Author Topic: The Metallica Thread v. Reloaded  (Read 383898 times)

Offline axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
Re: The Metallica Thread v. Reloaded
« Reply #4900 on: May 15, 2017, 06:55:48 PM »
The vocals on Metal Militia live from the Hardwired bonus tracks are absolutely terrible.
Photobucket sucks.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4901 on: May 16, 2017, 04:38:35 AM »
Yeah I wish James wouldn't do falsetto.

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #4902 on: May 16, 2017, 07:36:47 AM »
Shortened version of Now That We're Dead on Colbert last night:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ye9Ard5P0oY

Good performance!

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4903 on: May 16, 2017, 09:36:20 AM »
The guitars always sound so thin and ropey when it's a tv show.

But James is sounding pretty good and his dyed hair makes him look younger I think.

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #4904 on: May 16, 2017, 10:40:55 AM »
The guitars always sound so thin and ropey when it's a tv show.

But James is sounding pretty good and his dyed hair makes him look younger I think.

Yup, the guitars on these recent LiveMet shows are so much better though.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4905 on: May 16, 2017, 04:08:02 PM »
So now as of this week - Rob has been in Metallica longer than Jason Newsted was

Offline TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #4906 on: May 16, 2017, 05:27:49 PM »
So now as of this week - Rob has been in Metallica longer than Jason Newsted was

And has played on half of the studio albums.
People figured out that the white thing that comes out of cows' titties could be drunk, and the relation between sweet desires and women's bellies growing up for 9 months. It can't be THAT hard to figure out how a trumpet works.”

-MirrorMask

Offline fadetoblackdude7

« Reply #4907 on: May 16, 2017, 11:00:35 PM »

That's probably why it feels like he's been in the band half the length of Newsted (to me, at least)

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #4908 on: May 17, 2017, 09:46:20 AM »

That's probably why it feels like he's been in the band half the length of Newsted (to me, at least)

Yup, agreed.

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!
« Reply #4909 on: May 17, 2017, 11:26:43 AM »
Rob has been seriously underutilized IMO. He is arguably the best bassist they've had and he's hardly had any chances to use his talent on record.
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4910 on: May 17, 2017, 12:24:18 PM »
I think if they gave him a bass solo it would be like " forget about cliff - heres rob !! "

Also he's more of a funk bass player and I can't imagine them having any slap pop any time soon.

The clean intro to ManUnKind is Rob though.

He's got more credits on Hardwired than Kirk ( 0 )... :P

Plus if you watch the making of HTSD - Rob is there all the time giving suggestions and chipping in.

Also : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U070ZXMGAwA

Halo On Fire :2metal:

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4911 on: May 17, 2017, 12:33:52 PM »
Also : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U070ZXMGAwA

Halo On Fire :2metal:
:metal

Also, if anyone is interested, I uploaded all my clips from the concert to make one long video.
 It appears people like this video way more than my video of Wherever I May Roam https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-a8cBDi9kVc

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #4912 on: May 17, 2017, 12:51:24 PM »
Great Halo performance.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4913 on: May 17, 2017, 12:51:59 PM »
Great Halo performance.

Yes. I'm not sure about the live intro but it's alright.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4914 on: May 17, 2017, 01:14:46 PM »
Great Halo performance.

Yes. I'm not sure about the live intro but it's alright.

I thought the intro was cool

Offline jakepriest

« Reply #4915 on: May 17, 2017, 03:25:03 PM »
Damn that mixing is huge. The drums sound fucking amazing.  :metal Better than on the last two DT albums and live releases.

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #4916 on: May 18, 2017, 06:46:34 AM »
Damn that mixing is huge. The drums sound fucking amazing.  :metal Better than on the last two DT albums and live releases.

It is sounding really high quality. They said the team that mixed HWtSD would be mixing all the LiveMet and/or MetonTour stuff for this NA tour run, I'm guessing that doesn't mean Greg himself is actually mixing everything but his team of engineers is and I'm sure Greg is overseeing it and signing off on mixes.

The difference in audio quality between these recent releases and previous LiveMet stuff is night and day. So, so much better. Between the audio and video quality, they are almost basically putting out DVD/Blu Ray official release quality stuff for every show, pretty impressive.

For the drums it definitely sounds like they are reinforcing the kit (especially the kick and snare) with samples and blending those with the live sound, the cymbals sound good too, nice and present. The guitars and bass are all AxeFx, so they should be able to get really good direct signals from those. The vocals sound like they have a good mix of compression, EQ, and reverb.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4917 on: May 18, 2017, 06:49:39 AM »
Greg said there are drum samples on the album but not to the point where if you muted them

the drum sound was suddenly disappear.

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #4918 on: May 18, 2017, 06:50:23 AM »
Greg said there are drum samples on the album but not to the point where if you muted them

the drum sound was suddenly disappear.

Right. I'm talking about the LiveMet audio his team is doing, not the album.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4919 on: May 18, 2017, 06:50:50 AM »
Kind of wishing I went to that concert out in Long Island last night, a more unique (not by much though) setlist and they performed in the round.  They released more tickets the other day I could have picked up a floor GA ticket but decided against it due to cost.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4920 on: May 18, 2017, 06:51:06 AM »
just contributing to the thread

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #4921 on: May 18, 2017, 06:56:20 AM »
just contributing to the thread

Oh I know, it's all good. I was just clarifying what I was commenting on, you're good buddy.  ;)

Kind of wishing I went to that concert out in Long Island last night, a more unique (not by much though) setlist and they performed in the round.  They released more tickets the other day I could have picked up a floor GA ticket but decided against it due to cost.

Indoors would have made it a better experience, IMO, even with the same sets. But, yeah, I just looked at that set, Ride, Harvester, Welcome Home, etc... that's good stuff.

Offline axeman90210

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #4922 on: May 18, 2017, 08:34:37 AM »
Fingers crossed for Halo on Fire tomorrow night, can't get over how good that song is. The outro is my favorite lead work from Kirk in a long time.
Photobucket sucks.

Offline cfmoran13

« Reply #4923 on: May 18, 2017, 08:38:13 AM »
I love Halo On Fire.  But, I think Long Island got the best setlist of the tour so far.  Three from Justice.  Awesome!

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4924 on: May 18, 2017, 08:45:55 AM »
I love Halo On Fire.  But, I think Long Island got the best setlist of the tour so far.  Three from Justice.  Awesome!

I think that could be due to it being a Metallica only show.  I would suspect they go back to the more generic hit set list for the stadium shows, but maybe I am wrong.

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #4925 on: May 18, 2017, 08:59:33 AM »

I think that could be due to it being a Metallica only show.  I would suspect they go back to the more generic hit set list for the stadium shows, but maybe I am wrong.

I'd guess you are totally right.

Offline axeman90210

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #4926 on: May 18, 2017, 09:42:29 AM »
Just spent a few minutes going through the setlists so far, and this is what it's looking like for this tour:

Hardwired
Atlas Rise
For Whom the Bell Tolls
Fuel/Creeping Death/Ride the Lightning
Unforgiven
Now That We're Dead
Moth Into Flame
Wherever I May Roam/Harvester of Sorrow
Halo on Fire/Sanitarium
Hit the Lights/Motorbreath/Whiplash/Four Horsemen
Sad But True
One
Master of Puppets
Fade to Black
Seek and Destroy
Battery/Fight Fire with Fire/Blackened
Nothing Else Matters
Enter Sandman

In the first pivot spot I'm of course hoping for Creeping Death because that chant has got to be epic with a football stadium full of people. Probably lean towards Harvester of Sorrow at the next spot, though I'm fine with Roam as well. As much as I love Sanitarium, I really want to see Halo on Fire live so I'm hoping that was just a treat thrown in for the indoor show. I like the idea of a general KEA rotating slot, preference to Hit the Lights or Four Horsemen of what they've played so far. I also like the idea of rotating the epic thrash album openers to kick off the encore, I've seen all three live already so I'm happy with whatever I get.
Photobucket sucks.

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #4927 on: May 18, 2017, 11:44:44 AM »
^ Good break down. They are definitely sticking to that pattern in the set, just rotating out those spots you highlighted.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4928 on: May 18, 2017, 11:55:50 AM »
If playing a similar set each night means they are comfortable and don't f--- up a rarity then ok.

They played the same set every night on the Black Album tour and they were tight as f---.

Playing a very similar set each night means that by the end of the tour - it'll be drilled in.

On the St. Anger tour they played very different sets and they were very loose. Notoriously.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #4929 on: May 18, 2017, 12:00:35 PM »
Just spent a few minutes going through the setlists so far, and this is what it's looking like for this tour:

Hardwired
Atlas Rise
For Whom the Bell Tolls
Unforgiven
Now That We're Dead
Moth Into Flame
Halo on Fire/Sanitarium
Sad But True
One
Master of Puppets
Fade to Black
Seek and Destroy
Nothing Else Matters
Enter Sandman

In the first pivot spot I'm of course hoping for Creeping Death because that chant has got to be epic with a football stadium full of people. Probably lean towards Harvester of Sorrow at the next spot, though I'm fine with Roam as well. As much as I love Sanitarium, I really want to see Halo on Fire live so I'm hoping that was just a treat thrown in for the indoor show. I like the idea of a general KEA rotating slot, preference to Hit the Lights or Four Horsemen of what they've played so far. I also like the idea of rotating the epic thrash album openers to kick off the encore, I've seen all three live already so I'm happy with whatever I get.

As someone who is fan enough to have every album (except Kill 'Em All and St. Anger) but not a die hard (never saw them live, yet, and haven't even bothered with Lulu, like them DESPITE being thrash, not because of it) that's a pretty goddamn good setlist. 

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4930 on: May 18, 2017, 12:01:36 PM »
I have every CD even Lulu.

I have no intention of seeing them live.

I just cannot be bothered. Also they're way too expensive.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #4931 on: May 18, 2017, 01:12:24 PM »

Hardwired
Atlas Rise
For Whom the Bell Tolls
Unforgiven
Now That We're Dead
Moth Into Flame
Halo on Fire/Sanitarium
Sad But True
One
Master of Puppets
Fade to Black
Seek and Destroy
Nothing Else Matters
Enter Sandman

Is this just US dates? I know I saw all three of Fuel/Creeping/Ride over two shows, so one, I believe Ride, can show up elsewhere. Also, is Unforgiven now permanent? I thought that was a rotating slot, as well. There were also some extra songs rotated into the Wherever and Halo slots. That said, they did 3 nights where I saw them so it's possible they just pulled out some extra songs for the third show that they haven't had to reach for in the US tour.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4932 on: May 18, 2017, 01:31:54 PM »
That's just the US dates.  There's not enough data to say for sure yet, but judging by the few stadium shows so far, it seems like a fairly static setlist with only a few rotations.  My gut says the LI show last night was a little more varied due to being a Metallica only show and the fact they just played Metlife (maybe an hour drive away depending on traffic). 

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #4933 on: May 18, 2017, 07:13:09 PM »
It's essentially the same setlist they did in Mexico, but with a few less songs in the total pool, and they seem to have made Unforgiven and SBT static. The second part is a shame, as I really hate that whole album. I basically got Day that Never Comes, Dream No More and No Remorse as bonus songs while still getting Ride and Creeping. Not too shabby.

Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4934 on: May 19, 2017, 03:37:03 PM »
The band have said not one word about Chris Cornell from what I can see.

I would love it if they played Black Hole Sun tonight.

I think James would sound great on it.

Pretty Noose would be cool too.