Author Topic: theseoafs' Song Roulette 2 v. TRAPPED INSIDE THIS EIGHTAVARIUM  (Read 16328 times)

Offline theseoafs

• When the lights go down in the city, and the sun shines on the bayyyyy
  • Hello! My name is Elder Price
Re: theseoafs' Song Roulette 2: Electric Boogaloo v. 7 ways to win
« Reply #175 on: August 18, 2013, 08:00:56 PM »
hopefully I can churn out the results by Friday.  Sound good?  (I'll be more mindful of the administrative stuff this time around so there shouldn't be any delays like we had this time.)

Didn't quite make this goal, but results should be out tonight! :tup

Offline theseoafs

« Reply #176 on: August 18, 2013, 08:26:55 PM »
Briefly:  lots of good music was submitted, and most of the players bet a lot of points.  We'll see how this one goes.

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
« Reply #177 on: August 18, 2013, 08:58:03 PM »
 :metal

or

:sad:

Offline theseoafs

« Reply #178 on: August 18, 2013, 09:09:46 PM »
ROUND 7 RESULTS -- WE'RE ALMOST THERE GUYS

Alrighty, five good songs were submitted, and 169 points were bet.  Who's going to win their points back?  The answer may surprise you!  (Probably not though)

5.  Ninja's submission:  Nightingale - Shadowman
4.  Elite's submission:  Jeff Buckley - Grace

Elite and Ninja will be losing points this time around.  The Nightingale song was pretty groovy and cool, and I really liked the Jeff Buckley song, which had a great vocalist and a lot of interesting harmonies.  However, the remaining three songs were so fucking good that it took me no time to decide that these songs were going to sit at the bottom of the ranking.  They just can't compare to what's coming.

3.  DTVT's submission:  Bruce Dickinson - Dark Side of Aquarius:  Like the King Crimson piece that was submitted in round 2 or whatever, I'm rather ashamed to say I wasn't familiar with this one already (I've heard a few of Bruce's albums, but I've never heard anything off of Accident of Birth).  Anyway, I've been consistently impressed with his other tunes, and this one is no exception.  Great chorus.  Epic, singalong-able melodies.  Really strong submission.

2.  jingle's submission:  Shadow Circus - The Horseman Ride: Project Blue Pt. 5:  jingle nabs a scoring spot with an unlikely favorite.  Doesn't really sound like anything that's been submitted so far, and I imagine Shadow Circus's other music doesn't sound much like this either, but the band pulls off this folksy, almost country-esque groove really well.  Really catchy while still maintaining a somewhat spooky tooooone.  Nice chorus.

1.  chef's submission:  Aching Beauty - Pairsonality:  Apparently Lonestar just found this band on the day that he made this submission.  Anyway, that was a very, very good choice, and he could easily have gotten away with betting much more.  It's definitely prog metal, but this band isn't just another Dream Theater or Symphony X clone.  Super interesting rhythms throughout.  Great guitar solo.  Great find, chef.

1.  Lonestar: 110 + 20 = 130
2.  DTVT: 105 + 0*40 = 105
3.  jingle - 45 + 44 = 89
4.  Elite: 50 - 20 = 30
5.  Ninja: 65 - 45 = 20

EXTRA SPECIAL NOTE ON ROUND 8 SUBMISSIONS:  I'll be sending a PM to each of you with a link to a Google form where you can anonymously submit your final entry & wager.  We're doing things a little differently this time around to ensure that the final round is completely fair.  Do not PM your final entry to me and do your best not to include any identifying information either in this thread or in the form.  I'll be doing the final ranking anonymously, and you guys will have to help me out after I do the rankings to compute the final standings.  Understood?

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
Re: theseoafs' Song Roulette 2 v. TRAPPED INSIDE THIS EIGHTAVARIUM
« Reply #179 on: August 18, 2013, 09:25:57 PM »
Sent!

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #180 on: August 18, 2013, 09:30:37 PM »
^Well, that was dumb. Now he knows the first song there is yours!

You're right, BTW... That sng is nothing like the rest of Shadow Circus' music. Have a go at the whole saga. It's got quite a range of music in that 34 mins.

I know exactly what I'm sending. Been waiting for 2 rounds to send this. As The Rock would say, I guaran-damn-tee this song will score points.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline theseoafs

« Reply #181 on: August 18, 2013, 09:35:46 PM »
... Yeah, if you check into the thread immediately after you submit, I'll know it was you. 

So that experiment was a failure. :lol

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
« Reply #182 on: August 18, 2013, 09:39:29 PM »
Sorry dude. I'm tired and my reading comprehension isn't what it should be. :P

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #183 on: August 18, 2013, 09:47:13 PM »
Another problem ... I have a pretty identifiable point total, and if I bet it all, you're gonna deduce which submission is mine pretty easily.

I like your idea here, but I'm not sure this is going to work out as you planned.

Also, the song I want to submit doesn't appear to be on YT or Grooveshark.  Will check Spotify in the morning - since I'm on my ipad right now (and not a premium member).  If it ain't there, I'm gonna have to email it to ya - which again gives me away.
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline theseoafs

« Reply #184 on: August 18, 2013, 09:51:10 PM »
Eh, worst case scenario is I know exactly who sent which song and then round 8 is ranked exactly like all of the other rounds, which isn't a big deal.  I was just experimenting with a new format this time around.

Sorry dude. I'm tired and my reading comprehension isn't what it should be. :P

I think the expression is "isn't what it used to be", but I like your version. :lol

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #185 on: August 18, 2013, 11:51:08 PM »
You could have someone else be the administrator for this round.  They would receive the songs and wagers, then they would just send you the links for you to judge.  Once you have the rank, you and the admin match up the songs and appropriate points to the participants.

If too much has already been given away for this round, I guess people could use that strategy for future roulettes.
Winger would be better!

. . . and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

Offline theseoafs

« Reply #186 on: August 19, 2013, 09:00:04 PM »
That would have been a good idea.

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
« Reply #187 on: August 21, 2013, 05:19:32 PM »
Not bumping to rush theseoafs, just in case anyone still has to submit.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #188 on: August 21, 2013, 05:39:26 PM »
I'll respond to rush him.

LET'S GO!!!!  THE EARTH ISN'T TURNING ANY SLOWER!!!

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #189 on: August 23, 2013, 12:18:46 PM »
So, uhm, you know, how is this going?
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline theseoafs

« Reply #190 on: August 23, 2013, 03:01:28 PM »
TONIGHT.

Offline theseoafs

« Reply #191 on: August 23, 2013, 06:27:47 PM »
Alright guys, here we go, round 8 results.  The identities of 3 of the submitters ended up remaining unknown to me, so we don't know our winner quite yet.  Either way, it's been fun, and I hope you guys have enjoyed these 3 weeks or however long it's been.  Let's get to the ranking: 

5.  Ninja's submission:  Heather Dale - Mordred's Lullaby:  A risky submission that didn't go so well.  This one has an odd atmospheric Celtic sound, replete with chanting and what I believe is a didgeridoo.  It was interesting, but I ultimately wasn't all that into it.  Ah, well.  Ninja bet 20 points.

4.  Someone's submission:   Orianthi - Heaven In This Hell:  This one's alright.  Sort of a modern southern rock sound.  Cute singer.  Bassist is really, really good.  I was most interested in the outro, which featured a beautiful acoustic guitar.  Wikipedia tells me this Orianthi has been playing acoustic guitar since she was 6.  I would have liked to hear her explore that soundscape a bit more.  Submitter bet 30 points.

3.  Someone's submission:  Tetrafusion - Monologue:  I was unsure about this one, which is why it's in the limbo of 3rd place.  There were a lot of brilliant moments, like the introductory riff, the epic outro, and that crazy bridge at 1:22 which has, to quote JR, "one of the coolest riffs".  This young band has a lot of potential.  At the same time, I wasn't exactly captivated by all of the band's ideas.  The vocal melodies are pretty uninteresting (particularly during the verses), and the riffs can get a bit repetitive.  Submitter bet 104 points, but will not be getting (or losing) any of them.

2.  Someone’s submission:  Maestrick - Lake of Emotions:  Also a risky submission, given that I don't think I've exactly rewarded extremely long songs throughout the course of this roulette.  This one clocks in at 21 minutes, but (thankfully) it doesn't feel nearly that long.  Really impressed with the bassist, and the vocal harmonies are great (as we would expect from a prog band).  Really energetic with some frantic moments, but it builds up to a beautiful climax beginning at 14:20.  Sort of an odd drum sound, but that's not a deal breaker.  Happy to hear a talented female vocalist in some sections.  Fantastic outro, though there's prog tastiness throughout.  Congratulations, someone, you get your bet of "everything" back.

1.  jingle's submission:  Chain - Hot to Cold:  jingle guaran-damn-teed a scoring submission, so here it is.  Really fantastic piece.  Strong throughout, though honestly I was sold by the breakdown at 0:40.  Fantastic verses, and all of the instrumental interludes were really awesome.  Good work.  Chad let it ride and will be doubling his score.

... So there it is.  Here are our standings as of the last round:

1.  Lonestar: 130
2.  DTVT: 105
3.  jingle 89
4.  Elite: 30
5.  Ninja: 20

Ninja lost his 20 points and will be concluding the game with 0 points.  Sorry about that buddy.  I can't be positive, but it seems like Elite submitted the Orianthi song (the bet matches his score, and the song is sonically similar to some of the others he's sent throughout this roulette and the last).  So it seems like he'll end the game with 0 points as well (though we'll have to wait for his input before we're absolutely sure).  jingle won his bet back and 89 times 2 is 178 if my elementary school math education doesn't fail me.  Assuming Elite submitted the Orianthi song, that leaves DTVT and Lonestar to get 2nd and 3rd place, though I'm unsure which is which.  Whoever's responsible for Maestrick will double their score and take the crown, and whoever's responsible for Tetrafusion will fall back to third place (though with a happy super-100 point score).  So who is it?

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
« Reply #192 on: August 23, 2013, 06:32:17 PM »
noooooooooooooooo

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #193 on: August 23, 2013, 06:57:11 PM »
Since he's on vacation, I'll spill the beans.

Tetrafusion = Doc
Maestrick = chef

Doc's been a big Tetrafusion guy for a while (got me in to them, and they're #11 on his YET UNFINISHED TOP 50 V2!!!).  Chef just discovered Maestrick, and has pimped them hard recently, including a dreamy review of the album on ladyobscure.com.  Personally, I was underwhelmed on first listen, but committed to going back and giving it another shot.

I'm happy with my result... couple of first place and second place finishes in this roulette, and losing to the guy that has the hot hand right now ain't anything worth sneezing at.

Nicely run roulette.  Gonna miss this one.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #194 on: August 23, 2013, 07:26:13 PM »
Awwwwwwww yeah!!!!!

:RJ:

Awesome roulette man, total props to everyone!!!

*goes back to vacationing*

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #195 on: August 24, 2013, 03:46:31 AM »
The Orianthi song was indeed mine ;p
Thanks for running it and congrats to the winner! This was a fun roulette indeed :)
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey