Author Topic: The Metallica Thread v. Reloaded  (Read 383398 times)

Offline dparrott

Re: The Metallica Thread v. Reloaded
« Reply #3675 on: November 24, 2016, 10:06:12 AM »
I keep seeing ballads (or lack of) being mentioned, but I don't see why it's relevant. Metallica have hardly any proper ballads in their entire catalogue, and pretty much all of those are on the black album and Load/Reload. There's a variety of pace, moods and styles including gentle sections of songs - surely that's what matters.

I consider ballads or songs with enough slow sections to be mostly categorized as such: Every track #4 of every album minus Load, St. Anger and this new one plus Nothing Else Matters, Mama Said, Low Man Lyric and The Unforgiven III.

Then of course we could debate forever on what is a ballad, a slow song, if the songs that end up fast can be categorized as more complex songs etc but the "songs that you can pull out the lighter to and use them to make out with your girlfriend" are those ones for me.

Until it Sleeps (track 4 on Load) is considered a ballad while Kill 'Em All doesn't have one.
One is a ballad?

:umno:

"Heh...this part of the song sucks, but it gets cool later.  Heh eh heh" - Beavis

UIS is considered a ballad?
"I don't know nuttin about nuttin" - Marshawn Lynch

The very soul of what was once real music is now lost in a digital quagmire of emotionless sonic madness.

Offline LCArenas

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #3676 on: November 24, 2016, 07:07:58 PM »
Really loving 'Dream No More'. It's a combination between the best of Load and the best of the Black Album.

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #3677 on: November 24, 2016, 07:20:08 PM »
Really loving 'Dream No More'. It's a combination between the best of Load and the best of the Black Album.

Yea, really great song.

Listening to Spit Out the Bone (still hate the title), I think this is the most commanding that James has sounded in a long time. His vocals make me want to say "YES SIR!"
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Cyclopssss

• Vocal Dinosaur pre-heat combustable
  • Connoseur of love
« Reply #3678 on: November 25, 2016, 12:48:21 AM »
It has that infectious groove (that makes my body move) and makes me want to saddle up an ride towards the sunset yealling 'Chaaarrge!' at the top of my lungs.
From the ocean comes the notion that the realise lies in rhythm. The rhythm of vision is dancer, and when you dance you´re always on the one. From the looking comes to see, wondrous realise real eyes....

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #3679 on: November 25, 2016, 05:13:36 PM »
From what I've heard so far this a pretty strong album. It's got a bit of the generic Metallica stuff we're used to, but also some pretty good atypical stuff. It honestly sounds like more of a continuation of the Load albums than of DM.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #3680 on: November 25, 2016, 05:18:30 PM »
From what I've heard so far this a pretty strong album. It's got a bit of the generic Metallica stuff we're used to, but also some pretty good atypical stuff. It honestly sounds like more of a continuation of the Load albums than of DM.

Much heavier than the Load albums though. I definitely get the Load influence, but it's closer to TBA to me. And I agree about it's differences with DM. The only DM track I could see on this is Cyanide.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #3681 on: November 25, 2016, 05:21:50 PM »
From what I have heard, I don't see the Black Album comparison.  TBA had hooks galore, musically and vocally, in every song; I haven't heard a single vocal hook in the handful of songs I've heard from the new album.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #3682 on: November 25, 2016, 05:48:48 PM »
From what I have heard, I don't see the Black Album comparison.  TBA had hooks galore, musically and vocally, in every song; I haven't heard a single vocal hook in the handful of songs I've heard from the new album.

Well, it seems to have tremendous sound, so it feels production wise, of the TBA/Load era.
But it's a bit rawer than TBA, and if they came out with this instead of TBA in 1990, it might've been a little easier to digest than TBA. But Of Wolf And Man, Through The Never, both fairly in the vain of what's happening here.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #3683 on: November 25, 2016, 07:03:24 PM »

I jut listened to the first disk through, and I came here to essentially write exactly what el Barto wrote.   I agree with that completely. 

And to give my obligatory "James Hetfield is just as cool as f***."

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #3684 on: November 25, 2016, 09:48:36 PM »

It's definitely no comparison on that level, the only real similarity is that it's slower tempo, and less of the thrashy sound of the first 4 albums. Dream No More has a bit of a Sad But True thing going on, but that's about the only part where I felt a similarity.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3685 on: November 26, 2016, 06:01:52 AM »
Sonically it's closest to The Black Album or Garage Inc Disc 1.

or Load with sharper guitars and tighter rhythm playing. Mainly because Kirk did all one side on Load, Reload and James did all rhythms on the new album.

I've seen people on the Metallica forum say they've not got their orders from the Met Store yet.

Glad I ordered from Amazon. I got it on the morning of the release day !

Offline Adami

« Reply #3686 on: November 26, 2016, 03:16:42 PM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rGoZ_pQY-14

Making of Here Comes Revenge.

Pretty cool. It's interesting that Kirk is barely in it and only shows up to be told what to do.

Edit: Looks like they're putting up all (or most) of the making of's now. Doing Moth Into Flame right now, and again no Kirk.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2016, 03:23:35 PM by Adami »
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline PixelDream

• Maestro
« Reply #3687 on: November 26, 2016, 05:28:07 PM »
How James sings the verse in the last part of the video.. they definitely changed it up for something better in the end.
Not 'Down To F***', but 'Dream Theater Forums' .

Online ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3688 on: November 26, 2016, 07:27:23 PM »
I'm going to have to check out that video later. I love the making of videos so far.

Online Dream Team

« Reply #3689 on: November 27, 2016, 06:36:26 AM »
After more listens, my only gripe is that too often the riffs go into those Loadish candy-ass bluesy notes instead of sticking to tritone power chords. Still a very very solid album. Can definitely hear the snare.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3690 on: November 27, 2016, 06:51:34 AM »
Yeah all the instruments sound great. Heard too many metal albums where the guitars are over saturated and the bass is non existent and the snare is a tippy tappy click and the cymbals

are non existent.

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #3691 on: November 28, 2016, 07:15:04 AM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rGoZ_pQY-14

Making of Here Comes Revenge.

Pretty cool. It's interesting that Kirk is barely in it and only shows up to be told what to do.

Edit: Looks like they're putting up all (or most) of the making of's now. Doing Moth Into Flame right now, and again no Kirk.

Yup, first off, I love these videos, really interesting to watch. Second, I think the trend of no Kirk (except to lay down a solo) will continue for pretty much all these tunes.  :lol

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3692 on: November 28, 2016, 07:42:00 AM »
New album is great. If excluding Rob & Kirk gets these results again i'm all for it.

And Greg Fidelman is their new in-house producer it seems.

He engineered Death Magnetic and co-produced Lulu and produced the audio for Through The Never.

He produced their Rainbow medley.

He's their new Bob Rock.

INB4 Rob quits and Greg plays bass on their next album :biggrin:

Offline PixelDream

• Maestro
« Reply #3693 on: November 28, 2016, 09:42:00 AM »
I was slightly disappointed when I heard that Fidelman was the producer, since he engineered Death Magnetic which sounded awful. He definitely stepped up his game this time I have to say.
Not 'Down To F***', but 'Dream Theater Forums' .

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3694 on: November 28, 2016, 09:43:00 AM »
I wish that Death Magnetic had the production of Hardwired... But the iTunes remaster is probably the closest we'll get.

Unless they do a total remix for the DM Deluxe Boxset.

Plus it's more to do with Rick Ruin. His records are notoriously shoddy and Greg did much better work without him.

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #3695 on: November 28, 2016, 09:50:02 AM »

Eh, I wish, but I'm not holding my breath.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3696 on: November 28, 2016, 09:55:46 AM »

Eh, I wish, but I'm not holding my breath.

Nor am i.

Offline Adami

« Reply #3697 on: November 28, 2016, 10:14:01 AM »
New album is great. If excluding Rob & Kirk gets these results again i'm all for it.

Rob is there way more than Kirk.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3698 on: November 28, 2016, 10:17:05 AM »
Yes but he only has one writing credit.

Offline Adami

« Reply #3699 on: November 28, 2016, 10:51:46 AM »

True, but he's pretty present for the writing anyway. His bass is also the most present that bass has been on a Metallica album in possibly forever. The lead bass riff in Spit out the Bone is just orgasmic.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #3700 on: November 28, 2016, 11:12:28 AM »

True, but he's pretty present for the writing anyway. His bass is also the most present that bass has been on a Metallica album in possibly forever. The lead bass riff in Spit out the Bone is just orgasmic.

Yup, and it seems, from interviews I have seen, that Rob was definitely a voice in the room helping James and Lars make sense of things at times.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3701 on: November 28, 2016, 11:19:08 AM »

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #3702 on: November 28, 2016, 11:30:59 AM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SLPC3t5hWvo

Making of Dream No More.

Really good song, really good making of video. Like I just said, Rob continues to appear to be a voice in the room during a lot of these jam sessions.

Offline Tomislav95

« Reply #3703 on: November 28, 2016, 11:31:55 AM »
I still have to give it more listens but right now Dream No More is my favorite. So me'al!
...the years just pass like trains
I wave but they don't slow down...

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #3704 on: November 29, 2016, 08:47:14 AM »

I noticed that (and in the covers too).  Rob is a big part of the sound of this album, and that's a good thing.    I actually like most of the solos on this record, too, but it's not as pervasive as the bass.    And I'm sorry, but I can't help but just assume that every riff, every lick, every chord is really James.   

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #3705 on: November 29, 2016, 08:57:04 AM »
Most of the solos are incredibly nothingy, but I do quite enjoy the one in Spit Out the Bone. It's not exactly amazing, but it at least feels like he actually wrote one rather than just playing whatever, and it's more interesting as a result.

Doesn't detract from my enjoyment of the album though, as almost all the solos are short and not really a key feature.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #3706 on: November 29, 2016, 08:58:42 AM »
And I'm sorry, but I can't help but just assume that every riff, every lick, every chord is really James.

That's a good assumption. He and Lars have writing credit on every song except for ManUNKind where Rob also has credit. So I think it's safe to say that every riff, lick, and chord in every other song is all James. All from jams or random ideas that he recorded over the last 8 or so years.

On a side note, Am I Savage? has continued to grow on me. It started out as eh, then I really started liking it, now it's one of my, if not my favorite on the album. Incredible song, found I liked it more when hearing James talk about the lyrics on it as well.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3707 on: November 29, 2016, 09:05:34 AM »
Am I Savage has that stupidly heavy middle and outro.

:metal Also it's Hetfield's favourite part on the album.

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #3708 on: November 29, 2016, 09:14:52 AM »
Am I Savage has that stupidly heavy middle and outro.

:metal Also it's Hetfield's favourite part on the album.

Oh really? I didn't know that. That riff is fantastic. Classic example of why James Hetfield is soooo good. Simple riff, standard tuning, sounds absolutely massive in context. It's that right hand baby. A hundred other guitar players could play that exact same riff and none of them would make it sound like Het.

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #3709 on: November 29, 2016, 09:24:27 AM »
I dig Am I Savage a lot. I love the main bluesy riff, and also really enjoy the way they play around with rhythms and time signatures (maybe just triplets in normal and double time but works to the same effect).

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.