Author Topic: The Metallica Thread v. Reloaded  (Read 384260 times)

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: The Metallica Thread v. Reloaded
« Reply #4340 on: February 10, 2017, 02:38:16 PM »
Today is Cliff Burton's birthday. He would have been 55 ?

Anyway - Jason was always my favourite member of Metallica when he was in the band. But I think that Rob is by far their most technically proficient bass player.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #4341 on: February 10, 2017, 03:07:44 PM »
Word on the street is that a US tour will be announced on Monday...

My body is ready

Both Iron Maiden and Metallica this summer!!! holy shit, my head is going to explode  :metal :metal

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4342 on: February 10, 2017, 03:16:57 PM »
Word on the street is that a US tour will be announced on Monday...

My body is ready

Both Iron Maiden and Metallica this summer!!! holy shit, my head is going to explode  :metal :metal

Hopefully Dream Theater too

Offline TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #4343 on: February 10, 2017, 04:41:39 PM »

Anyway - Jason was always my favourite member of Metallica when he was in the band. But I think that Rob is by far their most technically proficient bass player.

Cliff to me is the greatest metal bass player of all time. He took what a bass player is supposed to do in a metal band and completely turned it on its head. He influenced so many bassists in a way that really only Flea and Jaco can match. I know that I wouldn't be a bassist if it wasn't for seeing Cliff play and I wish I could have been alive to see it in person. I know that (Anesthesia) Pulling Teeth doesn't get much love here, but the first time I heard it my jaw was on the floor the entire time. It is still one of the holy grails of solo bass music and has certainly earned its place in Metallica's discography. Orion is a masterpiece for bass in terms of both playing and composing, with a well written a music bass solo following the absolutely breathtaking spacey middle section. His brilliance cannot be overstated.
People figured out that the white thing that comes out of cows' titties could be drunk, and the relation between sweet desires and women's bellies growing up for 9 months. It can't be THAT hard to figure out how a trumpet works.”

-MirrorMask

Online twosuitsluke

• Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
« Reply #4344 on: February 10, 2017, 05:23:32 PM »

Cliff to me is the greatest metal bass player of all time. He took what a bass player is supposed to do in a metal band and completely turned it on its head. He influenced so many bassists in a way that really only Flea and Jaco can match. I know that I wouldn't be a bassist if it wasn't for seeing Cliff play and I wish I could have been alive to see it in person. I know that (Anesthesia) Pulling Teeth doesn't get much love here, but the first time I heard it my jaw was on the floor the entire time. It is still one of the holy grails of solo bass music and has certainly earned its place in Metallica's discography. Orion is a masterpiece for bass in terms of both playing and composing, with a well written a music bass solo following the absolutely breathtaking spacey middle section. His brilliance cannot be overstated.

Yea, I'm with you on all the above. Cliff 'em All  :metal

Offline Azyiu

« Reply #4345 on: February 10, 2017, 05:35:43 PM »

That!  :tup
1949, 1950, 1952, 1953,
1954, 1972, 1980, 1982,
1985, 1987, 1988, 2000,
2001, 2002, 2009, 2010... 2020

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #4346 on: February 11, 2017, 06:13:42 AM »

Help me out.  Not shitting on your opinion, but honestly asking.  As someone who is Het's age - and by the way, I think Het IS Metallica - therefore grew up with the generation before, I get that Cliff was good, and different than the simple "root note chugging" of a lot of thrash, but I honestly do not get that statement.  He advanced the instrument, but in a world with Steve Harris, Geezer Butler, Roger Glover, and Geddy Lee, I'm just not seeing how Cliff turned the world around to THAT degree.   

If you wrote that paragraph and replaced "Cliff" with Geezer Butler, I'd see it.  Or Chris Squire.   But Cliff Burton?   Can you enlighten me on that?

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #4347 on: February 11, 2017, 07:00:43 AM »
I suspect the fact that Burton played the bass like a lead sometimes will be the answer, like during the intro of For Whom the Bell Tolls or parts of Orion.  You rarely hear a bass guitar used like that in music in general, much less metal, where the bass is often just rumbling all along with the drums to give that low end more aggression.

That said, he wouldn't be in my top tier of favorite bass players, but I can see why others would put him in theirs.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4348 on: February 11, 2017, 10:10:44 AM »
- - FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE - -

METALLICA confirm collaboration album with LADY GAGA

15 track 3 disc set titled "Me-Ga"

Out April 1st on @BlkndRecordings

yes i'm joking

Offline TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #4349 on: February 11, 2017, 10:27:45 AM »
That IS a joke right?
People figured out that the white thing that comes out of cows' titties could be drunk, and the relation between sweet desires and women's bellies growing up for 9 months. It can't be THAT hard to figure out how a trumpet works.”

-MirrorMask

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4350 on: February 11, 2017, 10:28:25 AM »
Which part exactly got you confused ? :neverusethis:

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!
« Reply #4351 on: February 11, 2017, 10:47:47 AM »
They are actually performing at the Grammy's right? I look forward to that.
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4352 on: February 11, 2017, 10:52:07 AM »
They are.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #4353 on: February 11, 2017, 03:57:46 PM »
- - FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE - -

METALLICA confirm collaboration album with LADY GAGA

15 track 3 disc set titled "Me-Ga"

Out April 1st on @BlkndRecordings

yes i'm joking

MetalliGa
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4354 on: February 11, 2017, 04:16:28 PM »
Yes. :p I thought so too.

Online Dream Team

« Reply #4355 on: February 11, 2017, 04:36:02 PM »

I would be if it was just them. Can you imagine them collaborating with Madonna or Whitney Houston in 1988?

But whatever, nothing will top that performance of One for their first appearance. The crowd had no idea how to react.  :lol :metal

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #4356 on: February 11, 2017, 04:49:47 PM »
Tour dates Monday?

A7X and Volbeat as support. I hear it's a stadium tour.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!
« Reply #4357 on: February 11, 2017, 06:48:08 PM »

I would be if it was just them. Can you imagine them collaborating with Madonna or Whitney Houston in 1988?
Not a fair comparison, they were a different band then.
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods

Offline jammindude

« Reply #4358 on: February 12, 2017, 05:14:46 PM »
That IS a joke right?

Ever since Lulu, we can never be sure.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #4359 on: February 12, 2017, 08:41:40 PM »
Watched the Grammy performance. They played Moth into Flame. Lady Gaga was pretty good, and Hetfields mic didn't work. He got pissed threw down the mic stand, then at the end tossed his guitar to his tech.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
« Reply #4360 on: February 12, 2017, 08:52:26 PM »
Is there a full video anywhere? All I've found are short clips.

Edit: Found one.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4HgiFW7vttA   Quality's kinda shit, sorry. Damn, though, Lady Gaga sounds awesome.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2017, 08:57:30 PM by Shadow Ninja 2.0 »

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #4361 on: February 12, 2017, 09:06:17 PM »
Oh man, that sucks! That probably would have been a super cool performance (I'm a Gaga fan). So lame that the mic cut out, doubt we'll get to see that again.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline fadetoblackdude7

« Reply #4362 on: February 12, 2017, 09:23:43 PM »
Apparently when Megadeth accepted their award, they played Master Of Puppets over the PA  :lol

Offline Adami

« Reply #4363 on: February 12, 2017, 09:26:26 PM »
Apparently when Megadeth accepted their award, they played Master Of Puppets over the PA  :lol

I had to look that up, because I was like "no way that happened".

Totally happened. I was surprised Mustaine didn't even comment on it.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline pogoowner

• Pancake Bunny
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4364 on: February 12, 2017, 09:55:40 PM »
That was really disappointing. I was looking forward to watching that all week. Even when they got his mic working, he was too low in the mix. And he was definitely pissed.

Offline TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #4365 on: February 12, 2017, 10:05:47 PM »
Lady Gaga killed it with Metallica. I already loved her, but between this and her stellar halftime performance, she has officially become my favorite pop artist of all time. She's the queen.

Oh, and Metallica were great as usual.

EDIT: And once again metal gets snubbed in the in memoriam. This time it's Nick Menza, the most significant drummer in Megadeth history, who gets forgotten. What does a metal artist have to do to be deemed important in the eyes of the people who make these in memoriam videos? Hell, even Muhammed Ali made it in and he wasn't even a musician.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2017, 10:19:13 PM by TheCountOfNYC »

-MirrorMask

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #4366 on: February 12, 2017, 10:21:33 PM »
Lady Gaga is a natural.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #4367 on: February 12, 2017, 10:26:01 PM »

Bet you a million bucks that Lars had something to do with it.

Offline Adami

« Reply #4368 on: February 12, 2017, 10:28:22 PM »

lol why? It wasn't over the PA, it was the house band. Likely a result of non-metal fans making the decisions without knowing the difference between the two bands.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Online Anguyen92

« Reply #4369 on: February 12, 2017, 10:32:35 PM »
So in terms of recent Metallica grammy appearances, which was better.  The one with the pianist where everyone went crazy and sloppy at the end of One or this one with Lady Gaga with Hetfield's mic not working?

Offline TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #4370 on: February 12, 2017, 10:35:52 PM »
So in terms of recent Metallica grammy appearances, which was better.  The one with the pianist where everyone went crazy and sloppy at the end of One or this one with Lady Gaga with Hetfield's mic not working?

This one was miles better.

-MirrorMask

Offline jammindude

« Reply #4371 on: February 12, 2017, 10:59:57 PM »

lol why? It wasn't over the PA, it was the house band. Likely a result of non-metal fans making the decisions without knowing the difference between the two bands.

Just a gut.   I didn't see or hear it....but I can still picture Lars passing out the sheet music to the band saying, "Trust me....he'll LOVE it!"

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4372 on: February 13, 2017, 02:27:02 AM »
I can't get over how powerful Lady Gaga's voice was on this performance, I was really surprised at how well her vocals harmonized with Hetfield in the chorus. That high note she hit with "high again" before the first chorus was pretty wicked.
I think I'll check out her music because of this.
This was a great performance, I wish it wasn't clouded by Hetfield's mic problems but it was and it's mostly what people are talking about.
I know this is lame to talk about, or at least I think so, but comments I've been seeing about this duet kinda irritated me, good fuckin God it's 2017 and there are still people with the teenage metal attitude of "metal musicians shouldn't mix with musicians from other genres, they're above that", I won't deny I was that guy in high school too and I thought it was an attitude confide to the late 90's/early 00's but I was wrong and a lot of people still carry it around, like they think they're elitists, you're not elitists, you're dim wits.
I wouldn't want somebody with 18 kids to mow my damn lawn, based on a longstanding bias I have against crazy fucks.

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4373 on: February 13, 2017, 02:28:46 AM »

:lol
I wouldn't want somebody with 18 kids to mow my damn lawn, based on a longstanding bias I have against crazy fucks.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #4374 on: February 13, 2017, 03:10:19 AM »
It would have been crazy if it was just the mic not working or just master of puppets playing for megadeth, but the fact that both happened. Oh man  :lol

And to go one step crazier, Megadeth comes from all the way in the back and you can see all the empty seats in the place. Damn

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7gpvXR3ifvo