Author Topic: The Metallica Thread v. Reloaded  (Read 384052 times)

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
Re: The Metallica Thread v. Reloaded
« Reply #4165 on: January 18, 2017, 09:12:02 PM »
Two Kirk solos, good lord.

Yea, that struck me too. Hard. Like a fist. An angry angry fist.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4166 on: January 19, 2017, 09:36:09 AM »
Metallica Play ONE with a Piano Player in Beijing

Interesting. I know they played with him before too.

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #4167 on: January 19, 2017, 09:40:54 AM »
Metallica Play ONE with a Piano Player in Beijing

Interesting. I know they played with him before too.

Eh, cool idea, but the result wasn't great. It sounded messy.

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #4168 on: January 20, 2017, 06:47:22 PM »
This has probably been mentioned in this thread, but I think Spit Out The Bone would be a perfect soundtrack for the Terminator movies.  :metal

Offline Azyiu

« Reply #4169 on: January 20, 2017, 06:51:38 PM »
...was at the Hong Kong show last night! It was a GREAT show!  :metal

Check out the setlist here, and it is possibly the best setlist yet on this tour... https://metallica.com/tour/26169  :hefdaddy

The greedy side of me wished they would replace Confusion with Spit Out The Bone... they also didn't play Harvester Of Sorrow and Whiskey In The Jar, two other of my fav songs... hey, still, it was a GREAT show!  :hefdaddy

« Last Edit: January 20, 2017, 07:15:59 PM by Azyiu »
1949, 1950, 1952, 1953,
1954, 1972, 1980, 1982,
1985, 1987, 1988, 2000,
2001, 2002, 2009, 2010... 2020

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4170 on: January 22, 2017, 08:17:53 AM »
Some of their Instagram comments are all like :

" :angry: I can't believe they didn't play [song]..I didn't even go to the concert and i'm furious !!! "

And people saying their live sound is shit - when all they've heard is a YouTube upload of a cameraphone clip. . . . .

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #4171 on: January 22, 2017, 08:19:03 AM »
Awesome pics Azyiu!
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #4172 on: January 22, 2017, 09:43:33 AM »
Some of their Instagram comments are all like :

" :angry: I can't believe they didn't play [song]..I didn't even go to the concert and i'm furious !!! "

And people saying their live sound is shit - when all they've heard is a YouTube upload of a cameraphone clip. . . . .

I've seen Metallica four times now (three if you count both performances at the Orion festival in Atlantic City as one show) and they delivered a fantastic show each time. They always play some deep cuts (I've gotten Fight Fire With Fire, Ride the Lightning, Trapped Under Ice, Escape, The Call of Ktulu, Orion, Blackened, ...And Justice For All, The Shortest Straw, Holier Than Thou, Don't Tread on Me, Through the Never, Of Wolf and Man, The God That Failed, My Friend of Misery, The Struggle Within, and To Hell and Back) and the energy level is so high throughout the whole show that whatever mistakes they make (which to be honest there's very few) are unnoticeable. They are still the best live band I've ever seen.
People figured out that the white thing that comes out of cows' titties could be drunk, and the relation between sweet desires and women's bellies growing up for 9 months. It can't be THAT hard to figure out how a trumpet works.”

-MirrorMask

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4173 on: January 22, 2017, 08:46:50 PM »
Kick ass Azyiu  :metal
Today, my wife declared her favorite song from Hardwired is When a blind Man Cries :lol
For a second I didn't know whether or burst her bubble about it being a cover or not, but I did, she wasn't too surprised since most of her favorite Metallica songs are from Garage Inc.
I wouldn't want somebody with 18 kids to mow my damn lawn, based on a longstanding bias I have against crazy fucks.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4174 on: January 23, 2017, 08:51:15 AM »
One of the problems I have with them live is - Kirk always tries to join back with the rhythm on the very next downbeat of his solo ending and he always rushes the end of the solo

to meet up with it and it sounds jumpy.

What he should do is play over the riff for a few beats and THEN join up with it. It's live. there's not going to be a huge drop in sound if he's not playing rhythm for a bar.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4175 on: January 31, 2017, 04:32:49 AM »
Confusion Live Debut Official Video

Not bad. I'm not sure about Rob dropping out in the riff and it sounds just a hair too slow - but still better than rushing it.

One of the advantages of them growing older is that they don't speed up like 10BPM live and Lars is more relaxed.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #4176 on: January 31, 2017, 05:09:15 AM »
About speeding up... I get the whole adrenaline thing, and probably at my own concerts I don't even realize how much the songs are faster, but there's a fine line between "playing a song a bit faster" and "turning it into a total mess".

Adrian Smith in Maiden was very dissatisfied about playing songs live too fast, and damn he was right, once in a while I hear from my bands live songs on YouTube and I go "geez, just slow it down".
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4177 on: January 31, 2017, 05:11:47 AM »
Lars noticeably counts songs in a few BPM slower these days plus he doesn't rush like he used to. He's pretty solid these days. Almost back to how he was in the late 90s.

It's good to hear as he was getting pretty bad for a while there. He's doing something right. He's ben steadily improving over a number of years now.

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #4178 on: January 31, 2017, 08:21:49 AM »
Confusion Live Debut Official Video

Not bad. I'm not sure about Rob dropping out in the riff and it sounds just a hair too slow - but still better than rushing it.

One of the advantages of them growing older is that they don't speed up like 10BPM live and Lars is more relaxed.

Sounded pretty good, the performance at least, the sound of these LiveMet videos lately has been pretty eh. If they are recording channel by channel and remixing the audio for these, someone needs fired, it should sound MUCH better. Heck, some good quality crowd recordings sound better than this.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4179 on: January 31, 2017, 09:13:22 AM »
They probably do them quickly. I have no complaints since they're FREE. If they were charging for these i'd expect better quality. But it depends how they sound on

the actual downloads that they sell of the gig. But you can sample those before you buy anyway.

I might get the first gig of the tour and a couple of other songs If they are available seperately.

www.livemetallica.com  < - - - - -

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #4180 on: January 31, 2017, 09:34:34 AM »
Oh yeah I get that they are free, all I'm saying is that dumping those channel signals from that Midas board Big Mick uses live (which costs 10s of thousands) into any DAW, you should be getting much better results.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni

Offline Luoto

• Wandering midget
« Reply #4182 on: January 31, 2017, 10:40:30 AM »
Lars noticeably counts songs in a few BPM slower these days plus he doesn't rush like he used to. He's pretty solid these days. Almost back to how he was in the late 90s.

It's good to hear as he was getting pretty bad for a while there. He's doing something right. He's ben steadily improving over a number of years now.

While Lars is a bit better overall these days, his somewhat natural lack of ability to keep steady tempo becomes glaringly obvious in a groovy song like Confusion. I was actually looking forward to hearing a live performance of that song the most, but that just doesn't cut it. Also confirms their guitars sound too thin live; Rob didn't actually skip anything.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2017, 10:47:32 AM by Luoto »
Always too soon, always too late, always in between.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4183 on: January 31, 2017, 11:22:04 AM »
Rob definitely drops out. The camera cuts to him and he stops playing on that hammer on part of the riff.

Also - as everyone on the Metallica forum says - being at a Metallica show is something else - their live vids just do not come anywhere close to how huge everything sounds in person.

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #4184 on: January 31, 2017, 11:23:39 AM »
While Lars is a bit better overall these days, his somewhat natural lack of ability to keep steady tempo becomes glaringly obvious in a groovy song like Confusion. I was actually looking forward to hearing a live performance of that song the most, but that just doesn't cut it. Also confirms their guitars sound too thin live; Rob didn't actually skip anything.

Honestly, I wouldn't judge their guitar tone off these videos, like I posted above, the quality isn't good. In person, those guitars sound VERY different.

Rob definitely drops out. The camera cuts to him and he stops playing on that hammer on part of the riff.

Yeah that was weird, I wonder why he doesn't play through that, can't really tell on the album what he does since the mix is so different.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4185 on: January 31, 2017, 11:25:59 AM »
I doubt it but MAYBE everyone playing that semitone hammer on just sounds too muddy ?

Offline Luoto

• Wandering midget
« Reply #4186 on: January 31, 2017, 11:26:34 AM »
Yeah that was weird, I wonder why he doesn't play through that, can't really tell on the album what he does since the mix is so different.

I really think he doesn't do anything behind those notes, the bass track is discernible enough in the mix. It would be strange if he dropped out anything at all, he has some serious chops.
Always too soon, always too late, always in between.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4187 on: January 31, 2017, 11:27:18 AM »
Just gonna stick the CD version on and see if he plays there.

... He doesn't.

EDIT : Another interesting thing Rob does is he only plays the Low E in the Hardwired verse. He doesn't even do the descending chromatic part or the turnaround. He just stays on E.

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #4188 on: January 31, 2017, 11:39:24 AM »
Just gonna stick the CD version on and see if he plays there.

... He doesn't.

Huh, okay. Must just be the difference in the mix that makes it noticeable in the live video. The mix on the CD is much more guitar heavy with all the layers, so if the bass drops out those notes, it's not as noticeable.

Offline emtee

« Reply #4189 on: February 03, 2017, 09:05:04 AM »
IMO they knocked it WAY out of the park with this one. I've never been a huge follower of Metallica but this album is totally kicking
my ass. Absolutely LOVE it!

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4190 on: February 03, 2017, 02:50:43 PM »
IMO they knocked it WAY out of the park with this one. I've never been a huge follower of Metallica but this album is totally kicking
my ass. Absolutely LOVE it!

Yep. It's a fantastic album. It's what I wanted Death Magnetic to be.

Plus it pretty much ticked all of my "wants" boxes :

√ Garage Inc Disc 1 Sonics
√ Vocal Harmonies
√ Improved Solos
√ Slower / Reload type songs ( Dream no More, Am I Savage )

There was something else but I can't remember now.

I love how the whole album sounds - it has a dreamy kind of feel to it. Plus at 13 songs and 84 minutes - there's almost no padding. Which is amazing. Considering they only wrote it for a year.

- - - - - - -

In Other News.

They are in Copenhagen right now and James is really sick. He cannot sing and stopped the show to say he can't sing and they want to stop the show. They played on anyway.

They might cut the set short. Shame. It happens I guess. Nothing you can do about it.

Offline Azyiu

« Reply #4191 on: February 03, 2017, 09:32:01 PM »
In Other News.

They are in Copenhagen right now and James is really sick. He cannot sing and stopped the show to say he can't sing and they want to stop the show. They played on anyway.

They might cut the set short. Shame. It happens I guess. Nothing you can do about it.

What a shame and it sucks for everybody...  :'(
1949, 1950, 1952, 1953,
1954, 1972, 1980, 1982,
1985, 1987, 1988, 2000,

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4192 on: February 04, 2017, 03:12:49 AM »
Next show is tomorrow evening. James should rest up and drink a lot of water and tea :)

Offline Mladen

« Reply #4193 on: February 04, 2017, 04:49:47 AM »
In Other News.

For a moment, I forgot I was in the Metallica thread. I though we were talking about James LaBrie and was like "holy shit, already?"  :lol

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4194 on: February 04, 2017, 06:00:18 AM »
According to reports - the whole band got sick from visiting China.

If it was Axl Rose - he'd have cancelled the entire tour :lol

Offline Azyiu

« Reply #4195 on: February 04, 2017, 06:30:04 AM »
According to reports - the whole band got sick from visiting China.

If it was Axl Rose - he'd have cancelled the entire tour :lol

I doubt that... they looked and played awesome at the Hong Kong show, which was a couple nights AFTER they played in commie China.

As for Axl Rose... well, I doubt that too... he is so short on cash these days, he wouldn't dare to even show up late!  :lol
1949, 1950, 1952, 1953,
1954, 1972, 1980, 1982,
1985, 1987, 1988, 2000,

Offline fadetoblackdude7

« Reply #4196 on: February 04, 2017, 10:35:29 AM »
Poor James. He wanted to stop, but people made him continue....? He probably felt like collapsing!

Btw, Hardwired is threatening to replace Justice for my 4th favorite.....it's just too damn good.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4197 on: February 04, 2017, 10:50:06 AM »
Poor James. He wanted to stop, but people made him continue....? He probably felt like collapsing!

Btw, Hardwired is threatening to replace Justice for my 4th favorite.....it's just too damn good.

It's my third fave after Master and Metallica. I was never a huge AJFA fan.

Offline fadetoblackdude7

« Reply #4198 on: February 04, 2017, 11:06:04 AM »

It's my third fave after Master and Metallica. I was never a huge AJFA fan.

It's hard to listen to (obviously), but it is a classic. Ride, Master and Metallica are permanently locked in the top spots for me

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4199 on: February 04, 2017, 11:21:35 AM »
Ride would be my #3 is not for Escape & Trapped Under Ice as I have mentioned before...

St. Anger & Kill would be dead last.