Author Topic: The Metallica Thread v. Reloaded  (Read 383740 times)

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
Re: The Metallica Thread v. Reloaded
« Reply #1470 on: May 10, 2015, 10:32:23 AM »
I don't know. I still think their classic albums are truly great, but after St. Anger and especially Death Magnetic, I have kinda thrown in the towel on the band. They will probably make another album, and it might create some buzz, but I would still be hesitant. If it came out and got huge praise with nothing but good comments, with fans and critics alike praising it as one of the best albums of the year, then I would probably check it out, but otherwise I feel pretty hesitant.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #1471 on: May 10, 2015, 11:16:57 AM »
I want them to retire.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1472 on: May 10, 2015, 01:35:27 PM »
I want them to retire.

They should have done in 1999 after S&M. 

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #1473 on: May 10, 2015, 02:09:57 PM »
I want them to retire.

They should have done in 1999 after S&M. 

That would have been a great send off. They were still pretty tight back then.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #1474 on: May 10, 2015, 02:20:36 PM »
I don't know what kind of rep S&M has among the Metallica fans, because I got into it (and the band) before I found out about message boards, but I think it's pretty darn awesome. I haven't listened to it in ages, but the band tried something different and it worked. I can imagine a lot of metalheads complaining that the orchestra made the songs "gayass", but as someone who doesn't care about how "metal" something is, I say bravo.

Offline PixelDream

• Maestro
« Reply #1475 on: May 10, 2015, 03:03:27 PM »
I don't know what kind of rep S&M has among the Metallica fans, because I got into it (and the band) before I found out about message boards, but I think it's pretty darn awesome. I haven't listened to it in ages, but the band tried something different and it worked. I can imagine a lot of metalheads complaining that the orchestra made the songs "gayass", but as someone who doesn't care about how "metal" something is, I say bravo.

I really loved S&M when it came out (still do). And yes, I also remember a metalhead saying to me that Metallica with an orchestra was 'freaking gay'. When I asked him to explain his opinion, he couldn't come up with a single argument as to why that would be gay. Some people are so incredibly close-minded.
Not 'Down To F***', but 'Dream Theater Forums' .

Offline black_biff_stadler

• 6th place finalist at New Orleans Skullet Fest 2010
  • DT.net Member
  • blackwater_floyd, get it?
« Reply #1476 on: May 10, 2015, 04:10:15 PM »
Everyone I knew was balls deep about it when it came out.
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1477 on: May 10, 2015, 04:15:57 PM »
I always really enjoyed that album.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #1478 on: May 10, 2015, 04:24:06 PM »
The S&M version of One is one of the most magnificent pieces of music ever played.
People figured out that the white thing that comes out of cows' titties could be drunk, and the relation between sweet desires and women's bellies growing up for 9 months. It can't be THAT hard to figure out how a trumpet works.”

-MirrorMask

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1479 on: May 10, 2015, 05:06:44 PM »
I recall S&M being a huge hit when it was released amonst my group of friends and amongst what was seen as the gerneal consensus from my memory. I also still love it.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1480 on: May 10, 2015, 06:07:58 PM »
I have it, but I'm not sure I have ever listened to it.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #1481 on: May 10, 2015, 10:28:56 PM »
The S&M version of One is one of the most magnificent pieces of music ever played.

One of the few songs on the album that turned out magnificently. Unfortunately, most of the album just sounds like the orchestra and the band are playing two entirely different songs to me. Metal and orchestras can go together really well, but the individual styles just didn't work together in this case, at least on the thrashier stuff.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1482 on: May 11, 2015, 12:26:56 AM »
Unfortunately, most of the album just sounds like the orchestra and the band are playing two entirely different songs to me.
Pretty much how I felt when I heard S&M for the first time.
They didn't blend very well.
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline Lynxo

• It hurts when I poo
« Reply #1483 on: May 11, 2015, 04:12:30 AM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Eq9RVKT9XQ

I'm not sure of newthis James Hetfield interview is, but I found it really interesting. More about him as a human being and guitar player and less about Metallica.
Lynxo cured my bad breath with his penis.

Offline Cyclopssss

• Vocal Dinosaur pre-heat combustable
  • Connoseur of love
« Reply #1484 on: May 11, 2015, 08:02:30 AM »
I loved the idea of S&M....but it didn't fulfill it's promise...alas.
From the ocean comes the notion that the realise lies in rhythm. The rhythm of vision is dancer, and when you dance you´re always on the one. From the looking comes to see, wondrous realise real eyes....

Offline TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #1485 on: May 11, 2015, 11:20:29 AM »

I'm not sure of newthis James Hetfield interview is, but I found it really interesting. More about him as a human being and guitar player and less about Metallica.

I can listen to James Hetfield playing riffs for the rest of my life. He always talks about music with such passion and you can really hear that passion in his playing. He is so down to earth and you can tell that he truly loves what he does and is so grateful for the life he has.
People figured out that the white thing that comes out of cows' titties could be drunk, and the relation between sweet desires and women's bellies growing up for 9 months. It can't be THAT hard to figure out how a trumpet works.”

-MirrorMask

Offline Onno

• Well, it's just entertainment, folks!
« Reply #1486 on: May 28, 2015, 11:15:32 AM »
I just found this, but maybe someone already posted it sometime ago. Anyway, it's basically how St. Anger could've sounded. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lU-UI3_6HcM

Offline PixelDream

• Maestro
« Reply #1487 on: May 28, 2015, 12:31:45 PM »
Totally loved that Hetfield interview. What an inspiring dude.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #1488 on: May 28, 2015, 12:39:06 PM »
I just found this, but maybe someone already posted it sometime ago. Anyway, it's basically how St. Anger could've sounded. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lU-UI3_6HcM

This just proves what I've said all along.   St. Anger is an AWESOME album lost in a terrible production.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Online fadetoblackdude7

« Reply #1489 on: May 28, 2015, 04:58:56 PM »
Definitely sounds thicker and heavier, but still doesn't change the fact that the songs are awful, IMO. Production wasn't the only problem with that album.

Offline sneakyblueberry

• put me in coach
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1490 on: May 28, 2015, 05:30:33 PM »

I can listen to James Hetfield playing riffs for the rest of my life. He always talks about music with such passion and you can really hear that passion in his playing. He is so down to earth and you can tell that he truly loves what he does and is so grateful for the life he has.

I've seen that one before but I rewatched and realised that the riff at 7:00 sounds a lot like Rhiannon by Fleetwood Mac.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #1491 on: May 28, 2015, 11:13:05 PM »
Definitely sounds thicker and heavier, but still doesn't change the fact that the songs are awful, IMO. Production wasn't the only problem with that album.

Bingo. It's still repetitive bloated crap for the most part. The few half decent songs actually sound better on the real album. Playing the songs with slightly better drum and guitar sound doesn't change a thing.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline CharlesPL

Offline Onno

• Well, it's just entertainment, folks!
« Reply #1493 on: May 29, 2015, 05:18:06 PM »
That's really cool indeed!

Offline PixelDream

• Maestro
« Reply #1494 on: May 29, 2015, 05:22:27 PM »
Is 'St. Anger' a bad album because of the songwriting or because of the production?

My own truth is that both aren't really that great, but the one redeeming quality actually IS the production. I can totally dig that for some reason. I still blast the album once in a while. It's fun for about 5 minutes.

Online fadetoblackdude7

« Reply #1495 on: May 29, 2015, 06:02:24 PM »
Sweet!!! Metal Militia, Disposable Heroes and The Unforgiven II??

And they also didn't end with Seek & Destroy!  :tup

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #1496 on: May 30, 2015, 01:27:42 AM »
What a great setlist in Germany ! :)

https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/metallica/2015/veltins-arena-gelsenkirchen-germany-4bc9a30a.html

Damn.  Unforgiven II?  Frayed Ends of Santity?  Damage Inc.?  I wish I heard those on the live stream of Rock in Rio.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1497 on: May 30, 2015, 01:52:22 AM »
Is 'St. Anger' a bad album because of the songwriting or because of the production?

My own truth is that both aren't really that great, but the one redeeming quality actually IS the production. I can totally dig that for some reason. I still blast the album once in a while. It's fun for about 5 minutes.

St Anger production is a choice. The mastering is actually alright. I love the vibe of St Anger despite the clangy snare sound.

Death Magnetic is just fucked up. The guitars are thin - there's no vocal harmonies and the audio is distorted.

It's much easier to listen to the CD of St. Anger than it is to listen to the CD of Death Magnetic.

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
  • Fuckin' magnets, how do they work?
« Reply #1498 on: May 30, 2015, 08:50:01 AM »
Not if you have one of the GH mixes of DM instead of the released album.
Joe and I in the same squad is basically the virtual equivalent of us plowing a rape van through an elementary school playground at recess.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1499 on: May 30, 2015, 10:50:41 AM »

https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/metallica/2015/veltins-arena-gelsenkirchen-germany-4bc9a30a.html
I'll be ordering that show from Live Metallica. Wonder what other surprises are in store for this tour.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1500 on: May 30, 2015, 11:03:35 AM »

It's much easier to listen to the CD of St. Anger than it is to listen to the CD of Death Magnetic.

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #1501 on: May 30, 2015, 11:15:37 AM »

lol I caught that.
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline black_biff_stadler

• 6th place finalist at New Orleans Skullet Fest 2010
  • DT.net Member
  • blackwater_floyd, get it?
« Reply #1502 on: May 30, 2015, 03:16:42 PM »

I'll be ordering that show from Live Metallica. Wonder what other surprises are in store for this tour.

Mechanix live debut.
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Offline Buddyhunter1

• Professional Mellotron Spotter
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #1503 on: May 30, 2015, 03:29:42 PM »
edit: nevermind, I came here to post the St. Anger fan re-recording but someone posted it a little while back. :lol
BUDDYHUNTER | Debut Demo Out Now! FREE DOWNLOAD: https://buddyhunter.bandcamp.com/
RYM: https://rateyourmusic.com/~buddyhunter1

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1504 on: May 30, 2015, 03:40:44 PM »

One of the few songs on the album that turned out magnificently. Unfortunately, most of the album just sounds like the orchestra and the band are playing two entirely different songs to me. Metal and orchestras can go together really well, but the individual styles just didn't work together in this case, at least on the thrashier stuff.

"One" and "Hero Of The Day" always stood out to me as the best songs on S&M