Author Topic: POLL: Who is the most metal "fogey" on the forum?  (Read 7704 times)

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
Re: POLL: Who is the most metal "fogey" on the forum?
« Reply #70 on: July 19, 2013, 03:09:09 PM »
Well, good thing this hasn't turned into a 'who's got the biggest dick' competition.

Coz I'm sure he'd win that too!
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• Official Forum Sous Chef and broler5
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #71 on: July 19, 2013, 03:10:22 PM »

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #72 on: July 19, 2013, 03:12:58 PM »
Lonestar.

So metal that he can keep bosk at bay with one hand.

fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #73 on: July 19, 2013, 03:14:41 PM »
Coz,

He said 'who's got' not 'who is'.  :blush
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline jammindude

« Reply #74 on: July 19, 2013, 03:16:41 PM »
I know y'all don't know me very well, but I bought this album on it's release date in the early eighties.

And liked it!  :lol

#hopingforhonorablementionofancientmetaldude

[edit]Better?[/edit]

I actually went to see Celtic Frost in 1987. For whatever reason, they didn't perform, so we got an impromptu headline show by the openers, Flotsam & Jetsam. The Doomsday tour at that!

My most metal Fogey vote  goes to wkiml!

I bought Morbid Tales when it first came out....loved it....went and saw them in the summer of *86* when they were touring for To Mega Therion.   Voivod was opening (touring for Rrroooaaarrr) and Running Wild (touring for Branded and Exiled). 

I also saw Slayer *OPEN* their Reign in Blood tour *ON HALLOWEEN* 1986 in Seattle at the Moore Theater.   
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline sueño

• How Dare I Be So Beautiful?
« Reply #75 on: July 19, 2013, 03:37:35 PM »
Lonestar.

:rollin
"We spend most of our lives convinced we’re the protagonist of the story, but we rarely realize that we’re just supporting characters in everybody else’s story. Nobody thinks about you as much as you do."

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #76 on: July 19, 2013, 03:46:17 PM »
Well, good thing this hasn't turned into a 'who's got the biggest dick' competition.

Well, I go by thickness.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2013, 03:52:23 PM by kingshmegland »
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline sueño

« Reply #77 on: July 19, 2013, 03:50:41 PM »
He's already got enough emot's

:thursday:
:cozmo2: :cozmo2:
:cozmo:

Oh, and his womang recognizes the relevance of March 14th.  Dude's got the life we all want.   :hefdaddy

most women don't?   :huh:
"We spend most of our lives convinced we’re the protagonist of the story, but we rarely realize that we’re just supporting characters in everybody else’s story. Nobody thinks about you as much as you do."

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #78 on: July 19, 2013, 03:53:29 PM »
Suneo do you know what March 14th is?  look it up and then know that he gets both every year because he IS COZ!
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #79 on: July 19, 2013, 03:54:15 PM »

I bought Morbid Tales when it first came out....loved it....went and saw them in the summer of *86* when they were touring for To Mega Therion.   Voivod was opening (touring for Rrroooaaarrr) and Running Wild (touring for Branded and Exiled). 

I also saw Slayer *OPEN* their Reign in Blood tour *ON HALLOWEEN* 1986 in Seattle at the Moore Theater.

:metal Now that's metal!

Jammin, wasn't it funny watching Celtic Frost in concert? The actually seemed bored (maybe even a little lost) while the audience was going berserk in front of them. Or, I could be too easily amused.
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline sueño

« Reply #80 on: July 19, 2013, 03:55:14 PM »
Suneo do you know what March 14th is?  look it up and then know that he gets both every year because he IS COZ!

Yes, of course I know.  :D

It was just curious to me that most women don't know.  :)

Makes me sad for other men.  And women..

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #81 on: July 19, 2013, 03:56:26 PM »
WE MEN NEED TO GO TO OUR LOCAL CONGRESSMAN THEN!!! :lol

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #82 on: July 19, 2013, 03:56:46 PM »

Every woman I've ever been with or married to knew about S&BJ day. It's a great day but it's not uncommon knowledge.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #83 on: July 19, 2013, 03:58:39 PM »
Never heard of it. Apparently that shit doesn't exist on the other side of the pond. Thank you, urban dictionary.
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #84 on: July 19, 2013, 04:12:01 PM »
Oh, I think most women know the relevance of the day.  But I suspect most women don't give a shit about following through.  I was trying to imply that Mrs. Coz does.
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline jammindude

« Reply #85 on: July 19, 2013, 04:17:07 PM »

:metal Now that's metal!

Jammin, wasn't it funny watching Celtic Frost in concert? The actually seemed bored (maybe even a little lost) while the audience was going berserk in front of them. Or, I could be too easily amused.

IDK.... at my show, Tom seemed really into it.  I wasn't really paying any attention to Martin.   Reed did a drum solo that blew my mind!   He started with a standard drum solo, then started playing his sticks down the cymbal stands, and then kept drumming on the floor and whatever else he could find as he walked around the stage without ever stopping.    I've since found out that this "trick" was not original, but at 16, it was the first time I had ever seen such a thing.   Totally blew my doors off. 

The crowd was pretty into it.   But I've NEVER seen a crowd like an early Slayer crowd....before or since.

EDIT: To put it in perspective....remember that video that circulated a long time ago?  With that big kid who would just yell, "SLLLAAAAYYYYYEEERRRRR!!!!!!!"   In the early days, that was *every* Slayer fan.     Even though I suspect that Live Undead has a "piped in" audience recording...the fact was they need not have done that.   That *IS* what a typical Slayer show sounded like.....on EVERY freakin song.   Slayer fans are just another breed.

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Jay Beckenstein was in Spyro Gyra, right?
« Reply #86 on: July 19, 2013, 04:29:09 PM »
4 metal fogeys are competing in my roulette. Maybe one of them will win and prove his superiority to the others  :D
:slayer: Somewhere, over the wasteland..... bootlegs fly :slayer:
MoraWintersoul is the BEST person.
- Marco

Offline jammindude

« Reply #87 on: July 19, 2013, 04:45:26 PM »
BTW....speaking of Live Undead (and I'm sorry to hijack the thread).   I used to have Live Undead on picture disc back when it was new.   On that version, there was a really (IMO) KICK ASS drum solo from Dave leading up into Show No Mercy.   On subsequent versions (black vinyl, cassette, first pressing CD's) this drum solo was omitted and Show No Mercy just starts the same way it does on the studio version.    Does anyone know if the version with the drum solo ever surfaced in any capacity???

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #88 on: July 19, 2013, 04:49:59 PM »
4 metal fogeys are competing in my roulette. Maybe one of them will win and prove his superiority to the others  :D

You'd have to actually be running it for someone to win.  :neverusethis:

Offline sueño

« Reply #89 on: July 19, 2013, 04:55:30 PM »

It sounds like jammindude wouldn't mind entering the competition!   :azn:

Offline jammindude

« Reply #90 on: July 19, 2013, 04:58:22 PM »

It sounds like jammindude wouldn't mind entering the competition!   :azn:

It was not my intent to nominate myself.     I do not consider myself "most metal fogey" on this forum....but I guess I am of that age group.    (I am probably "most metal fogey" of anyone I know IRL)

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #91 on: July 19, 2013, 06:05:27 PM »
Lonestar.

That was my first avatar here, oh the memories  :'(

Offline Jaq

• Favorite song by Europe: Carrie.
« Reply #92 on: July 19, 2013, 06:22:45 PM »
Oh you want some metal fogey cred?

I heard of Diamond Head-and owned their debut album-before Metallica was even SIGNED.

I owned import copies of Saxon's Denim and Leather and Venom's Black Metal. I bought them, on fact, on the same day.  :metal

I owned Loudness' first three albums as Japanese imports. And you should too!

I remember when Def Leppard was a heavy metal band  :P
The bones of beasts and the bones of kings become dust in the wake of the hymn.
Mighty kingdoms rise, but they all will fall, no more than a breath on the wind.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #93 on: July 19, 2013, 06:39:58 PM »
The crowd was pretty into it.   But I've NEVER seen a crowd like an early Slayer crowd....before or since.
I was at the barricade for that show here in Dallas. Had my left arm around a lady friend and gripping the barricade, and my right arm holding one side of a chair over our heads while she held up the other end, using it as a shield to keep all of the other chairs raining down from knocking us out. Good times.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #94 on: July 19, 2013, 06:57:46 PM »
Oh you want some metal fogey cred?

I heard of Diamond Head-and owned their debut album-before Metallica was even SIGNED.

I owned import copies of Saxon's Denim and Leather and Venom's Black Metal. I bought them, on fact, on the same day.  :metal

I owned Loudness' first three albums as Japanese imports. And you should too!

I remember when Def Leppard was a heavy metal band  :P
Psh!  That's nothing.  You want some REAL metal cred?  Little known fact:  Motorhead's first three albums and Iron Maiden's first7 albums comprise an inter-related 10-part biography about what I did when I was bored over a summer vacation once.  And they left out the scary parts.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #95 on: July 19, 2013, 09:33:37 PM »
:rollin
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline LieLowTheWantedMan

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #96 on: July 19, 2013, 09:34:41 PM »
Hawkwind >>> Motorhead. There goes my metal cred.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #97 on: July 19, 2013, 09:41:10 PM »
Hawkwind >>> Motorhead. There goes my metal cred.

I've only just recently dug into Hawkwind.  Even got one on vinyl....Hall of the Mountain Grill I believe.   I listened to it one time....it wasn't bad...just seemed sortof...IDK...."jammy"...

Offline Dark Castle

• DTF.org Member
  • SmegmaPrincessX
« Reply #98 on: July 19, 2013, 11:28:34 PM »
I've never really liked Motorhead.  :sadpanda:

Offline obscure

• Properly Silly
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #99 on: July 20, 2013, 02:08:23 AM »
:thursday: is an emote for us all.

Oh, yeah?  Well, I'll see your :thursday: and raise you :friday:

Wait, somehow, that didn't really have the effect I was going for...

:obscure:  ?

:obscuredbyclouds:

Love it

:JayOctavarium:
oh forgot about that li'l cutie....

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #100 on: July 20, 2013, 04:17:27 AM »
We all will be fogeys by the time the roulette is over :neverusethis:

Sorry Marco :hug:

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #101 on: July 20, 2013, 06:00:55 AM »

I must say I'm sad I didn't get mentioned given the work I did with Metallica and Epica.

Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #102 on: July 20, 2013, 06:35:38 AM »

Considering "I Wish I Had An Angel" is Nightwish, I guess that makes you even more metal giving you either forgot or didn't care which band you were with, or you've worked with all three!

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #103 on: July 20, 2013, 07:46:00 AM »
Yeah, that's it.  Plus, that was years ago, I'm so metal I can't remember all the crazy shit I've done.  Hell, I was in even in some low-budget film once, just doing a buddy a favor.  Not sure what ever came of it.  Hey, here's a pic.

Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline CrimsonSunrise

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #104 on: July 20, 2013, 08:53:54 AM »
BTW....speaking of Live Undead (and I'm sorry to hijack the thread).   I used to have Live Undead on picture disc back when it was new.   On that version, there was a really (IMO) KICK ASS drum solo from Dave leading up into Show No Mercy.   On subsequent versions (black vinyl, cassette, first pressing CD's) this drum solo was omitted and Show No Mercy just starts the same way it does on the studio version.    Does anyone know if the version with the drum solo ever surfaced in any capacity???

I had Number of the Beast and a Dio live EP on Picture disc  :metal