Author Topic: The Metallica Thread v. Reloaded  (Read 384295 times)

Offline Cyclopssss

• Vocal Dinosaur pre-heat combustable
  • Connoseur of love
Re: The Metallica Thread v. Reloaded
« Reply #4375 on: February 13, 2017, 03:24:58 AM »
Think GaGa saved their asses in that performance. James was pretty disgusted at the end.  :metal
From the ocean comes the notion that the realise lies in rhythm. The rhythm of vision is dancer, and when you dance you΄re always on the one. From the looking comes to see, wondrous realise real eyes....

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #4376 on: February 13, 2017, 03:27:32 AM »
I like Gaga the performer.  By aside from a couple of tracks I find her music quite awful, I can't help feel she's wasting her talent with bland pop music.  Get yourself a band Gaga and make a rock album as she seems natural.

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #4377 on: February 13, 2017, 03:29:23 AM »
YouTube is full with rock / metal rearrangements of her songs, and some are quite credible - check for example Bad Romance done by Halestorm, that song is born to be played that way. She should pull a reverse Lulu and have her songs actually played by a rock band, with her starring.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Cyclopssss

• Vocal Dinosaur pre-heat combustable
  • Connoseur of love
« Reply #4378 on: February 13, 2017, 03:29:41 AM »
^^ Now THAT I would buy. 
From the ocean comes the notion that the realise lies in rhythm. The rhythm of vision is dancer, and when you dance you΄re always on the one. From the looking comes to see, wondrous realise real eyes....

Offline twosuitsluke

• Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
« Reply #4379 on: February 13, 2017, 05:13:34 AM »
God, that was a bit of a sham. I have no problem with Lady Gaga and think the performance could've gone really well. Shame James's mic fucked up. It all felt a little forced with Lady Gaga dressed the way she was, dancing like a stripper and crowd surfing. It did make me cringe a little.

The whole Master of Puppets playing when Megadeth collected their Grammy was even worse. The fact they played Metallica alone was a slap in the face but the rendition was an abomination!! Metal is not taken seriously as it is but this sort of thing only reinforces that mindset. Most people will have no clue who Megadeth are and probably thought that terrible version of MoP is how Megadeth sound! I would be livid were I Mustaine. No part of how metal was represented at the Grammy's made me proud to call myself a metal head. I know that isn't the point but my brother is a huge Lady Gaga fan and takes the piss out of my 'terrible' taste in music all the time. This could've been the chance to make him eat his words but alas  :lol

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4380 on: February 13, 2017, 05:26:42 AM »
Whatever.

Metallica will still have a hugely successful world tour and will still be a classic band in 20 years time.

Most of the artists on this years Grammys will probably be forgotten in a year or 2.

Am I right in thinking Megadeth hadn't won a Grammy before ?

Online Dream Team

« Reply #4381 on: February 13, 2017, 05:28:02 AM »
God, that was a bit of a sham. I have no problem with Lady Gaga and think the performance could've gone really well. Shame James's mic fucked up. It all felt a little forced with Lady Gaga dressed the way she was, dancing like a stripper and crowd surfing. It did make me cringe a little.

The whole Master of Puppets playing when Megadeth collected their Grammy was even worse. The fact they played Metallica alone was a slap in the face but the rendition was an abomination!! Metal is not taken seriously as it is but this sort of thing only reinforces that mindset. Most people will have no clue who Megadeth are and probably thought that terrible version of MoP is how Megadeth sound! I would be livid were I Mustaine. No part of how metal was represented at the Grammy's made me proud to call myself a metal head. I know that isn't the point but my brother is a huge Lady Gaga fan and takes the piss out of my 'terrible' taste in music all the time. This could've been the chance to make him eat his words but alas  :lol

Don't worry too much. The abomination that calls itself the Grammys ceased being about music years ago and is totally about popularity, fashion, etc. Who gives a shit what they think about metal? As for your brother, don't waste your time.

I was kinda hoping DT would have been nominated and won for TA.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4382 on: February 13, 2017, 05:33:17 AM »
Grammys be like

" Dream theatre ? Oh - that band that has half an hour songs ROFLMAO "

Offline twosuitsluke

• Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
« Reply #4383 on: February 13, 2017, 05:44:09 AM »
I mean I don't particularly care, I just feel bad for the bands as they aren't really taken seriously. I know that metal is credible but it sucks that it will never be taken with any seriousness, my Dad has often said to me over the years "When are you going to grow up and stop listening to heavy metal?" There have been times though where he's come over to my place and I've been playing some progressive metal and he's been like "This is good, who's this?" I've made him eat his words at those times  :lol

It just doesn't show Metallica to be the professional musicians they are and make some people think "Maybe metal isn't the joke I thought it was."

Then again, I like it not being understood by the mainstream so maybe I should shut up  :lol

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4384 on: February 13, 2017, 05:52:40 AM »
I don't mind Metallica playing with Gaga as a one off novelty thing.

The BRIT awards in the UK used to pair up weird acts to do a duet at the awards show. It's fine as a one-off.

I'm not sure how Metallica could look stupid after last night based on some of the things Gaga has been seen "dressed" in...

But it seems like nowadays - if Lars has an idea - then they do it. James allegedly left the studio for a week after Lars wouldn't let James play a riff the way he wrote it.

I mean i'm not bashing Lars but it's not good to expect to get your own way all the time.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4385 on: February 13, 2017, 06:22:06 AM »
Don't see the tour announced yet, but local NYC sports radio WFAN mentioned this morning they are giving away tickets to Metallica.  Said they are playing at Metlife Stadium and will also play the new Nassau Colliseum, which will be the only arena gig on the tour, the rest being stadiums.  Interesting if true.  I'd probably rather go to the arena show, but it's much further away for me. 

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4386 on: February 13, 2017, 06:22:51 AM »
Tour announcement is today. There's a teaser video on their homepage.

Offline kaos2900

« Reply #4387 on: February 13, 2017, 06:35:52 AM »
I like Gaga the performer.  By aside from a couple of tracks I find her music quite awful, I can't help feel she's wasting her talent with bland pop music.  Get yourself a band Gaga and make a rock album as she seems natural.

This. We have a couple of her albums and I like about 2 songs per album.

I'm more surprised at how many people actually watched the Grammy's.

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4388 on: February 13, 2017, 06:44:30 AM »
The duet came out a lot better than I thought. Lady Gaga killed it as always.

Offline kaos2900

« Reply #4389 on: February 13, 2017, 07:02:15 AM »
Can someone explain to me why Metallica was in the Rock category and not the Metal Category? I mean they lost to the higly overrated Blackstar album by Bowie. Who wouldn't want to see Metallica vs. Megadeath? To me this proves the bias and lack of respect shown by the Grammy's towards metal.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4390 on: February 13, 2017, 07:21:53 AM »
Tour is official:

I expect to be at the 5/14 show in NJ  :metal :metal :metal

Offline kaos2900

« Reply #4391 on: February 13, 2017, 07:23:45 AM »
First time they tour in the states in forever and it's a freaking stadium tour. Lame.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4392 on: February 13, 2017, 07:27:46 AM »
It is what it is.  This allows them to play less concerts which they have said they wish to do at their older age.  It'll be my first time seeing them so I am pumped.  Same with Avenged.  Get to see both for the first time in one shot.  :metal

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #4393 on: February 13, 2017, 07:32:00 AM »
Can someone explain to me why Metallica was in the Rock category and not the Metal Category? I mean they lost to the higly overrated Blackstar album by Bowie. Who wouldn't want to see Metallica vs. Megadeath? To me this proves the bias and lack of respect shown by the Grammy's towards metal.

Because Metallica are cool and accepted and somehow "mainstream" so the guys that the occasional dude remembers from Enter Sandman and Nothing Else Matter can't be that stupid noisy thing called metal... they're rock.

Ok, I'm bitter and sarcastic about it but I truly believe this is why they were chosen, Metallica are famous and so are "rock", metal is that weird undeground satanic thing.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline fadetoblackdude7

« Reply #4394 on: February 13, 2017, 07:36:24 AM »
June 18th. I'm there

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #4395 on: February 13, 2017, 07:37:00 AM »
Also, didnt watch the introduction but the OITNB person flubbed and didn't even mention Metallica just Lady Gaga...unprofessional of the Grammy's.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline cfmoran13

« Reply #4396 on: February 13, 2017, 07:47:23 AM »
Tour is official:

I expect to be at the 5/14 show in NJ  :metal :metal :metal
I'm hoping to be there as well.  It's been a while since I've seen them live.

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #4397 on: February 13, 2017, 07:52:52 AM »
I'd go to Phoenix if they're playing with Gojira as they are in San Diego.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline T-ski

« Reply #4398 on: February 13, 2017, 07:58:42 AM »
It would have been crazy if it was just the mic not working or just master of puppets playing for megadeth, but the fact that both happened. Oh man  :lol

And to go one step crazier, Megadeth comes from all the way in the back and you can see all the empty seats in the place. Damn

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7gpvXR3ifvo

I don't think this award was presented at the main show.
Is all that we see or seem, but a dream within a dream?

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4399 on: February 13, 2017, 08:48:42 AM »
*IF* the UK Tour includes a date anywhere remotely near me ( i.e. In South Wales ) I may consider going...

But if it's just the cities London Manchester Birmingham etc - no chance.

If they announce a Millennium Stadium or Cardiff International Arena date then I'll try get a ticket I guess.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4400 on: February 13, 2017, 08:50:45 AM »
A lot of my friends said no to the concert, it's on Mothers day.  Why couldn't they play on Saturday...

Offline axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #4401 on: February 13, 2017, 08:58:56 AM »
A lot of my friends said no to the concert, it's on Mothers day.  Why couldn't they play on Saturday...

ugh, that's gonna be a tough sell for me to bail on as well.
Photobucket sucks.

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #4402 on: February 13, 2017, 09:01:07 AM »
*IF* the UK Tour includes a date anywhere remotely near me ( i.e. In South Wales ) I may consider going...

But if it's just the cities London Manchester Birmingham etc - no chance.

If they announce a Millennium Stadium or Cardiff International Arena date then I'll try get a ticket I guess.

Same aside from Norfolk instead of Wales.  I doubt they'll play King's Lynn :(

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4403 on: February 13, 2017, 09:12:24 AM »
Without getting into the whole " oh boo hoo travelling to london is so difficult ::) " horse shit again...

Let's just say that yes - for me - having no transport and living an hours drive from the nearest train station and having to make multiple changes to get there

plus secure accommodation .. YES it *IS* a massive pain in the arse to get from " one side of the UK to the other ".

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4404 on: February 13, 2017, 09:14:46 AM »
I drove 4 hours each way two weekends ago to see a concert.  If there is a will there is a way.  But Im guessing, for you, the effort is just not worth it which is fine.  Traveling and finding a spot to crash is costly.  That's not including the ticket for the event and food and whatnot.

Offline axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #4405 on: February 13, 2017, 09:28:12 AM »
I'm thinking about going up for the Boston show if they'll be running a train to/from Gillette stadium. I'm due to visit Boston for a weekend anyway and would have a couple places to potentially crash.
Photobucket sucks.

Offline NotePad

« Reply #4406 on: February 13, 2017, 09:30:41 AM »
so i what is the reason for Metallica being nominated in the hard rock category instead of metal? we could have had Megadeth vs Metallica. Grammy's are stupid.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4407 on: February 13, 2017, 09:33:59 AM »
so i what is the reason for Metallica being nominated in the hard rock category instead of metal? we could have had Megadeth vs Metallica. Grammy's are stupid.

I think that answers it for you.

Offline Luoto

• Wandering midget
« Reply #4408 on: February 13, 2017, 09:58:46 AM »
so i what is the reason for Metallica being nominated in the hard rock category instead of metal?

There was no hard rock category. Hardwired was nominated in the Best Rock Song category, which spanned all subgenres.
Always too soon, always too late, always in between.

Online Anguyen92

« Reply #4409 on: February 13, 2017, 10:07:20 AM »
Just to clarify on whose pairing with who regarding opening acts.

05/10 – Baltimore, Md. – M&T Bank Stadium*^
05/12 – Philadelphia, Pa. – Lincoln Financial Field*^
05/14 – East Rutherford, N.J. – MetLife Stadium*^
05/17 – Uniondale, N.Y. – New Coliseum^
05/19 – Boston, Mass. – Gillette Stadium ^
05/21 – Columbus, Ohio – Rock On The Range Festival (SOLD OUT)
06/04 – St. Louis, Mo. – Busch Stadium^
06/07 – Denver, Colo. – Sports Authority Field*^
06/11 – Houston, Texas – NRG Stadium*^
06/14 – San Antonio, Texas – Alamodome*
06/16 – Dallas, Texas – AT&T Stadium*
06/18 – Chicago, Ill. – Soldier Field*
07/05 – Orlando, Fla. – Camping World Stadium*^
07/07 – Miami, Fla. – Hard Rock Stadium*^
07/09 – Atlanta, Ga. – Suntrust Park*^
07/12 – Detroit, Mich. – Comercia Park*^
07/14 – Quebec City, Quebec- Festival D’Ete
07/16 – Toronto, Ontario – Rogers Centre*^
07/19 – Montreal, Quebec – Parc Jean-Drapeau*^
07/29 – Los Angeles, Calif. – Rose Bowl*+
08/04 – Phoenix, Ariz. – University of Phoenix Stadium*+
08/06 – San Diego, Calif. – Petco Park*+
08/09 – Seattle, Wash. – Centurylink Field*+
08/14 – Vancouver, British Columbia – BC Place*+
08/16 – Edmonton, Alberta – Commonwealth Stadium*+

*With Avenged Sevenfold
^With Volbeat
+With Gojira

https://loudwire.com/metallica-2017-north-american-tour-avenged-sevenfold-volbeat-gojira/?trackback=tsmclip

So, the Rose Bowl show has A7X and Gojira.  Interesting........, it's a pretty big venue for a stadium as well.  I'll consider it if the right price intrigues me depending on where I am at in the job front.