Author Topic: The Metallica Thread v. Reloaded  (Read 384730 times)

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: The Metallica Thread v. Reloaded
« Reply #2030 on: June 08, 2016, 08:38:37 AM »
I don't trust live DVDs. On the Nimes 2009 DVD they've clearly overdubbed perfect double bass where there isn't any if you youTube the same gig via someone's phone. It's not there.

Also - as people on the Metallica forum have pointed out...

They've used the *exact same* vocal track for Mexico City 2009 and Nimes 2009 Fade To Black...

Everything can be overdubbed and quantised and tuned afterwards.

I love seeing clips of Metallica DVDs on YouTube and a comment saying " PROOF they're still as good as they were ".

Well no.

Online mikeyd23

« Reply #2031 on: June 08, 2016, 10:03:18 AM »
Yeah man, stuff like that makes the 91 Moscow gig even better though. Direct broadcast, you know they weren't touched up, you hear everything, mistakes and all. And it's glorious.

Offline 425

And if spirit's a sign,
Then it's only a matter of time

Online mikeyd23

« Reply #2033 on: June 13, 2016, 12:32:16 PM »
Yeah the Metallica forum has been talking about this for a week or so. Looks like the mixing stage is upon us, and I think Lars said in the month of June they will sit down and pick final songs, titles, album title etc... So it seems like a fall 2016 release is likely.

Kotowboy posts over on the Metallica forum a good bit, he could probably share more info if there is more, but I think that's about it.

Online fadetoblackdude7

« Reply #2034 on: June 13, 2016, 04:58:09 PM »

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2035 on: June 13, 2016, 06:48:32 PM »
Yeah the Metallica forum has been talking about this for a week or so. Looks like the mixing stage is upon us, and I think Lars said in the month of June they will sit down and pick final songs, titles, album title etc... So it seems like a fall 2016 release is likely.

Kotowboy posts over on the Metallica forum a good bit, he could probably share more info if there is more, but I think that's about it.

That's all I know too.

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #2036 on: June 13, 2016, 06:54:46 PM »
If you had asked even 15 years ago whether it's possible to be not at all excited for a new Metallica album, I'd say no way. I don't think I've ever seen a band work so hard to quell interest.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #2037 on: June 13, 2016, 07:05:50 PM »
I'm excited. 

I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline 425

« Reply #2038 on: June 13, 2016, 07:13:39 PM »
If you had asked even 15 years ago whether it's possible to be not at all excited for a new Metallica album, I'd say no way. I don't think I've ever seen a band work so hard to quell interest.

I honestly just think that it's going to be more like Lords of Summer. I liked Death Magnetic and Beyond Magnetic. I think there are some really good songs on that album and EP, but I don't feel an urgent need for more of the exact same. Especially when they clearly don't even believe in those songs enough to play them anymore.

I mean, if that's what it is (and I suspect it will be), hopefully we'll get some good songs out of it. If that's what it is, and it's as good as Death Magnetic, my expectations will be completely met and I'll be totally happy with it. But I'm hoping for something at least a little different.
And if spirit's a sign,

Online Adami

« Reply #2039 on: June 13, 2016, 07:16:35 PM »
I didn't say no one can be excited, I said I don't think I've seen a band work so hard to make sure no one was excited. Metallica is definitely doing that.

From just putting it off over and over and over for years, to the way they discuss the album "yea, it'll be done whenever, I dunno we got other things to do instead". I sense literally 0% excitement from the band when I read interviews about the album.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Jaffa

• Just Jaffa
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2040 on: June 13, 2016, 07:18:36 PM »
Yeah, they definitely don't seem to be prepared to put much hype behind it, at least not so far. 

Nevertheless, I'm excited. 
Sincerely,
Jaffa

Offline 425

« Reply #2041 on: June 13, 2016, 07:19:05 PM »
That's definitely true. I don't know why they'd make a new album if they didn't want to, though, given that they can tour on the KEA-TBA material until the end of time if they want.
And if spirit's a sign,

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #2042 on: June 13, 2016, 11:27:11 PM »
That's definitely true. I don't know why they'd make a new album if they didn't want to, though, given that they can tour on the KEA-TBA material until the end of time if they want.

I think it's mainly due to the pressure of the fans.  People keep wanting Metallica more and more to release music.  However, if Metallica does a lengthy year-long arena tour in 2017 and they play like 5-6 songs from the new album, people are going to whine and complain that they are playing too much new material and want to hear the classics, even though Metallica's been doing that on and off for like 5 years now and their setlists have gone super stale now at this point.  People can be pretty fickle if that would be the case.

Online Mladen

« Reply #2043 on: June 14, 2016, 03:34:00 AM »
Yep, people will talk shit about Metallica whatever they decide to do. But I'm hoping for a new album and a tour that features new songs, they've been playing the same old stuff for way too long and I can't believe some people would prefer hearing them over and over again.

Online Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #2044 on: June 14, 2016, 03:46:59 AM »
Considering how phoned in Death Magnetic was, the worst kind of album where you make an album only to please the fans and with zero passion or enthusiasm (and it shows) I can't say I'm that excited about a new Metallica album. But even DM aside, before that you had St. Anger and it has been a LONG time since we got anything good from them. I'd say parts of ReLoad and all of Load is good, but that's still 20 years ago.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #2045 on: June 14, 2016, 03:53:14 AM »
I don't get the feeling they've been inspired to write a new classic, all I'm really hoping for is an album that's more suited to their current level of ability, and with listenable production. If they manage that, it should turn out ok. I haven't had any expectations from a new Metallica album in the time I've been listening to them, so my hopes aren't set too high.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline Tomislav95

« Reply #2046 on: June 14, 2016, 04:00:12 AM »
I'd like to hear some passion on the new album. If it's Load 3, I'm all for it. DM, to me, feels really uninspired.
...the years just pass like trains
I wave but they don't slow down...

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2047 on: June 14, 2016, 04:37:10 AM »
James Hetfield : " We're mixing the album now and it will be out in the Fall. "

Offline kaos2900

« Reply #2048 on: June 14, 2016, 06:52:09 AM »
Count me in as one who is not all that excited for the new album. It's pretty clear that at this point in their careers that there is little to no passion to actually create new music. When you're last truly great album is a collection of covers and came out almost 20 YEARS AGO then it's hard to stay passionate about a band. Honestly, based on the last 20 years of their career I think Metallica have turned into one of the most overrated bands. They're contemporaires (Megadeth, Slayer, Anthrax) have all been putting out solid music that surpasses anything Metallica has done since 1988.

Online mikeyd23

« Reply #2049 on: June 14, 2016, 07:38:22 AM »
Honestly, I'm not too excited about a new album, but even if they continue with the caliber of songs on DM and actually put out a good sounding record with good production, I'll enjoy it.

My love for what Het does both on guitar and vocally will allow me to enjoy it to a degree. To this day, I still think it's a shame Het wasn't able to surround himself with other great musicians, think of what he could have done with truly great players.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2050 on: June 14, 2016, 09:26:58 AM »
Honestly, I'm not too excited about a new album, but even if they continue with the caliber of songs on DM and actually put out a good sounding record with good production, I'll enjoy it.

My love for what Het does both on guitar and vocally will allow me to enjoy it to a degree. To this day, I still think it's a shame Het wasn't able to surround himself with other great musicians, think of what he could have done with truly great players.

That or a solo album at least. Their no side projects rule is stupid. As if Kirk will go off and make a solo album with other musicians and decide he likes it more and quits Metallica.

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
  • What a hell of a day to embrace disorder
« Reply #2051 on: June 14, 2016, 09:36:26 AM »
Rubin is producing again right? That pretty much guarantees that it will sound like shit.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2052 on: June 14, 2016, 09:42:27 AM »
Rubin is producing again right? That pretty much guarantees that it will sound like shit.

Surely they'd have to be completely oblivious to release another album that sounds that awful given DM's reputation.
But thanks for reminding me that Rubin is still involved. :(

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2053 on: June 14, 2016, 09:46:47 AM »
No Rubin is *NOT* Producing.

It's Greg Fidelman. Who produced the Ronnie Rising cover, the Through The Never live audio and Slipknot's most recent album.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2054 on: June 14, 2016, 09:50:06 AM »
Wikipedia mentions both, but I haven't been following who has had what input.
It doesn't mean much to me who produced a cover, I'm more concerned about the influence on the songwriting process.

Online mikeyd23

« Reply #2055 on: June 14, 2016, 09:54:00 AM »
As far as I know, Kotowboy is right. Rubin is not involved. Which is a good thing.

Greg's production on Ronnie Rising and TTN was good, hopefully that holds true.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2056 on: June 14, 2016, 09:55:51 AM »
There's loads of studio pics from the band and Rick is not in any of them.

Also - Kirk confirmed recently that Greg is the producer.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2057 on: June 14, 2016, 09:56:48 AM »
There's loads of studio pics from the band and Rick is not in any of them.

Also - Kirk confirmed recently that Greg is the producer.

Good news! Or at least, the absence of bad news. :biggrin:

Online fadetoblackdude7

« Reply #2058 on: June 14, 2016, 10:32:46 AM »
The people who aren't excited about it are the people who will probably enjoy it the most hahaha

Online Adami

« Reply #2059 on: June 14, 2016, 10:36:52 AM »
The people who aren't excited about it are the people who will probably enjoy it the most hahaha

I sure hope so. I got into Metallica 18 years ago at least. They started me on my musical path when I was a kid. I would love to enjoy their new album, but I don't expect I will.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Online mikeyd23

« Reply #2060 on: June 14, 2016, 10:59:30 AM »
I agree with what some people have been saying in this thread- they don't seem excited to release new music. It seems like a chore to them when they discuss it. That just doesn't seem like a good sign...

Offline black_biff_stadler

• 6th place finalist at New Orleans Skullet Fest 2010
  • DT.net Member
  • blackwater_floyd, get it?
« Reply #2061 on: June 14, 2016, 11:44:23 AM »
The Un4given: Scenes From a Drudgery
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Online Adami

« Reply #2062 on: June 14, 2016, 11:46:39 AM »
If we had to sit there and, 'Okay, boys, now you write for the rest of the year and then you spend the next year after that recording' — I would pull what seven hairs I have left, I'd pull those out and rather just stab myself in the eye with nails or whatever.

From Lars Ulrich. Super stoked!
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Online Mladen

« Reply #2063 on: June 14, 2016, 11:53:30 AM »
I want to get excited but I'm afraid.  :lol

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2064 on: June 14, 2016, 12:37:10 PM »
The Un4given: Scenes From a Drudgery