Author Topic: how did you discover Dream Theater?  (Read 11098 times)

Offline Dellers

• Funky Norwegian!
Re: how did you discover Dream Theater?
« Reply #70 on: July 28, 2013, 10:14:28 AM »
I usually never remember stuff like this, but I think I checked them out after a couple of guys in my high school class had been to their 2005 concert in Oslo and said it was great. Took a while before I got into them though, I just listened to a few TOT songs every now and then. I guess I started to like the band a lot in 2007 or so.
https://soundcloud.com/dellers2/jpxi-o
Religious faith can only exist when there is no God, otherwise there wouldn't be a reason to believe.

Offline Virtualman64

« Reply #71 on: July 28, 2013, 10:58:27 AM »
Hmm? I discovered JP first I think with the G3 tour. Being a guitar player myself I had never encountered such technical ability!Also,I was ,and am a huge Rush fan and in searching for similar bands I ran across DT.The first album I bought was Budakon,and at first I wasn't really impressed with Jame's voice(took some getting used to like Geddy's I guess)But on the musicianship alone I was hooked.Went and bought the entire catalog except for WDADU(which I still don't own).   

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #72 on: July 29, 2013, 06:30:57 PM »
Looks like I'm the third longest fan here (fourth when Scotty gets here.)

"The Spirit Of Rush Fanzine Number 8 which I bought in New York City about August 1989. On the back inside cover was a Dream Theater feature and When Dream and Day Unite album review that was reprinted from an issue of Kerrang (Never found out what issue it was)
There weren't too many recent bands recording music that I liked in the late 80s save for maybe Kings X, Queensryche, Faith No More and Living Colour.
The feature and review mentioned influences such as Rush, The Dixie Dregs, Kansas, Emerson, Lake and Palmer and at that time it didn't seem like anyone new was recording music with those influences so I was easily suckered in.
I couldn't find the CD anywhere and was forced to spend $17 at a mall chain store for it. I listened to it constantly for about 3 solid months until Presto came out. I never heard another word about them until I stumbled on their mispelled name on the marquee at the Ritz November 14, 1989 opening for the Hogarth-fronted Marillion's debut in New York City.
Yes, I was lucky.
Never heard a word about them again until I found a promo copy of Images and Words for $5 at a spring 1992 record show. It took me a while to get used to James' voice since I'd been listening to Charlie for about 3 years, but I got used to it. James has improved SO much since then.

Anyway, I'll leave you with this amusing quote (I'm not sure who is responsible for it but I think it was the editor) regarding When Dream And Day Unite from The Spirit Of Rush Number 9 (Fall 1989)

"The aforementioned opener (A Fortune In Lies) sums up the album completely--a dense hard rockers paradise with more time changes than the entire Rush and Yes back catalogs put together. A drummer who puts Neil Peart to shame, a vocalist fully capable of holding his own and a sound so full that it actually takes 20 plays to hear everything that's going on in the mix, and all this perfectly crafted and laid down on tape in just four weeks.
Quite frankly, this album rubbishes at least three Rush albums, and the entire Yes series, Emerson, Lake and Palmer's Brain Salad Surgery being the only album I can think of in the same league. I never thought it would happen, but this album makes something like Signals sound resolutely boring; I know I'm going to get hate mail for saying so, but I have to be honest...
If Geddy, Neil and Alex have heard this album, then they probably reacted in one of two ways--become blubbering nervous wrecks, in the knowledge they have some serious young competition, or (hopefully) they have pulled out their fingers in order to show that they can indeed rise to the occasion. This album will either bring out the best in our friends or finish them off..."

That quote was what sold me being a Rush fan.

First CD 1989: When Dream And Day Unite
First Cassette 1992: When Dream and Day Unite promo
First Vinyl 1990: When Dream and Day Unite
First CD single 1990: Afterlife promo
First Cassette single 1992: Another Day
First Video 1993: Live At The Marquee
First DVD 2001: Metropolis 2000 Scenes From New York

Offline The Stray Seed

• There is no greater Evil than the indifference of Good men.
  • non mihi, non tibi, sed Nobis.
« Reply #73 on: July 30, 2013, 04:15:13 AM »
Thank you ytserush for these precious memories.

I was hooked when I first heard Metropolis Part I. I thought it was so strange and exciting. So hugely different from anything I'd heard before. I was 15 and it was 1999. And then SFAM came out. Been a full-time fan since then.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #74 on: July 30, 2013, 06:37:54 AM »
Oddly, a few years before I actually discovered Dream Theater, I was doing my college radio show in the late 80's. I remember seeing this new album in the bin by a band called Dream Theater. I thought, wow, that's a cool name for a band. I checked it out "in cue" which basically is used for "cueing up" the next record. By no means is the audio great at all. Well, whereever I dropped the needle, I could hear the drums and the keys and it sounded kind of artsy. Unfortunately, the guitars did not come through, and being that I was doing a metal show, I chocked it up to a new artsy band.
Plus the album cover was so queer, and the band pic was worse!

Well, a few years later, I was in full blown I&W mode. Even had Live At The Marquee. Well, I decide to finally order the first DT album. I knew it had a different singer, but whatever. When I got the CD in the mail, I opened it and immediately recognized the cover. I was like, Holy Shit!. There's that album that I had in my hands 4 years earlier!
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Full Speed

« Reply #75 on: July 30, 2013, 06:59:16 AM »
In late 1999 or early 2000, a friend kept telling me how good a song "Metropolis part 2" by Dream Theater was. Couldn't find any Metropolis part 2, but I listened to Metropolis Pt. 1 and it blew me away. Figured out Metropolis part 2 was actaully a CD, so I went out and got that. Listened to it for a good while before getting anything else, eventually I got all of their past albums, in this order, as I could afford them (I was only 14):

I&W > Awake > ACOS > FII > WDADU

Been a fan ever since. While I don't like most of their more recent efforts as much as those earlier albums, I'm still a huge fan. Really liked ADTOE and hope the S/T keeps things fresh.

Offline jdprsaga

« Reply #76 on: July 30, 2013, 08:00:03 AM »
around christmas/new year season 93-94, I was 12.. my brother show up with live at the marquee  CD. I saw it and liked the art so i gave it a spin

metropolis pt1  - :o
a fortune in lies -  :metal
bombay vindaloo  -  :hefdaddy :flame: :omg: :o Jiiiiiizzzzzzz....

Obsessed with DT ever since.

listening to bombay vindaloo right now ..

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #77 on: July 30, 2013, 08:52:09 AM »
Hi there DTF! Long, long time lurker here, first time poster, I have decided to take a dive into this forum!  I figured a good first post would be about how I discovered DT. 

A friend in high school who I started to play guitar with turned me on to some of his favorite guitar players, including Satriani, Vai, and all those G3 guys.  Included in that bunch was Petrucci, I remember being blown away watching him on the G3 Live in Tokyo DVD and wondering who the heck this guy was!  My friend informed me of who he was and his band called Dream Theater.  My buddy had the LaB DVD, shared it with me and I was hooked.  My first DT album was Train of Thought, so I guess I fall into that category of DT fans that were exposed to their heavy attributes initially, but since then I have come to appreciate all the unique characteristics that make DT special.

I have been a loyal follower ever since then!  :metal 

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #78 on: July 30, 2013, 09:38:45 AM »
Pull Me Under on the radio, been hooked since. A little sidenote, it was about a month or so between hearing it on the radio and buying the album for me, so I do remember getting uber fucking stoked every time 96.9 The Eagle played it., I'd be all "Fuck Yeah, it's that song again!!!!" and then proceed to slaughter the lyrics in the kitchen at full volume.

:metal :metal :metal
That is enough like my story that I will just quote this one.   :metal :metal
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline lyfeternl

« Reply #79 on: July 30, 2013, 09:44:57 AM »
I walked in on Petrucci making sweet love to his guitar in Hollow Years L@B. It was not only my introduction to Dream Theater, but also my introduction to what has become an obsession with music of a higher quality. A life altering event.

This.

Live at Budokan was my introduction to DT and a great one at that! Needless to say, they've been my favorite band since. Hollow Years and INTOG during this set were absolutely amazing!  :metal
"...the last is just a flurry of notes...so just do it and hope you don't suck..." - JP

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #80 on: July 30, 2013, 09:56:09 AM »
I walked in on Petrucci making sweet love to his guitar in Hollow Years L@B. It was not only my introduction to Dream Theater, but also my introduction to what has become an obsession with music of a higher quality. A life altering event.

This.

Live at Budokan was my introduction to DT and a great one at that! Needless to say, they've been my favorite band since. Hollow Years and INTOG during this set were absolutely amazing!  :metal

Yeah I agree, LaB was my intro to DT as well and that Hollow Years solo....!! Truly incredible guitar work, as a guitar player, the first time I watched that solo I wanted to never play the instrument again (why even bother, lol) and at the same time I was inspired to pick up a guitar and play right then and there!

Offline lyfeternl

« Reply #81 on: July 30, 2013, 10:06:16 AM »

This.

Yeah I agree, LaB was my intro to DT as well and that Hollow Years solo....!! Truly incredible guitar work, as a guitar player, the first time I watched that solo I wanted to never play the instrument again (why even bother, lol) and at the same time I was inspired to pick up a guitar and play right then and there!

Haha, TOTALLY had the same reaction. Being a guitar player and my buddy who also loves DT and plays bass, we constantly listen/watch them play and say "we give up"
"...the last is just a flurry of notes...so just do it and hope you don't suck..." - JP

Offline GandL

« Reply #82 on: July 30, 2013, 10:14:37 AM »
Back in 1992, listening to the local Rock FM radio in Montreal, Pull me Under, ... liked it and got the CD. And then I saw them live in a small club in Montreal in 1992 or 1993.

Then one night in 1999, working with a contractor, this guy had two CDs, FII and SFaM,  I said, wow you know them ? They have new music ? I burned these two on my laptop to see how they did evolved, and the next day I was at the store to buy all that was already released from them.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2013, 10:20:03 AM by GandL »

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #83 on: July 30, 2013, 10:18:39 AM »

This.

Haha, TOTALLY had the same reaction. Being a guitar player and my buddy who also loves DT and plays bass, we constantly listen/watch them play and say "we give up"

Haha yeah! I'm glad I'm not the only one!! Its this interesting paradox of wanting to "give up" as you put it and at the same time being very inspired by what is quite obviously amazing ability and wanting to be able to achieve something that might be close to that someday.

Offline JonnyM93

« Reply #84 on: July 30, 2013, 10:31:20 AM »
I first got into DT at about age 15 by playing rock band. At that age I was just into mainstream stuff and alternative rock (late bloomer I know). But I loved the song Panic Attack, though I never looked for anything else by them.
Then I made a new friend when I was 16 and one day he showed me Metropolis Part 1. My first thought was: "This guy sings too high, I don't like it". But he told me to keep listening to them, they would grow on me. I finally decided to buy I&W just for fun.
I still remember the first day they "clicked". By that time I was getting into heavier rock. So I was mowing the lawn and listening to Pull Me Under for the 10th time, when it got to the chorus... BAM!! Huge chills down my spine. Same thing happened with Metropolis. I knew then I was hooked, so I bought 8VM next, then SC, Six Degrees, BC&SL, Awake, TOT, ACOS, SFAM, and ADTOE was the first one I was waiting for (which turned out to be in my top 3), and got into each one of them before buying the next. Truly changed my musical life.

Offline Shadow2222

« Reply #85 on: July 30, 2013, 10:55:32 AM »
This was my very first post here back in 2009:

I wish I had some cool story, but the truth is last September, I had just got Rock Band 2 for my 17th birthday. I already had Rock Band 1 and had downloaded Constant Motion (simply because it sounded hard to play on Expert guitar). I honestly thought the song sucked, but my friend kept asking me to play it because he liked to see me play (or should I say butcher?) the solo. He hated the song itself though (he was just starting to like metal).

Anyways, then I saw that this band had a song in RB2, so I started thinking to myself, "oh no, here we go again," and I played Panic Attack. I actually kind of liked it. Even though I wasn't sold yet, I thought, "I have to look up these musicians, they play like crazy. I wonder if they can play live." I looked "Dream Theater Live" up on YouTube, and it was the Score (2nd disc) version of Another Day. I was blown away, but I thought I looked up the wrong band, because Another Day sounded nothing like Constant Motion.

Fast forward about two months, and I hadn't really researched them anymore. My friend was over and asked me to play Constant Motion again. I said, "Fine, but I swear I'm never playing this song again after this." I played it, and something clicked this time. I really was enjoying the song. I looked up Dream Theater again, looked up some of their other stuff and noticed that they had a song on Guitar Hero World Tour (I had it but hadn't unlocked the song yet). I played through the game and finally got to "Pull Me Under."

My life changed after I heard that song. I immediately ran out and chanced it: I bought all of their albums from Images and Words to Systematic Chaos (they were cheap at my local cd store). I sat down and spent a whole day just listening to the albums.

Fast forward another few months, and here I am, with all of their albums, dvds, and most of their Ytsejam releases. Whew, sorry I went on so long. But yeah, I have to thank Rock Band 2 and Guitar Hero World Tour for getting me into Dream Theater.
"A pitch black night unfolds with the morning star as its only light... and thus the saga... begins" - Shenhua (Shenmue series)

Offline Deep Sixx

« Reply #86 on: July 30, 2013, 12:36:45 PM »
My dad introduced me to them when I was 9. He had first seen When Dream And Day Unite many years ago in a store in South Africa. He said he never bought the record because, judging by the cover, he thought it was a hair/glam metal band :D.

Fast forward about 20 years, my dad wanted to hear something new in the metal world. He looked up the progressive metal genre on rhapsody and Dream Theater was the first name to come up. Somehow he recognized the majesty symbol on one of DT's album covers and realized that this was the band he had overlooked when he was younger. I think Train of Thought was the first album he listened to. The first song he showed me was This Dying Soul. We've bought every album and DVD and have been fans ever since then.

Offline Voices

• Like a scream but sort of silent.
« Reply #87 on: July 30, 2013, 02:20:43 PM »
I listened to "Panic Attack" on the internet...in 2006 I guess. But at the time, I didn't like keyboard solos and James' voice, so it didn't took my attention. Then I listened to "The Answer Lies Within" and "A Change Of Seasons"...downloaded the discography and start to listen everything patiently. Then, DT became my favorite band.

Offline Metropolis1928

« Reply #88 on: July 30, 2013, 05:03:15 PM »
When I was in high school I was really into Metallica and those freakin long 8 minute songs. And then a friend of mine told me to listen to this band, who all were virtuosos and that had a 23 minute song. He lend me the album and I was impresed by the album: It was "A change of seasons" and it only had one song and a some live covers.

The song was a 23 minute piece divided in 7 sections. That was interesting.

The next thing I noticed was that in the back, the guy who was in the middle of the back cover was the guitar player, not the singer. That was not common.

Then I listened to the song. Then I asked my friend for more albums and the obsession began and it has been going for more than 10 years ;D

Offline Whatsername

• Love is the Dance of Eternity
« Reply #89 on: August 01, 2013, 07:38:13 AM »
First time I ever heard Dream Theater, like a lot of people here it seems, was Rock Band 2, when I was 17. And I remember enjoying the song but at the time with my oh-so-pop sensibilities, I found the track too complicated to get into, other than the occasional play-through on RB. A few months later I remember my sister showing me TCoT, and I remember being blown away that a band that had come up with such a driving metal song could come up with this wandering and haunting tracks. She also gave me the files for SFAM and I remember putting them on my mp3 player (not even an iPod... I was such a deprived child :lol). I didn't understand the idea of concept albums so I tried listening to one or two of the tracks out of order, and I remember the hypnotist's voice creeping me out, so I stopped, assuming I just didn't like Dream Theater that much.

Fast forward to a few months ago (I'm 22 now), and I was bugging my friend for suggestions for band to listen to. He flat out told me I had to listen to Dream Theater. I explained I'd tried them before and not enjoyed it, but he told me I should try Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence. He showed disc 2, and from Overture to Losing Time, I was completely engrossed. After Octavarium and I&W, I was completely hooked. :heart They're now my most-played band on Spotify. He's a pretty fantastic friend for showing me what I was missing out on! :biggrin:
We move in circles. Balanced all the while on a gleaming razor's edge.
A perfect sphere colliding with our fate. This story ends where it began.

Offline serrano

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #90 on: August 01, 2013, 08:07:31 AM »
Late '92, my band's drummer gave me I&W, still have his copy :blush
Had to wait 1 year to see them live, but it was worth it  :omg:

Offline thosava

« Reply #91 on: August 01, 2013, 08:36:20 AM »
I remember being introduced to them by someone i knew online. I really didn't enjoy it. I was a fan of Iron Maiden, Metallica and Pink Floyd then. He said i would love it, judging by those three bands. Too me it just sounded too cheesy  :P I can't remember which songs i listened to, but i am pretty sure the first one was Octavarium. I found that song really cheesy. Then a while later after discovering other progressive bands, like Tool and Mastodon, i decided to give them a listen one more time. At the moment they are my favourite band alongside Iron Maiden. No other band have i ranked this high before.
ps. Octavarium is now my favourite song  :lol

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #92 on: August 01, 2013, 10:09:33 AM »
One late summer afternoon in 1992 I was watching a movie with my sons when the phone rang. My buddy was on the line urging me to quickly turn on the radio to the local college station. I paused the movie and flipped the receiver over to KRCL. What I heard at first was a little confusing...it was metal, it was melodious, it was intricate, it had KEYBOARDS, it was awesome, it was Pull Me Under. When the song finished, the DJ said the station would be featuring the entire album on 'Behind The Zion Curtain' program on Sunday night so everyone could stop calling and begging to hear more from Dream Theater. I made a point of listening to the program and by Tuesday I had purchased the cassette (I didn't actually own a CD player at that time) from Circuit City.

That was basically it. So no need to read any more of this post unless you're interested in why I liked it.

I was raised in a home always full of music. My mother played piano and was trained in opera as a soprano. Her piano and stereo belted out classical and jazz with equal frequency so there was always Tchaikovsky, Mussorgsky, Bach, Debussy, Herb Albert, Sinatra, Buddy Guy, etc. playing. Add to that, I was the youngest child in the late 60's and early 70's so I was also hearing my Brother and Sister rocking out to Cream, The Doors, ELP, Hendrix, Jethro Tull, Todd Rundgren, King Crimson, Zeppelin, Pink Floyd and especially Kansas. My brother probably wore a groove all the way through Song For America.

As I started buying records my tastes were more on the Metal/Hard Rock side: Sabbath, Mountain, Amboy Dukes (Ted Nugent) Deep Purple, Bad Company, Uriah Heep, Styx, UFO, Rush, and Judas Priest. In the late 70's I really got into Zappa and a world of avant garde music opened to me. Other than Iron Maiden and Ozzy the 80's were kind of a wasteland for rockers and all the "art rock" groups (that's what we called prog before it was called prog) all went weird. But then came Metallica.

I know they are not universally loved on this forum but man, at the time their sound was like a life-raft to a man drowning in a sea of glam-rock. Ride The Lightning changed everything and with in a few years metal was back and bigger than ever.

That's why when I heard Dream Theater I was instantly hooked. They had everything that I loved in music (except for Jazz) all mashed together and yet, it still was approachable and there were melodies in there! I've really enjoyed following their discography ever since.
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline The Stray Seed

• There is no greater Evil than the indifference of Good men.
  • non mihi, non tibi, sed Nobis.
« Reply #93 on: August 01, 2013, 10:46:10 AM »
My dad introduced me to them when I was 9. He had first seen When Dream And Day Unite many years ago in a store in South Africa. He said he never bought the record because, judging by the cover, he thought it was a hair/glam metal band :D.
I will quote your words next time someone tells me that covers don't matter.

Offline Deep Sixx

« Reply #94 on: August 01, 2013, 06:57:21 PM »
I will quote your words next time someone tells me that covers don't matter.

Hahaha I think we can all agree that they can definitely matter to people who've never heard the group before.

Offline lodeus

« Reply #95 on: August 01, 2013, 10:10:18 PM »
I think it was about 2006 when I was recommended ToT on some metal message board. I had that on my computer for the longest time and it wasn't until I heard BC&SL when I became a fanboy. It was The Count of Tuscany that really stood out to me.

Offline Hanz Gruber

« Reply #96 on: August 01, 2013, 11:41:01 PM »
I heard Lie on the radio back when Awake came out.

I kept waiting for the DJ to announce the name of the band but he didn't.  Finally one day the DJ said it was Dream Theater so I went out and bought Awake.  I loved it so I bought Images and Words next.

I then found an import of When Dream and Day Unite and paid big bucks for it.  I was very disappointed that it was not James singing.  I thought to myself at the time that the singer was a Steve Perry wannabe and I was sad it wasn't James. hahaha.  I was also a little sad that I spent $30 on it which was a lot for me back then (I was 14) because Charlie's voice ruined it for me
« Last Edit: August 01, 2013, 11:56:44 PM by Hanz Gruber »

Offline Theme Dreater

• The Destroyer of Worlds
« Reply #97 on: August 02, 2013, 12:21:04 AM »
It was my Junior year of high school, so 2009. In my AP lang class there was this kid who shared lots of musical tastes with me, and we constantly talked about classic rock. My favorite band was Led Zeppelin, and his was Rush. One day he told me I could borrow his CD collection and I could grab some tunes from it. It was a big fat CD folder, probably containing over 100 CDs at least. I asked if there was anything in particular inside that I would likely dig. He said that since I was really into Pink Floyd and Rush, I might like Dream Theater. He also reccomended a bunch of other bands.

Back at home, I copied dozens of discs onto my computer, including Awake, ACOS, Greatest Hit, and the second disc of SDOIT. Somehow, I didn't end up listening to them for a long time. It was summer of 2010, and I was out in Bristol Bay, Alaska, commercial fishing. Much of the time I was out on sea, but when I was on land, I had no internet access. No friends around, either. I sat in my bunk listening to music on my laptop, and I eventually came across Dream Theater. Having nothing better to do, I threw on ACOS. I'd been drumming for about a year or two at this point, and Portnoy blew my mind. Everytime I went out on the fishing boat after this I was replaying sections of ACOS in my head, trying to figure them out. By the end of fishing, I had listened to most of Awake as well, and I had discovered one of my new favorite bands. When I got home, I used my fishing advance to buy Images and Words (totally on a whim, did no research) from my local record shop and well....the rest is history! It's odd, I got into them quickly enough that when MP quit in late 2010 I was pretty devestated, even after only listening to them for about half a year.

For a long time, I&W, ACOS, and Awake were the only albums I liked, but I eventually listened to more and more of their records, and now appreciate most of their stuff, though ToT and SC are still sinking in  :D
I was told if you dream of the next world, you'll find yourself swimming in a lake of fire.

Offline jsbru

« Reply #98 on: August 19, 2013, 12:32:09 PM »
My family was poor, so we had no cable or MTV, but we did get a somewhat fuzzy feed of The Box over the local airwaves.  Kudos to those who remember The Box.  It was a 1-900 number video jukebox over TV, and you could pay like $3 to have a music video of your choosing play.  The best part was they had a ton of bands that flew under MTV's radar.  Someone dialed in Dream Theater - Lie, and I saw it and was impressed.  The next time it came on, I had a VHS ready to tape off of TV.

At the time, I was more into Metallica, Megadeth, and Pantera, so the heavier sound of Lie really appealed to me.  But I was also trained on classical piano growing up, so I appreciated the complex musicality of DT.  It took me about a half a year to get into the rest of the album, though.  It was hard getting used to JLB's voice, as he sounded more like an opera singer than a metal vocalist.  But around this period, I started listening to whole CDs through headphones to fall asleep, and I eventually put Awake on.  The whole sequence of the album is so powerful when listened to start to finish, and the last three songs have a dreamy sort of atmosphere that helps you drift off to sleep.  I was hooked after listening to the album all the way through for about the third time.

At this point, though, I'm far more of a progressive rock fan.  Other than DT, my favorite rock groups are Yes, Pink Floyd, Genesis, and Radiohead.  I'm also heavily into electronic music.  I like music for its atmosphere and moodiness more than the technical virtuosity of the musicians.  Early DT is kind of the best of both worlds, if you ask me.  My favorite songs now are the semi-heavy progressive epics like Scarred, A Mind Beside Itself, Learning to Live, Take the Time, Trial of Tears, and even Stream of Consciousness.  Post Kevin Moore, though, the band has lost a lot of its mysterious atmosphere and dynamic style.  I'm not sure if that's actually due to Moore's absence, or simply the band pursuing one specific direction.  But I'm not thrilled about the direction the band has turned in the last 15 years.  It seems like MP wanted the band to become Progressive Pantera.  But if I wanted to hear Pantera, I'd put on Pantera.  I like DT because its more musically nerdy.  Earlier DT wasn't afraid to write songs in Ionian or Mixolydian modes -- i.e. happy-sounding metal/rock that sounded more like Queensryche.  Instead, they've gone a direction where almost every non power ballad they write is driven by an uptempo djent-y, palm-muted guitar riff in a minor key.  I think some of this is fine and great actually.  I still liked most of TOT and TGP from SDOIT, but I'm currently missing the musical diversity they used to bring.  Perhaps post Portnoy, we will see more of this, but I'm not sure.

I sort of lost interest in the band after Octavarium, but in the last few weeks, I've re-discovered their older material, and am trying to catch up with what they've released since.
“The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side.”

― Hunter S. Thompson

Offline krieger

« Reply #99 on: August 19, 2013, 02:14:54 PM »
In 1992, a guy I knew bought I&W and we made some copies in tape.  :metal
"Likely or not, it's a dream that we keep
and at odds with our senses we'll climb
But if faith is the answer, we've already reached it
And if spirit's a sign then it's only a matter of time."

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #100 on: August 19, 2013, 02:40:00 PM »
Looks like I'm the third longest fan here (fourth when Scotty gets here.)

"The Spirit Of Rush Fanzine Number 8 which I bought in New York City about August 1989. On the back inside cover was a Dream Theater feature and When Dream and Day Unite album review that was reprinted from an issue of Kerrang (Never found out what issue it was)
There weren't too many recent bands recording music that I liked in the late 80s save for maybe Kings X, Queensryche, Faith No More and Living Colour.
The feature and review mentioned influences such as Rush, The Dixie Dregs, Kansas, Emerson, Lake and Palmer and at that time it didn't seem like anyone new was recording music with those influences so I was easily suckered in.
I couldn't find the CD anywhere and was forced to spend $17 at a mall chain store for it. I listened to it constantly for about 3 solid months until Presto came out. I never heard another word about them until I stumbled on their mispelled name on the marquee at the Ritz November 14, 1989 opening for the Hogarth-fronted Marillion's debut in New York City.
Yes, I was lucky.
Never heard a word about them again until I found a promo copy of Images and Words for $5 at a spring 1992 record show. It took me a while to get used to James' voice since I'd been listening to Charlie for about 3 years, but I got used to it. James has improved SO much since then.

Anyway, I'll leave you with this amusing quote (I'm not sure who is responsible for it but I think it was the editor) regarding When Dream And Day Unite from The Spirit Of Rush Number 9 (Fall 1989)

"The aforementioned opener (A Fortune In Lies) sums up the album completely--a dense hard rockers paradise with more time changes than the entire Rush and Yes back catalogs put together. A drummer who puts Neil Peart to shame, a vocalist fully capable of holding his own and a sound so full that it actually takes 20 plays to hear everything that's going on in the mix, and all this perfectly crafted and laid down on tape in just four weeks.
Quite frankly, this album rubbishes at least three Rush albums, and the entire Yes series, Emerson, Lake and Palmer's Brain Salad Surgery being the only album I can think of in the same league. I never thought it would happen, but this album makes something like Signals sound resolutely boring; I know I'm going to get hate mail for saying so, but I have to be honest...
If Geddy, Neil and Alex have heard this album, then they probably reacted in one of two ways--become blubbering nervous wrecks, in the knowledge they have some serious young competition, or (hopefully) they have pulled out their fingers in order to show that they can indeed rise to the occasion. This album will either bring out the best in our friends or finish them off..."

That quote was what sold me being a Rush fan.

First CD 1989: When Dream And Day Unite
First Cassette 1992: When Dream and Day Unite promo
First Vinyl 1990: When Dream and Day Unite
First CD single 1990: Afterlife promo
First Cassette single 1992: Another Day
First Video 1993: Live At The Marquee
First DVD 2001: Metropolis 2000 Scenes From New York

It was this very review in Kerrang that led me to DT. I was heavily into the Neo- Classical widdly guitarists and loved Rush so this album sounded right up my street. Bought the cassette version from my local record shop and the rest is history.

Offline userx

« Reply #101 on: August 19, 2013, 02:57:40 PM »
oddly enough, from GNR fan forum

Offline RoeDent

• 2006 Time Magazine Person of the Year
« Reply #102 on: August 19, 2013, 03:29:12 PM »
I can't remember what led me to the pivotal moment, but sometime in 2008, I came across Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence on YouTube, and I was blown away by the idea that a 42-minute rock song existed. I didn't properly get into it then, but a few months later (I think), I discovered Octavarium, and was completely hooked. The rest, as they say, is history.

Offline Elaitch

« Reply #103 on: August 19, 2013, 04:01:56 PM »
2006 - I'm 14 years old and is looking for music to bring for a trip down to Germany/France with my parents. I stumble upon and download Octavarium because I thought "Dream Theater" and "Octavarium" sounded cool, basically, but I didn't know anything about the band. Listened to it a few times during that trip and thought the music was a little bit weird (especially the title track ;D), but appealing and different somehow. It was not like I had much else to do while riding in the car anyway. Didn't think much about it afterwards, as far as I recall.

~2007-2008: A friend starts talking about the new DLC for Rock Band, "Constant Motion" and how the song is quite cool. I listen to it on YouTube and instantly remember hearing Octavarium a few years back. I also fall in love with the song (it remains one of my favourites to this day and SC is one of my favourite albums). I get Systematic Chaos the same year and the rest is history.

Offline JDW89

« Reply #104 on: August 19, 2013, 04:09:38 PM »
I would say I got into DT sometime in 2005 if I remember correctly. I was not really familiar with any prog music at the time and was mainly into heavy/thrash metal. I remember my brother and I got the Octavarium album and I thought it was pretty awesome. I was really into Megadeth at the time and had tickets to see them on the 2005 Gigantour, it so happened that DT was co-headlining on the bill as well. (I believe the main reason we picked up Octavarium was to check out DT to get a taste of what we were going to be seeing live, also here is the setlist if anyone was curious, https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/dream-theater/2005/sdsu-open-air-theatre-san-diego-ca-5bd6d3d8.html ) Later on down the road when I was a senior in high school a guy in one of my classes was REALLY into DT and brought his iPod every day and started showing me songs/videos from them and my love for them had come full circle. From then on we talked DT pretty much every day for the whole year, it was pretty damn awesome.