Author Topic: theseoafs' Song Roulette 2 v. TRAPPED INSIDE THIS EIGHTAVARIUM  (Read 16322 times)

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker

Offline theseoafs

• When the lights go down in the city, and the sun shines on the bayyyyy
  • Hello! My name is Elder Price
Damn, the competition's getting kind of ugly, huh?

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
sENT

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
Hey Mason, if Enchant's your baby, Leprous could probably be mine, I take it we're even now :biggrin:

Then how do you explain this:

Leprous - Bilateral

Emphasis on DATE and ALBUM.

If they were your baby you would have had that album 2 years ago.  *extends arm, drops mic, walks away*

That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
Hey Mason, if Enchant's your baby, Leprous could probably be mine, I take it we're even now :biggrin:

Then how do you explain this:

Leprous - Bilateral

Emphasis on DATE and ALBUM.

If they were your baby you would have had that album 2 years ago.  *extends arm, drops mic, walks away*

:pwnt:

ProgPower Europe 2010. Saw the band there, bought Tall Poppy Syndrome directly afterwards at the fest because they blew me away. Spoke with the whole band afterwards (do you want to see the signed booklet? I can upload a pic if you want..) the band put me on the guest-list for their next show in the Netherlands, I've been following them since.

I just never bought Bilateral until recently..
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline theseoafs

ohhhh shit

Offline Lolzeez

• DTF.org Member
Well. I learned this so far.
1.No post metal
2.No relying on classics

Now it's time for just straight out prog metal.

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
1.No post metal
2.No relying on classics

I had similar thoughts.

Offline theseoafs

1.No post metal
2.No relying on classics

For the record, there's nothing wrong with classics.  I think the song that got 3rd place this time around is older than the KC song you sent last round.  Like I said, I'm a classic rock guy, mainly.  I just happened not to be an enormous fan of that particular King Crimson song (though, like I said, it was quite a good song).

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
It is indeed! Wishbone Ash's 'Argus' is from 1974, while King Crimson's 'Red' was released in 1974.
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ

Offline Lolzeez

• DTF.org Member
Wagering 14 points by the way.  :lol
Oh and yeah. Argus is an awesome album. (Also the only WA album I care for...)

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop

Oh, that's harsh! While Argus is indeed probably their best (it's my favourite for sure), they've also done some awesome other stuff. If you can ever get your hands on 'Tracks 3', which is a compilation set of 3 discs, try it out. Lots of awesome stuff on there as well! :)
Squ

Offline Lolzeez

• DTF.org Member

Oh, that's harsh! While Argus is indeed probably their best (it's my favourite for sure), they've also done some awesome other stuff. If you can ever get your hands on 'Tracks 3', which is a compilation set of 3 discs, try it out. Lots of awesome stuff on there as well! :)
I actually own like 2 more albums of vinyl. Which other albums would you recommend?

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
Well, the first four are from their original line-up, that's a good start. Though I must say that I don't really know any full albums after that, mainly just separate tracks. I have that compilation set for more stuff :P
Squ

Offline Lolzeez

• DTF.org Member
Sent yesterday.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
Sent yesterday.

Moi aussi

This is not Quebec, English please - or at least Engrish.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
You are worthress, Hawee Cawee.  The changing of the worrd is inevitabre.  Inevitabre! Things are inevitabrey going to change!

Offline theseoafs

Everybody has AIDS.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni

Offline theseoafs

Get with the fucking program jingle:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6szE_qmzavQ

I'll have round 3 results done by tonight by the way.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
Right...  that's the musical that Gary is in, when Spottswoode comes to recruit him?  I think I totally forgot that scene because the one right after that is where I got the biggest laughs ... <enter limosine>, "Jesus, this is a nice limo".  "Yes it is, now suck my cock". That's the real start of the debauchery for me.

Offline theseoafs

Right...  that's the musical that Gary is in, when Spottswoode comes to recruit him?  I think I totally forgot that scene because the one right after that is where I got the biggest laughs ... <enter limosine>, "Jesus, this is a nice limo".  "Yes it is, now suck my cock". That's the real start of the debauchery for me.

The movie's pretty great, but that particular joke never fails to get a groan out of me.  I don't know, it was kind of... obvious?  As far as great one-liners go, I don't think I'll ever find the bit with the hammer unfunny.

Anyway, sorry, guys, but I think I'm going to take another day to listen to these songs and report back tomorrow evening.  For some reason, you guys all sent me stuff that was really obtuse and I don't feel like I've been able to wrap my head around any of them very well.  Another day to absorb the music will let me give fairer rankings and make everyone happier.  We're moving along pretty quickly so hopefully that's not a problem.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
I'm cool with that.  Would rather you take the time to evaluate properly, rather than do it quickly.

Offline Lolzeez

• DTF.org Member
Man,I hope I don't fuck up this time.

Offline theseoafs

ARE YOU GUYS READY TO FUCKING ROCK??!??! IT'S RESULTS TIME

Okay, so like I said, the songs I got this time around were a little more on the complex, dark, and hard to digest side.  This made ranking the tunes pretty difficult, but I think I'm at a place where I know the songs pretty well and can judge them fairly.  For the next round, I'm going to place some additional restrictions so this doesn't happen again (I'll elaborate on that later).  However, now that I've had a chance to absorb them, I can report that I found all of these songs very good, which doesn't bode well for the people who submitted songs that were good but not quite as good as the others.  Anyway, here we go:

7.  Scorp's submission:  Helloween -- The Departed:  Some pretty cool classic-sounding metal.  Nothing too special, but it's appropriately catchy and I rather like the spoken-word bridge ("I would die for you, would you die for me?").

6.  Lolz's submission:  Riverside -- Escalator Shrine:  I've heard some Riverside before, but not this one.  I liked it.  Very Floyd.  It's also a very long song, and I'm not sure it warrants the length -- I was fully expecting the song to be over at the 7 minute mark when they hold out that power chord.  I wasn't particularly enthused when the drums came back in, which isn't the best sign for a roulette submission.

5.  Jingle's submission:  Echoes -- Rude Awakening: This one had to go down here, which is a shame, because I thought this song was very well-done.  Very talented musicians -- I particularly enjoyed the vocals, the chorus in particular being pretty awesome.  The songs which won places 4 through 1 were more consistently strong by my count.

4.  Elite's submission:  Beardfish -- South of the Border:  A lot of fun, this one.  Very Zappa.  Very, very Zappa.  I like Zappa so there's no problem there.  The story encouraged me to listen to the lyrics, which is pretty notable since I rarely pay attention to them.  Gotta love that hoedown-breakdown before the outro.  'CAUSE HE WAS GAYYYYYYY

3.  Ninja's submission:  Ark -- Burn the Sun:  Really damn tasty.  That bass solo, man.

2.  DTVT's submission:  Fair to Midland -- Dance of the Manatee:  This one has a really interesting sound.  Incredible vocals on the chorus.  That bridge ("the bigger they are, the harder they fall") kind of put me off at first, but I was singing (grunting?) along by the end of my first listen.  Fantastic submission. 

1.  First place goes to Chef, with Disperse's Message from Atlantis.  Truly awesome stuff here.  I was captivated by every moment of this piece, from the fusion-esque verses to the arious harmonic-laden breakdowns, and that's what I'm judging you guys on, anyway: consistent strength.  I also love that I'm hearing so much interesting music from this year that I never would have heard otherwise, so thanks for that, guys.

Scoring!

1. DTVT - 65 + 20 = 85
2. Elite - 65 + 0*10 = 65
3. Lonestar - 40 + 15 = 55
4. jingle - 65 - 20 = 45
5. Ninja - 30 + 10 = 40
6. Scorp - 35 - 20 = 15
7. Lolz - 15 - 14 = 1

Alright, so round 4 starts now.  Special instructions for this round, so please pay attention:
1) Nothing over 10 minutes, please (preferably shorter).
2) I still haven't settled on how many rounds to do, so I'll leave it to you guys.  With your song and wager, please also tell me how many rounds you'd like this roulette to last (anywhere from four to... well, I guess there's no upper limit).  I'll go with whatever the majority says because we live in America.  I'll just decide for myself if there's a tie or the poll is otherwise inconclusive. 
« Last Edit: August 02, 2013, 08:28:35 PM by theseoafs »

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF.org Alumni
I was thinking of sending Beardfish, but I couldn't settle on which one.

Also, you didn't say what jingle sent.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
Since you didn't specify my submission, I'll let everyone know it was Echoes/Rude Awakening (prolly only Doc knows it).

Damn.

Will send before end of the night.

edit... ninja'd

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF.org Alumni
That was a brutal round, that's a tough way to lose out jingle.

Also, lol's score is appropriate for his handle  :lol

Offline theseoafs

Sorry about leaving out jingle's submission, edit'd.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
That was a brutal round, that's a tough way to lose out jingle.

Tell me about it!!!

Also, lol's score is appropriate for his handle  :lol

What's the old poker line... as long as you've got a chip and a chair?

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
Sent...

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
sent

Offline Lolzeez

• DTF.org Member
Sent my swan song.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
Sent!
Squ