulk

The Mars Volta/At the Drive-In fans: GOSPEL may very well be up your alley. Their debut album "The Moon is a Dead World" is a classic to many, and the last track they recorded "Tango" in 2010, while leans more proggy/psych direction, is a total banger.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pYBc08T7iqk

"SRO" is out today!

https://gospel.bandcamp.com/track/s-r-o-2

The album, "The Loser" is coming on May 13th.

Mind = Blown

Offline twosuitsluke

« Reply #137 on: October 11, 2022, 07:01:19 AM »
So Blink-182 have welcomed Tom DeLonge back into the band. Also new album and world tour coming next year.

https://therockrevival.com/interviews/blink-182-announce-2023-tour-with-tom-delonge/

Offline Deathless

« Reply #138 on: October 11, 2022, 07:02:26 AM »
So Blink-182 have welcomed Tom DeLonge back into the band. Also new album and world tour coming next year.

I know there was a lot of scuttlebutt about it after he added Blink back into his instagram profile and with Matt Skiba not being clear on his status in the band. Interested to hear the new single Friday.

Offline twosuitsluke

« Reply #139 on: October 11, 2022, 07:40:21 AM »
Yea definitely. I thought their last album was pretty atrocious, but I'm cautiously optimistic. If I cam afford tickets I'd go see them live next year as well. They are one of the few bands, who helped form my musical identity, that I've yet to see live.