Author Topic: H's song roulette, version 2  (Read 9224 times)

Offline Jaffa

• Just Jaffa
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: H's song roulette, version 2
« Reply #35 on: August 01, 2013, 06:19:50 PM »
BRUTAL submissions so far, but I'm not done yet. I'll get it finished in the next three days.

Trying to decide if 'brutal' is a good thing or a bad thing in this context.  Brutal as in 'this is painfully bad  :\' or brutal as in 'this is so metal  :metal'.
Sincerely,
Jaffa

Offline Ħ

« Reply #36 on: August 01, 2013, 07:13:02 PM »
Brutal as in really :metal

Probably not three days. I could do it tomorrow. I just like to put a good bit of space in between each listen to help clear my mind.
"All great works are prepared in the desert, including the redemption of the world. The precursors, the followers, the Master Himself, all obeyed or have to obey one and the same law. Prophets, apostles, preachers, martyrs, pioneers of knowledge, inspired artists in every art, ordinary men and the Man-God, all pay tribute to loneliness, to the life of silence, to the night." - A. G. Sertillanges

Offline Jaffa

• Just Jaffa
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #37 on: August 01, 2013, 08:06:14 PM »
Ah, good.  I was hoping that was what you meant.   :D
Sincerely,
Jaffa

Offline Ħ

« Reply #38 on: August 04, 2013, 08:48:41 PM »
Scorpion - Adagio - "Domination"

That's what I'm talking about. Sorta reminds me of Symphony X's better side. An awesome band I've heard named dropped alongside other prog metal giants but I've never bothered to check them out. A solid track. 4 points

Destiny Of Chaos - Machine Head - "Halo"

I've heard of this band too. Very chunky and gnarly stuff. You really can't get heavier than this. Killer from beginning to end. Easily a contender for the best song of the round. :metal :metal :metal 4 points

theseoafs - Nevermore - "Born"

You're lucky the instrumental stuff was so freaking good, because the singer was not my thing. I'll give you 3 points. So close theseoafs but you've gotta really blow me out of the water if you want to get ahead. (You can do it!)

Jaffa - Godsmack - "Speak"

Uhhhh Adrenaline Mob is off limits. JK. A solid effort. I wasn't completely blown away (it was a little too generic, like something I'd hear on WWE) but the song was still pretty tight. Great vocalist, probably the best of the round. Also, Queensryche did the "Speak!" end of the song thing loooong before Godsmack. Just sayin'. 3 points

lonestar - Tears of Anger - "Light Up My Fuse"

I didn't get it really. Sorry loney. :( 2 points

The winner of round three is......again Destiny of Chaos! Congrats you get 3 bonus points. And he takes the lead! Overall, a very solid round in general; I didn't dislike anything to say the least!

Anyway, I'll explain to you what we'll be doing. Round Four is a wager round. That means you can choose to wager if you want to. If you don't, it will be the same scoring system for you. Wager up to however many points you have. You'll either lose your wager or win it (there is no middle option where you neither win nor lose). The 4 points for Round Four's winner will be applied after the winnings are calculated. Make sense?

Round Four's theme is mellow. You have to send me something a little softer, heartfelt, possibly somber. Something along the lines of Piano Man or something. The category is pretty loose though. It just has to be a more mellow track.

Destiny Of Chaos - 14 points
Scorpion - 12 points
theseoafs - 9 points
Jaffa - 9 points
lonestar - 7 points
"All great works are prepared in the desert, including the redemption of the world. The precursors, the followers, the Master Himself, all obeyed or have to obey one and the same law. Prophets, apostles, preachers, martyrs, pioneers of knowledge, inspired artists in every art, ordinary men and the Man-God, all pay tribute to loneliness, to the life of silence, to the night." - A. G. Sertillanges

Offline Jaffa

• Just Jaffa
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #39 on: August 04, 2013, 09:40:59 PM »
I'm actually pleasantly surprised I got a 3 for Godsmack.  I felt pretty confident about it when I sent it, but after I sent it, I immediately regretted it.  For some reason I had the feeling you were going to hate it.  Glad that's not the case! 

I'll start thinking about an entry for round 4.  Got a song in mind, but... it'd be risky.  We'll see.  If I don't come up with anything better, I'll go with it.  Either way I'll try to submit by tomorrow at the latest.
Sincerely,
Jaffa

Offline theseoafs

• When the lights go down in the city, and the sun shines on the bayyyyy
  • Hello! My name is Elder Price
« Reply #40 on: August 04, 2013, 09:48:07 PM »
Damn, I was pretty confident about that song, too.  Oh, well, I was expecting to fail so tied-for-second-to-last isn't so bad.  I'll try to send by this evening.

Offline theseoafs

« Reply #41 on: August 04, 2013, 09:58:16 PM »
... Sent.  Turns out I knew just the song.  It's pretty different than anything else that's been sent so far, but hopefully it's good enough to get me out of my 3-point rut.

Offline Ħ

« Reply #42 on: August 04, 2013, 10:06:14 PM »
I gotta say, I'm not impressed with the Round Four submissions so far. Step it up guys!

Offline theseoafs

« Reply #43 on: August 04, 2013, 10:08:48 PM »
Well, shit :lol

Offline Jaffa

• Just Jaffa
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #44 on: August 04, 2013, 10:09:13 PM »
I was just about to send something and now I'm second-guessing myself.  Thanks, H.   :lol
Sincerely,
Jaffa

Offline Ħ

« Reply #45 on: August 04, 2013, 10:09:26 PM »
I'm just playin'. ;) I haven't even listened to anything yet.

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
« Reply #46 on: August 04, 2013, 10:10:49 PM »
 :lol :lol

Offline Jaffa

• Just Jaffa
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #47 on: August 04, 2013, 10:22:03 PM »
I'm just playin'. ;) I haven't even listened to anything yet.

:lol  Jerk.

Okay, sent.  Went with my first instinct on this one - it was literally the first song that popped into my head when I read the word 'mellow'.  I don't expect it to win the roulette for me or anything, but I think you might really like it.  It's... probably quite a bit softer than you were expecting.  I'll look forward to seeing what you think.  :)
Sincerely,
Jaffa

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #48 on: August 06, 2013, 02:37:40 PM »
Scorpion - Adagio - "Domination"

That's what I'm talking about. Sorta reminds me of Symphony X's better side. An awesome band I've heard named dropped alongside other prog metal giants but I've never bothered to check them out. A solid track. 4 points

Destiny Of Chaos - Machine Head - "Halo"

I've heard of this band too. Very chunky and gnarly stuff. You really can't get heavier than this. Killer from beginning to end. Easily a contender for the best song of the round. :metal :metal :metal 4 points

theseoafs - Nevermore - "Born"

You're lucky the instrumental stuff was so freaking good, because the singer was not my thing. I'll give you 3 points. So close theseoafs but you've gotta really blow me out of the water if you want to get ahead. (You can do it!)

Jaffa - Godsmack - "Speak"

Uhhhh Adrenaline Mob is off limits. JK. A solid effort. I wasn't completely blown away (it was a little too generic, like something I'd hear on WWE) but the song was still pretty tight. Great vocalist, probably the best of the round. Also, Queensryche did the "Speak!" end of the song thing loooong before Godsmack. Just sayin'. 3 points

lonestar - Tears of Anger - "Light Up My Fuse"

I didn't get it really. Sorry loney. :( 2 points

The winner of round three is......again Destiny of Chaos! Congrats you get 3 bonus points. And he takes the lead! Overall, a very solid round in general; I didn't dislike anything to say the least!

Anyway, I'll explain to you what we'll be doing. Round Four is a wager round. That means you can choose to wager if you want to. If you don't, it will be the same scoring system for you. Wager up to however many points you have. You'll either lose your wager or win it (there is no middle option where you neither win nor lose). The 4 points for Round Four's winner will be applied after the winnings are calculated. Make sense?

Round Four's theme is mellow. You have to send me something a little softer, heartfelt, possibly somber. Something along the lines of Piano Man or something. The category is pretty loose though. It just has to be a more mellow track.

Destiny Of Chaos - 14 points
Scorpion - 12 points
theseoafs - 9 points
Jaffa - 9 points
lonestar - 7 points

:metal :metal :metal

Love the other picks as well, especially that Nevermore!

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ragnarök around the Clöck!
« Reply #49 on: August 06, 2013, 03:54:50 PM »
Wait, did I send? I think I did.
scorpion is my favorite deathcore lobster
Hey, the length is fine :azn: Thanks!

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #50 on: August 06, 2013, 04:48:17 PM »
DAYUM!!! Chef has finally met his match, and his hot streak comes to an end.  Although, that Tears of Anger song rocked my fuckin socks off when he gave it to me in my roulette - it's just too bad he'd been eliminated by that point.  :lol
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #51 on: August 06, 2013, 06:30:21 PM »
I know man, I'm so confused.......

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #52 on: August 06, 2013, 06:34:50 PM »

Like a baby in a topless bar
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Ħ

« Reply #53 on: August 06, 2013, 06:45:07 PM »
Nope, yours is the only one left.

Offline theseoafs

« Reply #54 on: August 06, 2013, 06:49:32 PM »
hah, and here I am thinking we might've gotten results today :lol

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #55 on: August 06, 2013, 07:09:06 PM »

Like a baby in a topless bar

Gotta remember that one for work.

Offline Jaffa

• Just Jaffa
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #56 on: August 06, 2013, 07:23:44 PM »
hah, and here I am thinking we might've gotten results today :lol

Yep.  I saw that H had posted and opened the thread expectantly.    :lol
Sincerely,
Jaffa

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #57 on: August 07, 2013, 02:34:59 AM »
Nope, yours is the only one left.
AH GOD I'M SORRY SENDING RIGHT NOW

Offline theseoafs

« Reply #58 on: August 07, 2013, 08:27:15 AM »
Come on, dude! :lol

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #59 on: August 07, 2013, 08:28:05 AM »
I have sent. Sorry again.

Offline theseoafs

« Reply #60 on: August 07, 2013, 10:39:20 PM »
Here's hoping for results today.  I am eager to see how badly I am now destroying everyone else in the competition.

Offline Jaffa

• Just Jaffa
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #61 on: August 07, 2013, 10:40:38 PM »
I myself keep expecting H to hate what I sent and give me a score of -6. 
Sincerely,
Jaffa

Offline theseoafs

« Reply #62 on: August 10, 2013, 09:37:57 PM »
okay so what is happening

Offline Jaffa

• Just Jaffa
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #63 on: August 13, 2013, 01:24:13 AM »
Bumping back to page one.
Sincerely,
Jaffa

Offline Ħ

« Reply #64 on: August 13, 2013, 12:36:25 PM »
Sorry about the delay everyone!

A preemptive statement so you aren’t all mad at me – my standards for this round were pretty high. I can’t be handing out 4’s left and right anymore.

Destiny of Chaos – Pain of Salvation – “This Heart of Mine (I Pledge)”
I’ve given POS many chances, and I haven’t heard this song of theirs before, but I didn’t dig it. It didn’t do anything for me. Sorry man. You wagered 5 points, so you lose 5 points.

Scorpion – Placebo – “The Crawl”
Sorry Scorp but I really didn’t like this. Fortunately for you , you didn’t choose to wager, so you don’t lose any points. So you get 1 point per the regular scoring system.

Theseoafs – SufjanStevens – “Casiir Pulaski Day”
Decent. Pretty guitar but I wasn’t too into the vocalist or the lyrics. Trying too hard to be Simon and Garfunkel. Hate to say it but I wasn’t too into it mate. You wagered all your points, so…well, RIP.

Jaffa – Fleet Foxes – “Helplessness Blues”
Solid song, Jaffa! Great job. It wasn’t even sad (it didn’t have to be) but it had this quiet confidence about it. I really enjoyed this track. You wagered 5 points, so you get 5 points.

Lonestar – The Who – “Acoustic Tea and Theatre”
I didn't love it but didn't hate it either. I liked it. Fortunately for you, it was just good enough to get you to win your wager back. You wagered everything so you get 7 points.

And the winner of Round Four is...Jaffa! Congratulations buddy, you get 4 bonus points! This round shook up the rankings quite a bit:

Jaffa – 18 points
lonestar - 14 points
Scorpion - 13 points
Destiny of Chaos - 9 points
Theseoafs – 0 points

Now we are on to Round Five which is the semifinals! There are three special rules for Round Five:

1. Submit two songs. (each song less than 10 minutes please)
2. The submitter of the best song of the round gets a spot in the finals.
3. The submitter of the second best song of the round gets 5 bonus points.

So the final round will have two competitors - one is the winner of Round Four and the other is the person with the next highest amount of points. Get it? OK, get your submissions in!
« Last Edit: August 13, 2013, 03:07:19 PM by Ħ »

Offline theseoafs

« Reply #65 on: August 13, 2013, 01:05:06 PM »
 :lol  Ah, well.  That Sufjan song is one of the most beautiful songs I know, so I dunno where to go from here.  It's been fun everyone.

Offline Jaffa

• Just Jaffa
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #66 on: August 13, 2013, 01:48:27 PM »
I'm... winning?  What the hell?   :lol  Awesome, though!  Glad you liked the Fleet Foxes song!  Yeah, I kind of ignored the 'somber' criteria, but when it comes to mellow, soft, and heartfelt, I felt like Helplessness Blues was pretty much a perfect fit. 

Couple things about the latest standings.  Shouldn't lonestar have 14 points?  You said he won his wager of 7, but in the standings you've got him listed as having 7 total.  And also, if I won my wager of 5 plus got 4 bonus points, shouldn't I be at 18 now?  Or am I just misunderstanding something?

Also, real quick, no theme for the two songs we submit this round?  Just, whatever we feel like? 
Sincerely,
Jaffa

Offline Ħ

« Reply #67 on: August 13, 2013, 03:06:35 PM »
Nice catch, I'll change that.

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #68 on: August 13, 2013, 04:13:10 PM »
Thanks jaffa, good looking out man.  :tup

Offline Jaffa

• Just Jaffa
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #69 on: August 13, 2013, 04:17:42 PM »
Thanks jaffa, good looking out man.  :tup

No problem.  You'll notice I was careful to make sure I still had the lead - otherwise I might not have pointed it out.   :lol

Anyway, sent.  I'm really not sure why I sent what I sent, but, we'll see how it goes. 
Sincerely,
Jaffa