Author Topic: I've decided not to listen to the single  (Read 12132 times)

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
Re: I've decided not to listen to the single
« Reply #140 on: August 25, 2013, 06:43:29 AM »
I've heard it about 10 times. I'm trying to to overplay it so I don't skip it when the album comes out.  I do that too much.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Tis BOOLsheet

• Banned
« Reply #141 on: August 25, 2013, 08:31:52 PM »
To be honest I don't think TEI would be a great concert opener (not just because of my opinion on the song, but because it doesn't really sound like an opening song to my ears), but maybe my opinion will change when I hear it together with False Awakening Suite.

My original intention was to listen to TEI only once, but I wanted to watch the lyric video and after that I wanted to give the song one more chance, but I'm still not impressed.

I tend to agree with you. I don't really feel this tune as an opener. I'd see it after a ballad, as something to bring the energy level back up. But for some reason I don't think this would be a great way to open up a DT concert. I thought Bridges was a beastly opener. I thought it was amazing. The Shaman intro after the concert intro gave you a feeling like "oh shit, this place is about to defecate any minute now." I think you open a show up with one of your strongest tunes. TEI is not that.

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #142 on: August 26, 2013, 12:25:31 AM »
Yeah, I'm sure BITS kicked ass live (didn't see DT on the ADTOE tour), but the opening riff to TEI would be pretty underwhelming as the first thing played by the band at a concert.

Offline aprilethereal

« Reply #143 on: August 26, 2013, 01:07:49 AM »
Although BITS is miles ahead of TEI, I still think TEI would make a good opener. It's a heavy, memorable and ass-kicking song, and thus it would be a great start of the show IMO.

Offline Daso

• A cultivator of dread
« Reply #144 on: August 26, 2013, 04:52:16 PM »
Yeah, I'm sure BITS kicked ass live (didn't see DT on the ADTOE tour), but the opening riff to TEI would be pretty underwhelming as the first thing played by the band at a concert.

You'll get to see it in LALP, anyways. I saw it a few nights before Luna Park's show and I pretty much felt the venue would fall apart.

In any case, with TEI being a heavy, fast song with a few  :hefdaddy parts, I think it will make for a nice opener. Perhaps another song off the new album can be a nice opener, too.

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
« Reply #145 on: August 30, 2013, 01:38:35 PM »
btw, still haven't heard it. :P

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #146 on: September 01, 2013, 01:35:10 PM »
btw, still haven't heard it. :P

Technically I have heard a few snippets now.

I watched one of the interviews about a week ago and part of the new song was used on either side of it.

I don't know if this is good or bad, but it didn't leave an impression on me one way or the other.

Offline cyberdrummer

• Setlist Guru and DT.net Veteran
« Reply #147 on: September 01, 2013, 01:49:16 PM »
FWIW, I think in the context of following False Awakening Suite, I think TEI will work well as an opener. You'd better get used to the idea, I'm pretty sure that's what's gonna happen at every show! :lol

Offline eosforum

« Reply #148 on: September 01, 2013, 01:52:57 PM »
I guess the first part of FAS will be the intro music and then Night Terror (the 2nd part) will be the actual opener.

Offline cyberdrummer

• Setlist Guru and DT.net Veteran
« Reply #149 on: September 01, 2013, 01:56:53 PM »
No, I'm certain that the entirety of FAS will be an intro tape, then the full band will kick in with TEI.

Offline Ħ

« Reply #150 on: September 09, 2013, 10:27:03 AM »
I totally understand why someone would preserve their ears for an optimal listening experience when the album comes out. You may also wish to try the following.

1) Earmuffs

You may have heard it takes three weeks to develop a habit. But I say to you, six weeks will turn a habit into a lifestyle. Put on these earmuffs today - don't delay. Why? This will "purify" your hearing, so to speak. When you reach the end of the sixth week, remove the headphones and immediately play the album. The sound of Dream Theater will refresh you like a cool waterfall, awakening your senses with the sound of music.

2) 5.1 Dolby Surround Sound System

You may have heard that CDs are greater than MP3s, and vinyl records are greater than CDs. But I say to you, the surround sound experience is the greatest of them all. When you play in stereo, you are but a casual movie-goer voyeur viewing a projection on a screen. But when you play in surround, you are on the set. Swords clash and arrows fwip all around you. Don't be afraid to crawl inside the music. Surround sound is the only way you can become one with Dream Theater.

3) Juice Cleanse

You may think this is an odd bit of advice. Why, you may ask, is this relevant to my listening experience of a new album? Thou hypocrite. Dost thou know that this Dream Theater is the greatest of all? You listen to no mere album by no mere progressive metal band. When you tread on holy ground, you must be pure. Purge the poison from your body with the Toxin Flush, a powerful blend of juiced apples, spinach, kale, parsley, and ginger. Bring radiance to your face with The Glow, a complex drink based on a variety of fruits and vegetables with a base of oranges, carrots, and cucumber. You say you want an optimal listening experience? You must prepare yourself for an optimal listening experience.

These three things will plunge you into an ocean of ecstasy. Happy listening.
"All great works are prepared in the desert, including the redemption of the world. The precursors, the followers, the Master Himself, all obeyed or have to obey one and the same law. Prophets, apostles, preachers, martyrs, pioneers of knowledge, inspired artists in every art, ordinary men and the Man-God, all pay tribute to loneliness, to the life of silence, to the night." - A. G. Sertillanges

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
« Reply #151 on: September 09, 2013, 10:28:59 AM »
 :lol

Offline Shadow2222

« Reply #152 on: September 09, 2013, 11:49:33 AM »
 :) Very nice.

I am staying strong this time, and I refuse to listen to the track until the album is in my hands.
"A pitch black night unfolds with the morning star as its only light... and thus the saga... begins" - Shenhua (Shenmue series)

Offline Onno

• Well, it's just entertainment, folks!
« Reply #153 on: September 09, 2013, 01:08:51 PM »
:) Very nice.

I am staying strong this time, and I refuse to listen to the track until the album is in my hands.
Same here.

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #154 on: September 09, 2013, 01:25:53 PM »
Wouldn't it be interesting if someone made a thread like "I've decided not to listen to the new album"?

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
« Reply #155 on: September 09, 2013, 01:26:38 PM »
But for how long? Forever? I don't think I could do that. :lol

Offline RoeDent

• 2006 Time Magazine Person of the Year
« Reply #156 on: September 09, 2013, 02:31:29 PM »
FWIW, I think in the context of following False Awakening Suite, I think TEI will work well as an opener.

I thought this exact thought earlier. It's all about context. Maybe opinion will change when it's heard next to FAS.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #157 on: September 11, 2013, 03:47:16 PM »
Wouldn't it be interesting if someone made a thread like "I've decided not to listen to the new album"?

Possibly, But I'm only holding out until the album is in my hands.

Offline Ħ

« Reply #158 on: September 11, 2013, 09:30:09 PM »
I've decided not to listen to music for the next 10 years.
"All great works are prepared in the desert, including the redemption of the world. The precursors, the followers, the Master Himself, all obeyed or have to obey one and the same law. Prophets, apostles, preachers, martyrs, pioneers of knowledge, inspired artists in every art, ordinary men and the Man-God, all pay tribute to loneliness, to the life of silence, to the night." - A. G. Sertillanges

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
« Reply #159 on: September 11, 2013, 09:36:43 PM »
I'm not surprised.

Offline Dark Castle

• DTF.org Member
  • SmegmaPrincessX
« Reply #160 on: September 11, 2013, 09:54:03 PM »
If serious, why?

Offline adamack

« Reply #161 on: September 11, 2013, 10:23:49 PM »
Your faith in me is invigorating. :lol

I will hunt you down and force you to listen to it.

It's like rape...

but with your ears

and Dream Theater.

I am going to rape your ears with Dream Theater

I Lol'd

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
« Reply #162 on: September 24, 2013, 06:14:55 PM »
So, today I finally heard The Enemy Inside (as well as the rest of Dream Theater). It was really good! :D  Probably one of the top songs on the album for me.

Offline aprilethereal

« Reply #163 on: September 25, 2013, 01:46:58 AM »
So, today I finally heard The Enemy Inside (as well as the rest of Dream Theater). It was really good! :D  Probably one of the top songs on the album for me.

:tup

Offline adastra

« Reply #164 on: September 25, 2013, 05:27:01 AM »
Yeah, Still going strong!!! I'm not gonna listen to the single! NEVER EVER!  ;D

Stay by my side / as I fade / so you can point to the end of my struggle /and the twilight of eternal days / at the low, dark edge of life.