Author Topic: A Change of Seasons (Live in New York 93 Bootleg Version)  (Read 2768 times)

Offline Ultimetalhead

• The Mighty Masturbator
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • .ay rof dab s'ti dna...
A Change of Seasons (Live in New York 93 Bootleg Version)
« on: July 25, 2013, 08:19:27 PM »
Opinions on this? I'm listening to it at the moment, and it seems...well, sloppy. Tons of little keyboard flubs, and the transitions are pretty rough sometimes. The intro is interesting, but the EP version does a shitload better at building the intensity. The lyrics and phrasing are way better on the EP as well. It's nice to hear James with his full voice on the song, but I think I prefer his performance on the EP.

And good god, the "I'm sick of all you hypocrites" section is completely void of energy without the vocals during the silent parts. This song got WAY better with the time they spent re-working it.
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?
LOOK AT THIS AWESOME SHIT AHHHHHH

Offline LBC.

• Into infinity.
Re: A Change of Seasons (Live in New York 93 Bootleg Version)
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2013, 08:26:18 PM »
It was the seed of a masterpiece.
There's only 12 notes, do what you want with them.

Offline chrisgazpacho

« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2013, 08:33:34 PM »
For me the live 93 version, that will always be my favorite.  I still remember driving an hour away to get the bootleg in 93 when I heard about the NYC show (believe it or not from and MTV news break, mentioned an unreleased 20 min song)  It may not be the tightest performance but I prefer Kev's playing on it, and the overall feel of the live version.

I edited this video awhile back for it.

https://vimeo.com/22010201

Chris

Offline Grizz

« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2013, 08:50:43 PM »
I'm fascinated by unreleased material, especially in terms of Dream Theater. I would totally go to a show in which ACOS '90, FII Metropolis Part II, To Live Forever, etc. were played.
"I raised the baby, I changed the baby's diapers.  Whenever the baby had projectile diarrhea, I was there in the line of fire.  I even got a little in my mouth!  I sacrificed so much for my baby.  Now my baby hates me and thinks Mike Mangini is its real father!"

Offline chrisbDTM

• DT.net Member
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2013, 09:01:20 PM »
i don't think this is an official video at all

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fEkhQRDh4Mo

but i wish everything in this video was still in the song

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2013, 10:02:50 PM »
The 93 version really feels like a relic of the poor writing style of the WDADU era, saved largely by JLB's vocals. A lot of on-a-dime transitions, and sections that don't quite convey any particular mood to me.
The EP version had a much more developed direction and mood, and improved the vocal melodies and phrasing, although I still feel like it retains a lot of those weaknesses, which is why I don't consider it one of DT's better songs. But the EP version is miles better.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2013, 10:06:52 PM »
That version gets a 9, the EP version gets a 10. It sounds fresh, inspired, passional and messy (for the reasons Blob stated). The EP just made it perfect.
Quote from: TioJorge
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
Quote from: hefdaddy42
The Darklord is amazing

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Jay Beckenstein was in Spyro Gyra, right?
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2013, 01:20:59 AM »
There was a time, 4 years ago, when I would have the '91 version as my favourite DT song. Just sayin' :D

And I really have nothing against the '93 one, beside maybe the abrupt intro. I like the lyrics better and it's a pity that they took out the unison in The Inevitable Summer.
:slayer: Somewhere, over the wasteland..... bootlegs fly :slayer:
MoraWintersoul is the BEST person.
- Marco

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2013, 07:17:16 AM »
JP has an awesome solo in the old version, but the EP pretty much tops it in every way imaginable.

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2013, 07:23:19 AM »
I actually listened to the NYC '93 bootleg yesterday :D

ACOS '93 was good already and I like the instrumental stuff that got cut from the studio version, but the final version has the amazing intro, better vocal melodies and is more mature and polished on the whole.

Offline noxon

• Fan Club Professional
« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2013, 07:55:29 AM »
The version on this bootleg is also very interesting: https://www.jbboots.de/DreamTheater/Misc17.htm

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • welcome to the wasteland
« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2013, 08:30:52 AM »
The version on this bootleg is also very interesting: https://www.jbboots.de/DreamTheater/Misc17.htm
About that CD - I KNEW there was an IAW version of Don't Look Past Me with JLB's vocs somewhere!

About previous versions of ACOS - they're all sweet but the finished version takes the cake. This is basically why I would prefer if DT just wrote for about 2 or 3 years before getting into the studio to record the strongest material, instead of making a 70-minute album out of things they write during two months in the studio every two years. Their weaker sense of self-censorship is easily my least favorite part of my favorite band.

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

type : mora : and delete the spaces for a surprise

Offline Ultimetalhead

• The Mighty Masturbator
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • .ay rof dab s'ti dna...
« Reply #12 on: July 26, 2013, 03:47:03 PM »
About that CD - I KNEW there was an IAW version of Don't Look Past Me with JLB's vocs somewhere!

About previous versions of ACOS - they're all sweet but the finished version takes the cake. This is basically why I would prefer if DT just wrote for about 2 or 3 years before getting into the studio to record the strongest material, instead of making a 70-minute album out of things they write during two months in the studio every two years. Their weaker sense of self-censorship is easily my least favorite part of my favorite band.
This is an interesting thought. ACOS had time to mature and it's easily considered one of their best songs. Imagine how amazing all of their albums would be if they were given the same amount of TLC. I mean, I still love the vast majority of DT's output, but god damn.
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?
LOOK AT THIS AWESOME SHIT AHHHHHH

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Jay Beckenstein was in Spyro Gyra, right?
« Reply #13 on: July 26, 2013, 04:09:18 PM »
Antiquities is great, but great bootlegs come with a great monetary cost, unfortunately.  :-\
:slayer: Somewhere, over the wasteland..... bootlegs fly :slayer:
MoraWintersoul is the BEST person.
- Marco

Offline dragonmaster715

« Reply #14 on: July 26, 2013, 04:13:55 PM »
i didnt actually know this existed until i read this. just listened to it, messy at parts yet has a phew bits here and there that are cool, a phew that i think are actually slightly better than the version from the EP. i also like the solo that got cut.

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #15 on: July 26, 2013, 04:20:38 PM »
It was the seed of a masterpiece.

Can't be said better than this.   :tup

Yeah, it's pretty raw in some places but the core of what makes that song great is all there.  Love it.
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline Sycsa

« Reply #16 on: July 26, 2013, 04:27:41 PM »
Hilarious to see someone saying "takes the cake" right above George Carlin's picture. :lol

Sycsa is perhaps the most brilliant and insightful man I have ever encountered.

Offline erasiel

« Reply #17 on: July 26, 2013, 06:43:53 PM »
i also like the solo that got cut.

Yes, that extra solo rules. Actually I met JP at a guitar workshop back around 96 or 97 and he took questions, and I asked why they took out the extra solo from the ACOS EP. He said he couldn't remember as the song had evolved so much over the years.

Offline SeRoX

• DTF.org Member
  • The VoiceMaster
« Reply #18 on: July 26, 2013, 07:21:12 PM »
The ending actually is better than the current ep version.
Quote from: Plasmastrike
SeRoX is right!
Quote from: Nihil-Morari
SeRoX is DTF's JLB!
As usual, SeRoX is correct.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #19 on: July 29, 2013, 06:01:37 PM »
I always had a sweet spot for that version. I really like the energy and I like what Kevin brings to it.

The version on Scenes From New York is pretty stellar too though.

Offline Dacling

« Reply #20 on: July 29, 2013, 07:35:41 PM »

I was actually listening to the Demo version with Chris Cintron and the original live version of ACOS today and though they are pretty awesome the EP version is far superior. I love the whole Darkest of Winters section is crazy awesome but it just fit the whole flow and atmosphere of the song itself and some of the lyrics in the original are just hilarious. Especially the way Cintron yells please don't go. An excellent track that was made even better and turned into one of my favorites if not my favorite song of all time.

A couple of my favorite lines
"Viciousness and delicacy"
"Innocent sinner
Repeat offender
Promiscuous promiser"

Offline puppyonacid

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #21 on: July 30, 2013, 02:15:15 AM »

Yea maybe they should take a break

As far as the boots of ACOS go, I have heard the '93 version and although I found it interesting and you can hear how the song has developed, I prefer the EP version. In that sense I'm glad they sat on it past I&W.

I'd be interested to know how many people sort of agreed with MP in this sense. Did they need a break? I'm glad they carried on and they did need to freshen things up. I got the feeling on the Black Clouds tour that things had gotten a bit stale. I think what irks people most was the idea of them breaking for 5 years or so. Too long! However, I do believe that the way we hear things develop like ACOS and Metropolis Part II does kind suggest that DTs strongest material comes out of a much organic growth process where weaker material and parts are slowly discarded over time.

I guess the way they're set up now doesn't really give room for that.
This post was brought to you by Puppyonacid and subsequently ignored.

DTF's resident thread killer