Author Topic: The Metallica Thread v. Reloaded  (Read 384294 times)

Offline jakepriest

Re: The Metallica Thread v. Reloaded
« Reply #4305 on: February 09, 2017, 11:28:39 AM »
Tbh the only good harmony I can recall from Hardwired is on Moth. The rest of the songs feel really bland to me in the vocal department.
DM also has The Day That Never Comes, which is one of my most favourite Metallica songs ever.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4306 on: February 09, 2017, 11:56:39 AM »
To me, I can recall virtually every song on Death Magnetic with ease and it has some parts that I liked very much.  For Hardwired, that was not the case.  It's not a bad album, per se, it's just one that I honestly can't recall any memorable parts with ease and I can't see myself revisiting too often as much as Death Magnetic.  Of course, I say that as a casual listener of Metallica and metal music, so what do I know?  ::)

Opposite for me but then HTSD just came out so it's fresh in my mind.

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #4307 on: February 09, 2017, 12:02:27 PM »
Wow, it's interesting to hear other views. To me, Hardwired is way, way, more memorable than DM. Vocally and instrumentally.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4308 on: February 09, 2017, 12:04:06 PM »
Wow, it's interesting to hear other views. To me, Hardwired is way, way, more memorable than DM. Vocally and instrumentally.

Yep! Better vocals, riffs, guitar tone, lyrics.

I think the riffs on HTSD are way more creative.

I think Lars was over playing on Death Magnetic. On Hardwired - he sticks to what he does best - just laying back and keeping it simple and mostly tasteful.

But that't just my opinion Maaaan

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4309 on: February 09, 2017, 01:29:54 PM »
- - - Setlist for tonight's gig in Copenhagen - - -

1. Hardwired
2. Creeping Death
3. For Whom The Bell Tolls
4. The Memory Remains
5. Welcome Home ( Sanitarium )
6. Now That We're Dead
7. Atlas, Rise!
8. The Call of Ktulu
9. One
10. Master Of Puppets
11. Fade To Black
12. Seek And Destroy
13. Blackened
14. Nothing Else Matters
15. Enter Sandman

Sticking with the truncated set and an Instrumental for now.

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #4310 on: February 09, 2017, 01:39:41 PM »
I'd guess Het's voice still isn't 100%.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4311 on: February 09, 2017, 02:04:15 PM »
At least after this it's just one show on the 12th and then nothing til March 1st.

He should be able to recover by then.

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!
« Reply #4312 on: February 09, 2017, 04:30:42 PM »
^ :o That's interesting ! Can you break down why you prefer DM to HTSD ?

I mean most people agree that Hardwired trounces Death Magnetic on nearly every level.

I'm not arguing - i'm genuinely curious.

It can't be the production. DM is thin and fuzzy and all the instruments sound bad. James vox are thin & dry and have no harmonies.
Well they're definitely close. I would put them in the same tier quality wise, with DM just barely edging out Hardwired. There's a long stretch of Hardwired (starting at the end of the first disc and going through the second disc) that I just don't care for. If the album was just the first disc with Spit Out the Bone and Am I Savage (and maybe even Lords of Summer) replacing the last two songs, it would trounce DM for me. As it is, the album is a little bloated. DM is too, but I think it is slightly more consistent.

Two main problems with DM for most people seem to be production and overlong songs. Can't defend the production, it is unlistenable, although the 2016 remaster is OK. The bloated songs don't bother me too much. I am not going to argue that they are arranged well, but I am not bored by most of them.

But both are good. I hope it doesn't take 8 years for the next album because I think they're on to something great with Hardwired.
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods

Offline pogoowner

• Pancake Bunny
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4313 on: February 09, 2017, 07:58:52 PM »
Two main problems with DM for most people seem to be production and overlong songs. Can't defend the production, it is unlistenable, although the 2016 remaster is OK. The bloated songs don't bother me too much. I am not going to argue that they are arranged well, but I am not bored by most of them.
I think that bloat is something they've had a problem with for a very long time. You could easily chop a minute or two off of a TON of their songs and they'd probably be better, in my opinion. I'm still a fan, obviously, but they have a real tendency to linger on things like long intros/outros that don't really go anywhere.

Offline Mosh

« Reply #4314 on: February 09, 2017, 08:05:28 PM »
Yea exactly. It has been there since MOP really. I expect it with Metallica at this point.
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

Offline fadetoblackdude7

« Reply #4315 on: February 09, 2017, 08:19:08 PM »
But both are good. I hope it doesn't take 8 years for the next album because I think they're on to something great with Hardwired.

It won't be. James and Robert promised in separate interviews they won't make us wait that long again.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #4316 on: February 09, 2017, 08:53:03 PM »

I mean most people agree that Hardwired trounces Death Magnetic on nearly every level.

Ratings I see across the 'net seem to contradict this to a large degree. 

At RYM alone, DM is at 3.01 and the new one is 3.10; that is hardly a trouncing. 

At amazon, the new one is a half a point higher.

They have the same rating at all music.com

So by 'most people,' it seems like you mean 'I.'

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4317 on: February 10, 2017, 01:55:52 AM »

It won't be. James and Robert promised in separate interviews they won't make us wait that long again.

Plus they say that the last two times - they always forget how excited they are to release a new album.

But I don't expect it before 2020.

Offline OpenYourEyes311

« Reply #4318 on: February 10, 2017, 06:29:42 AM »

I don't put a lot of weight into what Metallica says as far as timetables. Last time they were in Boston (Jan 2009), they said it wasn't going to take 4 years to come back like it did the time before (Oct 2004). 8 years later, still waiting for a show...
I don't want MP playing with DT unless they were making a drummer change. If they let MM go and bring back MP, then fine, but no guest appearance please.
WELP.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #4319 on: February 10, 2017, 06:32:02 AM »

I don't put a lot of weight into what Metallica says as far as timetables. Last time they were in Boston (Jan 2009), they said it wasn't going to take 4 years to come back like it did the time before (Oct 2004). 8 years later, still waiting for a show...

Yeah, that kind of stuff is all just empty band pillow talk. :lol
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #4320 on: February 10, 2017, 06:47:43 AM »
Reasonably good interview with Het over in the "News" section at Eddie Trunk.com.  He doesn't say anything really new, but he does show yet again why he's a legend and one of the classiest men in rock. 

Offline fadetoblackdude7

« Reply #4321 on: February 10, 2017, 08:07:42 AM »

Hahaha Lars said the same thing here in Chicago.....

Offline Mosh

« Reply #4322 on: February 10, 2017, 08:22:09 AM »
Yea I'm not taking anything they say about the next album seriously until they're in the studio, and even then I'll be skeptical. Frankly I'm not even convinced that there will be another album.

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4323 on: February 10, 2017, 08:24:33 AM »
I won't believe it until I actually have it in my hand.

The album, that is.

:zydar:
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #4324 on: February 10, 2017, 08:33:26 AM »
:lol

I'm not sure if we will see another album from Metallica or not. I want to say yes, but I honestly don't know.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4325 on: February 10, 2017, 09:31:37 AM »
They've said in countless interviews since the album came out that they won't take as long and they regret the gap and they always forget how much they love releasing new albums

and that they always want to release new music...So i'm sure there will be another one.

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #4326 on: February 10, 2017, 09:42:08 AM »
They've said in countless interviews since the album came out that they won't take as long and they regret the gap and they always forget how much they love releasing new albums

and that they always want to release new music...So i'm sure there will be another one.

I've heard them say all that, I'm just not sure. I hope they have a couple more in them.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4327 on: February 10, 2017, 09:44:42 AM »
Unlike TOOL - they seem genuinely embarrassed that they took so long.

Het has even said in the past that he's ashamed that they've been a band for 35 years and released so little music.

I would be down with them releasing a 4 track EP every year instead of waiting 5 years for their 10 best songs.

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #4328 on: February 10, 2017, 09:50:26 AM »
Unlike TOOL - they seem genuinely embarrassed that they took so long.

Het has even said in the past that he's ashamed that they've been a band for 35 years and released so little music.

I would be down with them releasing a 4 track EP every year instead of waiting 5 years for their 10 best songs.

Honestly, I think if it was only up to Het, they'd release a lot more music in the future and probably would have released a lot more music previously. He seems to be the most outspoken about the slower rate of output.

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #4329 on: February 10, 2017, 09:55:17 AM »
Yea, Het isn't the dude responsible for the lack of music. Nor are Rob or Kirk.

Hm....
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4330 on: February 10, 2017, 11:40:33 AM »
Is it really Lars who drags his feet on getting new material released?

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #4331 on: February 10, 2017, 11:47:24 AM »
Is it really Lars who drags his feet on getting new material released?

I hate to say it, because the guy is clearly 100% into Metallica and super dedicated, but yes, it seems like it takes him a long time to finish things. So he probably doesn't view it as dragging his feet, but from an outside perspective it seems like the way he processes and approaches parts of the creative process tend to slow things down.

Offline fadetoblackdude7

« Reply #4332 on: February 10, 2017, 12:07:49 PM »

I'd be against that. I'm not a fan of EP's.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4333 on: February 10, 2017, 12:10:33 PM »
Hardwired...To Self Destruct has been a huge success. Everything they've done that isn't touring since 2008 has been a massive failure.

Hopefully that sends a very positive message. We want new music. Fuck 3D films. Fuck Festivals. Fuck collab albums....

Tour and record new music.

Offline fadetoblackdude7

« Reply #4334 on: February 10, 2017, 12:25:04 PM »
Hardwired...To Self Destruct has been a huge success. Everything they've done that isn't touring since 2008 has been a massive failure.

Hopefully that sends a very positive message. We want new music. Fuck 3D films. Fuck Festivals. Fuck collab albums....

Tour and record new music.

I am for that! Especially American touring!

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4335 on: February 10, 2017, 12:26:29 PM »
Word on the street is that a US tour will be announced on Monday...

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #4336 on: February 10, 2017, 12:27:40 PM »

Sweet!

Offline fadetoblackdude7

« Reply #4337 on: February 10, 2017, 12:28:25 PM »

Awww shit! 😀

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4338 on: February 10, 2017, 12:31:23 PM »

Awww shit! 😀

:metal :metal

Offline Awaken

« Reply #4339 on: February 10, 2017, 01:03:28 PM »
Reasonably good interview with Het over in the "News" section at Eddie Trunk.com.  He doesn't say anything really new, but he does show yet again why he's a legend and one of the classiest men in rock. 

Just stumbled on a Joe Rogan Experience podcast with Hetfield.  I love these, just two guys shooting the shit for a couple hours. Hetfield is pretty entertaining