Author Topic: The Metallica Thread v. Reloaded  (Read 384743 times)

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
Re: The Metallica Thread v. Reloaded
« Reply #1995 on: May 04, 2016, 12:16:50 PM »
Makes me wonder if Kirk has arthritis or something...
I find it more likely that he just hasn't seriously practiced in possibly decades.

Imagine getting a super high paying job and then realizing after a while that you no longer have to try. You can't get fired. You can't get demoted. Your job is 100% secure, no matter how you perform. Wouldn't you just stop caring and phone it in? Especially since your job is just to recreate (mostly) what other people told you to do?
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #1996 on: May 04, 2016, 12:21:19 PM »
I find it more likely that he just hasn't seriously practiced in possibly decades.

Imagine getting a super high paying job and then realizing after a while that you no longer have to try. You can't get fired. You can't get demoted. Your job is 100% secure, no matter how you perform. Wouldn't you just stop caring and phone it in? Especially since your job is just to recreate (mostly) what other people told you to do?

Add to that the concept that intellectually you have moved on to another job in your head (meaning, Kirk is at this point possibly more interested in other music forms, not the form he has been playing in some form or another for the last 35 years). 

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #1997 on: May 04, 2016, 12:22:04 PM »

Personally if it was me, no freaking way I would phone it in, that's not how I'm wired. Everyone's different though...

Online Adami

« Reply #1998 on: May 04, 2016, 12:23:30 PM »

Personally if it was me, no freaking way I would phone it in, that's not how I'm wired. Everyone's different though...

Which is probably why a guy like James isn't phoning it in, but it's also his music. It's not Kirk's music.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #1999 on: May 04, 2016, 01:44:06 PM »
Which is probably why a guy like James isn't phoning it in, but it's also his music. It's not Kirk's music.

Agreed.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2000 on: May 04, 2016, 01:51:35 PM »

I thought it was well known.

Offline TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #2001 on: May 04, 2016, 03:58:29 PM »

Add to that the concept that intellectually you have moved on to another job in your head (meaning, Kirk is at this point possibly more interested in other music forms, not the form he has been playing in some form or another for the last 35 years).

This is another good point. I've heard him do some bluesy stuff recently and his playing sounded great and fresh. He's probably just burnt out from playing metal for his entire career going all the way back to his days in Exodus.
People figured out that the white thing that comes out of cows' titties could be drunk, and the relation between sweet desires and women's bellies growing up for 9 months. It can't be THAT hard to figure out how a trumpet works.”

-MirrorMask

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2002 on: May 04, 2016, 04:01:01 PM »

This is another good point. I've heard him do some bluesy stuff recently and his playing sounded great and fresh. He's probably just burnt out from playing metal for his entire career going all the way back to his days in Exodus.

Not even just playing metal, but the same damn songs all of the time. 

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2003 on: May 16, 2016, 04:36:52 AM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RfVNWcLG15M

James singing MotorBreath acoustic. :)

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #2004 on: May 16, 2016, 07:31:27 AM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RfVNWcLG15M

James singing MotorBreath acoustic. :)

Cool video, James' voice is sounding really good these days.

Offline dparrott

« Reply #2005 on: May 16, 2016, 09:01:05 AM »
Is that acoustic show recording available (not fan shot)?
"I don't know nuttin about nuttin" - Marshawn Lynch

The very soul of what was once real music is now lost in a digital quagmire of emotionless sonic madness.

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #2006 on: May 16, 2016, 10:00:22 AM »
I keep saying it but Lars now is better at his instrument than Kirk.

Listen to the entire Record Store day from Rasputin. Lars is SOLID bar Hit The Lights.

Kirk is all over the place.
I'd find it a tough call. Clearly neither of them give a shit anymore. You check out one of their last shows and it's hard to tell what song Lars is even trying to play. Adami mentioned earlier that Lars simplifies things down to the point of nothingness, and that's on display here. Any time he tries to use the kick drums he falls apart, so he mostly just ignores them (which actually helps).

Viewer discretion is advised:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fXrRGKKharQ#
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2007 on: May 16, 2016, 10:29:10 AM »
Is that acoustic show recording available (not fan shot)?

I imagine it will be soon.

Keep checking www.livemetallica.com.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2008 on: May 16, 2016, 11:53:35 AM »

Kirk is absolutely awful there. He doesn't nail a single thing.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #2009 on: May 16, 2016, 12:48:56 PM »

Kirk is absolutely awful there. He doesn't nail a single thing.

How does a guy at that level fuck up that repeating figure at the start of "For Whom The Bell Tolls"??  How many times has he played that??  1,000?  More?   Mofo, please.    Though I don't know the material as good as some of you I didn't think Lars did all that bad.

But what must be said is:  there aren't three guys in metal cooler than James Hetfield.   Bruce Dickinson may still be the standard for metal frontmen, but I'm not sure I can name a better guitar player/lead singer at this point.  I've never seen Metallica live (and resist because I'm not a stadium show guy) but if I do go, it will be to see him.  Period. 

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2010 on: May 16, 2016, 12:55:04 PM »
Hetfield is amazing. I so wish the band had more material.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline 425

« Reply #2011 on: May 16, 2016, 01:26:36 PM »
But what must be said is:  there aren't three guys in metal cooler than James Hetfield.   Bruce Dickinson may still be the standard for metal frontmen, but I'm not sure I can name a better guitar player/lead singer at this point.  I've never seen Metallica live (and resist because I'm not a stadium show guy) but if I do go, it will be to see him.  Period.

Yep. I love Bruce, and I like Iron Maiden better than Metallica, but Bruce isn't cool in the way Het is. He's cool, but in a slightly nerdy way. Hetfield is just cool. There's a lot to be said for the way that he stands in front of these sold-out packed stadiums and just does his thing with an attitude that is somehow both professional and rock star. While I'll admit that a lot of Metallica's publicity photos are eminently uncool, I think James hasn't really lost any of his cool and has maybe gained a bit of gravitas with age when he's up there performing.

In that same "The Night Before" stadium show, where Kirk looks out of it and Lars looks like a crazy old guy trying to keep up with the metal crowd, James is still perfectly in his element.
And if spirit's a sign,
Then it's only a matter of time

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #2012 on: May 16, 2016, 02:06:31 PM »
While I share everybody's opinion of James, he's burning through that respect pretty quickly by putting shit like this out there. Given his stature, he's the one that should keeping the knuckleheads in line. At some point pride should kick in, and that has to be embarrassing as hell. Does he not care either?

Unlike Stadler, I've seen them many times. Ranging from when they were an opening act to the last tour. I wouldn't have any interest at this point, though. Even with two of them sucking as bad as they do now, the energy and music at a Met gig is worth the price of admission. At the same time this is just insulting. If they want me to spend my money to see them, they need to put forth some sort of effort to actually play their parts. Frankly, it seems to me that they're treating their fans like suckers.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #2013 on: May 16, 2016, 02:29:26 PM »
Always had a huge respect for Hetfield as a front man. Really good rythm guitar player and his voice is still pretty great.

Speaking of Kirk, kind of surprised how tight he nails the intro to Motorbreath here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TDZ3Neho0Qs

Kill ém All, always had a special love for that album.
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline kaos2900

« Reply #2014 on: May 19, 2016, 01:27:49 PM »
I always wished Hetfield would have done a side project with other (more talented) musicians.

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #2015 on: June 05, 2016, 12:34:08 PM »
I'm watching the '89 show from Live Shit.

So fucking good. I've grown to respect Jason a lot more in the last year or so. Great showmanship. So Metal. Much bass .
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Online Adami

« Reply #2016 on: June 05, 2016, 12:37:35 PM »

So fucking good. I've grown to respect Jason a lot more in the last year or so. Great showmanship. So Metal. Much bass .

Yea, Jason brought more energy to any show than I can imagine most people bringing to a single show. And it was always completely authentic. It never felt like he was playing a part, or forcing it, he was just on stage doing his thing.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2016, 12:55:26 PM by Adami »
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline fadetoblackdude7

« Reply #2017 on: June 05, 2016, 12:53:52 PM »

Love that show, so badass. Miss Jason mucho

Offline JayOctavarium

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2018 on: June 05, 2016, 12:59:08 PM »
Funny note... my dog totally started going nuts during Fade To Black's riffage. Bitch was moshing.
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
« Reply #2019 on: June 05, 2016, 01:22:33 PM »
Is that the same dog you were having the clam bake date with?

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2020 on: June 05, 2016, 01:46:13 PM »

Love that show, so badass. Miss Jason mucho

Jason was ALWAYS awesome!!
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline JayOctavarium

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2021 on: June 05, 2016, 02:14:06 PM »
Now I am on to Cunning Stunts.

The lack of hair is disturbing.

Yea. Haha

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #2022 on: June 06, 2016, 06:12:44 AM »

Yea. Haha

I hate Cunning Stunts. This was the point when they weren't really playing their old stuff. Hell, even Master of Puppets was only being played up to the end of the second chorus.
People figured out that the white thing that comes out of cows' titties could be drunk, and the relation between sweet desires and women's bellies growing up for 9 months. It can't be THAT hard to figure out how a trumpet works.”

-MirrorMask

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #2023 on: June 06, 2016, 07:28:23 AM »
Live Shit is soooo good. Might have to rewatch it myself...

Offline JayOctavarium

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2024 on: June 07, 2016, 07:32:40 AM »

Yea. Haha

I hate Cunning Stunts. This was the point when they weren't really playing their old stuff. Hell, even Master of Puppets was only being played up to the end of the second chorus.

I noticed that.  I skipped around to a few specific songs...  Then gave up.

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2025 on: June 07, 2016, 02:08:35 PM »
Cunning Stunts was what introduced me to the band so I love it.

Plus they were tight and Lars could still play like a boss.

Offline seasonsinthesky

• roo)))m noise
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2026 on: June 07, 2016, 06:07:03 PM »

Yea. Haha

I noticed that.  I skipped around to a few specific songs...  Then gave up.

Jason's bass/solo doodle is really great on Cunning Stunts. I also dig the Kill/Ride medley but I know why those get a lot of thumbs down (especially on a Dream Theater forum...).

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #2027 on: June 07, 2016, 08:01:29 PM »

89 is great but IMO you can already see a sharp drop in quality by 92. Huge sections of the show taken up by slow, plodding, unexciting songs; crowd "singalongs", etc.

Offline kaos2900

« Reply #2028 on: June 08, 2016, 06:34:04 AM »

89 is great but IMO you can already see a sharp drop in quality by 92. Huge sections of the show taken up by slow, plodding, unexciting songs; crowd "singalongs", etc.

That's because this is when Metallica turned from being a kick-ass metal band into a business.

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #2029 on: June 08, 2016, 06:53:42 AM »
Yeah I think I'd generally agree. I will say though, I think the peak of their live performances was early on the Black Album tour. Before Het blew his voice out obviously.