Author Topic: theseoafs' Song Roulette 2 v. TRAPPED INSIDE THIS EIGHTAVARIUM  (Read 16041 times)

Offline theseoafs

• When the lights go down in the city, and the sun shines on the bayyyyy
  • Hello! My name is Elder Price
Re: theseoafs' Song Roulette 2: Electric Boogaloo v. Prologue
« Reply #35 on: July 28, 2013, 09:34:17 PM »
Should have results posted before I go to sleep tonight.  I will say now, though, that this will not be an easy ranking.  These songs are all very strong, and I'm going to have to take points away from people that don't deserve it.

Offline theseoafs

« Reply #36 on: July 28, 2013, 10:21:05 PM »
ROUND 1 RESULTS

In reverse order (starting with the worst), my rankings are as follows:

7. Scorp's submission: Dog Fashion Disco - Desert Grave:  This is pretty good.  Really atmospheric, with a folksy and kind of pseudo-Latin vibe at times.  The soft outro is pretty fantastic.  While there's nothing wrong with this one, it couldn't stack up against the others.

6. Lolz's submission: King Crimson - One More Red Nightmare:  I am ashamed by two things:  1) I know so little King Crimson that it could be used in this roulette (I only picked up the debut a few weeks ago, actually), and 2) there were enough strong songs in this round that this wonderful tune had to be pushed down to 6th place.  Love that verse/chorus, though the instrumental section didn't exactly have me captivated all the way through.  Ugh, so embarrassing that a KC song is in this spot.  I'm embarrassed.  Let's move on.

Now this next one was the tricky part -- the song that gets 5th place loses points, while the song in 4th place doesn't.  This is a real shame because I really enjoyed both songs, but this is the way the cookie crumbles, I guess.  Anyway:

5. Ninja's submission:  The Ocean - Mesopelagic: Into the Uncanny:  Another metal entry from 2013.  As always, very impressive instrumentation, though I wasn't so taken with the composition itself as I was with the Soilwork song.  Cool, catchy verses and choruses, though not especially memorable in the way the top placing songs were.  Still very good on the whole though.

4.  jingle's submission:  Karnya - Flooding Blood:  Pretty fantastic prog metal tune.  Manages to cover a lot of musical ground in 6 minutes, and is consistently enjoyable.  Love those vocals -- a little Hetfield-ish, don't you think?  Actually, I got a Metallica vibe from the whole song, like prog-tallica or something.  Maybe I'm just tired.  I don't know.  Anyway, this song wins 4th place not for any specific reason, but just because I happened to enjoy it a little bit more on the whole.  Mesopelagic was great but it loses points, while this one doesn't.  Unfair, eh?

3.  doc's submission: Soilwork - This Momentary Bliss: Great stuff.  Not much to say about this one except for that -- wonderful intro, and a great, catchy verse and chorus.  Pretty concise, too, which is good; people tend to go for the epics in roulettes, which is fine, but sometimes a good, classic, 4-minute metal song is good too.

2. elite's submission: Enchant - Paint the Picture: My first thought, of course, was "hey, this really sounds like Xanadu".  The Xanadu-riff is repeated fairly often in the song, but luckily we quickly move on to other, less Rush-y soundscapes.  The atmospheric verse, driven by a kickass bassline, is pretty sweet, and gives way to an incredibly catchy chorus in 3 ("escape your oppressor, transgress your transgressor").

1. chef's submission: Shineback - Rise Up Forgotten, Return Destroyed: Fuck yeah, this is what I'm talking about.  An interesting, groovy, metal composition, with fantastic instrumentation to boot.  There's a nice little a cappella part in the middle to provide some contrast, and the song concludes with an "I love you".  I love you too, Rise Up Forgotten, Return Destroyed.  I love you too.

.... So, there we go.  The standings:

1. Lonestar - 50 + 20 = 70
2. DTVT - 50 + 5 = 55
2. Elite - 50 + 5 = 55
4. jingle - 50 + 0*15 = 50
5. Ninja - 50 - 10 = 40
6. Scorp - 50 - 15 = 35
7. Lolz - 50 - 25 = 25  (I'm so sorry.)

Interestingly, DTVT and Elite bet pretty conservatively.  The highest bet was lolzeez's, who is in last place now despite having submitted a really awesome song.  C'est la vie.  Round 2 starts now.  Try to submit your next tune in the next 24 hours if you can (by the end of the day tomorrow).

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #37 on: July 28, 2013, 10:27:50 PM »
Sweet man, knew that would click. Seriously check out the album, it's probably one of the best I've come across in a long time.

(after hearing the whole album and getting the concept, the "I Love You" takes on a whole new meaning btw...)

Ahh, Chad, sending Karnya, huh? That's fucking bold bro.... I see how it's gonna be in this one...

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
« Reply #38 on: July 29, 2013, 01:01:27 AM »
Elite, Enchant is my baby.  You just made an enemy for life.  Lonestar should have a fatwa on jingle for stealing his thunder as well.  Elite might be able to plead ignorance, but Chad knew damn well what he was doing.

Offline Lolzeez

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #39 on: July 29, 2013, 01:07:46 AM »
Damn right you're sorry! Cause now I can only wager 25 more.  :rollin

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #40 on: July 29, 2013, 05:28:48 AM »
Elite, Enchant is my baby.  You just made an enemy for life.  Lonestar should have a fatwa on jingle for stealing his thunder as well.  Elite might be able to plead ignorance, but Chad knew damn well what he was doing.

Heh, I just figured that was a good song to send, which it was. I thank you for getting me into them, along with Nick. Now, don't get too hostile, for I already sent the song before you were even in the roulette :biggrin:
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #41 on: July 29, 2013, 05:42:21 AM »

pffft.  There are no limits to the depths I will sink to.  Consider your thunder stoled after this round.  If lonestar's gonna have launch a fatwa, then I'm gonna be dead to you shortly.

That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • welcome to the wasteland
« Reply #42 on: July 29, 2013, 06:53:13 AM »

pffft.  There are no limits to the depths I will sink to.  Consider your thunder stoled after this round.  If lonestar's gonna have launch a fatwa, then I'm gonna be dead to you shortly.
10 imaginary bucks on Chad sending IQ next.

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

type : mora : and delete the spaces for a surprise

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #43 on: July 29, 2013, 07:57:13 AM »
Sent yo...

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #44 on: July 29, 2013, 07:59:06 AM »
Will send by end of the night.  Too busy (finally) listening to Impermanent Resonance.
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #45 on: July 29, 2013, 08:29:30 AM »

10 imaginary bucks on Chad sending IQ next.

I love IQ, but that would be stealing more from lonestar than me.  But lonestar sent IQ last roulette, so hopefully theseoafs jumped on board that boat if he has two functioning brain cells.

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #46 on: July 29, 2013, 08:54:05 AM »
True that.

Offline Lolzeez

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #47 on: July 29, 2013, 11:48:13 AM »
Sent.

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
« Reply #48 on: July 29, 2013, 11:55:23 AM »
SENT

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #49 on: July 29, 2013, 04:49:59 PM »
Just checking in here. Sent some IQ.
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ

Offline theseoafs

« Reply #50 on: July 29, 2013, 05:13:16 PM »
What is this band called?  Eye-queue?  They're pretty good, never heard 'em before.  I can already tell this one will get 1st place

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
« Reply #51 on: July 29, 2013, 05:13:50 PM »
Noooooooooo

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF.org Alumni
Sent.  If you send something he liked from the last roulette, you should be penalized, and tazered.

Offline theseoafs

Alright, looks like I've got submissions from everyone... except Kim Jong-Il.  Guess he's busy working on strategy or masturbating or something.

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
 :lol :lol

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF.org Alumni
Alright, looks like I've got submissions from everyone... except Kim Jong-Il.  Guess he's busy working on strategy or masturbating or something.

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
You must learn patience youngling.  'twill be arriving in your inbox shortly.

And we're done.  Judo-mode, level 2.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2013, 07:19:06 PM by jingle.boy »

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef

:slowclap:

Offline theseoafs

Round 2 results coming :soon:.

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef

Offline theseoafs

ROUND 2 RESULTS

Last round, I was consistently impressed with the quality of all the songs I received.  This time, not so much.  Let's start with the worst.

7.  Shadow Ninja's submission:  Gotthard - Lift You Up:  The Ninja took a chance with this positively boring pop song.  It did not pay off.

6.  Chef's submission:  Absolute Priority - Fear of the Night:  Here's the upset.  This one didn't really speak to me.  Sort of plodding and slow, with a drawn-out bombastic ending that would be epic if I enjoyed the music a bit more.  I dunno.  The vocalist is pretty good.  Is it just me, or does he really sound like (young) Geoff Tate?  I was legitimately convinced this was a mid-80's Geoff Tate side project for a good portion of this song. :lol

5.  Lolz's submission:  Cult of Luna - I, The Weapon:  Mr. L told me I should give this one at 3 listens with breaks in between.  Sort of a hefty request given this song is 10 minutes long, but I did manage to get 2 listens in.  Truth time: on my first listen, I was ready to turn it off about a minute in because I found the song so tremendously ugly.  But my noble duty as a roulette judge is to listen to these songs, so I powered through.  By minute 5, I'd changed my tune, and was greatly enjoying what I was hearing... and then, by minute 10, I was a bit more sour.  Cult of Luna is a doomy, progressive, and talented band, but this song was not my cup of tea.  At college, occasionally my roommate puts on recordings of Philip Glass's compositions.  Philip Glass is a modern composer that also relies on very repetitive song structures.  I understand Philip Glass and the musical techniques he used, but I don't care for his music.  I responded to Cult of Luna in a similar way:  I understand what they're going for from an artistic standpoint, and it makes tremendous sense to me why people would like this music, but I just don't, personally.  Lolzeez will lose points, but if it's any consolation, I respect your band artistically.

And now, the really good stuff:

4.  Scorp's submission:  Devin Townsend - Bad Devil:  This was actually an alternate; Scorp's first choice was Lucy Fears the Morning Star by Diablo Swing Orchestra, a band I'm already familiar with.  (That's actually lucky for him, since I don't much care for that song.)  Anyway, this song was a lot of fun.  The deep "devil" voice was an interesting conceit, and it gives way to a melodic chorus whose swing metal sound is familiar without being cliche or uninteresting. 

3.  Elite's submission:  Wishbone Ash - Sometime World:  How have I not heard of this band before?  This is some awesome early prog rock.  The opening ballad transitions masterfully into a fantastic Yes-style jam.  Love that bass.

2.  jingle's submission:  Dimension Act - Illusion/Counterparts:  Expertly crafted high-energy prog metal.  ... Sorry if this makes any of our participants angry.

1.  Doc's submission: Leprous - Bilateral:  The PhD snags the top spot this time with this chaotic progressive metal masterpiece.

New standings:
1. DTVT - 55 + 10 = 65
1. Elite - 55 + 10 = 65
1. jingle - 50 + 15 = 65
4. Lonestar - 70 - 30 = 40
5. Scorp - 35 + 0*10 = 35
6. Ninja - 40 - 10 = 30
7. Lolz - 25 - 10 = 15

3-way tie for 1st, interesting.  Lonestar made a big, risky bet which did not pay off -- but it's nothing he can't recover from.  Lolzeez, meanwhile, may be eliminated soon if he doesn't step up his game.

Round 3 starts now -- maybe try to get your submissions in by tomorrow evening?

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF.org Alumni
Hey, can you compile a list of bands sent from your last roulette?  It's a pain to check on my phone.

Offline theseoafs

Eumeria
Thrice
Freakeys
The Deadstation
CAN
Dec Burke
I Mother Earth
Ween
Blessed By a Broken Heart
Katatonia
Mechanical Poet
Between the Buried and Me
Illegal Aliens
Slow Motion Reign
Otep
Pantera
Prymary
Mastodon
Orphaned Land
Karnivool
Ben Folds Five
Rishloo
The Cure
Gowan
Martin Orford
Shudder to Think
Anathema
dredg
Roswell Six
Stargate
Moe Tar
Marco Minnemann
Phish
Mumford and Sons
Gov't Mule
Galactic Cowboy Orchestra
Talking Heads
IQ
Flaming Row
This Day and Age
Of Monsters and Men
Tempest
Triggerfinger
Joy Division
Oceansize
The Pineapple Thief
Marillion
Frameshift

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
Crap, I figured Deadstation was on there. Oh well, sending yo....

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
Now this is how you run a roulette!  :clap:  Shame you only plan on doing 5 rounds or so.  Will be sending in a few hours.  Got work shit to do.  Guess Mason didn't look to closely at my submission.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
Hey Mason, if Enchant's your baby, Leprous could probably be mine, I take it we're even now :biggrin:
and I'm glad you liked the Wishbone Ash song, go check out the whole album 'Argus' if you want, it's brilliant!
Squ

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF.org Alumni
Now this is how you run a roulette!  :clap:  Shame you only plan on doing 5 rounds or so.  Will be sending in a few hours.  Got work shit to do.  Guess Mason didn't look to closely at my submission.

I can't choose every song every round jingle. 

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
Scent...

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni

I can't choose every song every round jingle.

With the recommendations you've laid on me over the years, I certainly could just draw from those.  But... I won't.

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF.org Alumni
Hey Mason, if Enchant's your baby, Leprous could probably be mine, I take it we're even now :biggrin:

Then how do you explain this:

Leprous - Bilateral

Emphasis on DATE and ALBUM.

If they were your baby you would have had that album 2 years ago.  *extends arm, drops mic, walks away*