Author Topic: The Metallica Thread v. Reloaded  (Read 384099 times)

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: The Metallica Thread v. Reloaded
« Reply #3010 on: October 04, 2016, 05:04:41 AM »
Reading some of my posts in this thread.

I was really tired of the band 3 years ago :lol

Really excited about the new album now though.

Offline dparrott

« Reply #3011 on: October 04, 2016, 08:50:04 AM »
"I don't know nuttin about nuttin" - Marshawn Lynch

The very soul of what was once real music is now lost in a digital quagmire of emotionless sonic madness.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3012 on: October 04, 2016, 09:13:38 AM »
It really doesn't.

You're implying that the longer you spend on a song - the better it is.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3013 on: October 04, 2016, 09:59:06 AM »
So Kirk Hammett doesn't have a single writing credit on this album.

Good ? Bad ? Yes he came up with the Sandman riff and the "Die!" section of Creeping Death..

What has he done since then ?

Offline kaos2900

« Reply #3014 on: October 04, 2016, 10:09:31 AM »

Good ? Bad ? Yes he came up with the Sandman riff and the "Die!" section of Creeping Death..

So does he just do the solos?

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #3015 on: October 04, 2016, 10:13:39 AM »

Since? Pretty sure he wrote a decent amount of riffs on the Loads, St. Anger and DM.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3016 on: October 04, 2016, 10:18:05 AM »
I think he just does solos on Hardwired. Which is all he did up until Load, Reload & St. Anger anyway.

On Death Magnetic - James went back to recording all rhythms again.

Which also means he didn't play a note on the studio version of Nothing Else Matters.

I know he wrote riffs as well but it looks like none of his ideas were used this time...

Online Adami

« Reply #3017 on: October 04, 2016, 10:19:06 AM »
Well I know Kirk wrote hundreds of riffs.....and then lost his phone with all of them on it. But I figure if his role in the band is only to play solos, then he wouldn't even bother trying to write that many riffs.

fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #3018 on: October 04, 2016, 10:28:10 AM »
Moth Into Flame is fucking awesome.

I haven't been so excited for something Metallica-related in several years. I'm ready for this album.

It's funny to think that the band that wrote this also wrote Lols of Summer.
Quote from: TioJorge
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
Quote from: hefdaddy42
The Darklord is amazing

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #3019 on: October 04, 2016, 10:30:30 AM »
Well I know Kirk wrote hundreds of riffs.....and then lost his phone with all of them on it. But I figure if his role in the band is only to play solos, then he wouldn't even bother trying to write that many riffs.

Well on DM, they took a more collaborative approach to the writing, so based on that, he probably wanted to bring ideas to the table.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3020 on: October 04, 2016, 10:53:20 AM »

I think this is BS. Why would you only keep them on your iPhone and nowhere else ? How would Kirk not have some kind of portastudio or home studio to make his own demoes ? ***

Maybe he decided early on that he wasn't going to write anything for the album and they came up with the phone story as a cover ?

And how many voice notes can an iPhone hold anyway ? They'd be awful quality too..

Something doesn't add up...

*** - In fact they record very single jam they do on tour and Kirk didn't play ONE of his own riffs in that time ? Yeah Right.

Online Adami

« Reply #3021 on: October 04, 2016, 11:15:14 AM »
Seems like a silly thing to lie about, since he doesn't have to say anything at all. No one is sitting around clamoring for Kirk to write riffs.

So I think he was being honest, even if he handles his ideas differently than you or others would.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #3022 on: October 04, 2016, 11:44:19 AM »
Hundreds of riffs?  For this one album? 

The Riffmaster General, Tony Iommi, has barely written "hundreds of riffs" in his entire career.

Offline Peace and Love

« Reply #3023 on: October 04, 2016, 11:46:23 AM »

Are you for real??   :facepalm:

Kirk has numerous writing credits on some of Metallica's greatest songs. He contributed riffs to Trapped Under Ice, Master of Puppets, Damage Inc (the fucking incredible middle section one), Hero of the Day... and that's just to name a handful out of dozens of songs.

Online Adami

« Reply #3024 on: October 04, 2016, 11:47:23 AM »
Hundreds of riffs?  For this one album? 

The Riffmaster General, Tony Iommi, has barely written "hundreds of riffs" in his entire career.

He said 250 musical ideas. I'm sure at least 250 of them are chugging on E and old school thrash ideas that are usually chugging on E as well. But yea.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3025 on: October 04, 2016, 12:06:36 PM »

Are you for real??   :facepalm:

Kirk has numerous writing credits on some of Metallica's greatest songs. He contributed riffs to Trapped Under Ice, Master of Puppets, Damage Inc (the fucking incredible middle section one), Hero of the Day... and that's just to name a handful out of dozens of songs.

I meant that since Sandman - has he come up with anything AS iconic ? I know he did that one riff in My Apocalypse that James really liked. .

Online Adami

« Reply #3026 on: October 04, 2016, 12:10:32 PM »
As iconic as Sandman? No.

Neither has Hetfield.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ragnarök around the Clöck!
« Reply #3027 on: October 04, 2016, 12:11:24 PM »
Okay, but nothing since Sandman has been as iconic, so that's kind of an unfair comparison.
scorpion is my favorite deathcore lobster
Hey, the length is fine :azn: Thanks!

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3028 on: October 05, 2016, 04:55:59 AM »
So Metallica consider Hardwired to be their 11th studio album - counting Garage Inc Disc 1 as a studio album I guess.

It's still their 10th album of original material though...

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #3029 on: October 05, 2016, 08:39:29 AM »
I like the new song, but considering how I'm not going insane over it I've realized something that well, it's really nothing new to me but I understood it clearly now...

I still consider myself a Metallica fan, but simply put, the fire and the passion is no longer there for me, towards them. They were one of the first metal bands I listened to, 20 years ago, and so they shaped a lot my defition of what heavy metal was supposed to me. Have a laugh with this naive opinion, with my musical tastes still developing as a young kid, I considered Creeping Death the "heaviest and most brutal song ever made", I couldn't imagine something even heavier and faster, haha!

Anyway, I fell in love like any metalhead with the stuff up until the Black Album, and the first album that I was anticipating as a fan was Load. Regardless of how the album aged and how it has been revaluated over time, c'mon, let's admit it, we all hated it back in 1996 when it came out. Plus there was the Napster thing, the sudden change of look and style, ReLoad filled with bad songs only a year after etc... basically Metallica were not so cool anymore.

Garage INC was all covers, and the orchestra album was just a side thing, it took them 6 years after ReLoad to come up with a new album... and it was St. Anger. Ugh.

By the time the shock of that atrocity has passed, another 5 years have gone. It was 2008 and Death Magnetic came... too little, too late.

I saw them live for the first and so far only time in 2011, with the Big 4 tour: it was awesome! I truly and really liked it, awesome setlist (with only ONE song post Black album, go figure...), and I really felt drawn to their music again.

And then, well, they disappeared AGAIN only to resurface in these days.

To put it short, Metallica took an hell of a time to release albums, and with various degrees of letdown. Too little over too much time to resparkle the initial fire of when I discovered them, I still love dearly the first part of their carrer but with them it's not a matter of staying a fan - it's a matter of seeing every 5 years or more if the new stuff doesn't suck or not.

So while I will surely listen with interest to the new album, I guess they'll never really "bring me back" for good, they're gonna disappear until 2022 anyway.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #3030 on: October 05, 2016, 08:53:33 AM »
Great Post, Mask!
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3031 on: October 05, 2016, 09:27:07 AM »
Great Post, Mask!

Yea, I feel a lot of what Mask wrote as a kid in the 90s listening to Metallica as my first metal band. 

Offline Cyclopssss

• Vocal Dinosaur pre-heat combustable
  • Connoseur of love
« Reply #3032 on: October 05, 2016, 11:05:46 AM »
I like the new song, but considering how I'm not going insane over it I've realized something that well, it's really nothing new to me but I understood it clearly now...

I still consider myself a Metallica fan, but simply put, the fire and the passion is no longer there for me, towards them. They were one of the first metal bands I listened to, 20 years ago, and so they shaped a lot my defition of what heavy metal was supposed to me. Have a laugh with this naive opinion, with my musical tastes still developing as a young kid, I considered Creeping Death the "heaviest and most brutal song ever made", I couldn't imagine something even heavier and faster, haha!

Anyway, I fell in love like any metalhead with the stuff up until the Black Album, and the first album that I was anticipating as a fan was Load. Regardless of how the album aged and how it has been revaluated over time, c'mon, let's admit it, we all hated it back in 1996 when it came out. Plus there was the Napster thing, the sudden change of look and style, ReLoad filled with bad songs only a year after etc... basically Metallica were not so cool anymore.

Garage INC was all covers, and the orchestra album was just a side thing, it took them 6 years after ReLoad to come up with a new album... and it was St. Anger. Ugh.

By the time the shock of that atrocity has passed, another 5 years have gone. It was 2008 and Death Magnetic came... too little, too late.

I saw them live for the first and so far only time in 2011, with the Big 4 tour: it was awesome! I truly and really liked it, awesome setlist (with only ONE song post Black album, go figure...), and I really felt drawn to their music again.

To put it short, Metallica took an hell of a time to release albums, and with various degrees of letdown. Too little over too much time to resparkle the initial fire of when I discovered them, I still love dearly the first part of their carrer but with them it's not a matter of staying a fan - it's a matter of seeing every 5 years or more if the new stuff doesn't suck or not.

So while I will surely listen with interest to the new album, I guess they'll never really "bring me back" for good, they're gonna disappear until 2022 anyway.

It's because they need to go into 'therapy' during each writing session... 
From the ocean comes the notion that the realise lies in rhythm. The rhythm of vision is dancer, and when you dance you´re always on the one. From the looking comes to see, wondrous realise real eyes....

Offline kaos2900

« Reply #3033 on: October 05, 2016, 11:46:23 AM »

Agreed. Great post and it really sums up my feelings well.

Offline Lax

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #3034 on: October 07, 2016, 12:44:07 AM »
I have been a fan from youth to S&M, that was a huge blast to me.
Discovering DT just wiped Metallica out, especially considering albums released like st anger.
I didn't like DM.

Today, I like what I'm hearing, but I have no hype, maybe I'll get surprised listening to the album.
It's too microwaved for me, once you had the fresh taste :)
EBMM JP12 Cherry Sugar + JP7 Pearl Redburst
Axe FX 2 XL+ & MFC101 MK3 & Roland EV5
Boss WL-50, Morpheus droptune, G-Lab Wowee Wah, 2x Yamaha HS7, Sennheiser HD25 SP2 & Jamhub Bedroom
https://www.facebook.com/Laxthestampede/

Offline Mladen

« Reply #3035 on: October 07, 2016, 10:16:10 AM »
I know people are trying to forget this album ever existed, but I'm listening to Lulu in its entirety for the first time in years.

It still fascinates me. Any appreciation at all?

Offline fadetoblackdude7

« Reply #3036 on: October 07, 2016, 10:38:02 AM »
I know people are trying to forget this album ever existed, but I'm listening to Lulu in its entirety for the first time in years.

It still fascinates me. Any appreciation at all?

Nope

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3037 on: October 07, 2016, 10:38:06 AM »
I appreciate it.

I'm not adverse to weirdness.

Besides - if you listen to it as a Lou Reed album which just happens to have Metallica playing on it - then it's ok.

It's not the fucking Yoko Ono Band levels of terrible or even Metal Machine Music.

I think the main reason people hate it so much is because they acted like it was the actual 10th Metallica album and Lou Reed was the new lead singer.

Those of us who already knew what Lou Reed sounded like were like "....um yeah it's a lou reed album what did you expect ? :lol "

There are some downright awesome moments on it - The View actually gave me goosebumps when I first heard it. The Dragon and Frustration riffs are KILLER.

If Lulu was *JUST* a Lou Reed album and didn't feature Metallica at all then it would just be released and nobody would ever mention it.

Apparently actual Lou reed fans really like it.

But because Metallica were the backing band - it exposed Lou Reed and his "voice" to Metallica fans who were like " LOL GRAMPTALLICA "

I saw one reaction video which went as far to say " james vocals are also shit and the guitar sound is fucking awful and the drums sound shit too "

Which is really not true. The production on Lulu is massive. All the instruments sound great.

Offline Mladen

« Reply #3038 on: October 07, 2016, 11:15:25 AM »
Those are some very good points. The thing is, I was initially thrown off by everything about it, but after a little while I started to get fascinated by Lou Reed's storytelling devices. I wasn't too familiar with his work at the time so I made a special note of it. Just last year I became a massive The Velvet Underground fan, and over the last several months got crazily into albums like Berlin and Transformer. It helped me appreciate Lulu even more.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3039 on: October 07, 2016, 11:33:35 AM »
Yes it is just Lou reed talking over Metallica jamming.

But Lou has never been a singer.

I think - if you're going to criticise it - you should criticise it as a Lou Reed album. Not as a Metallica album which has Lou on lead vocals.

If Lulu was the 10th Metallica studio album - the actual follow up to Death Magnetic - and Lou Reed had joined metallica permanently as lead vocalist and rhythm guitarist...

Then the hatred would be warranted.

Offline ThatOneGuy2112

« Reply #3040 on: October 07, 2016, 12:08:18 PM »
Lulu is an album that seems to have unfortunately gotten the worst of both worlds from the fans.

A lot of Lou Reed fans saw the Metallica label and considered it too pedestrian for their tastes, while Metallica fans called it utter shite as soon as there's any hint of 'weirdness' or experimentation on it.

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!
« Reply #3041 on: October 07, 2016, 12:12:15 PM »
I still think that's why they did the collaboration to begin with. They both have some of the most opinionated passionate fans in the world, they probably wanted to piss off both fanbases.
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3042 on: October 07, 2016, 12:13:22 PM »
I can see Lars totally wanting to do it as he's kind of a bohemian and a jazz fan and art fan.

Offline NoseofNicko

« Reply #3043 on: October 07, 2016, 02:51:59 PM »
Lulu has a couple of good songs. Just don't remember which ones. The weird creepy experimental ones. Those actually work with Lou Reed's vocals. I think any experimental music fan could appreciate those songs. Or maybe it's just one song, I don't remember.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2016, 02:57:29 PM by NoseofNicko »

Online Adami

« Reply #3044 on: October 07, 2016, 05:22:16 PM »
Lulu is an album that seems to have unfortunately gotten the worst of both worlds from the fans.

A lot of Lou Reed fans saw the Metallica label and considered it too pedestrian for their tastes, while Metallica fans called it utter shite as soon as there's any hint of 'weirdness' or experimentation on it.

That's a super judgmental perspective. I like weird music just fine. I just didn't like Lulu. It's possible to just not dig something without it being due to ignorance or stubbornness or anything like that.
fanticide.bandcamp.com