Author Topic: The Metallica Thread v. Reloaded  (Read 383736 times)

Offline Mladen

Re: The Metallica Thread v. Reloaded
« Reply #3710 on: November 29, 2016, 10:22:11 AM »
I might have said this before, but that middle/outro riff is the best riff on the album. By far.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3711 on: November 29, 2016, 10:22:41 AM »
I might have said this before, but that middle/outro riff is the best riff on the album. By far.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #3712 on: November 30, 2016, 08:13:25 AM »
Most of the solos are incredibly nothingy, but I do quite enjoy the one in Spit Out the Bone. It's not exactly amazing, but it at least feels like he actually wrote one rather than just playing whatever, and it's more interesting as a result.

Doesn't detract from my enjoyment of the album though, as almost all the solos are short and not really a key feature.

The good thing is, though, is that James/Lars must have laid down the fucking law, because even though they're short, they're real solos, not that noise-wankery that guys like Tom Morello seem to have made a career out of peddling, and that Kirk seems to show some affinity for.   

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3713 on: November 30, 2016, 08:24:45 AM »
Tom Morello :tdwn

Literally anyone with a kill-switch and a whammy pedal can sound like him.

Offline Train of Naught

• I sympathize, with a cockroach
  • .....and a cockroach
« Reply #3714 on: November 30, 2016, 08:27:34 AM »
"Guys like Morello" seemingly implies that he is part of a big horde of uninspiring guitarists when it comes to soloing but maybe thats just my interpretation.

Whether you like it or not, at least he did something no one had done before. And i know that that alone doesn't justify anything, but saying they're 'not real solos' is just plain incorrect.
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3715 on: November 30, 2016, 08:35:22 AM »

Was never a fan until I saw Prophets of Rage over the summer, and even though he uses the whammy pedal a crazy amount, he was absurdly mesmerizing to watch play and really was able to do things I have not seen before.  Totally changed my opinion on him.   

Offline jakepriest

« Reply #3716 on: November 30, 2016, 08:35:44 AM »

That sweet little solo in Audioslave's Like A Stone is more memorable than anything Kirk has ever put out.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #3717 on: November 30, 2016, 08:52:15 AM »
"Guys like Morello" seemingly implies that he is part of a big horde of uninspiring guitarists when it comes to soloing but maybe thats just my interpretation.

Whether you like it or not, at least he did something no one had done before. And i know that that alone doesn't justify anything, but saying they're 'not real solos' is just plain incorrect.

I never said they weren't "solos".   I just know that I recently picked up "Revelations", and the songs were largely verse, chorus, fluttery butterfly sound, extended wah sound, moderately fast scalar run, bridge, verse, chorus.   Very samey to me.   

I'm not at all saying Morello "sucks" or he's "bad", but I do think there is a real difference in terms of "making sounds" and piecing together melodic tuneful, TONEFUL, solos that bring the song to another level - think Schenker, Blackmore, Murray, Rhoads...   I know Kirk can do it, I've heard it.   

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3718 on: November 30, 2016, 09:58:55 AM »
I came here to comment on Hammett's soloing on this album and you guys are talking about it!
I have not been known to bash Kirk, I think I never complained about him and I find people who do as funny as the people who complain about Lars, cause to me Metallica is not about musicianship, it's about a vibe. That's why I still prefer Newsted to Trujillo, "but Trujillo is a better bass player", doesn't mean shit to me, this isn't Dream Theater.
HOWEVER, Hammett really blew it this time, he put minimal thought and effort into his solos on this album IMO, seems like he couldn't spare any fucks here. I'm calling the solos on this album "portable", these solos can practically be moved and exchanged between all the songs on this album and it won't matter, they all sound the same, they all go towards the same ups and downs and they all feel so uninspired and forced. Very disappointing on Hetfield and Ulrich as well that they didn't press him into doing better.
I wouldn't want somebody with 18 kids to mow my damn lawn, based on a longstanding bias I have against crazy fucks.

Offline PixelDream

• Maestro
« Reply #3719 on: November 30, 2016, 10:07:56 AM »
What's with all the Tom Morello bashing? Totally unique and inventive guitar player of you ask me.
Not 'Down To F***', but 'Dream Theater Forums' .

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3721 on: November 30, 2016, 10:10:56 AM »
That's a nice under-the-bus throw there :lol
I wouldn't want somebody with 18 kids to mow my damn lawn, based on a longstanding bias I have against crazy fucks.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3722 on: November 30, 2016, 10:12:25 AM »
What's with all the Tom Morello bashing? Totally unique and inventive guitar player of you ask me.

He has one sound as he sticks to it like glue on every album. Even when RATM became Audioslave i thought " oh great - maybe he'll play differently in this new band "

NOPE.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3723 on: November 30, 2016, 10:14:52 AM »
Apparently Lars coached Kirk on how to make the solos.

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/news/upcoming_releases/kirk_hammett_lars_coached_me_on_how_to_make_solos_for_new_metallica_album.html

That's a bit of a loaded headline. It's merely just lars suggesting solo arrangements. Like Kirk says - Lars isn't a melodic musician so doesn't suggest scales or anything.

Replace Lars with Greg in the article and all of a sudden it's a perfectly acceptable suggestion.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #3724 on: November 30, 2016, 10:16:49 AM »

That sweet little solo in Audioslave's Like A Stone is more memorable than anything Kirk has ever put out.

Yep. I'll never forget how awful that solo is.

Offline nobloodyname

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3725 on: November 30, 2016, 10:17:05 AM »
Re Hammett, I think it says everything that Fidelman, in the making of Dream No More video, made a sly quip about keeping Kirk away from the wahwah pedal. As for the solos, almost universally appalling. I'm not really one to bash Metallica. Hell, I even like St Anger. But the solos on this album... as I said somewhere else, they all sound like me in the session mode of Rocksmith. And that's not a good thing.
Paul
Gamer, rocker, humanist, womble
Leicestershire, UK
Getting right out of my comfort zone: www.youtube.com/@paulplayspoorly Go on, you can do it, too! (24/3/2024: Now playing on Paul Plays Poorly!, The Answer Lies Within by Dream Theater)

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #3726 on: November 30, 2016, 10:18:43 AM »

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/news/upcoming_releases/kirk_hammett_lars_coached_me_on_how_to_make_solos_for_new_metallica_album.html

That's a bit of a loaded headline. It's merely just lars suggesting solo arrangements. Like Kirk says - Lars isn't a melodic musician so doesn't suggest scales or anything.

Replace Lars with Greg in the article and all of a sudden it's a perfectly acceptable suggestion.

I can picture Lars now..

" No no no! What the hell are you doing premepting the dominant with a major 7th? Do you listen to Metallica and think words like Ionian? No! You think pentatonic! Now stick to the 12th and 14th frets and shut your pie hole!"
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #3727 on: November 30, 2016, 10:35:52 AM »

I can picture Lars now..

" No no no! What the hell are you doing premepting the dominant with a major 7th? Do you listen to Metallica and think words like Ionian? No! You think pentatonic! Now stick to the 12th and 14th frets and shut your pie hole!"

:lol Right on.

It sounds like Lars did the exact same thing with Kirk's solos on this album that he did on DM. There's lots of footage of those interactions on Making Magnetic. It's basically Lars tell Kirk to go after a certain vibe or feel or telling him when to play fast or stuff like that. Stuff a drummer would say to a guitar player. I'm not going to knock it, because I'm not sure that Kirk could come up with better stuff without Lars at this point. 20 years ago? Yeah probably. But not now.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3728 on: November 30, 2016, 11:04:57 AM »

::) Kirk duuude. You're in Aeolian. the sixth is MINOR. This song is about PTSD - it's no place to be using any secondary dominants or modal interchange. Think of your scale tones !

Think about voice leading.

:lol I can't imagine Lars having advanced music theory knowledge.  Although in the making of Death Magnetic he is talking about drum accents and he says something like " the and of 3 "

so he's not entirely ignorant of it.

EDIT : Besides - Kirk said in another interview that he records SO MANY solo ideas for each song - he has no idea which is the best one and Greg and Lars help decide. And if it was up to Kirk

- he'd put all of them on the song.

Offline pogoowner

• Pancake Bunny
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3729 on: November 30, 2016, 11:09:46 AM »

Yep. I'll never forget how awful that solo is.
Morello has a few solos that suck, but that is most certainly not one of them. My favorite of his is "I Am the Highway." Incredibly simple, but perfect for the song and extremely tasteful.

Offline OpenYourEyes311

« Reply #3730 on: November 30, 2016, 11:26:25 AM »
Serious question... I am reading a lot of "complaints" about Kirk's solos. For the most part, I never really pay attention to his solos as I'm more focused on what James's rhythm guitar is doing, or Lars on the drums. My question is: would it be better if they went the St. Anger route, and completely eliminated the solo? Does it take away from the song so much that it would be better if it weren't there? Or would it seem like something's missing if it were gone?
I don't want MP playing with DT unless they were making a drummer change. If they let MM go and bring back MP, then fine, but no guest appearance please.
WELP.

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #3731 on: November 30, 2016, 11:31:23 AM »
Serious question... I am reading a lot of "complaints" about Kirk's solos. For the most part, I never really pay attention to his solos as I'm more focused on what James's rhythm guitar is doing, or Lars on the drums. My question is: would it be better if they went the St. Anger route, and completely eliminated the solo? Does it take away from the song so much that it would be better if it weren't there? Or would it seem like something's missing if it were gone?

I wouldn't want them to go all St. Anger again and do no solos intentionally, for me Kirk's solos aren't taking away from these new songs. The problem is, they aren't really adding much for the most part either.

How about this crazy idea: Don't make a silly absolute rule like "no solos" or "solos" in regards to an album. Why don't they see what Kirk could come up with for a song, if it adds to the song in what they determine is a positive manner, have a solo. If it's not, don't have a solo.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3732 on: November 30, 2016, 11:36:50 AM »
Yep.

HTSD suffers a bit from having a solo in every song. Sometimes they just don't fit and you tune out until it's over.

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #3733 on: November 30, 2016, 11:37:58 AM »
Am I the only one who thinks Kirks solos are awesome and brilliant on this album?  I feel he's back in form and his solos make the album that much better! 
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #3734 on: November 30, 2016, 11:40:40 AM »
HTSD suffers a bit from having a solo in every song. Sometimes they just don't fit and you tune out until it's over.

Yup.

Am I the only one who thinks Kirks solos are awesome and brilliant on this album?  I feel he's back in form and his solos make the album that much better! 

His solos on this are better than DM, IMO. Still not on par with anything he was laying down pre- St. Anger though.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3735 on: November 30, 2016, 11:43:01 AM »

His solos on this are better than DM, IMO. Still not on par with anything he was laying down pre- St. Anger though.

Indeed. There's nothing as amazing as the outro to Leper Messiah or the fast second solo in Master Of Puppets.

Offline jakepriest

« Reply #3736 on: November 30, 2016, 12:45:15 PM »
[His solos on this are better than DM, IMO.

Not a chance. DM actually had decent solos, this album is just downright terrible in that regard.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3737 on: November 30, 2016, 12:54:50 PM »
The solo for End Of The Line was literally just any old shit. It wasn't even on tempo.

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #3738 on: November 30, 2016, 01:36:41 PM »
[His solos on this are better than DM, IMO.

Not a chance. DM actually had decent solos, this album is just downright terrible in that regard.

Eh, I'm not going to really try to sell why one turd is nicer than the other, I just think his stuff on HWTSD is better.  :lol

Offline Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
« Reply #3739 on: December 01, 2016, 12:28:57 AM »
If Tom Morello would get a guest solo spot on a Metallica song that would definitely be an improvement  :biggrin:
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #3740 on: December 01, 2016, 03:27:51 AM »
The solo for End Of The Line was literally just any old shit. It wasn't even on tempo.

I don't hate the solos on Death Magnetic like most people do (the solos on All Nightmare Long and The Unforgiven III are awesome) but even I think the solo in The End of the Line is atrocious.
People figured out that the white thing that comes out of cows' titties could be drunk, and the relation between sweet desires and women's bellies growing up for 9 months. It can't be THAT hard to figure out how a trumpet works.”

-MirrorMask

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3741 on: December 03, 2016, 09:31:27 AM »
I had a thought the other day.

Since Metallica were Metallica - so since Kill Em All basically - how many people have QUIT Metallica ? Jason Newsted.

That's it.

One Person. Obviously Cliff died so it doesn't count.

Now - how many people since Megadeth's debut album have QUIT the band ?

I guess Lars is easier to get along with than Mustaine :lol

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #3742 on: December 03, 2016, 09:44:54 AM »
I had a thought the other day.

Since Metallica were Metallica - so since Kill Em All basically - how many people have QUIT Metallica ? Jason Newsted.

That's it.

One Person. Obviously Cliff died so it doesn't count.

Now - how many people since Megadeth's debut album have QUIT the band ?

I guess Lars is easier to get along with than Mustaine :lol

Like Jon Schaffer and Iced Earth, Mustaine fired most of his hired guns.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3743 on: December 03, 2016, 09:46:39 AM »
And Metallica has never fired a member ( I don't count Mustaine since i'm only counting from Kill Em All. Plenty of bands go thru lineups before they get signed )...

Offline Train of Naught

• I sympathize, with a cockroach
  • .....and a cockroach
« Reply #3744 on: December 03, 2016, 09:47:39 AM »
Thank you for this super intellectual insightful analysis.
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.