Author Topic: The Metallica Thread v. Reloaded  (Read 384775 times)

Offline Enigmachine

Re: The Metallica Thread v. Reloaded
« Reply #1855 on: April 02, 2016, 03:18:57 PM »
Honestly, I think the interesting thing about DM is that it's a more mature look at their sound circa AJFA. Mature being a relative term, but still. I think it's certainly more creative than SA, because it is creative in the sense that they created good songs, while SA is creative in the Yoko Ono sense in which they did some weird stuff that made it nearly unlistenable. To me, creativity is not about novelty, it's about making good art. That can include novelty, but it doesn't necessarily need to. SA is novel and really bad. DM is not novel at all, but it's good (top 3 Metallica for me behind RTL and AJFA). So for me, the goodness of DM far outweighs its lack of novelty.

Yeah, I'd agree with that.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1856 on: April 02, 2016, 05:40:13 PM »
Great to see the love for DM!
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #1857 on: April 02, 2016, 05:42:15 PM »
Remember those guys who re-recorded SA with better quality, better performances and editing their songs?

Yea, that was the wrong album for that. They should have done DM. I feel like if that album is edited down, re-recorded with better quality and MUCH better performances on drums and lead guitar that it would be quite a bit better, also vocal harmonies would help. But the performances and quality on DM are just really bad on Lars and Kirk's parts.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #1858 on: April 02, 2016, 07:34:55 PM »
A step backwards creatively.

St Anger may have been like WTF? But at least it was nothing like they'd done before.

Death Magnetic felt like an attempt to revisit former glories.

Yep, that. SA was more creative than DM because it was new ground, and they were exploring new ways of writing and recording. The result was mostly ass, but that's because the different direction was off base and was a failed experiment.
DM is the much better album of the two, but that's because they played it safe by retreading the past. The problem with that is when I hear it, it just makes me want to listen to all of their far superior albums that they're attempting to emulate.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #1859 on: April 02, 2016, 09:45:18 PM »
I gotta speak up for St Anger.  I freakin LOVE that album.

Yes, the tin can snare sounded terrible, and I really wish that Lars would have at least fixed just that one thing to make it more listenable...and the studio run-through on the DVD sounded better than the album.   But I actually like that album far more than The Black Album.    :metal 

TBA is to SA what a toy poodle is to a rabid junkyard dog.   

Death Magnetic has good songs....but became boring to me very quickly.   I really liked it at first, but I never listen to it any more.   And I especially love that remake of St Anger that those guys did.  I think it really shows how those songs shine when they are recorded a bit better.   (I only wish they hadn't edited down the tracks so much)
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline Jaffa

• Just Jaffa
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1860 on: April 03, 2016, 01:30:20 AM »
To me, creativity is not about novelty, it's about making good art. That can include novelty, but it doesn't necessarily need to.

That's an interesting way of looking at it, though I'm not sure I can agree with it.  I suppose it just comes down to how you define the word 'create', so maybe this is just a pointless semantic disagreement, but I tend to think that creativity has more to do with originality than quality. 

Look beyond art for a moment and think about creativity in a wider scope.  Think about math, for instance.  In mathematics, efficient problem-solving might involve using a calculator or applying a formula.  Creative problem-solving, on the other hand, is when you don't have a calculator and you don't know the formula, so you have to figure it out on your own.  And it might not go well.  Maybe you will end up with the wrong answer.  Or maybe you'll get the answer right, but your method will involve ten times as many steps as the most efficient formula.  In that case, the formula is probably a much better way of solving the problem.  But there's nothing creative about that neat little formula.  The piece of scratch paper with bizarre combinations of numbers and symbols frantically scribbled all over it?  That's creative. 

In my opinion, Death Magnetic is a much better album than St. Anger.  But it is also a lot closer to the original Metallica formula. 
Sincerely,
Jaffa

Offline Enigmachine

« Reply #1861 on: April 03, 2016, 03:59:48 AM »
I think the similarity between DM and the first few Metallica albums is overstated. You wouldn't see anything like Cyanide or All Nightmare Long on MoP.

And I especially love that remake of St Anger that those guys did.  I think it really shows how those songs shine when they are recorded a bit better.   (I only wish they hadn't edited down the tracks so much)

tbh I didn't particularly like that either. IMO St Anger is mostly unsalvageable.

Online Dream Team

« Reply #1862 on: April 03, 2016, 05:50:53 AM »
Here's my controversial Metallica opinion: Metallica hasn't released an album with consistenly good solos since Ride the Lightning. Even then, RtL has a few missteps, like in Call of Ktulu.

Master of Puppets was a huge step backwards in terms of solos; the only ones I like are James's solo in the title track, all but the main solo in Welcome Home (not-so-coincidentally my favorite track on the album), and the solos in Despicable Heroes and Orion. The remaining solos are all awful, and single-handedly turn what could have been their best album into one that is merely ok. AJFA was a step in the right direction, but the faster solos are still subpar. And don't get me started on Death Magnetic. I would rather have another album with no leads than another DM.

Kirk's solos on TBA are fantastic.

Actually they are way too samey just like the drums. AJFA has his best lead work.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1863 on: April 03, 2016, 06:44:46 AM »
IMO Kirk's best solos are on RTL. Very melodic and memorable.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1864 on: April 03, 2016, 06:48:20 AM »
I find Kirk's solos to be of very similar quality up to and including TBA. He was never a great guitarist, but all of those solos were strong. There are still some great solos on Load/Reload too, but he was more out of his element in that style, and he has thoroughly sucked wang since then. DM is a trainwreck as far as the solos go, drumming too.

And Hetfield is easily the best guitarist in the band. His melodic lead sections were the best.

Offline Train of Naught

• I sympathize, with a cockroach
  • .....and a cockroach
« Reply #1865 on: April 03, 2016, 06:57:31 AM »
I really like most of Kirk's solos, Ride the Lightning was the best Kirk album though IMO.

I bet on any given day Ride and Justice could swap around in rankings, they're that closely tied for #1 and 2, but I think Kirk's soloing is far superior on RtL. My favorite solos from both Master of Puppets and ...And Justice For All aren't even Kirk's solos :lol

About the DM debate, it doesn't get a lot of love, fair enough. How does it sound similar to their early albums in any way other than it mainly being thrash metal though? I don't get it.
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1866 on: April 03, 2016, 08:11:35 AM »
I find Kirk's solos to be of very similar quality up to and including TBA. He was never a great guitarist, but all of those solos were strong. There are still some great solos on Load/Reload too, but he was more out of his element in that style, and he has thoroughly sucked wang since then. DM is a trainwreck as far as the solos go, drumming too.

And Hetfield is easily the best guitarist in the band. His melodic lead sections were the best.

In terms of overall talent it goes -

1. Hetfield. Can play drums, bass, guitar and piano. Can also sing. Less so live but easily the best vocalist of the Big 4.

2. Rob Trujillo. Can play guitar and bass. Not a great vocalist but good at gang vocals.

3. Lars Ulrich. Yes he is easily better at live drumming than Kirk is at live lead guitar. Controversial but Kirk never nails a solo live. Never. Lars is WAY better now than he was in 2004. Has done vocals

in the past. Decent voice. Lars had admitted to practicing a lot more than he used to. I think it shows. He's not perfect but has improved since 2006 or so.

4. Kirk. Rhythm Ok. Awful lead playing. Tone deaf singer.  Although surprisingly good at gang vocals. Probably had tips from Hetfield.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1867 on: April 03, 2016, 08:19:22 AM »

In terms of overall talent it goes -

1. Hetfield. Can play drums, bass, guitar and piano. Can also sing. Less so live but easily the best vocalist of the Big 4.

2. Rob Trujillo. Can play guitar and bass. Not a great vocalist but good at gang vocals.

3. Lars Ulrich. Yes he is easily better at live drumming than Kirk is at live lead guitar. Controversial but Kirk never nails a solo live. Never. Lars is WAY better now than he was in 2004. Has done vocals

in the past. Decent voice. Lars had admitted to practicing a lot more than he used to. I think it shows. He's not perfect but has improved since 2006 or so.

4. Kirk. Rhythm Ok. Awful lead playing. Tone deaf singer.  Although surprisingly good at gang vocals. Probably had tips from Hetfield.

No probs with any of that except that Anthrax's Bush (clearly) and Belladonna would count as stronger vocalists than Hetfield in my book.....Joey does a fair Steve Perry impersonation actually.  I would rather listen to Hetfield than Belladonna in many cases but technically I think the latter is a superior vocalist.
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1868 on: April 03, 2016, 08:46:11 AM »
That's funny Brent. You are definitely not the first person to put Belladonna and Perry in the same sentence. They've been saying that for ages. But I have seriously never listened to Belladonna and have ever thought of Steve Perry. Ever!

To me, Hetfield is Perfect. he's definitely worked on his craft, and is an amazing front man.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1869 on: April 03, 2016, 08:51:57 AM »
That's funny Brent. You are definitely not the first person to put Belladonna and Perry in the same sentence. They've been saying that for ages. But I have seriously never listened to Belladonna and have ever thought of Steve Perry. Ever!

I never listen to Joey in Anthrax and think of Steve Perry at all.  Ever ! :lol He just happens to warm up to (or cover) Steve Perry occasionally and from what I have seen he's no Steve Perry , but he does have more ability than he displays in Anthrax.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iM7E_ve5zCQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sZD7pw6t_uA
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #1870 on: April 03, 2016, 11:56:56 AM »
Hetfield has the best timbre of anyone of the big four singers and his sense of pitch and melody is great as well. His vocals are fairly accessible which is a big part of why Metallica has had the most mainstream success of the four bands.
People figured out that the white thing that comes out of cows' titties could be drunk, and the relation between sweet desires and women's bellies growing up for 9 months. It can't be THAT hard to figure out how a trumpet works.”

-MirrorMask

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1871 on: April 03, 2016, 12:06:20 PM »
Yeah and Tom Araya is the worst.

All he does is shout and it's nearly the same vocal rhythm for every song.

Verse = " 1 2 3 !  1 2 3 !  1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ! " repeat x4

Chorus = " 12345!!!!!!! " repeat x4

Offline Enigmachine

« Reply #1872 on: April 03, 2016, 01:00:21 PM »
The way I see it:

Araya<Turbin<Mustaine<Hetfield<Bush<Belladonna

Offline fadetoblackdude7

« Reply #1873 on: April 03, 2016, 02:10:32 PM »
I wish someone would deprive Kirk of all wah pedals. Never gonna happen though.

Online Adami

« Reply #1874 on: April 03, 2016, 08:40:46 PM »
I wish someone would deprive Kirk of all wah pedals. Never gonna happen though.

At this point, honestly, the wah pedal is the only thing making him sound like an awful guitarist and not someone who has no idea how to play at all. Think of all the mistakes you hear from, and all the sloppiness, then keep in mind how much worse it would be without a wah to cover some of it up.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline 425

« Reply #1875 on: April 03, 2016, 09:11:52 PM »
To me, creativity is not about novelty, it's about making good art. That can include novelty, but it doesn't necessarily need to.

That's an interesting way of looking at it, though I'm not sure I can agree with it.  I suppose it just comes down to how you define the word 'create', so maybe this is just a pointless semantic disagreement, but I tend to think that creativity has more to do with originality than quality. 

Look beyond art for a moment and think about creativity in a wider scope.  Think about math, for instance.  In mathematics, efficient problem-solving might involve using a calculator or applying a formula.  Creative problem-solving, on the other hand, is when you don't have a calculator and you don't know the formula, so you have to figure it out on your own.  And it might not go well.  Maybe you will end up with the wrong answer.  Or maybe you'll get the answer right, but your method will involve ten times as many steps as the most efficient formula.  In that case, the formula is probably a much better way of solving the problem.  But there's nothing creative about that neat little formula.  The piece of scratch paper with bizarre combinations of numbers and symbols frantically scribbled all over it?  That's creative.

I don't 100% disagree with this, but I think there's a fundamental difference between the scenario you're describing and artistic creativity. If you just plug numbers into a given formula, this is not very creative because you didn't create anything. But when you write a song, you did create something. Even if the song is in a similar style to a song you already wrote, so long as it is a fundamentally different song, it is creative. This is definitely true of Death Magnetic. Yes, that album is stylistically at least a cousin of ...And Justice For All: it features long, rhythm-centric metal songs, often with multiple musical motifs. And at times it uses a song structure similar to one from AJFA—The Day That Never Comes and One, for example. But it doesn't rip riffs or melodies, and it doesn't rely too heavily on filling in the blanks from AJFA song structures. To say that DM is equivalent to a mathematics student plugging numbers into a given formula is to sell the work that Metallica did on DM short, I think.

I know a lot of music fans, and especially prog fans, love novelty. Slight tangent: I've started saying that you can categorize prog fans into those who follow the Steven Wilson school of thought and those who follow the Neal Morse school of thought—novelty of output vs. sheer quality of output. I know that the Steven Wilson types love novelty, and novelty can be a good thing, but I brought up what I said about St. Anger partially as a response to the overemphasis on novelty to which that type of thinking can lead. Novelty can be all well and good, but novelty cannot be your standard of quality, because novelty is not necessarily a good thing. When Yoko Ono screams atonally and incoherently into a microphone for several minutes on end, that is novel. Nothing like that has been heard in popular music before. But it's still bad music. And it's not creative, because it doesn't create anything that anyone could reasonably call valuable.

I'm not saying that St. Anger is as non-musical as incoherent screaming, but the incoherent screaming is an extreme to prove a point. Everything novel about St. Anger is something that reduces its quality as music. Mid-tempo metal without guitar solos had been done before 2003. The novel thing about St. Anger is basically that it has awful production, particularly on the snare drum. That doesn't make it good, and it's not creative. It doesn't create anything of artistic value. There's pretty much nothing novel about Death Magnetic, stylistically, but I say it's more creative than St. Anger because in making it, Metallica created some good songs—better songs, IMO, than can be found on St. Anger. And the only thing St. Anger created that Death Magnetic did not was a bad-sounding snare drum.

So I'd say that novelty can be a part of creativity. Something like Images and Words is pretty creative, not just because Dream Theater created some very good music, but also because they created a style of music that hadn't really been heard before. But the latter act of creation actually was the creation of something that a reasonable person could find potentially to be of artistic merit. If I drop a spoon in a garbage disposal, turn it on, record the sound, play it back on loop for 70 minutes and sell that as an album, it might be a novel album, but it's not creative at all, because no reasonable person would say that I created something of value right there. And that would be less creative than A Dramatic Turn of Events, even though A Dramatic Turn of Events is not that novel due to its strong stylistic similarities to Images and Words. But because of that novelty that IAW had, it would be more creative than ADTOE. Again, this is sort of an extreme to prove a point, but I think this is the best way to give an idea of the way I think that novelty plays a role in creativity but cannot be considered to be the whole thing. Your mileage may vary, though.

His rhythm playing ain't that good either, IMO. Isn't Het suspected/known to do most of the rhythm playing on their studio stuff? There's probably a reason for that. And these days, Kirk has a tendency just not to play the songs right—for no good reason. I agree with your ranking because of that: at least Lars tries to play the songs right and usually does so well enough.

And if you want to say that Kirk had some good solos back in the 80s and that therefore his ceiling of talent is higher than Lars, I would reply that Lars did some good drumming back on AJFA in particular. But neither of them is anywhere near the elite level at their particular instrument, and Lars (though he did get lazy) did not get as lazy as Kirk did.
And if spirit's a sign,
Then it's only a matter of time

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1876 on: April 04, 2016, 02:22:09 AM »
James played all rhythm on Kill Ride Master Justice Black and Death Magnetic.

Fun Fact : since Het also played the solo on Nothing Else Matters - Kirk didn't actually record guitar on that song.

Offline TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #1877 on: April 04, 2016, 10:09:49 AM »

Fun Fact : since Het also played the solo on Nothing Else Matters - Kirk didn't actually record guitar on that song.

One of only two songs that Kirk didn't play on with the other being (Anesthesia) Pulling Teeth. James also didn't play on that track seeing as it's a bass solo with drums backing it making Lars the only member to play on every song.
People figured out that the white thing that comes out of cows' titties could be drunk, and the relation between sweet desires and women's bellies growing up for 9 months. It can't be THAT hard to figure out how a trumpet works.”

-MirrorMask

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1878 on: April 04, 2016, 10:40:51 AM »
My fave thing on that track is " Bass Solo Take 1 ". . . .. :rollin.

As if it was the one and only take. Nobody thought to go " shall we do another to see if it's any better ? "

It just smacks of 18 year olds in the studio going " lets just say *take 1* and it'll make Cliff sound extra amazing ".

Online Adami

« Reply #1879 on: April 04, 2016, 11:01:29 AM »
My fave thing on that track is " Bass Solo Take 1 ". . . .. :rollin.

As if it was the one and only take. Nobody thought to go " shall we do another to see if it's any better ? "

It just smacks of 18 year olds in the studio going " lets just say *take 1* and it'll make Cliff sound extra amazing ".

Or they thought it was cute? Or maybe it was the first take.

No need to be cynical to this degree.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #1880 on: April 04, 2016, 11:37:27 AM »
Maybe he had the song all figured out that by the time he actually recorded it, he already knew and felt that it was good enough to end up on the album.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #1881 on: April 04, 2016, 01:03:58 PM »
Regardless of everyone's take on the take issue, it's such an amazing performance and the song that made me fall in love with bass guitar. I've been playing for almost 11 years now, and I'm still blown away by Anesthesia. Cliff= :hefdaddy

-MirrorMask

Offline Enigmachine

« Reply #1882 on: April 04, 2016, 01:19:42 PM »
It's impressive, but awful IMO. I don't think it should've been on the album.

Offline Randaran

• The Fate of Destruction is also the Joy of Rebirth
« Reply #1883 on: April 04, 2016, 01:22:54 PM »

This. Anesthesia is the only 80s Metallica track I skip every single time.
Only a prog fan would try to measure how much they enjoy a song by an equation. :lol
My anime can beat up your anime.

Offline 425

« Reply #1884 on: April 04, 2016, 08:32:14 PM »

That's what I thought. I mean, I know Hetfield is a better rhythm guitarist than most people, but I think it still says something that they didn't even bother having Kirk play rhythm parts on the albums that he would end up playing live anyway. Seems like at best Kirk doesn't care deeply about his rhythm playing and at worst they (James and Lars) think that him playing the rhythm parts would be detrimental to the quality of the final studio product.
And if spirit's a sign,

Online Adami

« Reply #1885 on: April 04, 2016, 08:33:50 PM »

That's what I thought. I mean, I know Hetfield is a better rhythm guitarist than most people, but I think it still says something that they didn't even bother having Kirk play rhythm parts on the albums that he would end up playing live anyway. Seems like at best Kirk doesn't care deeply about his rhythm playing and at worst they (James and Lars) think that him playing the rhythm parts would be detrimental to the quality of the final studio product.

It's just easier to have one guy do it, especially if he wrote most of it anyway. A guitar player as good as James can double or triple his parts much more tightly and faster than having Kirk come in and try to do it.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1886 on: April 04, 2016, 08:51:58 PM »

This. Anesthesia is the only 80s Metallica track I skip every single time.

There are tracks I skip on other albums, but it's the only track I'll ever skip on KEA. It shouldn't have been on the album. It kills the flow and isn't very good.

Offline 425

« Reply #1887 on: April 04, 2016, 10:36:16 PM »

It's just easier to have one guy do it, especially if he wrote most of it anyway. A guitar player as good as James can double or triple his parts much more tightly and faster than having Kirk come in and try to do it.

I'll readily admit to having no idea how music production works. But would I be off-base in saying that a lot of bands don't do this? To use an obviously comparable band to Metallica, Dave Mustaine writes a lot of the material in Megadeth, but I don't think he plays the second guitarist's rhythm parts in the studio? Or maybe he does and I'm just completely clueless—as I said, I'll readily admit to having no idea what I'm talking about.
And if spirit's a sign,

Online Adami

« Reply #1888 on: April 04, 2016, 10:37:43 PM »
Some bands do it, some bands don't.

As far as I know, a band like Iced Earth does it for the same reasons.

Hell, when I recorded my former band's album, I often had one guitar player play both parts because it ended up just sounding a lot tighter.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #1889 on: April 04, 2016, 10:39:09 PM »
Black Label Society. Zakk plays all the fiddles.
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"