Author Topic: The Metallica Thread v. Reloaded  (Read 383624 times)

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: The Metallica Thread v. Reloaded
« Reply #4445 on: February 14, 2017, 09:02:26 AM »
I've only ever been to 2 stadium shows ever.

1995 REM Cardiff Arms Park. I was 15

2000 Oasis Wembley Stadium I was 20

Both were great for the atmosphere. Long day though. having to sit through support bands with an hour between each of them.

Offline axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #4446 on: February 14, 2017, 09:07:57 AM »
Floor tickets acquired for the show at Gillette Stadium :metal
Photobucket sucks.

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Memory flows...like a river.
« Reply #4447 on: February 14, 2017, 09:14:15 AM »
I thought Metallica's performance of "Moth Into Flame" with Lady Gaga at the Grammy's was outstanding. Sirius XM Octane just posted a link with James' vocals put back into the recording, and man, good stuff. I knew LG would do a good job -- she's a metal fan. Loves Maiden, Metallica, etc. Her voice has the right edge for metal, and the range she has, particularly at the end of the song, really shined. Good stuff.

As for the tour, Volbeat and Metallica -- saw that on the Death Magnetic tour. Really good. So far, no date by me yet (which is weird, since, Bay Area), but it'll happen.  :metal
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Pre-order now at www.roadstomadness.com!

Offline jammindude

« Reply #4448 on: February 14, 2017, 11:26:01 PM »
It just occurred to me that I don't think I've ever been to a "stadium" show in my entire life.     Many arenas.....many ampitheaters.....  The closest to "stadium show" I ever got was the 1988 Monsters of Rock show with Van Halen/Scorpions/Metallica/Dokken/Kingdom Come.   That was at the old Kingdome (horrible venue for sound.   It had a concrete dome, so it was like playing in a cave.   Pink Floyd played there on Momentary Lapse, and the echo effect completely ruined their surround sound show.   They vowed to never return, and they never did).    But even that MoR Summer Tour was notoriously under attended.   I think the Kingdome was only half full. 

Lots of shows at the Tacoma Dome just south.....but in spite of the dome name, it's an oversized hockey rink.   Basically, it's an arena.   

Never seen a show at Safeco Field or The Clink.    But I'm not sure I'd want to.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #4449 on: February 14, 2017, 11:34:31 PM »
I've only been to one stadium show. Never again. I've avoided other shows because they were at the stadium. Stadiums are for watching a dude kick a sportball around, not for hearing music. Metallica could probably play the stadium here, but luckily on the DM tour they stuck to playing multiple shows at the arena that most bigger bands play at (which is still not great, but it's acceptable).
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #4450 on: February 15, 2017, 07:29:34 AM »
Only stadium show I went to was Paul McCartney this past summer, and while it sucked that I was far enough away that I couldn't really make out that it was Paul McCartney specifically without the screens, the sound actually wasn't that bad (admittedly not in any way an audiophile). The crowd energy was amazing though, especially when he did some of the big Beatles stuff late in the set.
Photobucket sucks.

Offline kaos2900

« Reply #4451 on: February 15, 2017, 07:38:27 AM »
My first concert was at the metrodome for Summer Sanitatrium in 2003 I believe. One Metallica looked like Ants. Two the sounds was so fucking loud my ears rang for almost a week after. I did see lots of boobies though.  ;)

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4452 on: February 15, 2017, 07:39:55 AM »
Oasis at Wembley Stadium was nowhere near loud. I was up in the stalls though and the old Wembley was pretty huge.

I don't see how a Stadium volume could be ear damaging with all that open space. . .

But If I did go to see Metallica in a stadium - i'd take ear plugs anyway as The Millennium Stadium in Cardiff can close it's roof.

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!
« Reply #4453 on: February 15, 2017, 09:04:33 AM »
Ticket prices are ridiculous. Skipping this.
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #4454 on: February 15, 2017, 09:05:14 AM »
Ticket prices are ridiculous. Skipping this.

I haven't looked since they aren't coming near me. What are they going for?

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!
« Reply #4455 on: February 15, 2017, 09:07:45 AM »
Cheapest are $55 before fees in Denver, then it goes all the way up to 130+. Other cities are more expensive.
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods

Offline pogoowner

• Pancake Bunny
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4456 on: February 15, 2017, 09:11:07 AM »
The only stadium shows I've been to were when I used to have Pittsburgh Pirates season tickets, and after some of the Saturday games they'd have a short concert with a B-list band. The acoustics were always horrendous.

Actually, now that I think about it, I saw Kansas and Bad Company at a ballpark. I was close to the stage, though, so the sound was decent.

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #4457 on: February 15, 2017, 09:14:36 AM »
The only stadium shows I've been to were when I used to have Pittsburgh Pirates season tickets, and after some of the Saturday games they'd have a short concert with a B-list band. The acoustics were always horrendous.

Actually, now that I think about it, I saw Kansas and Bad Company at a ballpark. I was close to the stage, though, so the sound was decent.

Hah, I used to go to a bunch of those games at PNC Park too. I saw Styx and lynyrd skynyrd I think, along with a couple others.

I went to the GnR show at Heinz Field last summer and the sound was pretty much what you would expect at a 60,000+ seat stadium. It literally depended on how the wind blew.

Cheapest are $55 before fees in Denver, then it goes all the way up to 130+. Other cities are more expensive.

That sounds about what I would expect.

Offline pogoowner

• Pancake Bunny
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4458 on: February 15, 2017, 09:23:58 AM »
Hah, I used to go to a bunch of those games at PNC Park too. I saw Styx and lynyrd skynyrd I think, along with a couple others.
That's the season I had tickets, actually. Styx had the best performance of anyone that played that season. Skynyrd just came off as old to me. They didn't have the energy. And then they just yelled something about the troops every five minutes. :lol

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #4459 on: February 15, 2017, 10:55:06 AM »
That's the season I had tickets, actually. Styx had the best performance of anyone that played that season. Skynyrd just came off as old to me. They didn't have the energy. And then they just yelled something about the troops every five minutes. :lol

:lol

Yeah I remember really, really enjoying the Styx show for sure.

Offline XB0BX

« Reply #4460 on: February 15, 2017, 07:36:18 PM »
Anyone else splurging for one of the enhanced experiences?

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #4461 on: February 16, 2017, 05:08:21 AM »
I've only ever been to 2 stadium shows ever.

1995 REM Cardiff Arms Park. I was 15

2000 Oasis Wembley Stadium I was 20

Both were great for the atmosphere. Long day though. having to sit through support bands with an hour between each of them.

I was there too.  I remember The Cranberries being utter shite  :D 

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4462 on: February 16, 2017, 05:20:46 AM »
Oh really ? I thought Del Amitri were a bit pap.. I vaguely recall the singer nearly falling off the stage.

And Michael Stipe throwing a glowstick into the crowd and saying " don't eat it ".

I don't remember Belly's set at all.

I was 15 though :p

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4463 on: February 16, 2017, 05:22:18 AM »
ALSO

On another forum

" If you can't afford $160 to go and see fucking METALLICA then you don't deserve to be a fan "

:rollin

These kind of fanboy sheep are hilarious. Like Metallica can do no wrong. Every single album is a 10/10 including St Anger " because it's fuckin METALLICA "

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #4464 on: February 16, 2017, 06:07:56 AM »
Already decided I'm skipping. It'll be over $350 for my wife and I to go, plus parking/refreshments. Not worth $500 to see them in a stadium and still be so far away.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4465 on: February 16, 2017, 06:16:25 AM »
Yeah it's a slim possibility for me too.

I mean I could make the effort and I can definitely afford it but I don't want half the day to be travelling.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4466 on: February 16, 2017, 07:19:07 AM »
ALSO

On another forum

" If you can't afford $160 to go and see fucking METALLICA then you don't deserve to be a fan "

:rollin

These kind of fanboy sheep are hilarious. Like Metallica can do no wrong. Every single album is a 10/10 including St Anger " because it's fuckin METALLICA "

That's ridiculous obviously

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4467 on: February 16, 2017, 08:19:08 AM »
Yeah it's like saying When Dream And Day Unite is every bit as good as Scenes From A Memory because they're both Dream Theater.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4468 on: February 16, 2017, 08:25:35 AM »
Got two awesome seats on the livenation presale (SHOWTIME if anyone needs it).  Dead center in the middle tier of seats.  $333 for two after taxes.  Expensive, but I think my seats will be sick so not going to complain about the price for seeing both Avenged and Metallica.

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #4469 on: February 16, 2017, 09:17:28 AM »
Already decided I'm skipping. It'll be over $350 for my wife and I to go, plus parking/refreshments. Not worth $500 to see them in a stadium and still be so far away.

same.  Plus the acoustics at AT&T Stadium are horrendous and we are already seeing Maiden that same week  :metal
Winger would be better!

. . . and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #4470 on: February 16, 2017, 10:24:31 AM »
Well, it seems they're gonna be staged in the middle of the stadium like they usually do.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4471 on: February 16, 2017, 10:53:49 AM »
Well, it seems they're gonna be staged in the middle of the stadium like they usually do.

In the round?  Not at Metlife stadium.  The stage is on one end. However, the show in Long Island in the arena is in the round. 

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #4472 on: February 16, 2017, 11:30:07 AM »
Wait... it's not all stadium shows?  There are arena shows on this run?

Why am I so out of the flippin' loop!

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4473 on: February 16, 2017, 11:33:15 AM »
Wait... it's not all stadium shows?  There are arena shows on this run?

Why am I so out of the flippin' loop!

I could be wrong, but they are part of the shows that are opening up the new Nassau Colliseum in Long Island NY.  I think that may be the only arena show and it's not with Avenged.  Def Leppard is also playing a show for the opening of that arena too.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #4474 on: February 16, 2017, 11:53:53 AM »
Yeah, I'll likely be passing on the US tour. After the Mexico City shows seeing them at Jerry World at $200/pop would only serve to piss me off. About the only good thing is that, unlike past Summer Sanitarium tours, this one will be air conditioned.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline fadetoblackdude7

« Reply #4475 on: February 16, 2017, 12:28:10 PM »
I went for the GA tix in Chicago. Prices are appalling, yes, but they're my favorite band and I haven't seen em in 8 years. So I was willing to take anything I can get.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4476 on: February 16, 2017, 12:40:58 PM »
I went for the GA tix in Chicago. Prices are appalling, yes, but they're my favorite band and I haven't seen em in 8 years. So I was willing to take anything I can get.

Yea, having never seen them nor Avenged, the price is something I can swallow for the experience.  Metallica is actually the band I've like the longest and haven't seen live yet so it'll be nice to check that off my list.

And honestly, it's not like Metallica concerts are going to get much cheaper in the future, maybe they play an arena instead of stadium, but the price will be similar still.

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #4477 on: February 16, 2017, 01:24:27 PM »
Home crap...$2,000 to take a pic with the band and meet them before the show is just insane.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #4478 on: February 16, 2017, 01:26:14 PM »
I feel like a lot of the prices are because Metallica are going crazier and crazier with their stage show.

Personally, and I know this is the age of huge elaborate stage shows and people love them, I think Metallica should go back to what they did in the early 90's. Get the big thing in the center, a few screens maybe, and just rock it out. Let their charisma get everyone into it, it's not like they're lacking in that.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4479 on: February 16, 2017, 01:28:23 PM »
I feel like a lot of the prices are because Metallica are going crazier and crazier with their stage show.

Personally, and I know this is the age of huge elaborate stage shows and people love them, I think Metallica should go back to what they did in the early 90's. Get the big thing in the center, a few screens maybe, and just rock it out. Let their charisma get everyone into it, it's not like they're lacking in that.

Not just Metallica, Avenged too.  There was an article I linked in the A7X thread about how they envisioned a bigger show with cirque du soleil dancers.  I don't know if that'll happen for this tour or not, but both bands have stated they are shooting for big stage shows.