Author Topic: The science and nature thread v. We tried this before  (Read 63066 times)

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
Re: The science and nature thread v. We tried this before
« Reply #490 on: December 09, 2015, 05:53:04 AM »
So... Dolphins might be able to send pictures to each other.

https://www.onegreenplanet.org/animalsandnature/human-intelligence-versus-whales-and-dolphins/.

Communication is so great in cetaceans that there is a strong possibility they are able to project (yes … literally project) an “auditory image” that replicates a sonar message they may receive. The process is a bit confusing, but MSU describes it in this circumstance: “So a dolphin wishing to convey the image of a fish to another dolphin can literally send the image of a fish to the other animal. The equivalent of this in humans would be the ability to create instantaneous holographic pictures to convey images to other people.”

If they are in fact able to do this, there would have to be a natural tendency to break down stylized and abstracted images into words. Meaning, cetaceans, like people, use a series of signifiers to discern the exact objects they want to communicate about. We might say “tree” and think of a picture of a tree in our minds, but cetaceans can skip this step by simply projecting the image to other cetaceans.

Not fascinating enough? Well did you know that, with several sound producing organs, cetaceans are capable of conveying and receiving “20 times the amount of information as we can with our hearing”? This surpasses the amount of information we can perceive based on vision (a human’s primary sense).

Offline eric42434224

• Wilson
« Reply #491 on: December 09, 2015, 06:12:24 AM »
So... Dolphins might be able to send pictures to each other.

https://www.onegreenplanet.org/animalsandnature/human-intelligence-versus-whales-and-dolphins/.

Communication is so great in cetaceans that there is a strong possibility they are able to project (yes … literally project) an “auditory image” that replicates a sonar message they may receive. The process is a bit confusing, but MSU describes it in this circumstance: “So a dolphin wishing to convey the image of a fish to another dolphin can literally send the image of a fish to the other animal. The equivalent of this in humans would be the ability to create instantaneous holographic pictures to convey images to other people.”

If they are in fact able to do this, there would have to be a natural tendency to break down stylized and abstracted images into words. Meaning, cetaceans, like people, use a series of signifiers to discern the exact objects they want to communicate about. We might say “tree” and think of a picture of a tree in our minds, but cetaceans can skip this step by simply projecting the image to other cetaceans.

Not fascinating enough? Well did you know that, with several sound producing organs, cetaceans are capable of conveying and receiving “20 times the amount of information as we can with our hearing”? This surpasses the amount of information we can perceive based on vision (a human’s primary sense).

Think they send other dolphins pics of their junk?
Oh shit, you're right!

rumborak

Rumborak to me 10/29

Offline Implode

• Lord of the Squids
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #492 on: December 09, 2015, 06:54:54 AM »
Knowing dolphins?

Yeah, probably.

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #493 on: December 09, 2015, 07:06:41 AM »
I've seen a dolphin turn a fish corpse into a flesh light. I don't think sending a dick pic is too hard to imagine.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #494 on: December 09, 2015, 07:48:12 AM »
I've seen a dolphin turn a fish corpse into a flesh light. I don't think sending a dick pic is too hard to imagine.

:rollin

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
  • Ashes to ashes, fun to funky.
« Reply #496 on: January 18, 2016, 04:28:39 PM »
Daaayyuuuum that island looks ominous and fantastical as all hell. Oh and fuck that really cool looking insect. FFFFFFFFFFFFFFF-

That's awesome.

Oh and this is probably the best quote I've ever read and ever will read ever again:

Where, they wondered, did that poop come from?

:lol :lol
I do say, where!?

DTP says "WOW, LOOK AT THAT GREAT POST"
RIP DTP.

Offline jasc15

• TTAL: Yeti welcome
« Reply #497 on: January 19, 2016, 06:40:21 AM »
Yeah, I thought the most interesting thing about that article was the island itself.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #498 on: January 19, 2016, 07:00:54 AM »
That's a cool story (not in like the cool story bro kind of way, the legit way).
Not sure how I feel about preserving a monstrously huge bug. :lol But it's a wonderful success story, and they should use those bugs as extras in a scifi movie on an alien planet or something.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #499 on: January 19, 2016, 07:04:39 AM »
That's a cool story (not in like the cool story bro kind of way, the legit way).
Not sure how I feel about preserving a monstrously huge bug. :lol But it's a wonderful success story, and they should use those bugs as extras in a scifi movie on an alien planet or something.

You should see the insects that walked/flew on this Earth when the oxygen content of our atmosphere was much greater!

https://listverse.com/2013/01/14/10-prehistoric-bugs-that-could-seriously-mess-you-up/

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #500 on: January 19, 2016, 07:15:04 AM »

You should see the insects that walked/flew on this Earth when the oxygen content of our atmosphere was much greater!

https://listverse.com/2013/01/14/10-prehistoric-bugs-that-could-seriously-mess-you-up/

You don't need to tell me, I've seen Godzilla vs Destroyah.

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #501 on: February 17, 2016, 09:41:28 AM »
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #502 on: February 17, 2016, 09:45:52 AM »
Thought the below story was fascinating.....

https://www.yahoo.com/tech/five-dimensional-glass-discs-store-183747050.html

Pretty cool. I remember reading about a company, maybe a decade or so ago, that was trying to do this this quartz and diamonds.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #503 on: February 17, 2016, 09:49:03 AM »

Pretty cool. I remember reading about a company, maybe a decade or so ago, that was trying to do this this quartz and diamonds.

I'd totally be down for making (however Many) of these things choc full of every bit of human history/data that we had and just launch them off into multiple directions into the universe. Aim at some selected galaxy's planets that are high percentage 'possible' life and set them on a course.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #504 on: February 17, 2016, 10:06:40 AM »
This reminds me of the Sliders episode. :blob:

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #505 on: February 19, 2016, 06:40:49 AM »
Not to be too cynical, but the "vast amounts of data, stored to eternity!" was exactly what they said about CDs back in the day :lol
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline jasc15

• TTAL: Yeti welcome
« Reply #506 on: February 19, 2016, 06:48:45 AM »
Also, isn't digitally archived data useless without the ability to decode it?  If this is found in millions of years, the decoding algorithms must also be preserved that long with human-readable instructions.  Is this right?

I think this is a problem with archivists.  Truly archived data must be human-readable without aid of a machine.  Though if this is the case, it would be true of analog media, like magnetic tape for example.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2016, 06:58:46 AM by jasc15 »

Offline kaos2900

« Reply #507 on: February 19, 2016, 06:51:38 AM »

I'd totally be down for making (however Many) of these things choc full of every bit of human history/data that we had and just launch them off into multiple directions into the universe. Aim at some selected galaxy's planets that are high percentage 'possible' life and set them on a course.

I'm cool with that. In fact that may be a cool premise for Independence Day 3.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #508 on: February 19, 2016, 07:26:09 AM »
Not to be too cynical, but the "vast amounts of data, stored to eternity!" was exactly what they said about CDs back in the day :lol

the amount of data isn't what fascinated me about these....it was the lifespan. CD's deteriorate 'quickly', this is being advertised like it essentially will last forever.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #509 on: February 19, 2016, 09:07:20 PM »
I think this is a problem with archivists.  Truly archived data must be human-readable without aid of a machine.  Though if this is the case, it would be true of analog media, like magnetic tape for example.

This is the beauty of film. It would take all of 10 seconds for a future generation to hold it up to light and see what it is, and then reverse engineer something to roughly use it.
Digital in particular requires many more layers to figure out, because even if you figure out it's some kind of base 2 storage format, you're still only a tiny fraction of the way there. The more you abstract the data, the less likely it is to be understood.

Offline Hyperplex

• Evelator
  • EZBoard Elder
  • So often fragile power turns to scorn and ridicule
"My melancholy wants to rest in the hiding places and abysses of perfection. This is why I need music." –Friedrich Nietzsche

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #511 on: February 24, 2016, 02:04:26 AM »
^^Yea we did talk about it in the space thread.

Boston Dynamics at it again:

https://youtu.be/rVlhMGQgDkY

One day that robot will push back and that'll be the end of Boston Dynamics!  :lol
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
  • Ashes to ashes, fun to funky.
« Reply #512 on: February 24, 2016, 02:18:05 AM »
Okay, despite the fact that right now and probably for another decade or so, even if "something"' did happen, it'd still be child's play to shut things like that down, watching that did make me feel a wee bit uneasy about what will be walking around in 40 years. I'm gonna be gettin' up there by then, if some twat robot decides to go all gangster on me by then, I'm not so confident I'll be able to take him down.  :lol  :|

Right now all his cords are exposed and he's not militarized. Tech advances, military gets involved...fuck that shit. I'll have this nice young feller made of flesh help me out with moving my boxes, thank you very fucking much. Now get off my lawn, you hunk of adamantium.

DTP says "WOW, LOOK AT THAT GREAT POST"
RIP DTP.

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #513 on: November 27, 2016, 02:58:30 AM »
The Double Slit Experiment: https://youtu.be/A9tKncAdlHQ

The reason on why this happens is propably above my limited understanding about quantum mechanics or science in general.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #514 on: November 28, 2016, 11:32:10 AM »
Boston Dynamics at it again:

https://youtu.be/rVlhMGQgDkY

One day that robot will push back and that'll be the end of Boston Dynamics!  :lol

I kept finding myself feeling sorry for that robot when it was being tested on the dropped package and being pushed  :'(      :lol

That is fascinating but the whole 'Terminator' thing is always right there in the back of my mind....it "could" really happen....

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #515 on: November 28, 2016, 11:59:31 AM »
On one hand its cool to see tech advance, but this is a slippery slope. The idea of Skynet is cliche at this point, but that doesn't mean there's any less chance of it happening. Its only gonna get crazier as the years go by

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #516 on: November 28, 2016, 12:04:34 PM »
On one hand its cool to see tech advance, but this is a slippery slope. The idea of Skynet is cliche at this point, but that doesn't mean there's any less chance of it happening. Its only gonna get crazier as the years go by

Yeah....and the constant theme is that 'we' are our own threat to extinction....so the machines take it upon themselves to either 'help' us or to just get it over with quicker.

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #517 on: August 13, 2017, 01:40:50 AM »
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2017/aug/12/scientists-discover-91-volcanos-antarctica

So if i'm understading it correctly, they become active after the ice melts and not a result of the ice melting.

I'm wondering if they could melt the ice without seismic activity?

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #518 on: August 17, 2017, 11:37:15 AM »
Not sure what your asking.  The volcanos can become active regardless of what the ice is doing.  What happens to ice (beyond the global warming effect) is dependent on the volcanic activity.  Not the other way around.
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #519 on: August 17, 2017, 12:37:44 PM »
Not sure what your asking.  The volcanos can become active regardless of what the ice is doing.  What happens to ice (beyond the global warming effect) is dependent on the volcanic activity.  Not the other way around.
Honestly, i'm not entirely sure either  :lol but I guess i'm trying to understand if a Volcano can be active without an eruption and if so can maybe melt the ice sheet that's on top.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #520 on: August 27, 2017, 04:30:41 PM »
Nasa wants to drill yellowstone to aliviate pressure so that the super massive volcano doesn't explode and kill everybody

https://www.extremetech.com/extreme/254665-nasas-3-5-billion-plan-keep-yellowstone-ever-erupting

I'm down

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #521 on: August 27, 2017, 05:22:42 PM »
What if drilling it causes it to erupt?

Too bad the human race can't get along though. Other countries might help fund this plan to ensure survival.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #522 on: August 27, 2017, 06:33:35 PM »
Nasa wants to drill yellowstone to aliviate pressure so that the super massive volcano doesn't explode and kill everybody

https://www.extremetech.com/extreme/254665-nasas-3-5-billion-plan-keep-yellowstone-ever-erupting

I'm down

Mark me down on the side of 'if it ain't broke don't fix it'. sure it's "due" to erupt but it could be tomorrow or in another three thousand years. There's no way messing around with that does anything but either speed it up, make it erupt immediately or some other unknown factor. This actually seems more dangerous than anything.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #523 on: August 28, 2017, 12:42:05 PM »
I'm interested in the way they say this will create power, that sounds really cool and useful of nature... if possible.  Something about this screams potential for massive failure.  What if we create the eruption?  Maybe some smart people know how to prevent that.  Certainly would be cool if we could harness the powers of the inner Earth.  I just fear the drawback or the potential for a mistake.

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #524 on: August 28, 2017, 12:47:15 PM »
The areas of pressure aren't where the lava flows are though. Imagine taking a tea kettle (water sources underground) and putting it over a gas burner (magma within the earth) and getting it to whistle (what yellowstone does). You could drill a dozen holes in the top of that kettle and the worst thing that's going to come out is steam/water.

The risk we run right now is that pressure beneath eventually building up enough (think cork in a champagne bottle) to blow a hole in the Earth big enough to penetrate the areas where magma is flowing. If we slowly bleed that pressure and don't destroy the layer between the magma and that pressure source in the process, we have nothing to worry about.

I actually don't think it's too bad of an idea. And if we can direct that pressure release through turbines or something to generate electricity, it's a win win.